Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:30   #2866
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_god9 View Post
Hello Friends,

So, I am planning to Buy Thar and a little confused in what engine I should invest in ? My running is around 1000KM - 1500 KM a month but not sure whether I should go for Petrol or Diesel. My initial choice is Petrol Automatic but a little concerned about the reliability and fuel efficiency. So, looking for some guidance from bhpians who owns a Thar Petrol automatic.

Thank you
Vivek-
With Diesel you might have an issue with DPF depending on how and where you use it. With Petrol the 20% ethanol rules might lead to complications.
I personally have a diesel and have o issues with it as of now. Will totally recommend,
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:34   #2867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello Friends,

So, I am planning to Buy Thar and a little confused in what engine I should invest in ? My running is around 1000KM - 1500 KM a month but not sure whether I should go for Petrol or Diesel. My initial choice is Petrol Automatic but a little concerned about the reliability and fuel efficiency. So, looking for some guidance from bhpians who owns a Thar Petrol automatic.

Thank you
Vivek-
Hi Vivek, I was in the same conundrum and I ended up with a Thar Petrol Automatic . I also notice your location is pretty similar to mine and thats something which did sway my decision. I like to keep my vehicles long and with work in NCR, I did not want to be forced to get another vehicle in 10 years. I am already suffering due to that rule, have a brilliant condition wolf tuned 10 year old Linea I cant use in NCR any more.

Long term reliability is not something which we can comment on right now (for the Petrol engine) but so far I havent seen too many issues cropping up.
The engine is a gem, pulls like a train, super silent and the shifts on the automatic are super smooth.

In terms of average, I would suggest you keep your expectations around 8 kmpl. I get between 8-12 depending on the speeds and terrain.

If you have any specific questions, do feel free to ask.
All the best for your decision.
sammyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 12:50   #2868
BHPian

Hi fellow Thar owners. Did any of you also suffer a cracked windscreen on their vehicle? I find the windscreen to be very brittle and due to vertical placement, the stones hit the windscreen very hard especially on the highways. I have driven multiple vehicles over last 15 years but have never seen a windscreen cracking due to a stone hit.

Secondly, if you also experienced this, did M&M change this under warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Hello Friends,

So, I am planning to Buy Thar and a little confused in what engine I should invest in ?
I own a P AT and the overall fuel efficiency including weekend off-roading would be 8-8.5kmpl. In city & highways you can expect between 9-11kmpl.

However, P AT has other benefits such as more power than diesel, peace of mind to not worry about DEF etc., slightly cheaper service and if you plan to register in NCR then the longevity and resale too and lastly availability of diesel AT.

If you are sold on diesel, then try to get it registered outside NCR if possible.

Last edited by Eddy : 3rd February 2022 at 13:44. Reason: Merged. Please use the edit / multiquote functionality instead of back to back posts within 30 mins on the same thread.
the pony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:08   #2869
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
Hi fellow Thar owners. Did any of you also suffer a cracked windscreen on their vehicle? I find the windscreen to be very brittle and due to vertical placement, the stones hit the windscreen very hard especially on the highways. I have driven multiple vehicles over last 15 years but have never seen a windscreen cracking due to a stone hit.

Thanks in advance.
Sadly, yes. I have managed to crack the windscreen and have exactly the same concerns as yours. Over 25 years of driving and I havent had such an experience either.

Not had a chance to go to the showroom yet, the crack has increased and its only a matter of time I will have to go and talk to them. Will keep you updated.

P AT 4K kms done so far and this happened around the 3-3.5k km mark or so.

Quote:

If you are sold on diesel, then try to get it registered outside NCR if possible.
Doesnt make a difference. No matter where its registered, you cannot drive a diesel over 10 years old in NCR. Period. They will just impound it or make you pay huge bucks.

Last edited by sammyboy : 3rd February 2022 at 13:18.
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:12   #2870
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I have one bang in the centre of the wind shield wipers. I do not think Mahindra will cover it.
Old 3rd February 2022, 13:59   #2871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow Thar owners. Did any of you also suffer a cracked windscreen on their vehicle?

However, P AT has other benefits such as more power than diesel, peace of mind to not worry about DEF etc., slightly cheaper service and if you plan to register in NCR then the longevity and resale too and lastly availability of diesel AT.

Unfortunately yes, crack appeared on its own and then extended till border. Co-incidentally 4 of my known people faced same issue. Mahindra asks to get it changed through insurance. I feel this crack has more to do with windscreen frame twisting than quality of windscreen.
DEF issue is overhyped and if you simply dont lug your vehicle you may not face this issue. My Thar is now close to 22,000 kms and have covered half of India (including interiors of ladakh, HP, J&K etc.) and i am yet to face any such issue.
Shubhendra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 15:32   #2872
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Doesnt make a difference. No matter where its registered, you cannot drive a diesel over 10 years old in NCR. Period. They will just impound it or make you pay huge bucks.
It's a temporary phenomenon to drive compliance and money making mechanism to siphon off common people. NGT explicitly clarified that outside NCR registered vehicles can ply smoothly in NCR. Imagine someone from Chandigarh need to visit AIIMS in a 11yr old diesel, then should he/she leave the car at border and take a taxi? In India fear factor is required to drive compliance and they ensured that. Gurgaon traffic commissioner also clarified this when the above got reported in media.
the pony is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 15:38   #2873

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Huh???????? How on earth did you get a Cherry Red Thar?

Cheers
I mean to say Red Rage, sorry!

Thanks @sammyboy!
soloTraveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 15:54   #2874
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So, I am planning to Buy Thar and a little confused in what engine I should invest in
Being a happy owner of Thar LX P AT CT, I would absolutely recommend it over the diesel. The power and refinement of the mStallion engine is just mind-blowing! I'd not lose sleep over reliability quotient of the petrol engine, given that it is new to Mahindra. Take extended warranty and you should be good. The only factor to be cognizant of - and I say this based on personal experience - is the fact that the Thar is an addiction and you would invariably end up driving it more than you initially intend to Given the low FE, this might end up hitting your wallet hard, in the long run. But for this, I absolutely love this mill.

I would highly recommend test-driving both engines and take a call based on your feel.
cool_dube is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 16:08   #2875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NGT explicitly clarified that outside NCR registered vehicles can ply smoothly in NCR. Gurgaon traffic commissioner also clarified this when the above got reported in media.
You know I would love to believe what you say too, and in theory thats correct but I have been stopped so many times and harassed that I really dont have anymore patience, time or money to fight. Hopefully you have better luck than me and there is clarity for all of us soon.

Enough Off topic, lets get back to the Thar.

Since I got the Thar I really dont feel like driving the Linea too much.
Plus its been raining so the itch to take the Thar out and drive through puddles and bad roads is huge.
Anyone facing windshield fogging issues too? I do but nothing which tweaking the temperature control knob cant fix, however it happens slightly more than what I face in my other cars.
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:27   #2876
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Anyone facing windshield fogging issues too? I do but nothing which tweaking the temperature control knob cant fix, however it happens slightly more than what I face in my other cars.
It's a problem due to that upright windshield causing more contact area with external moisture laden air. Only solution is to increase temp knob slightly and situate it somewhere in left or right of middle of the blue and red extremes. Do not change other settings and turning off air recirculation (& thus changing it to fresh air) isn't necessary and neither does that help.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:35   #2877
Senior - BHPian

Are you a Youtuber? Then no waiting for the Thar

While we all have been waiting patiently for months to get our deliveries, I am seeing this trend of Youtubers (mainly from the NCR region) getting their vehicles within days. Recently, I saw a couple of videos of guys getting the Diesel LX AT HT, the variant with the most waiting, being delivered in a couple of days.

If it was in the early days after the vehicle launch, it is understandable if Mahindra gives the cars to YouTubers for publicity. But them prioritizing certain people now is simply not acceptable. Does anyone here have the contact details of higher-ups in Mahindra to escalate this issue?
Jaguar is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:35   #2878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
It's a problem due to that upright windshield causing more contact area with external moisture laden air. Only solution is to increase temp knob slightly and situate it somewhere in left or right of middle of the blue and red extremes. Do not change other settings and turning off air recirculation (& thus changing it to fresh air) isn't necessary and neither does that help.
Well said. I agree, with the rains and the cold weather and temperature changes with altitude, I have played around with all these settings and also find that the temperature knob is the only thing that works.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:37   #2879
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
With Diesel you might have an issue with DPF depending on how and where you use it. With Petrol the 20% ethanol rules might lead to complications.
I personally have a diesel and have o issues with it as of now. Will totally recommend,
Thanks Kapany. I actually thought about the issue with DPF and since I already have a diesel SUV in the family, I am leaning more towards Petrol Thar but a little concerned about the FE and reliability. Also, I am getting Petrol LX HT in a week time whereas diesel one is still having a long waiting period.
Quote:
Hi Vivek, I was in the same conundrum and I ended up with a Thar Petrol Automatic . I also notice your location is pretty similar to mine and thats something which did sway my decision. I like to keep my vehicles long and with work in NCR, I did not want to be forced to get another vehicle in 10 years. I am already suffering due to that rule, have a brilliant condition wolf tuned 10 year old Linea I cant use in NCR any more.

Long term reliability is not something which we can comment on right now (for the Petrol engine) but so far I havent seen too many issues cropping up.
The engine is a gem, pulls like a train, super silent and the shifts on the automatic are super smooth.

In terms of average, I would suggest you keep your expectations around 8 kmpl. I get between 8-12 depending on the speeds and terrain.

If you have any specific questions, do feel free to ask.
All the best for your decision.
Thank you Sammyboy, appreciate all the details. Good to know you are also from Dehradun and glad to hear that you are enjoying your Thar without any issues. My monthly running is around 1000 KM to 1500 KM and since I already have a diesel vehicle as primary workhorse, I am leaning more towards the petrol. 8-12 KM is fine actually, I was reading somewhere that the petrol gives 5-6kmpl which seems quite low but thanks for clarifying. Looks like I will settle with petrol as I am getting an offer from a dealer to take the delivery in a week time for 2022 model.
Quote:

Thanks in advance.

I own a P AT and the overall fuel efficiency including weekend off-roading would be 8-8.5kmpl. In city & highways you can expect between 9-11kmpl.

Thanks, the pony. I agree with all the benefits petrol Thar comes with. Also, I keep my car for long and NGT rule does bother after 10 years irrespective of where you register. I have option to register car in Delhi/Noida/Dehradun but will see.

Also, for the issue you mentioned about windshield crack due to stone hit, I have experienced that twice in my Creta as well while driving on highway. My theory is that any SUV type bodyshell is more prone to these cracks since the windshield is in upright position if you compare it with sedans. The first crack happened within a month of taken the delivery and I have replaced it under insurance. thank you.
vivek_god9 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2022, 17:40   #2880
BHPian

Quote:
Sadly, yes. I have managed to crack the windscreen and have exactly the same concerns as yours. Over 25 years of driving and I havent had such an experience either.

Not had a chance to go to the showroom yet, the crack has increased and its only a matter of time I will have to go and talk to them. Will keep you updated.

P AT 4K kms done so far and this happened around the 3-3.5k km mark or so.

Yes, I have also experienced it. I have been fined for driving my 12 year old Dehradun registered swift in Delhi Embassy area few year back.
vivek_god9 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks