Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2021, 11:28   #1621
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkpython9 View Post
I am not too sure about that, but I googled and here's a couple of screenshots.
The dark green UV cut glass thingy also looks a tad iffy as well.

Sharing a link on the topic:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...cut-glass.html (Asahi's RTO-approved dark green UV cut glass)
Old 4th May 2021, 11:47   #1622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here's another picture from the service center
Those headlamps look neat

Please post some details on the same.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 17:11   #1623
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Those headlamps look neat

Please post some details on the same.
The headlamps are a cheap knock off, set me back about 6k with installation. But they'll probably be cheaper in bigger cities. They have no throw or flood or spot. I'm trying to get Auxbeam 7 Inch driving lights to mount near the A pillar. If I can't get the Auxbeam, I will have to revert to the original headlights with better bulbs. As of now the knock offs only give great aesthetic appeal. They have drls and signals also.
Old 4th May 2021, 18:26   #1624
BHPian

Quote:

Also, has anyone dampened their Thar?
Don’t waste your money after this, though there will be many vendors who will say otherwise and even guarantee that they can do 100% sound dampening. But bear it in mind that Thar is not designed to have the silence of a sedan and no matter how much money you pour in you will never be satisfied. Carefully analyze each aspect before putting your hard earned money after modifications. 90% of them only enhance the look to an extent but not much value addition given the money you will spent.

It’s like letting Sehwag play in his natural style rather than asking him to play stable like Dravid.
abhikb is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 19:09   #1625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not too sure about that, but I googled and here's a couple of screenshots.
This is incorrect, judgement was passed by Supreme court in March 2012, that any kind of sun film is illegal on a automobile, but as we know, law always depends on how local police implements it.
akshay4587 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 20:55   #1626
BHPian

Its sad to see Bhpians tinting their vehicle windows when the rule clearly states that there should be no tinted stickers on the vehicles no matter what the percentage. As a forum we should not encourage such practices, else it will disrepute the whole group due to acts of few.

Last edited by Sheel : 4th May 2021 at 21:09. Reason: Punctuation mark space.
alexpaul is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 21:59   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhikb View Post
Don’t waste your money after this, though there will be many vendors who will say otherwise and even guarantee that they can do 100% sound dampening. But bear it in mind that Thar is not designed to have the silence of a sedan and no matter how much money you pour in you will never be satisfied. Carefully analyze each aspect before putting your hard earned money after modifications. 90% of them only enhance the look to an extent but not much value addition given the money you will spent.
Hey abhikb,
I agree it is very true that we can't achieve sedan like silence on the new Thar, but I believe that a little damping will help the speakers and help in road noise reduction. Maybe not by 50% also but even if it is 30% I'd do it. I've seen the pros of damping first hand and it does make a good and noticeable difference. Although all the add ons come around every individuals personal preferences and needs. I agree the headlights are a valueless addition and knew this before I installed them. But the Thar headlamps looked very "plain" (used from a lack of words). But other than that, I have a very simple and useful list in mind. I've spoken about them in bits, but I'll make a list now and hopefully not forget anything.

1. 70mai dashcam and rear cam: installed, works as advertised very good dashcam and rearcam combo for 10,000inr.

2. Tint: 50% on front doors, 50% 2 layers on hardtop windows and 100% on rear window. ( I have learnt that they are completely illegal, but my set up keeps the occupants of the vehicle decently visible, so atleast the cops in my state won't care. 2500inr

3. Knock off headlamps : useless, useless and some more useless. Wouldn't suggest any replaceable units for headlamps, stick to stock and change bulbs is the best option. But the inner child in me wanted, let's say 'Chamki' so, a sacrifice for that was my headlamps. Looks good, lights up like my phone flashlight. 6000inr

4. Nilight 6.5 inch bars(set of 2): knew these will be good for flood, haven't used them except during installation. Strictly for off road and camping usage. Have an alternative plan of getting an amber lens or film for these. 30usd.( used with a wiring kit from nilight 10usd).
This ends the list of stuff I've installed so far.

5. Amazon basics bungee cords: got 6 pieces bungee cords to strap things down. The hazard triangle and the kit have been strategically tied to the base of the roll cage behind the rear seats. My genius solution to them not jumping around when I drive over bad roads. . 279inr.

Here is the stuff, I have acquired but need to install.

1. Subwoofer and amp: I have this really old subwoofer that came in a modded corolla back in 2008 and I've loved it since. Used it in my elantra and then my octavia. Gonna put it in my Thar now. Deleting the little boot space I've got. God knows the price of the woofer, it has a custom made box with 2 12inch woofers. And I tune it for my taste. Mild loudness with a clear thump. And it produces a thump you'll feel in your heart without volume that'll deafen you. Paired with a sony momoamp 10,000inr(already own it, from octavia installation ).

2. Damping mats: I have 20 as of now from a company called ICE, pretty good and vfm. I've seen the same brand ones in action got them a couple of days ago, will install after service 950inr per sheet inclusive of installation. I really believe that the speaker section on the roof needs damping, any volume above 10 is causing rattles in the plastic around the tweeters.

3. Bimbra roof rack : yaay, as I've killed my boot space with the woofer. I need space, I mean with the miniscule boot space I had, I was going for a roof rack anyway. So this always existed in the plan. But woofer got added because of the roof rack. Full roof rack, can hold 100kgs( specified by bimbra). Arrived at local accessory store, Wil get installed after service. 18990inr.

4. Trek N Ride roof bag(Idk whatelse to call it) : A waterproof bag with zips and velcro and straps, to strap it onto the roof rack. Any luggage, tents and foldable chairs are going to go into this. It has a capacity of 270L. I guess a 270L plus some 30L above the woofer, 300L storage should be good enough. 4899inr.

5. Nilight 26 inch led bars (2 pieces): Got these in November along with the small nilight bars. Going to mount these on the roof. Once again, strictly for offroad and camping purposes only. Will not blind people on the streets and in public places. These will be installed on the roofrack most likely. And I'm sure will throw flood light to light up the surrounding spaces like day. 52usd each total 104 usd.

6. Front and rear armrests from Bimbra : there is a lack of space in the Thar. Mostly because of the cute little glove box. And why say no to some added comfort. One center armrest and two rear ones, one above each wheel arch. The armrests all come with storage spaces. And why deny the rear passengers of usb ports. Front 6490inr and rear 9790inr.

7. Dead pedal from Bimbra : it's a dead pedal. 1990inr.

8. Rear fog lights : from Bimbra, the stock fog lights don't exist. So installing these. 1990inr.

Yet to receive :
1. Snatch strap.
2. Auxbeam 7 inch driving lights.
3. Maybe a winch.
I've ordered some 14000inr worth accessories from m2all.
And that's it for today folks. .
darkpython9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th May 2021, 22:17   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexpaul View Post
Its sad to see Bhpians tinting their vehicle windows when the rule clearly states that there should be no tinted stickers on the vehicles no matter what the percentage. As a forum we should not encourage such practices, else it will disrepute the whole group due to acts of few.
Well truth be told, many car modifications are illegal including wraps and colour changes without RTO approval,
Any bumper additions like bull bars or light mount cages, any form of tuning or engine modification and the list will go on. This will include many Bhpians. While I agree illegal things aren't good, we have summers that reach 45°c and I run a poultry farm in front of rocky hills and boulders. The heat reaches unimaginable temperatures there. In a situation like this, my 50% visibility film is not going to harm anyone.
darkpython9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 16:28   #1629
BHPian

Is there any way to suggest some changes/improvements to Mahindra?
Old 5th May 2021, 17:01   #1630
BHPian

Dealership (VVC Kondapur , Hyderabad) confirmed the arrival of my Thar 2.2 AT LX next week. Seems like the person ahead in my queue postponed their delivery. I get to Jump one step in the queue.

Time to check on Insurance and optional accessories. Some on my Mind
  1. Floor Mats ( What style is good or should I opt for basic ones and look around for good ones)
  2. Mud falps
  3. Radiator guard
  4. Tank protector
Anything else that is needed or good at the dealers. Dash cam I will check later. I am not really keen on any chrome fittings.

PS: Booking date was 25th October 2020 and CPD was 3rd June 2021. Ten days back when I spoke with the dealership, I was assured I would get by the end of this month. I was 4th in the waitlist then.

Last edited by indian21r : 5th May 2021 at 17:21. Reason: Added PS
indian21r is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 17:11   #1631
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well truth be told, many car modifications are illegal including wraps and colour changes without RTO approval,
Any bumper additions like bull bars or light mount cages, any form of tuning or engine modification and the list will go on. This will include many Bhpians. While I agree illegal things aren't good, we have summers that reach 45°c and I run a poultry farm in front of rocky hills and boulders. The heat reaches unimaginable temperatures there. In a situation like this, my 50% visibility film is not going to harm anyone.
To be honest, just because others are doing, does not warrant you from breaking the law as well. Dont want to go off-topic here but yes, sun films are banned in India and this rule is in place due to several crimes and anti-social activities which are not the same as modifying your engine. Hope you understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Dealership (VVC Kondapur , Hyderabad) confirmed the arrival of my Thar 2.2 AT LX next week. Seems like the person ahead in my queue postponed their delivery. I get to Jump one step in the queue.

Time to check on Insurance and optional accessories. Some on my Mind[list=1]
Congrats. When was your booking date and what was your CPD?

Last edited by Pancham : 5th May 2021 at 17:16.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 17:44   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
To be honest, just because others are doing, does not warrant you from breaking the law as well. Dont want to go off-topic here but yes, sun films are banned in India and this rule is in place due to several crimes and anti-social activities which are not the same as modifying your engine. Hope you understand.
As I've specified not doing it because everyone is doing it, got it done because I need it. Modifying your engine is equally dangerous if not done properly might cause hazardous situations and in the hands of inexperienced drivers or in fact experienced drivers lead to loss of lives because of our road conditions. Irrespective of why a law exists, breaking it is breaking it. And I don't know but if I'm correct your i20 rear windscreen looks tinted to me.
darkpython9 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 17:47   #1633
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

3. Knock off headlamps : useless, useless and some more useless. Wouldn't suggest any replaceable units for headlamps, stick to stock and change bulbs is the best option. But the inner child in me wanted, let's say 'Chamki' so, a sacrifice for that was my headlamps. Looks good, lights up like my phone flashlight. 6000inr
Can you please post pictures of the removed stock headlamp?

Need to find out the make and model.
Old 5th May 2021, 18:32   #1634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Can you please post pictures of the removed stock headlamp?

Need to find out the make and model.
I think these should suffice.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210505_183058.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210505_183037.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210505_183006.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210505_183023.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210505_182946.jpg
darkpython9 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th May 2021, 19:46   #1635
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think these should suffice.
Thank you for the detailed pictures, looks like a much better unit than the previous model lumax unit.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks