Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2021, 08:41   #1696
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
There is an extremely huge difference between what Mahindra was in 2010 v/s the present times as an automobile manufacturer in terms of technical expertise of building world-class automobiles, excellent examples being the XUV300 and Marazzo.
This technical expertise and manufacturing finesse would normally take decades to perfect the normal route has been acquired much faster thanks to acquisitions such as Ssanyong.
All that expertise has gone into the 2020 Thar without a doubt. The current Gen Thar has been re-designed grounds-up from scratch which has made it possible to clear the crash tests and towards achieving its form-factor.
The 1st Gen Thar was never a grounds up approach and this would be a limiting factor towards incorporating any of the current-gen features into the vehicle.
Hi mate,

I am not talking about putting up the comfort and convenience features into the 1st gen Thar. I don’t deny a single bit about the technical expertise and approach they had a decade back and that the way the new gen Thar has come up is indeed a commendable thing and deserves all the credit.

There were many mechanical bits and hardware which were eliminated from the 1st gen Thar but were part of the plan. Apart from the body of MM540 nothing was similar to the old Jeeps, it was an altogether different product and took 2 years before the final version was launched.

Few examples of eliminated stuff are listed below:

1) ABS with tandem brake booster, result was brakes were pathetic and all owners complained. Finally all these were provided between 2015-2019.
2) Rear leaf springs, whereas a better suspension could have been offered as the chassis used was that of the Scorpio which had all the necessary mountings.
3) Plonking the Mhawk engine instead of the old school CRDe. A prototype was developed but not launched.
4) Modern Dashboard not provided until 2015. Earlier Dashboard had hacksaw cut pieces.
5) MLD not provided until 2015.
6) Steering column rigidity, steering column was that of bolero which had a 3 point mounting whereas Thar CRDe got a 2 point mounting.
7) B pillar reinforcement not provided in the first few years, as a result the doors would continuously rattle.
8) Fronts seats from the Scorpio or Xylo, the one offered till end belonged to bolero commercial vehicles.

The list goes on and it’s not about expertise because by 2010 Mahindra was already selling Mhawk Scorpio, XUV500(launched around that time), Xylo and so on. As I said in my earlier comment one would require the patience and time to read all the comments made by the late Mr. Behram Danhar on Teambhp. This would give a pretty clear idea what was on the cards and what couldn’t made it to production.

Last edited by abhikb : 19th May 2021 at 08:46.
abhikb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 09:39   #1697
Senior - BHPian

Gentle people, my mahindra thar ignition key refuses to turn. What can I do?

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:19. Reason: Typo.
Old 19th May 2021, 10:23   #1698
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
Gentle people, my mahindra thar ignition key refuses to turn. What can I do?
Try the spare key, if that doesn't work, try and wiggle the steering a bit, while trying to turn the key (do not use excessive force)
If this doesn't work, time for a new lock set.

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:20. Reason: Edited quote.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 10:26   #1699
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
gentle people,

my mahindra thar ignition key refuses to turn. What to do ??
Call Mahindra Helpline as well as RSA. What else would you expect on a forum with such limited info that your ignition key refuses to turn.
Please call Mahindra. Most of the places under lockdown have allowed minor repair of the vehicles.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 10:33   #1700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Try the spare key, if that doesn't work, try and wiggle the steering a bit, while trying to turn the key (do not use excessive force)
If this doesn't work, time for a new lock set.
A new lockset on a 20 day old vehicle? I did drive the Thar through slightly flooded conditions on a previous day. And talking with the breakdown team it seems like the steering is locked and will not budge. So maybe the issue is moisture ingress somewhere down there and that is resulting in the steering lock and resultant issue with ignition. Will update by evening.

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:20. Reason: Typo
Old 19th May 2021, 12:10   #1701
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A new lockset on a 20 day old vehicle? I did drive the Thar through slightly flooded conditions on a previous day. And talking with the breakdown team it seems like the steering is locked and will not budge. So maybe the issue is moisture ingress somewhere down there and that is resulting in the steering lock and resultant issue with ignition. Will update by evening.
Steering rack and lock are two different components, I don't think they are related.
If steering is locked, it's most probably the ignition slot that has gone rogue.

Will wait for your update

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:21. Reason: Edited quote.
Old 19th May 2021, 12:25   #1702
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A new lockset on a 20 day old vehicle?
Did you try this? put slight pressure on the steering wheel to turn it away from the locked position. Then try to turn the key?

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:22. Reason: Edited quote.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 13:45   #1703

Hello All,
Had been busy with and lock down, Hence couldn't post the updates on my new Thar.
Here are the proceedings

Had a short travel to Kerala after receiving the beast. Once i hit the highway i took the Thar for a quick speed test. As i throttle towards 100 kmph speed i get this hissing sound at the utmost upper right corner. While same was not found in my father in law's automatic variant. I wonder why?
After a few days stay we returned back to Bangalore and it was time for the first service check post 1000kms milestone. Apart from fixing few minor niggles i also requested the service center executive for an under body coating which costed about 3000 INR. The vehicle was back home and i was all pepped up to take it for another drive ,but fate had different plans. Just a week later the second wave struck and lockdown happened.
But keeping our faiths strong towards a better future we await the beginning of a new dawn where bewildered adventures awaits us.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20210418_124010__01.jpg

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:22.
AutoSatvik is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 17:28   #1704
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you try this? put slight pressure on the steering wheel to turn it away from the locked position. Then try to turn the key?
Yes, this worked flawlessly now. Wonder why it was not working in the morning. Spoke with breakdown service personnel who advised me to do same thing and told me in case of steering lock the ignition would not turn on and I had applied same pressure on my steering as I would have on any hatchback while gently nudging the key fob.

Wonder why nothing was working then. It now seems that the pressure I applied was not adequate to do the task. The Thar has far bigger tyres and suspension/steering rack setup than a hatchback and the ease of driving makes one forget that this is an entirely different class of vehicle. This is something I need to keep in mind from hereon. The Thar is tall and usually while climbing down I tend to hold the steering and maybe it got locked thus this time round.

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:23. Reason: Typo
lurker is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 19:35   #1705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, this worked flawlessly now
This is one of the most common things in SUVs. Maybe that's why I considered that you would have already tried this.

I have been driving SUVs, especially Safaris and Stormes since many many years. This is regular stuff for me.
Whenever you have wheels and tires which are on the heavy side along with a heavy body weighing down on it, there are forces which move the steering column after you shut down the engine and the powersteering pump/motor turns off.

Can happen if your wheels are not perfectly straight or the ground is not level etc. Etc.

Good. Another thing learnt about SUVs for you.

See if you like those A pillar handles from vendors to get off the car.

Last edited by manson : 21st May 2021 at 00:24. Reason: Edited quote.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th May 2021, 23:28   #1706
BHPian

The Thar upgrades are almost done!!
Adding pictures below. Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210519wa0040.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210517wa0012.jpg
darkpython9 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 10:25   #1707
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
Kindly share clear pictures of the roof rack, especially how it is mounted at the rear on the FRP top. Where did you get it from? Cost?
4x4addict is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 12:47   #1708
BHPian

Quote:
Awesome mods!

Is it a Hella LED light bar installed on top between two Nilight Led Bars?
If so, is it 470mm or 350 mm? Pencil Beam or High Beam?
Old 20th May 2021, 13:32   #1709
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4addict View Post
Kindly share clear pictures of the roof rack, especially how it is mounted at the rear on the FRP top. Where did you get it from? Cost?
Hey 4X4addict,
I've already mentioned all the details in my previous posts. But anyways got the roof rack from Bimbra 4X4, got them to ship it to a local accessory store and got it fitted at said store. Cost me INR18,000 approximately. Adding pictures below.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210520wa0059.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210520wa0058.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Awesome mods!

Is it a Hella LED light bar installed on top between two Nilight Led Bars?
If so, is it 470mm or 350 mm? Pencil Beam or High Beam?
Yes, good eye. Hella 350mm pencil beam. Very good throw.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210520wa0060.jpg
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210520wa0061.jpg
The nilight bars have to be aligned, trying to find time to get to the workshop sometime.

Adding a picture of the switches also
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210520wa0057.jpg
darkpython9 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th May 2021, 13:48   #1710
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, good eye. Hella 350mm pencil beam. Very good throw.
Thank you.

Quote:
Adding a picture of the switches also
Neat work mate.
I have been trying to get hold of Hella 470 Pencil beam for last 2 months.
None of the dealers here have it in stock.
I searched for the same online too, but did not find any stores selling 470 ones.
MithunSathianat is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks