Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2021, 18:43   #1141
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

The real question to ask though is, how are other OEM's coping with the shortage of the chips required for the infotainment systems? I read that a few had shut plants, but we also see launches happening. For eg, how does Tata manage the Safari? This will be interesting to see.

That said, I still will attribute this to poor planning of ordering and stocking of this by M&M. For all the JIT principles, I guess the suppy chain teams manage a Some How In Time. Even that seems missing when it comes to the Thar.

Last edited by jkrishnakj : 1st February 2021 at 18:44. Reason: Font
Old 2nd February 2021, 07:01   #1142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Yes and No. It works other ways as well.

I work in a smaller company vs larger established companies and sometimes I find it amusing the number of hoops and approvals needed and the lack of decision making unless so many approvals vs smaller companies.

A Mahindra or Tata does not need approval from some Global HQ and what not. Just some guy sitting in the same office as them.

A Toyota or VW would need to go though global HQ for all these situations.

I'll be interested to see if any brand has tried this in USA or Europe. I don't have data so can't say but in USA they do fit a lot of packs at dealer side.
And we wonder why Tata and Mahindra aren't up there on quality control. It's pretty obvious isn't it. There's no shortcuts to quality.

You are right about the fitment of packages at the dealership level. I've seen that in Australia. Some optional packages/special editions are delivered to the dealers as kits and they could pick a vehicle to add the additional kit.
kiku007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 10:49   #1143
Senior - BHPian

I said it before in this thread that it seemed to me that the Old Thar had more character than the new one when I saw both in real. But I couldn't place why until now.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-image1.jpg

The radiator of the old Thar like all Jeeps sits high up in the chassis which gives it a high above the ground look and a face with tall slats. The new Thar has some of the radiator hanging low below the chassis which from the front doesn't look high above the ground making it look odd when rest of the design is jeep like. An aftermarket bumper can fix it to some extent but there still is a radiator hanging below the frame rails and it won't go away.

From the sides the new Thar has a clean underbody with everything tucked high up into the frame rails. This is much much better than the old one!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-image2.jpg

Image source: https://www.onmanorama.com/news/busi...m-the-old.html

Last edited by Sankar : 2nd February 2021 at 11:02.
Sankar is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2021, 13:33   #1144
BHPian

Two owners have posted in FB that they got call from Mahindra for checking some part (diesel pump or cam shaft) for diesel variants.
Dealer demanded two days of time for checking the same.
One of the owner reported that after the fix, pick up and refinement was improved.

Does any BHP-ian have idea about this recall?
Old 2nd February 2021, 14:18   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Two owners have posted in FB that they got call from Mahindra for checking some part (diesel pump or cam shaft) for diesel variants.
Dealer demanded two days of time for checking the same.
One of the owner reported that after the fix, pick up and refinement was improved.

Does any BHP-ian have idea about this recall?
I own DIESEL LX Manual no calls so far to me
Old 2nd February 2021, 18:39   #1146
BHPian

Few owners are posting regarding recall of Thar for fuel pump/ camshaft failures. Any fellow BHPian got the call of recall?

Mine is D HT AT LX Napoli black with 2500 kms on ODO, as of now no major hassles except the the left side drag issue which is now rectified. Below are some screenshots of the posts from FaceBook. My Thar serial number is 4582.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photo20210202183212.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photo20210202183213-2.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photo20210202183213.jpg
Old 2nd February 2021, 20:45   #1147
Distinguished - BHPian

I have not got any call so far - My Thar is Serial #65XX and mine is Diesel LX AT.

It is likely the issue was fixed after the first couple of thousand units. It would be helpful if the people posting here who have got the calls also post their serial number, so that we can see if this is only happening up to a certain level of serial numbers.
Old 2nd February 2021, 23:22   #1148
BHPian

Really appreciate your honest opinion dude. I have decided to take more test drives as my SM quotes the delivery to be around the first week of March. So will try to see if the wife and kids get used to the drive in the Thar and then take a call. Keeping fingers crossed as recently, I checked out the 5th gen City, and really loved the car for all the equipments it offers along with the sweet petrol engine. I know it is a very strange comparo, but I am smitten on the Thar just for it’s looks. I really do not intend to take it off roading as yet and just want to enjoy the Jeep ( pun intended ;-) ) for what the convertible offers :-)
PS- Avomine is my wife and daughters companion everytime we go towards the hills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mu009 View Post
I rarely give this advise, but I would strongly suggest going with the head over the heart on this one. I'll try my best to get the point across.

Hope that makes sense/helps.
Cheers!
isldhn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2021, 20:18   #1149
Senior - BHPian

I was waiting for this and was worried why it did not make it to Anshuman's channel yet, and finally here it is

Sankar is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 08:50   #1150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by isldhn View Post
PS- Avomine is my wife and daughters companion everytime we go towards the hills
As the owner of both the prev gen thar and honda city, I can tell you that avomine is needed in my case, whenever I take the city on winding hill roads, never when on the Thar, maybe because with the city I tend to have a higher speed into the corners.
Of course, my thar rear seats are never used
Motion sickness is more on fast turns on good hill roads.
Old 4th February 2021, 13:26   #1151
BHPian

Looks like they are recalling some early batches; details below.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/mahi...e-thar-2362909
Old 4th February 2021, 13:28   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjcruiser08 View Post
Looks like they are recalling some early batches; details below.

https://www.carandbike.com/news/mahi...e-thar-2362909
I also read the also article. My Thar falls in this category but I am yet to get any call so far.
Old 4th February 2021, 13:55   #1153
Senior - BHPian

Are test drive vehicles not available in other cities as well? Called 5 Mahindra dealers and none of them have even a single variant available for test drive. They were not interested in selling it but that is what happens with most manufacturers with LONG waiting lists but am disappointed that even in DELHI NCR, they do not have test drive cars available so long after official launch.

Is there anything i can do to escalate this? Need a couple of drives before plonking in 16L+ on a car, other option is to rent the THAR and drive off to the hills for a long test drive.
Old 4th February 2021, 16:13   #1154
BHPian

Quote:
Few owners are posting regarding recall of Thar for fuel pump/ camshaft failures. Any fellow BHPian got the call of recall?
Looks like such failures are the new common with indian auto industry these days !
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-afb35a503de74c4fb6cccfa5159012a1.png  

Old 4th February 2021, 16:14   #1155
Senior - BHPian

As per a mahindra sales executive, they are discouraging new Thar booking, it is like a go-slow unofficial policy which may be why they do not keep thars for test drive. I mean why give test drives when the idea is to turn people away towards other models.

People who booked in Oct are yet to take delivery, which means the backlog is now beyond Mahindra's capacity to fulfill anytime soon and coupled with that parts shortages and recalls. It is messy.
lurker is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks