Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2022, 14:41   #2761
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
How is the light output from those new headlights?

I have installed Bi-LED Projector Fog lights on my Thar, looking to upgrade to better headlights next.

Attachment 2253973

Attachment 2253974

Lumiere Concepts have some really cool looking Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights for the Thar.
What's the cost of these projectors fog lights?

I too am looking for headlight upgrade to LEDs but they are more of show off than actual use so need to compensate with good Fog lights like yours.
Old 4th January 2022, 15:30   #2762
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You should be happy that you are saving 1.8L now and then having to spend this again after a few years of use. Tyre is a consumable as well as it is prone to damage during off-road excursions. Avoid spending too much money on it.
I second you on that and have decided to stick to OEMs for now.

3M PPF itself is costing around 1.4l along with CR70 sun film. I see too much spend for now and it's better to curb down some things.
Old 4th January 2022, 15:48   #2763
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomz View Post
I second you on that and have decided to stick to OEMs for now.

3M PPF itself is costing around 1.4l along with CR70 sun film. I see too much spend for now and it's better to curb down some things.
That is a rip off, treat this vehicle like a Jeep. That way you spend only on Fuel on a regular basis and remember to drive the hell out of it.
Kosfactor is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 15:49   #2764
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
The light output is much better as compared to the stock halogen ones but nothing extraordinary. Maybe not a fair comparison but I have an Octavia with full adaptive LED setup and these ones don't hold a candle in front of those.
Projector Fogs help to a great extend in my case, so adding those minus drl headlight will be ok I guess for my Thar. How is the low beam cutoff of those headlights? Can you please provide some pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
What's the cost of these projectors fog lights?

I too am looking for headlight upgrade to LEDs but they are more of show off than actual use so need to compensate with good Fog lights like yours.

These are iPH M617 3" Projector fog lights. It has 3 color temperature modes, 3000K, 4300K and 6000K.
I got them for Rs 7500, got the contact info from Asterix's (Force Gurkha) owner.
Most important is that, with these LED Projectors, we don't need a relay harness cause its total power consumption is around 45 watts, whereas for Bi-Xenon HID projectors, a relay harness is a must.
Also, the Thar's fog light mount is a bit of an issue to deal with. I am still fine tuning my DIY custom mount for the fog lights.
At the same time, writing down a DIY thread on the Led projectors installation on my Thar.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 4th January 2022 at 15:53.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 16:05   #2765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
That is a rip off, treat this vehicle like a Jeep. That way you spend only on Fuel on a regular basis and remember to drive the hell out of it.
Noted!! I absolutely shall try and do what you have said!!
Old 4th January 2022, 16:32   #2766
BHPian

Is it advisable to switch from the 255/65 R18 to 275/70 R16 or 275/65 R17 with Offset rims of ET 12. I don't fancy negative offset rims or even zero offset rims.

Considering the above mentioned R16 and R17 specs are the best options with almost similar tyre diameter of 31.1". Although availability of All terrain tyres with the specific size is a big question.

My query is mostly related to its effect on the Thar's on-road behavior. Will it effect the Highway manners significantly?
Although I won't be doing my swap to R16 or R17 rims because my Stock MRF Wanderer ATs won't get any exchange value. Will decide once I need to get new tyres.

Thar has a 114.3x5 PCD? I am ok with steel rims as well.
All I want is a good balance on ride comfort and handling in mixed usage.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 4th January 2022 at 16:34.
Old 4th January 2022, 21:03   #2767
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krishnakumar View Post
On the conversion to LED - Just no. Please, no. You'll severely hamper not only your visibility but also the traffic around you.

The closest conversion would be HID since the light radiates out similar to Halogen. So you can explore this option.
Thank you Krishnakumar for your inputs. Will look only for better Halogen bulbs without voiding warranty. Functionality is more important than looks.

If your family drives, they will be happy with the high seating, ease of driving and visibility. In fact, driving the automatic is so easy, I had to wait over 400km to get my hands on it.

My wife drives an A-Star automatic and was comfortable driving Thar in 10 minutes. She is more excited to drive this than my other car, silky smooth Honda Jazz.
Mogs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 21:15   #2768
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The first option you should try is getting better bulbs. Try the Osram Night breakers. Worked for me. Visibility is definitely better as well as throw.
You can also try the Phillips rally vision or race vision. The equivalent ones of the Osram Night breakers.

Also get your lights focus adjusted. Works wonders.
Thank you Navpreet for sharing your experience. Will definitely try Osram or Phillips without using relay. Any preference between the two?

I generally avoid highway driving during nights, but need something better than the stock lights for unavoidable situations. I stayed back in Kemmangundi to watch a beautiful sunset and found it very difficult to drive about 120km on single lane highways without dividers on stock bulbs.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211230_180945.jpg  

Mogs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 21:21   #2769
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
............. Any preference between the two?

................ found it very difficult to drive about 120km on single lane highways without dividers on stock bulbs.
I am using Osram Nightbreakers on mine. Though I strongly suggest you to get your lights focused since the stock lights are no this bad that you found it very difficult!
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 21:33   #2770
BHPian

Thank you, will do that.

The difficulty was due to winding roads in ghats and super bright high beam lights from oncoming vehicles, despite the high seating position in Thar.
Old 5th January 2022, 13:53   #2771

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
Thank you, will do that.

The difficulty was due to winding roads in ghats and super bright high beam lights from oncoming vehicles, despite the high seating position in Thar.
My dealer had pre kitted my Thar with MRX LED Canbus bulbs in stock headlight unit, before delivery (PS: I'm in no way connected with this brand). The color temperature of this bulb is 5000K - 6000K.

I've found them more than adequate during my last 6 weeks of Thar ownership and 4000kms of City, Highway and hill drives.
Just set the headlight leveler at 2 and it is good to go on factory settings.

They are enough bright and wide to help you drive on low beams and one flash of high beam ensures low beam response from oncoming traffic in most cases. In case, the oncoming vehicle doesn't responds in the desired way, the high beam is strong enough to let you drive through safely.
Crosscountryman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 11:45   #2772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Just got ourselves delivered our long long awaited Thar. By just I actually mean just. Yes at 12 Midnight!
Here are a couple of bad night shots. Will soon pen down my 10 year long wait to finally own one.
Yes it's a full on Petrol Automatic Hardtop in a Raging Red colour!
Congratulations Navpreet on your New Thar. Hope you are enjoying your new drive.
sourabhzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 12:52   #2773
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Congratulations Navpreet on your New Thar. Hope you are enjoying your new drive.
Yes Very much so! It is my daily drive. My only drive currently. With all the additions, it has become a very very comfortable daily drive!
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2022, 18:43   #2774
BHPian

We got another fanboy of Thar from Kashmir ! Thar looks stunning in the snowy Gulmarg..

Note - Picture credit to ex CM Omar Abdulla, J&K
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220106184031.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220106184041.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220106184020.jpg  

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 6th January 2022 at 18:44.
highwaypatrol is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th January 2022, 10:59   #2775

Since the day I purchased my petrol Thar LX AT , in spite of all the opposition from family and friends, I've been always extremely pleased with my decision. Worried, but pleased nonetheless.

My go to line to describe the way people look at the Thar has been "Thar is that hot looking girlfriend that everyone wants to date, but no one wants to marry"

However one of the things that worried me most was this This is not a vehicle we would do a Mumbai - Goa run in; the steering is constantly giving feedback, the suspension is busy, there is a lot of wind noise etc. The Thar can get tiring on those super long journeys. We’d be alright with a 5 hour Mumbai – Mahabaleshwar drive, but that's our upper limit quote from the official review.

Everything was in line for me, since it would be my only ride. Yes we do have another vehicle in Bhubaneswar, but I was temporarily there and had to move back to Mumbai. And the day finally came when I was to drive it down. The target was to do 1700kms in 2 days.

I've been pleasantly surprised with the vehicle I must say. About 850kms on day one : Bhubaneswar - Nagpur and 800 odd Nagpur - Mumbai on day 2. Apart from it being a guzzler with a mileage of about 10kmpl there weren't many complains whatsoever.

Doing speeds mostly between 90-110kmph, Thar was pliant(as a ladder frame chasis can be) for most parts, pulling vigorously when required and stopping at the drop of a hat. The ride wasn't the most pleasant across bad patches. You do feel every stone that's there and the steering gives feedback. However, on such patches if you hold is slightly lose, its a lot less stress on the hand. Also, the tyre pressure makes a huge difference. Slightly on the higher side and the ride quality worsens drastically. Thankfully no cases of hood flying open either. I had switched lights to Philips Xtreme vision G-force which I would say were barely adequate. Ideally would want to switch to something more powerful.

Want to mention that the roads were beautiful for most parts. Stretch of about 200kms within odisha was both scenic and smooth before leading to narrow single roads. Chhattisgarh again had really smooth highways and so was the stretch between Nagpur and Aurangabad, adorned with beautiful yellow and red flowers.

Enjoyed the journey to say the least & my love for the beast grows!
Cheers!
Headoverheart is offline   (17) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks