Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 23:19   #1036
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Upcoming 2021 Mahindra Thar 180 mStallion Pro.

Source

https://www.indiacarnews.com/news/up...r-speed-43873/
With the structural limitations, wondering if the additional power be of any use. Triple digit speeds are already scaring the drivers away. Don't know how will Thar handle with the extra hp under the belly. mStallion is confused with mustang?
Rajiv0909 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 23:33   #1037
Distinguished - BHPian

Remap available for Thar Diesel!!

GT TunerZ Delhi / Quantum UK has developed ECU remap for Thar Diesel.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb_img_1610647189710.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-fb_img_1610647192386.jpg

Quote:
The New Mahindra Thar has been the most anticipated release of 2020. Once released, the anticipation for mods to the platform has grown day by day.

We have been hard at work since launch day on development for this new platform.

It's with great pride and pleasure that we announce a WORLD FIRST and a WORLD EXCLUSIVE of tuning options for the Diesel Thar!

Figures ~ 160 bhp | 360 Nm

Since we expect to be inundated by messages asking about the petrol Thar, we are currently working on that platform too and expect to have something in the not too distant future!
https://www.facebook.com/67811432225...7902123946214/
Dr.Naren is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 10:49   #1038
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
Upcoming 2021 Mahindra Thar 180 mStallion Pro.

Source

https://www.indiacarnews.com/news/up...r-speed-43873/
All of a sudden i feel so glad i decided to cancel the booking for my Petrol thar and wait
The Turbo petrol in the Thar had capabilities for better power output, glad that M&M figured that out and decided to maybe re tune the engine,at the same time feel sorry for the people plonking their monies on the current petrol Thar only to see this news about the more powerful engine in the works.
Old 15th January 2021, 15:11   #1039
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born 2 Be Wild View Post
All of a sudden i feel so glad i decided to cancel the booking for my Petrol thar and wait
The Turbo petrol in the Thar had capabilities for better power output, glad that M&M figured that out and decided to maybe re tune the engine,at the same time feel sorry for the people plonking their monies on the current petrol Thar only to see this news about the more powerful engine in the works.
The Thar Petrol and Diesel are both sufficiently powerful. Considering the vehicle dynamics, shape, brakes and other factors 180-190hp will be too much for the Thar. Also, the already low mileage figures of the petrol will dip further and breach proper performance car territory.

In my opinion even the city based Thars won't be used for drag racing due to the weight and the inefficient aerodynamics. So I feel that the current Thars are sufficiently powered, a better improvement would be fine tuning the interiors and ergonomics.
pariyadav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 15:24   #1040
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariyadav View Post
The Thar Petrol and Diesel are both sufficiently powerful. Considering the vehicle dynamics, shape, brakes and other factors 180-190hp will be too much for the Thar. Also, the already low mileage figures of the petrol will dip further and breach proper performance car territory.

In my opinion even the city based Thars won't be used for drag racing due to the weight and the inefficient aerodynamics. So I feel that the current Thars are sufficiently powered, a better improvement would be fine tuning the interiors and ergonomics.
This reminds me of the time when I bought the CBZ. Remember the first so called performance oriented 150cc bike.
All my uncles. All uncles on the road. All uncles wherever I stopped. All teacher Uncles. Everyone said what is the need for 150cc. 100cc is more than enough for our roads.

Haha. Then came the same uncles when the various cars were launched. "Arre why do they need more than 800cc on the car?"

Everyone doesn't want more power to Race or to gun it for the top speed. When you have power, it increases drive-ability of the vehicle. The engine can remain more relaxed at normal highway speeds.

This is a free country. Who are we to impose governance that this is ok and this isn't.

TBHP. Petrolheads! More power is always welcome!
navpreet318 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:12   #1041
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The best mod, yet, with the stock grille design?
The wheels are too large for the wheel arches and will not allow proper wheel articulation in the wheel well and will be prone to scraping the side-walls which can be dangerous.
Not at all practical for offroading or even for normal use. Also the bull-bar like designed bar on the bumper is not street legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
I feel the 4-door would be a flop....
The long wheel-base would give it better stability, ride and handling for on-road use.
It would be more practical for seating, luggage space, rear passengers ingress/egress, although will lose out a bit on the ramp-over angle.
Highly probable, it will come with higher BHP/Torque outputs.

Its like almost getting an 80 Lakh Wrangler at 20 Lakhs (Desi-Wrangler). It will sell for sure and if not for anything else, just for the style quotient.
Probably Wrangler's price will come down as it is planned to be locally assembled here. Even then, the long wheelbase Thar version will be a competitive offering.

Last edited by for_cars1 : 15th January 2021 at 16:31.
for_cars1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2021, 16:32   #1042
Senior - BHPian

guys a couple of questions:

1. What is a reasonable waiting period for the thar. Booking date Oct 3rd week.

2. Is the plant shut down for two weeks from Jan 1 - Jan 14 ?? If so, then how are vehicle deliveries happening as is getting posted in this thread.

3. Some people are getting deliveries of petrol, automatic, hardtop within 100 days of booking. Some are not getting even diesel manual within 100 days of booking.

4. Does Mahindra invariably give 2 weeks notice to customer before a thar is manufactured and shipped/dispatched from plant.

5. Why are different regions being treated differently in allotment of vehicles. Some regions get preference or is it nearness to manufacturing base.
Old 15th January 2021, 18:09   #1043
Senior - BHPian

All valid questions Lurker.

I was told that there was a plant shutdown in December, and had not heard about the Jan one. So, I guess the dealers are saying random things.

My original delivery date was 22nd Jan. Booking done on 4th October. Have sent emails and texts to the SA and to the M&M RSM’s, asking for status all of this week. The silence from them is deafening.

I’ve now decided to not follow up and just wait it out till they call or contact me and don’t want to get worked up.

One thing that’s clear is the lack of transparency and therefore, a lack of communication.

Last edited by GTO : 16th January 2021 at 06:35. Reason: As requested
Old 15th January 2021, 20:00   #1044
Senior - BHPian

So it seems they have made a mess of it.
Old 15th January 2021, 20:37   #1045
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post

5. Why are different regions being treated differently in allotment of vehicles. Some regions get preference or is it nearness to manufacturing base.
Nashik being close to Pune and Chakkan being in the outskirts of Pune itself - Pune still has the highest waiting period.
Old 15th January 2021, 20:40   #1046
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

2. Is the plant shut down for two weeks from Jan 1 - Jan 14 ?? If so, then how are vehicle deliveries happening as is getting posted in this thread.

3. Some people are getting deliveries of petrol, automatic, hardtop within 100 days of booking. Some are not getting even diesel manual within 100 days of booking.

4. Does Mahindra invariably give 2 weeks notice to customer before a thar is manufactured and shipped/dispatched from plant.

Waiting periods seem to be somewhat random, there are cases where people who booked in December have already received deliveries and also where people who booked in early October still waiting! Looks like cancellations have gone up over time but so have new bookings, as people start to see the car on road and get interested. The plant shut down towards late December from what I understood, the deliveries people got may be the ones made just before the plant shutdown since it takes 2-3 weeks in some parts of the country for the vehicle to be delivered, payment process completed and vehicle registered.

In my case, I booked on October 6th and the vehicle reached the dealer yard on December 30th, but even on December 29th, the dealer had no word that the vehicle was coming. It just kind of landed! I have a suspicion that Mahindra is trying to keep the exact delivery date masked from the dealer until the day of delivery to prevent diversion of the car to the influential politicians and film stars!
Old 15th January 2021, 21:01   #1047
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
I have a suspicion that Mahindra is trying to keep the exact delivery date masked from the dealer until the day of delivery to prevent diversion of the car to the influential politicians and film stars!
Dealers indeed have a role to play and diversions are indeed a reality and rampant.

My dealer offered me a vehicle within a few weeks if I am willing to compromise on my choice of color. I have booked a Rockey Beige and if I am willing to settle for a black or grey or red, it's well within the capacity of the dealer to provide me one within a few weeks.

Simply because the customer for whom the vehicle is originally meant for has no clue about its whereabouts in the order-fulfillment cycle. And not everyone is as pushy as most of us here are. So in case there is an urgent need, and one is friends with a sales manager at the dealership with shaky morals, this arrangement (or 'jugaad' as the SM sheepishly termed it) is a possibility. I am not sure if this would entail an "extra fee", but one gets the drift.

Add to that the cancelations.
Old 16th January 2021, 00:02   #1048
BHPian

Quote:

#1 - Depends on the variant and color. CT has lower waiting period than HT in general

#2 - not sure of the shutdown but I got my 2021 VIN vehicle allocated this Monday ( booked on 2nd Oct). I saw 2 other vehicles at the dealer stockyard during PDI

#3 In general, Mahindra isn’t transparent about the deliveries, pressure from VIPs and those with fatter check books are adding to the problem

#4 I think CPD is the best estimate and ofcourse as you get closer to the date, follow ups with dealership lead to precise information

#5 - it’s random
Old 16th January 2021, 15:26   #1049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajiv0909 View Post
#2 - not sure of the shutdown but I got my 2021 VIN vehicle allocated this Monday ( booked on 2nd Oct). I saw 2 other vehicles at the dealer stockyard during PDI
Do you mind disclosing the dealership name/location? Am told mine would be delivered on the 23rd (Sahyadri Motors, Baner) but I don't really have much confidence in anything they state/claim.
Old 16th January 2021, 15:49   #1050
BHPian

I just read in Autocar India that the Jimny might be launched in India with the 1.2 petrol to get tax benefits under the less than 4m category, and thus a lower price.

So it becomes even more underpowered in comparison to Thar but also more affordable.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks