Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th February 2021, 12:03   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

And before I leave till next year...

Around two months back I almost made the booking online (entered card details but cancelled it last minute) because I wanted to see the product in person before I commit. So on 13th Feb wife & I went to the dealership to finalise the colour and book the vehicle (with the dealer) and lucky for us all colours were available in the yard. My choice was Rocky Beige but wife's choice Aqua Marine and so Aqua Marine was it. But we did not make the booking since it was then decision time on engine variant (Petrol vs BS6 complicated Diesel) and asked for couple of weeks time to finalise and in the meantime requested the dealer for a test drive on any AT variant preferably Diesel. During the talk with the executive regarding booking, delivery and the backlogs the gist of his reply was that it was dealer's call on the sale even if number comes up and that's due to finances of the buyer may or may not be ready. The executive told me that the Aquamarine Thar in the yard was spoken for but only if the finances were in place else it will go to someone else. Unlike my bitter experience with TVS Mahindra few years ago the new dealer SS Mahindra deserves a lot of praise; the sales executives, the receptionist and the security guard were all very helpful and polite. They promised me a test drive in a an automatic variant and followed it up with me twice (on 18th and 22nd) to bring it over to my residence, but because of the fickle state of my mind regarding Thar (due to QC issues and BS6 Diesel worry) I have not taken it yet and I do not want to take the TD just because its free.
Sankar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 16:17   #1277
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Anyone faced this error? 'DEF Dosing malfunction error - E22' and any known resolution?
Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
The manual mentions dosing malfunction error has many stages.
Why would the DEF level going low have stages? Either there is enough DEF or there isn't. I think it's a poorly captioned error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Either the Adblue (Diesel Exhaust Fluid) is running low or it is a malfunctioning Nox Sensor.
Solution is either a simple DEF top up or a Nox sensor replacement.
Since the showroom has said it isn't DEF I think it could be the latter too or some part of the SCR system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
They say Four stages and there are Five!
The fifth stage is acceptance that things are out of your hand. Doesn't count.
Iyencar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2021, 18:26   #1278
BANNED

Our son bought a Petrol Auto yesterday. First impression is that it is a quiet and refined car, very different from my image of these vehicles. Let us see how it develops.
sgiitk is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 13:27   #1279
BHPian

With the number of thar Threads that are cropping up, we may have a subforum for it.

Seeing the amount of niggles is a painful reminder of my experience with the Aria's. I am wondering should I postpone my delivery for some more time.

Reliability is one aspect where Maruti is way ahead of other Indian companies.
Old 26th February 2021, 14:05   #1280
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
No reverts till now...
If the CEL goes off or is intermittent, and your friend is game for a couple of days in Coimbatore (370 KM from B'lore) - I'll recommend that. CAI Mahindra's technical team is very competent - they are one of the earliest Mahindra dealerships, and have a good connect with MRV and other M&M teams.

I posted this elsewhere, twice I think - but should be posted again. Wiring harness related loose connections are the Achilles Heel for the New Thar. Anyone taking delivery should drive hard over bad roads and no roads (relatively, for a new vehicle) to ensure gremlins show up before you take a long drive.

While we can demean M&M's QC all we want (and I'm not saying we shouldn't), we should also understand that from Merc to Mahindra, a lot depends on the service center's capability too. Call me lucky, but I bought mine in one of the best I've experienced across brands.

Finally, the wiring harness supplier should be taken to task my M&M - added pressure of the model becoming such a runaway hit, resulting in pressure on suppliers is no excuse. This is generating enough negative publicity that I've stopped trying to convince @GTO to buy one from the current lot

By the way, my Thar is at about 8,750 KM - in 97 days of ownership. I'll update my ownership thread soon, and my own wiring niggle experience is well-documented in it - no issues after the first 2 or 3 visits I made to CAI Mahindra's service center, I've done 6500 KM or so after that.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 16:06   #1281
BHPian

Can we install the electronic retractable on mahindra thar 2020? something like this.

vinay.makhija is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 16:21   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.makhija View Post
Can we install the electronic retractable on mahindra thar 2020? something like this.

https://Youtu.be/_sCMB3ev1ss
I am also on the lookout and I did see azad 4x4 showcase this in one of their videos. Will try to dig if I can find. Try searching Youtube for azad 4x4 Thar modifications with a Red Thar where they have put a metal red top on it. Guess that one has it.

Edit :

That's the link where you can a see a glimpse of it for 2 seconds. Its on Thar and you can contact Azad.

Last edited by justwheels : 26th February 2021 at 16:25.
justwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 18:28   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Cool feature to have. Saw these on big bulky SUVs in US. Here, we don't need on cars under Compass (including). But, soon we will see it on even sub-4 m and above SUVs. Need to find out if they have one for Scorpio.

Last edited by pgsagar : 26th February 2021 at 18:29.
Old 26th February 2021, 19:03   #1284
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
That's the link where you can a see a glimpse of it for 2 seconds. Its on Thar and you can contact Azad.
Don't want to be that person but, wasn't there a thread couple of weeks back about a customer's absolutely horrible experience with Azad 4x4? And then other members had also chimed in about their known people having bad/below par experience with Azad 4x4.

I for one wouldn't recommend them based on the reports on our forum itself but I do admit, that some of their mods look really cool. Have seen a couple of V-Cross's and Thar's modded by Azad 4x4 around Mussourie, and they look absolutely smashing. (Did not want to bother the owners and ask them about the reliability part of the mods)
Old 26th February 2021, 20:05   #1285

Quote:
Just came across this video of it installed on the new Thar

Kolambifly is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2021, 20:15   #1286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doonite View Post
Don't want to be that person but, wasn't there a thread couple of weeks back about a customer's absolutely horrible experience with Azad 4x4? And then other members had also chimed in about their known people having bad/below par experience with Azad 4x4.

I for one wouldn't recommend them based on the reports on our forum itself but I do admit, that some of their mods look really cool. Have seen a couple of V-Cross's and Thar's modded by Azad 4x4 around Mussourie, and they look absolutely smashing. (Did not want to bother the owners and ask them about the reliability part of the mods)
This mod can be useful for those having senior citizens in the house and they can also enjoy THAR.
and may be if not azad there can be another suitable options available.
Old 26th February 2021, 21:03   #1287
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
They promised me a test drive in a an automatic variant and followed it up with me twice (on 18th and 22nd) to bring it over to my residence, but because of the fickle state of my mind regarding Thar (due to QC issues and BS6 Diesel worry) I have not taken it yet and I do not want to take the TD just because its free.
If you are planning to buy it, don't take a test drive

Let it be a surprise on the day of delivery.
Old 26th February 2021, 21:48   #1288
Senior - BHPian

It's like Team BHP has turned into 'Alcoholics Anonymous' and this thread is like an AA meeting!

Likeminded people getting together and discussing similar issues faced, then comforting and reassuring each other!

In some ways the new Thar is a blessing as in trying to get the niggles sorted, people forget about their problems in real life.
shortbread is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 11:59   #1289
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolambifly View Post
Just came across this video of it installed on the new Thar

https://Youtu.be/Vh0XuwSB5Dw
The automatic sidestep looks misaligned after retracting once the guy jumps on it. Does not look strong and one can only imagine what will happen if it is taken on a off road track.
udy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th February 2021, 12:12   #1290
BHPian

Why to add such an electronic parts to a vehicle like Thar when you are provided with a solid footstep from the company? I guess thar in its present stock form without any mods looks badass. A naked thar (with BF Goodrich tyres being the only extra add on) is suiting my tastes than anything else seen on the market presently.
highwaypatrol is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks