Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2021, 16:04   #2026
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I had a lovely Bangalore-Coimbatore-Bangalore round trip that in finished today. Truth be told, I did this only to enjoy the Thar in the ghats. Super exciting to put this through the 27 hair pin bends. It was a solo drive.

Some pictures for us, Thar lovers. Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4a101eb89c644076968e77ac33879d4f.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-19e15483e204424fadfdd63bd50afa62.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-9c4ce91b42924ec48e225c19c6a30831.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-aeb72ac52b844b0eb9209db3fd174f2a.jpeg

With this trip, I did the 5K mark as well, just when I reached home. I realised this only after I got very close to my parking.
jkrishnakj is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 16:44   #2027
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone tried the ARC suspension?
I just had a word with them and they say they have specifically targeted the unsettled ride as well as the bounce of the rear suspension. They claim that they have rectified it to almost 100%.
I'd be really happy if that is the case. Any Kohlapur Thar Owners here?
Would be great if you guys could get your hands on the Thar they have fitted the suspension on and give a unbiased review of the same.

https://www.arcsuspension.in/mahindr...-with-bushings
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 18:50   #2028
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Guys finally my dealer called me and said the vehicle (Black Petrol AT HT) is being billed at the plant in Pune, and my vehicle will be delivered within 15 days (tops). My booking was done on Dec 6th 2020. Now,

I have two important queries to the Gurujis and Pundits here please advise:

1. do I need to do a PDI check of my own once the vehicle hits the yard here? I'm asking only because I live really far from the dealerships and their yards.

2. Where can I source BF Goodrich tyres in Bangalore ?! I'm simply in love with them and have used them extensively before on my Scorpio as well. Please advise and hook me up with the right people/contacts. (BF Goodrich 265/60/R18 AT) Thanks in advance
Old 10th August 2021, 19:01   #2029
Senior - BHPian

Hi NiP

Congrats already. I’m hoping that the deliveries these days are WITH the infotainment systems, that used to be a big bottleneck earlier.

On PDI, I did mine, but more of a check in box as opposed to a very detailed one. Part of the reason was that you’re so tired of the wait, I just wanted to grab one and secondly, I wasn’t too sure what happens if something minor went wrong or not to your taste or whatever, and you don’t like it - it’s not something that is an easy conversation with the dealer, given the current demand.

What I definitely did was to have the dealer do a water leak check for the roof, to ensure no leakage inside the cabin, which they happily obliged.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:18   #2030
NIP
Senior - BHPian

Guys also please advise me on one more thing...Insurance !! The dealership is quoting 1+2 years (says govt. mandate) i.e first-year comprehensive and next two years third party. The quote is 75,000 !!! It sounds very high and why should the last 2 years be third party ???

Is it better to do it outside (eg. HDFC Ergo) ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi NiP

Congrats already. I’m hoping that the deliveries these days are WITH the infotainment systems, that used to be a big bottleneck earlier.
I will raise HELL if they deliver without infotainment system

Last edited by NIP : 10th August 2021 at 19:23.
Old 10th August 2021, 19:26   #2031
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Congratulations on your Booking. Do update us when the SA gives you a CPD. I am also waiting for my CPD.

If Diesel laws are enforced in your State, Petrol Thar is a good choice.
Thanks, I did change it to Petrol and the same was entered in the system today.
I got an email confirmation and sms but no CPD yet.

What’s the status on your end?
daf23 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2021, 19:46   #2032
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Thanks, I did change it to Petrol and the same was entered in the system today.
I got an email confirmation and sms but no CPD yet.

What’s the status on your end?
Great
In my case, its just the email and sms from the newly placed order by the Dealership.
As per the Dealership, all orders are to be placed via the official website so that it gets updated in the system.
I have told the sales rep to inform me if they can get hold of a Diesel AT Hardtop, whichever color possible or any booking cancellation of the Diesel AT. This might be a good option for me cause booking for automatic Thar is very very few in my place.
Old 11th August 2021, 01:20   #2033
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Has anyone tried the ARC suspension?
I just had a word with them and they say they have specifically targeted the unsettled ride as well as the bounce of the rear suspension. They claim that they have rectified it to almost 100%.
I'd be really happy if that is the case. Any Kohlapur Thar Owners here?
Would be great if you guys could get your hands on the Thar they have fitted the suspension on and give a unbiased review of the same.

https://www.arcsuspension.in/mahindr...-with-bushings
Hi Navpreet, if I'm not mistaken a member recently had a bad experience with ARC suspension. Do a search of TBHP for the thread and then decide accordingly
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 08:43   #2034
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I felt in one situation, it was difficult to come out - when both the diagonal tires loose the traction. I felt Break Lock Differential (BLD) was unable to channelize power to other two diagonal tires.
To be able to use any Active Traction control system you will have to hold the throttle steady and smooth and let the power flow so that the system can divert it. For the rear autolocking differential as well, requires some free wheelspin before it can engage. Both these systems are reactive(unlike selectable lockers), and require some wheelspin to engage.

In the same situation, I would use 4 Low, 1st gear, steady throttle(30-50% maybe) with gentle variations, drop tyre pressures a bit..

The BLD TCS + MLD Autolocker system combination on new Thar is surprisingly well tuned, work well with minimal driver intervention(just use right gear + hold throttle). Only downside is MLD wears down over time and stops working.
.anshuman is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:19   #2035
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Guys finally my dealer called me and said the vehicle (Black Petrol AT HT) is being billed at the plant in Pune, and my vehicle will be delivered within 15 days (tops). My booking was done on Dec 6th 2020. Now,

I have two important queries to the Gurujis and Pundits here please advise:

1. do I need to do a PDI check of my own once the vehicle hits the yard here? I'm asking only because I live really far from the dealerships and their yards.

2. Where can I source BF Goodrich tyres in Bangalore ?! I'm simply in love with them and have used them extensively before on my Scorpio as well. Please advise and hook me up with the right people/contacts. (BF Goodrich 265/60/R18 AT) Thanks in advance
Congrats!!!

I think its worth the trouble to drive to the yard and checking the vehicle out - not because you need to be certain about the vehicle - but because of the sheer experience. I was at the yard when my vehicle was being offloaded from the container truck and it felt great.

I was chasing after BFGs 265/60/18s myself but they are no where to be found because of the import ban. Be wary of any random upgrades to rim and tire size - it will come back to bite you soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Hi NiP

On PDI, I did mine, but more of a check in box as opposed to a very detailed one.
Exactly, I couldn't care less - I just wanted to lay my hands on it. I did a customary check from the outside and inside to check for any visible issues - nothing - so I was okay. The guy at the yard did allow me to drive the vehicle just a wee bit after it was offloaded. A hardtop leak test was done - but that was pretty much it.

And yes, when my vehicle landed at the yard it was without the infotainment system, which I was told had been sent across separately - not sure if with the same consignment or otherwise. But it was fitted when I took delivery of my vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
Guys also please advise me on one more thing...Insurance !!
I took insurance from GoDigit for 55K (comprehensive 1 plus 2 years) - with all the important add-ons. The dealer will be able to match the quote you get from outside. I was offered Bharati AXA and HDFC Ergo with the same premium by the dealer.

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 11th August 2021 at 09:24.
Old 11th August 2021, 09:37   #2036
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Thar is not a family vehicle, but since you love it so much you might compromise, but it cannot take a family of 4 adults to road trip comfortably, So I would say if you are buying as secondary vehicle go for it
Yes, I don't expect this to be the primary vehicle for family. Xcent will be handed over to wife when offices resume & that will also take care of family outings. I am being selfish here & wanting the THAR to be my primary vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
AT vs. MT is a question of personal preference, and MT does the job very well if you're okay with gear changes in stop-go traffic. Driving in traffic is, in most cases, easier than a sedan/ hatch coz of the presence that dwarfs almost everything else on road. People make way. But driving in narrow lanes, or taking U turns in tight spots will need planning and patience. Expecting your parents to be comfortable in the Thar - the climb up, the back seat's foot space - that can be answered with a test drive, but I'll not think they'll be comfortable in the Thar vs. the Xcent.

Other things you need to be mindful of - a Diesel Thar will give you 11 to 12 kmpl across city + highway. A Petrol Thar will give you mid to high single digits for similar conditions. Things like replacing the tyres when they wear out will be a lot more expensive than the Xcent.

If you're keeping the Xcent n buying the Thar, no brainer - go ahead, but do a proper test drive. If you're replacing your Xcent, then Thar is not the one you should buy
Thank you for adding some useful information. Yes, the plan is to keep Xcent along with THAR. Xcent will be replaced when the time comes but for now Xcent will do family duties & THAR will mostly be for me & wife or for an outing with friends of our age.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 09:59   #2037
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
To be able to use any Active Traction control system you will have to hold the throttle steady and smooth and let the power flow so that the system can divert it. For the rear autolocking differential as well, requires some free wheelspin before it can engage. Both these systems are reactive(unlike selectable lockers), and require some wheelspin to engage.

In the same situation, I would use 4 Low, 1st gear, steady throttle(30-50% maybe) with gentle variations, drop tyre pressures a bit..

The BLD TCS + MLD Autolocker system combination on new Thar is surprisingly well tuned, work well with minimal driver intervention(just use right gear + hold throttle). Only downside is MLD wears down over time and stops working.
Thank you for your advise I shall try the same next time.
May I know why MLD wears down over time? Can't it be overhauled?
Hope by that time, we will have options to install manual lockers!
MithunSathianat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 10:07   #2038
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Thank you for your advise I shall try the same next time.

Quote:
May I know why MLD wears down over time? Can't it be overhauled?
I don't know the exact technical reason but I have observed this in long term with all the cars equipped with MLD from our offroading group, Thar CRDE's & Scorpio(aftermarket fitment). Fortunately both Mahindra and Eaton(for aftermarket fitments) are known to honor warranty.

Quote:
Hope by that time, we will have options to install manual lockers!
For advanced usage or users who know their stuff selectable manual lockers are better, but for casual usage and beginners Autolocker makes more sense, and Autolocker for OE fitment is cheaper and failsafe against misuse.

Last edited by .anshuman : 11th August 2021 at 10:08. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 16:50   #2039
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Hi Navpreet, if I'm not mistaken a member recently had a bad experience with ARC suspension. Do a search of TBHP for the thread and then decide accordingly
Hi, would be great if you could direct me to the thread. Searching for ARC isn't exactly leading me to such a post.

Edit: Found it. I20 right? It is indeed a very serious problem. The problem is not the product but the fact that the customer service given to the customer was lousy. I would never go for such a brand if the customer service is poor no matter how good the product is.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 11th August 2021 at 17:03.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2021, 23:12   #2040
BHPian

Hi all, I found this below image on Facebook. However, I don’t know the veracity of the image or if it was shared on the forum before. But, if true, shows the craze Thar has generated (not that it needs any proof apart from the unreal waiting period )

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f08257a5fe8540f1bf4aa70123a4c97c.jpeg
sahil624 is offline   (9) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks