Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2021, 21:44   #2011
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

But if you're driving nights, and/ or in areas that are prone to bug-missiles, the bug deflector makes a day-night difference.

What I've done is to stick it with 3M double-sided tape - the grey rubberized one. And use vaccum cleaner to blow the gap every other week or so. Moreover, I have PPF on the painted surface, and the bug deflector is stuck on the PPF (I thought it's because of that the stock double-sided tape gave up).

Don't give up on it yet
Well, it didn’t take me long to learn that lesson. I removed the deflector in the morning while cleaning and vacuuming the Thar. I had to drive to Coimbatore today and left home by 12.30pm, and decided to drive via Kollegal roads.

Boy oh boy! The windshield was plastered with all sizes of insects and varieties of bugs. I exhausted the water while using the wipers.

I’ll pick the 3M ones and the first thing I’ll do once I get back home is to put this deflector back. Never understood it’s utility till I didn’t have it.
jkrishnakj is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 09:29   #2012
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkochar View Post
We have a few Thars now in our family and friends circle.
PS. Just checked again and no errors. Not moved the car as it is parked inside, but shut it and started two three times and no errors unlike morning. Could it be a fuse fault or wiring issue. We have many rats in our driveway.
First check for wire cuts due to rats. That is most likely the cause.
Old 9th August 2021, 11:11   #2013

Hello everybody,

I have been reading this thread from the start since I booked a Thar last November (2nd Nov to be specific). Anyway I received the car last week (just a couple of weeks after the CPD). My dealership is India garage in Bangalore and I actually didn't follow up much with my sales guy - just occasional whatsapp messages once a month for the last 2-3 months. So I had a pretty smooth experience.

I was already a Thar owner (had the 2015 4X4 CRDE model) - which was great fun to drive - on road and off-road. So I guess for me waiting for the new one was not really an issue. I know people cribbed about the old Thar - but I found it perfect except for the safety stuff. I don't care much for non-car stuff like touch-screens and power xxx (I didn't even add a stereo in my old Thar). My only reason for upgrading to the new Thar is that it is significantly safer with airbags and some of the other stuff - and the 4 star NCAP rating.

I bought the Petrol Hardtop Manual LX model. Yes I know its thirsty but it will be used primarily for weekend/long drives. I took it out for a spin yesterday - and it is definitely delightful to drive - quite refined and quick and of course a cleaner option than the diesel. I know people here recommended the automatic - but I am old fashioned and I like shifting gears!

Apart from floor mats, seat covers and the rear-view camera I don't think I'll get anything else for now as accessories.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar.jpg

So that's all for now. Hope my experience with the new Thar will be as fun as it was with the old one.

Happy driving!
--Swapnesh
swapnesh is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 12:03   #2014

Having booked Thar through a Kolkata dealership, I do not have any formal CPD. All I have is the booking payment receipt with customer ID dated 8th June 2021 and have been informed by SA to wait for at least 5-6 months for delivery of my petrol automatic convertible top variant.
I follow-up with SA at least once a month but there's no change in waiting period. Should I insist on a formal or written CPD?
Old 9th August 2021, 12:22   #2015
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugat View Post
Should I insist on a formal or written CPD?
You can but CPD has no meaning and is quite useless. Which dealer did you book from? I booked in November and have not received the car yet.
Old 9th August 2021, 12:42   #2016

Which dealer did you book from?

Royal Motors, S.P. Mukherjee Rd, Kolkata.
Old 9th August 2021, 12:54   #2017
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugat View Post
Which dealer did you book from?

Royal Motors, S.P. Mukherjee Rd, Kolkata.
Shree Auto. I have heard good things about Royal and that they have honoured early deliveries.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 14:13   #2018
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Dhruv View Post
I see so many Bhpians around here who had booked their Thar last year,still waiting for delivery.
But this dumb so called car enthusiast (who doesn't even know what auto dimming rear view mirror is), is openly stating that he has been given an option (without any current booking) to get the car in soft top within a few days.

Seems mahindra is doing favours to just anyone having a jack.

https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=mmUAu-gLVtU
I have shared such details (there are many on social media platform chest thumping on using such jack and getting deliveries in just a matter of few days) with AnandMahindra and CustomerCare folks over social media. I have some response from CustomerCare in terms of checking into my booking status but no response on why such unethical practices of dealers bringing the overall credibility of M&M and the products down.

Around the same time, I have SA contacting me asking if I'm interested in taking a different color with the CT (what I requested for)? However, that will attract new/latest price. I don't know how are they managing this, I refused price hike and am asking for the requested change at the prevailing price at my booking time only.
I'm asking the dealer to provide me a few things over email, like the exact process of requesting a change in configuration parameters (color, preference of HT/CT etc) and whether it'd require the existing order to be cancelled and new to be placed! If there are any such terms mentioned, any guidelines from M&M on this is what I'm looking for.

Last edited by Ketan : 9th August 2021 at 14:18.
Old 9th August 2021, 14:33   #2019
BHPian

Quote:
Where are you getting these tires if i may ask? Please be careful about the date of manufacturing.

Otherwise BFG is the be all, end all of AT tires. Some love it, some hate it, but no one can contest its capabilities.
Navpreet Sir, are you still running the BFG tires? Or have you reverted to the stock configuration after the issue you faced?
Would you recommend getting BFG at all?
Old 9th August 2021, 16:44   #2020
BHPian

The new logo of M&M will be introduced in XUV 700 and will slowly extent it to other models in a phased manner. Does that mean that the new Thar models coming out of production line from now on will also sport the new Mahindra identity. The only place they need to change the new logo I recon is on the steering wheel. Any thoughts?
Old 9th August 2021, 16:56   #2021
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Navpreet Sir, are you still running the BFG tires? Or have you reverted to the stock configuration after the issue you faced?
Would you recommend getting BFG at all?
Issues?? What issues?

Absolutely no issues with the BFG. The alloys were rubbing with the Brake Caliper. They've rubbed in properly. The groove is already made in the wheels and they're absolutely freely moving now.

Infact on a daily basis I'm actually loving these more and more!
Full marks to BFG KO2 tires!

I'm running them at 28 PSI for road setup and they're gliding. Much much better than the stock setup.

And offroad these are way way better than stock I don't even have to use 4x4 where most others do.

I'll post a few more pics from dead front and rear. The stance now is just lovely!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210725wa0040.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20210725wa0042.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210725_150714.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210725_150645.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210721_191345.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210721_191323.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210721_191307.jpg  

Last edited by navpreet318 : 9th August 2021 at 16:57.
navpreet318 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:22   #2022
BHPian

Wow! The BFGs look spectacular! I misunderstood that you had gone back to stock set up. Thank you for the pics. While I wait for my Thar, I have decided to take vicarious pleasure from seeing other folks's Thars!
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 17:29   #2023
BHPian

I don't have one single reason that I can tell my brain to convince it of buying a THAR but this has been a childhood dream, right from the days when food was a luxury for us as a family.

This is one of those heart over head things. I just can't stop thinking about this. I just want one reason to put our hard earned money on this. We are a family of 4 for now, me, wife & senior citizen parents. We are in mid thirties and hope to complete the family soon.

We have 7 years old Xcent in our garage which has been a great companion. I have driven it to Jodhpur from Pune and back a number of times. I like road trips, I would love to continue doing that with THAR.

I will not be able to buy AT variant, is MT worth it? Would it be a too much a trouble to drive in Pune traffic? Will I regret? I am not super rich, I have responsibilities and I might not be able to buy another car for a couple of years if I end up buying THAR. Is it worth it? I understand, only I can answer this for me but I have tried & I have failed.
Engine_Roars is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 18:39   #2024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
Would it be a too much a trouble to drive in Pune traffic? Will I regret? I am not super rich, I have responsibilities and I might not be able to buy another car for a couple of years if I end up buying THAR. Is it worth it? I understand, only I can answer this for me but I have tried & I have failed.
Thar is not a family vehicle, but since you love it so much you might compromise, but it cannot take a family of 4 adults to road trip comfortably, So I would say if you are buying as secondary vehicle go for it
a4_attitude is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2021, 23:25   #2025
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine_Roars View Post
We have 7 years old Xcent in our garage which has been a great companion. I have driven it to Jodhpur from Pune and back a number of times. I like road trips, I would love to continue doing that with THAR.

I will not be able to buy AT variant, is MT worth it? Would it be a too much a trouble to drive in Pune traffic? Will I regret? I am not super rich, I have responsibilities and I might not be able to buy another car for a couple of years if I end up buying THAR. Is it worth it? I understand, only I can answer this for me but I have tried & I have failed.
AT vs. MT is a question of personal preference, and MT does the job very well if you're okay with gear changes in stop-go traffic. Driving in traffic is, in most cases, easier than a sedan/ hatch coz of the presence that dwarfs almost everything else on road. People make way. But driving in narrow lanes, or taking U turns in tight spots will need planning and patience. Expecting your parents to be comfortable in the Thar - the climb up, the back seat's foot space - that can be answered with a test drive, but I'll not think they'll be comfortable in the Thar vs. the Xcent.

Other things you need to be mindful of - a Diesel Thar will give you 11 to 12 kmpl across city + highway. A Petrol Thar will give you mid to high single digits for similar conditions. Things like replacing the tyres when they wear out will be a lot more expensive than the Xcent.

If you're keeping the Xcent n buying the Thar, no brainer - go ahead, but do a proper test drive. If you're replacing your Xcent, then Thar is not the one you should buy

Last edited by ph03n!x : 9th August 2021 at 23:31.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks