Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2020, 15:37   #871
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Guy's, How’s the experience of soft top? Getting a petrol auto but in soft top and as per Dealership, we can’t fit OEM hard top later.
Turbanator a soft top could actually be pretty useable in the tri-city unlike the chimney that is NCR. You already have an enviable garage, a soft top would be some novelty right? How lovely would it be to drive it to Kasauli on the weekends.
Karan_n8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 15:47   #872

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
Hey 666arj!

Could you share your experience thus far
Hello Capt. !
This has been my experience so far. I’ve driven it 2500km (in less than a month!)

The petrol automatic is the spec to go with if
1. This is going to be your secondary vehicle
2. You are based in Delhi/NCR and are worried about the 10 year law.
3. You can afford the fuel.

I’ll elaborate as to why I think so.

1. The petrol AT is a PLEASURE to drive in the city. It wafts along from traffic light to traffic light, and is very effortless in picking up speed. It’s a very enjoyable engine to live with, especially considering its in this jeep. It does not feel like a thar when it gets going. I would choose the petrol over the diesel if I’m not concerned with fuel efficiency or range.

2. The fuel efficiency is disappointing. Even with a VERY light foot I did not get more than 9.3kmpl. This becomes an issue for me, as in Gurgaon, I am having to refuel every 350-370kilometers, each time for ₹4k. I’m a kilometre cruncher, and I cover 150-200kilometres daily, so having to refuel every two days is a pain in the backside.

3. The gearbox does a fine job. Very rarely does it get confused, but I’ve found it to be a little too happy to downshift, which hurts the already bad FE.

I have taken it from Delhi-Jaipur, which was a day trip, so 3 of us covered ~800km in a day. I did all of the driving. None of us were tired, the backseats are UBER COMFORTABLE if there is just one occupant. It drove well on the highway, revs sat a little higher than I’m used to at 1.5-1.6k, but I am used to driving a big diesel in my isuzu truck.

Please let me know if you want to know anything more about this particular jeep in the trim I’ve got.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e723f1e62eee4f59ac051d911a545e7d.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-478f0251be434652b8f4305bd4393b13.jpeg  

666arj is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 16:12   #873

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hey. Look forward to your comparison with the D Max in particular. I am
Sir, yes sir.

I bought my Isuzu back on 2016, as soon as they launched it and I could get it. I wanted a 4x4 pickup truck because-

1. My 4x2 Toyota Fortuner kept getting stuck in mud at our family farms/property.

2. I wanted to carry my motorcycle to and fro from the dirt track, and with me on my frequent trips.

3. It was mostly me & my girlfriend, so we used the back row as luggage space for in-cabin luggage.

After 4 years and putting more than 1 lakh KM on my Isuzu, for which I want to take a moment a pen down that I LOVE this truck, it has been so dependable, and the ROI on this purchase has been incredible. I want to own this truck till the wheels fall off.

Now, coming to the Thar,
I bought it because-

1. I wanted an Automatic 4x4. My inner city driving has increased massively and even though I love driving my manual truck, I felt an automatic would make the traffic more bearable.
A 4x4 is a must as I can’t be bothered to deal with potholes and such. Also, I need the versatility of my vehicle going wherever I need to go, without thinking about it too much.

2. My friend reminded me that it’s a smaller (in length) vehicle than my truck, and that I’ve found to make life much easier when I’m looking for parking. Mind you, I’m rocking an old school setup on my truck, with a single din stereo and no parking sensors, so parking the Thar with it’s (optional) rear camera and its short length is WONDERFUL.

3. I wanted SOME in-cabin luggage space, even if just for a bag or two. My truck has NONE.

Now that you know my (wacky ) thought process, here’s a comparison from my mind:

1. The Isuzu’s suspension setup and longer wheelbase means it is much more better at dealing with bumps and speedbreakers and overall bad terrain than the Thar.

2. When driving fast on a dirt track, the Dmax feels like a rally setup when compared to the jeep, which is natural as the jeep is a better rock crawler than the Isuzu truck.

3. On long journeys, I found the Thar to be more comfortable surprisingly, but mind that the Thar is automatic and has cruise control, which my old Isuzu does not, but a new AT Isuzu will.

4. Getting out of the jeep and into the car-like interiors of the truck will remind you that the Thar feels a little claustrophobic inside.

5. The Thar gets the same attention on the road as the truck used to get back in 2016, when it was rarer.

6. Hotel valets treat you better in the Thar, I’ve been told. (I was always treated fine in the truck I thought, but I’ve yet to take the jeep to a valet so who knows )

In conclusion, When I bought the Thar I thought I wouldn’t be seen driving my truck for a bit, but that has not been the case and I appreciate the truck a lot more.
Both vehicles have their charm. But I’m a sucker for old school Japanese 4x4’s since I grew up on them.

I hope my long form comparison (rant) gives someone the idea they’re looking for.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-a45b41e0ee234c32bdabf862abcc8a06.jpeg  

666arj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 17:01   #874
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Did you drive in higher gears and at speeds over 100, how did it accelerate?
No clue, bud. Didn't take this one on my usual fast highway run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Guy's, How’s the experience of soft top?
The worst option IMHO. A soft-top is neither here nor there.

Get the convertible (my choice) so you can open it up to have fun, whether at night or at a hill station or in Goa or with kids. You guys in North have such amazing winters.

Get the hard-top if you want absolute practicality & security.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:18   #875
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666arj View Post
Hello Capt. !
This has been my experience so far. I’ve driven it 2500km (in less than a month!)
========
Please let me know if you want to know anything more about this particular jeep in the trim I’ve got.
Hey 666arj!

Many thanks for the update!

I have booked the petrol AT thar and it will be the second car in the garage and since I'm off at sea for almost half a year my vehicles see less than 1k km a month on average.
Regarding the FE, is 9.3kmpl your overall efficiency?
If so, what is your observed FE breakup in the city and on the highways.
Also about highway speeds, according to you how does the petrol AT fare in comparison.
Old 28th December 2020, 19:18   #876
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar petrol AT Off-Road review

Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:33   #877
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Please share the video here. Would be interesting to see this. As slush, mud and loose surface is all that I feel I would encounter whenever I get mine and plan to explore a bit.
Here goes videos are fwd via whatsapp

Jaggu is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 19:49   #878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The worst option IMHO. A soft-top is neither here nor there.
I don't think soft top is available anymore, after M&M killed the AX (except for the AX Opt) without as much as a prayer.

The options now are AX OPT in convertible or hard top (only Diesel has hard top option) guise, and LX with both the tops in all engine options-
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20201228_193542_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

This is probably due to GNCAP test which meant no 6-seater variant (and AX Opt has the roll cage too, which the base AX didn't have).

IMHO, AX Opt doesn't make much sense for a buyer unless there is specific and indisputable need - buying a LX and, say, switching to steel wheels is the better choice.
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 20:01   #879
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Here goes videos are fwd via whatsapp
Is that really such a steep climb or is it a camera angle? I can see people standing at a very steep angle as well.

Seems that is some leech like ability of the BFG tires plus the MLD and BLD. Superb. Please do take it such a place and try it out.
Old 28th December 2020, 20:42   #880
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Is that really such a steep climb or is it a camera angle? I can see people standing at a very steep angle as well.
It is rather steep. You can observe the people, how they are balancing on the slope. It is pretty impressive how effortlessly the vehicle climbs and the brake lights lighting up shows how much brake lock is being used. As much as I hated the vehicle on road, I am impressed and would like to try out off-road. Hopefully soon.
Jaggu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 22:40   #881

Quote:
Hey 666arj!

Many thanks for the update!

I have booked the petrol AT thar and it will be the second car in the garage and since I'm off at sea
The Petrol AT is best for your use case IMHO, capt.

The 9.3 figure is combined, city & highway. If you drive with a generous right foot, expect it to drop to 7-8kmpl.

It is extremely stable on the highway, with good punch left for overtakes while cruising at highway speeds (120kmph on the Western Peripheral).
It accelerates adequately post 100.
There is some wind noise after 90, but it’s a jeep after all.
Leave it on cruise control at 85, stick to the middle lane/right lane for overtakes, and it’ll return 11-12kmpl, but it will drop as soon as you start giving it gas.
666arj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th December 2020, 23:53   #882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
So my advise to all of you with luggage capability doubts be assured. Duffel bags no problem. But here is a picture of the thar stuffed with more luggage than what we took as this was this morning when checking out from our hotel.
Thanks for sharing the picture. Requesting you to share the exact brand and capacity of duffle bags you used for helping in purchase if possible.
Old 29th December 2020, 02:32   #883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have booked the petrol AT thar and it will be the second car in the garage
I think you should get a Diesel. The price difference is 20k between AT D and P, and the tank range alone makes up for it. I know this thought is a spanner in your plans, but let's talk about this!
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 04:36   #884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I think you should get a Diesel. The price difference is 20k between AT D and P, and the tank range alone makes up for it. I know this thought is a spanner in your plans, but let's talk about this!
Crikey!

As a matter of fact I had initially booked the Diesel AT in Mystic Copper and had it changed to Petrol AT in Napoli Black.

It was a tough decision nonetheless. I was in a major dilemma but then, what made me swap was the fact that I wouldn't be doing justice to the oil burner whatsoever.
In 5 years of car ownership the total mileage I've clocked in my Honda city ivtec is around 60k kms. That's roughly 1000kms a month over 5 years.
Now with another car into the garage, the average mileage of both the cars would be 500-600 kms a month.
Plus, nobody else uses my vehicles on a regular basis once I'm off at sea.

One more factor which made me sway towards the petrol was when compared the other body on frame SUV's, there seems to be quite a sizable chunk of the public opting for the petrol.

What would be your take on the above?
Would really love to get another POV!
Capt.Arun is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 08:04   #885
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What would be your take on the above?
Would really love to get another POV!
With just 20k price difference between Petrol auto and Diesel auto, the question of how many KM you'll clock per year to justify a Diesel purchase goes out of the window with the Thar.

With a Diesel, you'll get a proven engine, and longer range for each tankful of Diesel. With the Petrol, you'll get a wee bit better refinement - when you're standing out, in front of the Thar. Inside, people have asked me if mine is a Petrol or Diesel, in spite of mine being a convertible top. And not that it's a factor, a Diesel Thar will also have a better demand and resale value!

Reiterating -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post

Driving the Thar 2.2L Turbo-Diesel AT

The diesel is very smooth & peppy. In fact, after spending time with it, we were hard-pressed to think why anyone would buy the petrol over this (main market = Delhi-NCR & its 10-year limit on diesel cars). Not like the Thar Petrol is substantially cheaper to buy either. The diesel will give you higher FE than the petrol, a longer tank range (important for highways & offroading) and durability (going by Mahindra's long expertise with diesels). Crank the engine and there is a slight shake of the body. On idle, minor vibrations are felt on the pedals. The mHawk though is refined and quiet - you will be pleasantly surprised at what Mahindra has achieved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Petrol AT is a guzzler in the city! Factors like the weight + power + torque converter AT make me believe you should expect 6 – 7 km/l tops in the city (lower if you drive hard). Consumption on the highway remains high (9 – 10 km/l) if you constantly drive at 110 – 120 km/h, perhaps because of the breadbox aerodynamics?
IMHO, the diesel is more in line with the character of the Thar, its city FE will be 75 – 100% higher, while the longer tank range is a boon on the highway and when offroading. Offroading in my Jeep once, we went much deeper than was originally planned. I got pretty anxious when the fuel gauge dropped to 1/4th and the nearest pump was a 1.5 hour walk away. For this longer tank range alone, offroaders will pick the diesel Thar. High-revv a diesel in 4x4 2nd-low and your FE will drop to 5 km/l. High-revv a petrol in 4x4 2nd-low and your FE can drop to 2 km/l.
I know this puts you in a bit of a quandry, but then think it through especially because it's a once-in-a-while buy for you
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed