Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2021, 08:53   #1726
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I had visited the service center before the lock down to resolve this issue.
Technical person from Mahindra had visited the service center to attend my case. He informed me that this issue is present for many Thar's due to some gap in actuator.
They had adjusted the gap and returned the vehicle to me to check for few days. Also they informed me, if its not resolved, I may have to leave the vehicle with them for 2 days as they need to fix it dismantling the dashboard.
I could not drive much due to restrictions.
When I took it out yesterday late evening, the issue has re-occurred.
I have the same issue too, I can suggest a simple solution, which I've done. I've gone and placed my anti slip rubber mat on the center vent, it doesn't let air out. So most of the fogging stops, but there is still some from the side vents.
darkpython9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 11:51   #1727
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar bookings cross 55,000 mark, waiting period stands at 10 months

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210529_114809.jpg

Quote:
Mahindra says that it has fast-tracked the process of increasing production capacity both at its Nasik facility and at the supplier-end in order to help reduce the waiting period and meet the growing demand.
Source
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2021, 18:00   #1728
BHPian

Hey All!

This is my first post on Team BHP! I have been a silent reader of the forum for all these years and I can't believe I am finally debuting on it!

To share with all of you, I am expected to get my Thar Convertible in June 2021. Any specific points to be kept in mind before going in and carrying out the regular PDI check and transferring the payment?

Thanks.
aamishdhingra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2021, 19:56   #1729
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Just like my ’97 Classic, even the '20 Thar entered my purchase list…without a test-drive! I’m going with the Diesel AT because its more in line with the character of the Thar, no real price difference from the petrol and the longer tank range (useful for highway runs & offroading). I’ll either get used to the bumpy ride (as I have with my ’97 Classic) or just drop the tyre pressure by 2 PSI in the city. I might also swap out the 18” rims for 16" ones for a cushier ride.
Saying goodbye to my Classic soon.
Hey GTO, just checking in. Is there any progress in your own decision to buy the Thar. Still going with Diesel A/T or considering the petrol A/T perhaps. Now that the 5 door is announced, would you consider that at all or is it firmly the 2 door for you. I would imagine you would go for the latter in keeping with the more purist nature of the 2 door but still asking.

Personally, with the new normal of WFH, low level of movement etc means that I might push out my own 2nd car plans definitely into 2022 and maybe even into 2023. I just don’t have a pressing need before that. To that end, the possibility of a 5 door version in early 2023 (as ACI and some more channels suggested) means I can actually hope to keep a version of the Thar in the reckoning for myself along with other options like Creta / Alcazar etc.
Axe77 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st June 2021, 15:47   #1730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
I have the same issue too, I can suggest a simple solution, which I've done. I've gone and placed my anti slip rubber mat on the center vent, it doesn't let air out. So most of the fogging stops, but there is still some from the side vents.
+1 to the issue and a great solution. I observed this issue since the rainy season started and it makes driving extremely difficult while it's raining. I have notified the SC of this issue for a permanent solution
Old 4th June 2021, 14:08   #1731
Senior - BHPian

72 Years of Exploring the Impossible

Quote:
In 1949, we began our quest to carve out a timeless legacy that would inspire generations of adventurers.

72 years later, there ain't no stopping us as we surge forward on our journey to Explore The Impossible

Last edited by Venkatesh : 4th June 2021 at 14:11.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2021, 19:24   #1732
BHPian

Bad news for people who have recently booked or looking to book the Thar. Waiting is going up to close to a year now

Quoting an article with the link below:

“People booking the Thar today will get (deliveries) in the second quarter of 2022. We continue to get 6,000 bookings per month (for the Thar) in spite of a 10-12 month waiting. Clearly, there is no thought process to think about exports at the moment,” said Rajesh Jejurikar, Executive Director, automotive and farm equipment sector, M&M

https://www-moneycontrol-com.cdn.amp...61981.html/amp
Old 6th June 2021, 14:48   #1733
BHPian

My girls loved the Thar. "Dad you got a Jeep. No I got a Thar. No it is Jeep. We know it is Jeep." Jeep brand is ingrained in us with respect to this body shape.

Thar gave me the confidence to explore mild trails without even thinking. Had it been S Cross or Innova, I would have been lot more reluctant.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img0747.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img0754.jpg

Thar performed very well on a 1300km return trip from Hyderabad to Tirupati (Via NH44, NH40 and NH 716) To be honest it is beyond my expectations. I am comparing this with Stock S Cross 1.6 and Innova 2.8 AT in which I have done a lot of trips on the same route.

First things first, I always considered this as a 2 seater car. The 2 seats at the back are for kids only. I will rarely if ever sit at the back.

The Happy moments
The drive was comparable to Innova. Considering that both of them have gearboxes from Aisin, their performance was similar. Easy to overtake. Never did the car feel that it was struggling. It was eager to do speeds beyond 120kmph. But the wind noise is a Huge deterrent apart from the audible chimes. Sweet spot is 90-100 kmph where the wind noise is bearable. Driving at 80 kmph is a bliss. I was able keep up with a Swift as well as XUV500 easily.

I liked the digital speed indication. With the speed guns everywhere, it is easier to maintain the speed limits. The variation with GPS speed is less than 3kmph. Innova and S Cross have close to 10kmph speedo error. Breaking was never a worry. It was only matter of getting the feel.

Surprisingly the tank full range was showing 725km which is way higher than I thought. After 560kms run, the fuel gauge was still hovering around 20-25%. I am very happy that I opted for the diesel. Even if I get 650km range that is excellent.

I push my seat fully back, so there was no fouling of the knees. Dead pedal, if there is useful, but lack of it is not a deal breaker. Easy job based on the videos I have seen. But the areas Mahindra seems to skimp feel silly.

AC is a chiller, so I was moving it between first speed and second. It cools the cabin real quick even in plus 40 C.

Apple car play opens the instant the phone is plugged in. The charging port seems to support high speed charging and it works even if the car is switched off. It heats up the iPhone 7. Should be good for android phones with those extra large batteries. The USB / charging port in S Cross seems to be designed for Apple while Andriod used to struggle with the charging.
Minor cribs
One issue I faced was the rattle that was coming near the right side of Steering. This happened after a drive of nearly 450kms. And it occurred at random speeds and any kind of surface. I had lots of luggage in the car that was not tightly packed. I was not sure what was causing it. After another 50km drive that went away. Neither I nor the service center people could replicate it. So I assumed that may be due to luggage. Couple of days later I experienced this again. I immediately removed the sanitizer and the water bottle from the door. And the sound went away.

Already the storage is low. With this fear of rattle it became miniscule.

The other thing is I feel too many stones / chips are flying and hitting the bonnet/ windscreen etc. Mind you there are no vehicles in the front. Are tires the culprit? Never experienced this in any other car.

Cleaning the interiors in the back row is a pain. I need to get a good Vacuum cleaner with extensions that works with the 12V plug.

Grab handles are a must for adults to climb. Would have preferred factory fit. Not really keen on drilling the A pillar.
All said and done I loved the way Thar behaved. I guess I set myself an ultra low benchmark regarding the ride quality. I can happily live with it. The stock tires itself made the steering feel heavy. I wonder how much more challenging will it be with the wider tires I had in mind. Maybe its time for me to hit the gym and bulk up.

I was hoping to engage the 4WD here but Thar just glided through.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img0780.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img0782.jpg

Last edited by indian21r : 6th June 2021 at 14:51.
indian21r is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 7th June 2021, 23:06   #1734
BHPian

Found something interesting today while browsing Instagram - a stock Thar next to a stock Wrangler Rubicon

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_202106072248322.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_202106072248292.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_202106072248342.jpg

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/CPvM0fYj...dium=copy_link
Saurav_Nair is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 10th June 2021, 18:20   #1735
BHPian

So tbhp family, while many of you have been sharing your stories of deliveries of Thar or cursing the long waiting period, I am in the most peculiar situation wherein my Thar is lying in the stockyard of the dealer for last 50 days and I have not been able to take delivery.
First when it arrived, I fell ill due to Covid. Took me some 20 days to get out of Covid, but till then Karnataka went into lockdown and since then showroom is shut.
God bless Murphy's law.

Well, while I hope Bangalore opens by 14th June, I have a few questions:
1. What aspects will need special attention during my PDI since Thar has been out in the weather for 2 months. Mine is LX D AT HT
2. Any other checks I need to do?
3. Can I ask dealer to do rooftop leak test and show report to me prior to delivery?
4. Anything I should keep in mind when dealing with dealer. Can he try to hide things in the pretext of 2 month old vehicle sitting in the yard?
5. I am swapping my old car. CARS24 shows much better price than what dealer offers. Anything to take care if I opt for Cars24?

Hope to be well prepared and get the delivery asap.
Old 10th June 2021, 18:45   #1736
VRJ
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
Well, while I hope Bangalore opens by 14th June, I have a few questions:
1. What aspects will need special attention during my PDI since Thar has been out in the weather for 2 months.

Hope to be well prepared and get the delivery asap.
Damn! That’s a long wait and hopefully you’re feeling alright. Even if you would have taken delivery a month back, it would have sat in your parking lot rather than the dealers yard. I did take delivery a month ago. Mine is the same variant diesel AT HT black.

For PDI, apart from the regular PDI checklist from Team-BHP, please do the following:

1. Definitely ask the dealer to spray water using a handgun on the roof and sit inside and check for leaks. Sometimes it takes a minute or two for the water to leak in to the cabin. Mine was April manufactured and it had a minor water leak. I did the same check as well. It was fixed before delivery. Since yours was exposed to the weather day and night for two months, the beading might have become dry. You never know. Please do check.

2. Drive the Thar over some bad roads and check for any unusual sounds. I didn’t get any when I drove it before delivery but now I have this weird knocking sound from the right side of the boot. Very annoying. Probably a loose screw. Also do check if all electronics are in place.

3. If possible drive on the highway and check if your car is moving towards left/right. Mine moves to the left.

4. Check the paint for scratches. The Thar would have gotten very dirty by now and the dealers do a horrible job washing it. I noticed three scratches on my Thar right after taking delivery.

5. I’m guessing the dealer hasn’t started your car every week to charge up the battery. Not sure if they disconnected the battery during the lockdown. That would have been good. Do check the battery. Does it crank up in one go?

I’m taking in my Thar for the first service tomorrow. Will update the thread in a day or two regarding all the niggles I have faced and my experience driving the Thar for 1000kms. All the best for your delivery. Thar is a special car and you’ll have a great time with her

Cheers!
VRJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th June 2021, 21:49   #1737

Hope everyone is keeping well! After a long wait (booking on 15th Oct 2020), the dealer (Sireesh Auto, Silk Board Jn) called me last week that the vehicle has been allocated and wanted to know if I'd be going the finance or full down-payment route. He was hopeful of getting the vehicle delivered by end of month.

I let him know my decision and also told him that I'll be doing a PDI before the payment is done. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Just a brief on my booking, initially booked it with a SA, he left just after getting our booking, then was coordinating through another SA and now through another. Initial CPD was 27th March 2020.
Old 14th June 2021, 11:50   #1738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkr19 View Post
Hope everyone is keeping well! After a long wait (booking on 15th Oct 2020), the dealer (Sireesh Auto, Silk Board Jn) called me last week that the vehicle has been allocated and wanted to know if I'd be going the finance or full down-payment route. He was hopeful of getting the vehicle delivered by end of month.

I let him know my decision and also told him that I'll be doing a PDI before the payment is done. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Just a brief on my booking, initially booked it with a SA, he left just after getting our booking, then was coordinating through another SA and now through another. Initial CPD was 27th March 2020.
So fulfilling the Oct 2020 orders are still going on. Mahindra doesn't cease to amaze, how much longer will they stretch the delivery of the October orders. I would have been in same boat as yourself (Oct 22 booking) if I hadn't used some 'pressure' on the dealer to commit earlier.

Mahindra do have a problem with chip shortages and infotainment supply struggles but delivery rate seem to still be painfully slow. I am also amused at some clowns who are using their Thar for fun & games like tug of war with an Isuzu vcross 4x4 because if and when the mechanicals and tranny get busted, these vehicles will end up at Mahindra dealerships waiting for parts that would originally have been earmarked for new vehicles and this has created new delays for deliveries.

Coming to driveability of the new Thar, it seriously commands respect on the roads, auto wallahs do not mess with you anymore like they would have with a hatchback. You are visually at the same height level as a LCV driver and thus have a commanding view. The Thar seat height is a smidgen more taller than the fortuner and only the endeavour varients come close in the ride height aspect. The Thar cannot weave in and out of traffic at speed, it will behave like a boat that lost an engine or hit by a tidal wave if one attempts that. It doesn't also dampen bumps (multiple breakers) at speed like a Safari or a Duster. All bumps can be sharply felt inside. I haven't tried going over bumps at higher speeds to check if response would be any different since it is a new vehicle.

The liner used to waterproof the joints in the hard top roof segments seem to be a silicone type that can get warped at extreme temperatures. So one need to check state of the bond during delivery to see if there is any water ingress and if the silicon gasket at the roof.

Another irritant is the tendency of the windshield to fog up ridiculously during rains. The primary reason is that the AC is a chiller even at the 1 setting and the humid air that strikes windshield connect with cold dry air inside blasted from the vents creates the mist on the windscreen which is resistant to the windshield defogger or any combination of settings. Only option is to turn AC to warm mode and into the red zone which can prevent this but this also makes the air stuffy inside esp if more than two people are travelling.

Although the Thar can behave like a hatchback in ease of use and and smooth driveability you will have to sacrifice the shoot & scootability of the hatchback when astride a Thar. No more point steering and charge at a gap unless you want to leave a half dozen fatalities in your rear view. This thing can charge at an object like an out of control brick which has been put on wheels and can smoothly glide to its target.
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th June 2021, 13:56   #1739

Oh my God, they're still delivering Oct 20 bookings? This is getting truly ridiculous. Someone on my road received a December booking so my hopes were going up
Old 14th June 2021, 15:17   #1740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phkr19 View Post
Initial CPD was 27th March 2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
So fulfilling the Oct 2020 orders are still going on
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kc93 View Post
Oh my God, they're still delivering Oct 20 bookings?
There does not seem to be any semblance of a pattern or correlation when it comes to booking dates vis-à-vis delivery dates. From what I gather here on the TBHP forum, as well as from friends/acquaintances who have booked the Thar, CPDs are as random as can be - seems to me that dealers are having a field day with delivery timelines and Mahindra does not seem to bother, as long as they are shipping a stipulated number of vehicles to dealerships across the country. I guess this state of chaos can be attributed to multiple factors - initial melee of bookings, grossly underestimated demand projections, semiconductor shortage, Covid-related lockdowns, etc.

All the best to folks waiting for their respective Thar's

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks