Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 08:22   #886
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
had it changed to Petrol AT in Napoli Black.

One more factor which made me sway towards the petrol was when compared the other body on frame SUV's, there seems to be quite a sizable chunk of the public opting for the petrol.

What would be your take on the above?
Would really love to get another POV!
A good option, the M Stalion AT, with your limited useage when you're away.

A novelty around your coffee table/ bar talk buddies.
Vinod_nair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 08:23   #887
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar modification by Bimbra 4×4 part 3

Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 09:37   #888
Senior - BHPian

I like the light bar housing. Looks very cohesive with the design and material of rest of the car, so does the bumper.

On that note, how legal are these mods for on-road usage? Or these people are only using their cars off-road? If I'm not wrong, metal bumpers (or bull bars), lights installed above headlamps are all illegal. Previous owner of my car paid fine for having metal bumper and bull bar in Pune.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:47   #889
Senior - BHPian

Love the bumper design and the coating on the side cladding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post
I like the light bar housing. Looks very cohesive with the design and material of rest of the car, so does the bumper.

On that note, how legal are these mods for on-road usage? Or these people are only using their cars off-road? If I'm not wrong, metal bumpers (or bull bars), lights installed above headlamps are all illegal. Previous owner of my car paid fine for having metal bumper and bull bar in Pune.
This is exactly where my mind meanders to every time I see reviewers saying "existing bumper had to comply with pedestrian safety government rules". That essentially means what 'we' are selling is ILLEGAL for road use. Not sure if you can swap 100kg bumpers that easily only for your trail rides.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:12   #890
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amol4184 View Post

That light bar is completely illegal. S52, MVA. But legality notwithstanding, anyone who adorns one of these on their vehicle and uses it on everyday roads needs to be put behind bars and the vehicle impounded. It reeks of complete apathy for fellow commuters by blinding them head on or when tailgating.

This tube light on cars is such a menace, its sale and use needs to stop for anything other then recreational off road use.

Last edited by bigron : 29th December 2020 at 10:39.
bigron is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:07   #891
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.Arun View Post
In 5 years of car ownership the total mileage I've clocked in my Honda city ivtec is around 60k kms. That's roughly 1000kms a month over 5 years.
Now with another car into the garage, the average mileage of both the cars would be 500-600 kms a month.
Plus, nobody else uses my vehicles on a regular basis once I'm off at sea.
Petrol all the way, new M&M engines are very nice and reliable. Packs a punch compared to the diesel as told by fellow mods. The FE is absolutely ok considering the low running. FYI I often scratch my head when folks speak about 8-9 Kmpl of Thar petrol, coz even Santro AT gives only that much. You want to know what a real guzzler is, check a 2.4 Liter Grand Vitar AT

Only downside I can see is the range but that again in today's day and petrol station network is a moot issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar modification by Bimbra 4×4 part 3
Bumper I believe are imported Jeep Wrangler JT ones. I had checked on Facebook and they mentioned they will be bringing a fiber version which will have Airbag sensor working soon. No info on pricing yet.

Last edited by Jaggu : 29th December 2020 at 11:12.
Jaggu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:09   #892
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
This is exactly where my mind meanders to every time I see reviewers saying "existing bumper had to comply with pedestrian safety government rules". That essentially means what 'we' are selling is ILLEGAL for road use. Not sure if you can swap 100kg bumpers that easily only for your trail rides.
My shallow research has confirmed that it is definitely illegal (lights and those bumpers) for on road use. If there is a legal loophole that you can throw at the police or court then I am not sure. Sounds like using them is illegal but selling isn't.

Another thing which isn't clear from any of the sellers of such metal bumpers is, in case of accident do airbags open up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigron View Post
That light bar is completely illegal. S52, MVA. But legality notwithstanding, anyone who adorns one of these on their vehicle and uses it on everyday roads needs to be put behind bars and the vehicle impounded. It reeks of complete apathy for fellow commuters by blinding them head on or when tailgating.

This tube light on cars is such a menace, its sale and use needs to stop for anything other then recreational off road use.
+1.
IMO Super bright LEDs are a nuisance in general (numerous two wheelers with such horrendous LED lights). I wonder if those lights actually have any throw on the road or exist just to blind vehicles in opposite lane.

This lightbar in question seems powerful enough to set fire to the roads never mind lighting up the road.
amol4184 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 12:57   #893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Mahindra Thar modification by Bimbra
Geez..That bumper and light bar are off the charts illegal. One would get pulled over and fined every 50kms on any highways in GJ, MH and the south. Heck even a mild tint on my car evokes a fine on the highways. I am pretty sure they will impound your car in the city with that light bar.

What a menace these mods are. Imagine a senior citizen faced with that light bar. Please stop advertising this safety hazard on this forum.

Last edited by yd_gli : 29th December 2020 at 12:59.
yd_gli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 14:21   #894
BHPian

As the promised delivery date for my Thar approaches, I have a few questions that may be the community here can help answer. Note that this is my first time purchasing a vehicle in India (or anything for that matter) so I have zero experience of the car-buying process here, and unfortunately I dont have any family/friends who do either. So any input/guidance/pointers are much appreciated. If it helps, I will be taking delivery from Sahyadri Motors in Baner, Pune.

Here goes:

PDI: I have read about the PDI check list on here but it seems dated; is there a newer version of it? Are there things specific to the Thar that need to be checked?

Is there also a separate pre-registration check/process to be performed?

Insurance: I recall reading that the dealer offered insurance is much more expensive than if purchased independently from a third party. Are there any recommended insurance companies and what’s a reasonable price to pay for the standard/typical coverage (comprehensive)?

VIN: How to look for the date of manufacture? Also, is there anything else to look for in the VIN? Since my promised delivery date is Jan 23rd, should I expect the Thar to be manufactured in Jan '21 or will I receive a December '20 made unit?

Payment: I had not thought about it until recently. I imagined I'd just write them a check but am not sure whether that's the right way to do it. Are there any preferred/recommended methods of payment?

Accessories: I was planning on getting the reverse camera installed from the dealership; is that recommended or are there better aftermarket options? If so, what's a good one out there that works well with the Thar? Also, are there any other OEM accessories that are considered essential that I should be getting?

Apologies for the lengthy post and thanks in advance.
Old 29th December 2020, 15:32   #895
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
As the promised delivery date for my Thar approaches,........................
.................... thanks in advance.

PDI: Please search the forum for a PDI checklist. You can take that and a friend who isn't awed by the vehicle. Would be hard to find since the vehicle is a Thar but still take a friend to check.

Insurance: Most of the companies like Bharati AXA, ICICI Lombard, Tata AIG, HDFC Ergo, etc. are ok. Don't even look at fly by night recent companies. Also get a quote from these online insurance websites which have options from a number of companies. Will give you a ball park figure for the expected cost.
Take the add-ons like Zero Dep., RTI(Return To Invoice, search for its meaning), Engine Cover, Key Cover, Tire Cover. insurance companies offer these as packages or separate items. These are good to have.
The contact some local offices of the above listed companies and ask them for quotes. Armed with these quotes negotiate with your dealer. He will give you the best possible offer. Take it even if it slightly above the quotes you have got. This will give you good cashless options in case something happens. Also ensure that the insurance company is one of the above of a reputed government company.

VIN: Search the forum.

Payment: Generally we accept cheques but deliver the vehicle only when the money reflects in the account. That is the basic premise. Money should reflect in the account. So you can do a NEFT, IMPS, RTGS or a UPI payment for the same.
But do it only after you are completely satisfied with the vehicle and the papers.

Accessories: There is no compulsion for the same. But do check if the aftermarket camera is compatible with the Head Unit of the Thar. Front parking sensors are one that I will definitely be getting.
Other than that you can go through the Mahindra catalogue and see what you like.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 16:23   #896
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
I was planning on getting the reverse camera installed from the dealership; is that recommended or are there better aftermarket options?
That official reverse camera misses out on adaptive guidelines and the clarity is also said to be bad. If I were you, I would skip this until those are fixed or a better plug-n-play solution(with camera feed coming into the HUD and no cutting of wires) comes into the market.

As suggested above, front parking sensors would be a good addition as it is difficult to judge the corners in tight spaces.
neelkumar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 14:10   #897

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Imagine a senior citizen faced with that light bar. Please stop advertising this safety hazard on this forum.
With all due respect of course, what would you suggest someone who often ventures off the highway and offroad, not only for hobby but also for professional reasons, to do for lighting offroad.
Light bars are offroad lightning, hence the covers you see often mounted on these when on public roads.

If one buys a 4x4, I expect they got it because they need to go off paved roads.
Old 30th December 2020, 16:12   #898
BHPian

Has anybody any knowledge of Petrol Hardtop Manual deliveries, or even in CT or ST form. Is the manual petrol even being produced, because the Mahindra guys are saying pan India not even a single Petrol manual has been delivered. Delhi/NCR must have a lot of petrol bookings so any body from here.
Old 30th December 2020, 16:25   #899
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
Has anybody any knowledge of Petrol Hardtop Manual deliveries, or even in CT or ST form. Is the manual petrol even being produced, because the Mahindra guys are saying pan India not even a single Petrol manual has been delivered. Delhi/NCR must have a lot of petrol bookings so any body from here.
It is the cheapest of the LX range, a good 1.26 lakhs cheaper than the Diesel AT. Margins may be lower on this variant and in a supply constrained situation, manufacturers may choose to crank out as many of the higher margin vehicles in the first few batches as possible.

On a separate topic, my Thar Diesel AT in mystic copper shade has arrived at the yard! Delivery planned for next week due to RTO closure for the long weekend. Planning to go tomorrow to have a look!
84.monsoon is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th December 2020, 17:29   #900
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It is the cheapest of the LX range, a good 1.26 lakhs cheaper than the Diesel AT. Margins may be lower on this variant and in a supply constrained situation, manufacturers may choose to crank out as many of the higher margin vehicles in the first few batches as possible.

On a separate topic, my Thar Diesel AT in mystic copper shade has arrived at the yard! Delivery planned for next week due to RTO closure for the long weekend. Planning to go tomorrow to have a look!
Congratulations . Was there any change in your CPD? as in, are you getting before or after your promised date?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks