Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2023, 12:12   #4366
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
Guys, need suggestions on ICE upgrade for my Thar. It's a Diesel Convertible Top and I am considering the following after a good amount of research and read including this thread.
Hi, I also have D AT CT and like good ICE setup in cars. I find Thar CT is different. I can hear a bike even before i can see it in ORVM or IRVM (ORVMs are big but with bigger blind spots) which I find is good thing considering limited field of vision
At traffic signals I can literally hear people on bikes talking.
Due to all this I ,atleast, haven’t mustered courage to think about audio upgrades.
Look forward to your posts on this and get inspired one day
yadavsid21 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 12:17   #4367
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks to Team-BHP fan Revan for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via this page!

Quote:
Hi,

I am a young automotive enthusiast and own the new Mahindra Thar 4x4 which I purchased late in 2022. A natural calamity occurred, causing materials such as shutters and a 3.5 inch pipe to fall on my hardtop due to heavy wind and rain.

It is understandable for the vehicle body to sustain damages and the glass to break, but seeing the hardtop get cut like a cake really showed the build quality of my vehicle. I have zero complaints about the vehicle, except for the hard top's build quality.

Have claimed insurance, but who will compensate me for the items and accessories in my vehicle. At the time of the incident, my vehicle had a lot of expensive items inside the car such as a subwoofer and multiple personal belongings. Had to bear the loss myself.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-5ee41b8eeb994b3ca338d4169bbc2a1e.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-6f22de28a48f4376a6bcb21a08ed3bc0.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-254b3e7c593d4849b8a47a22e154a510.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-d133f26806db44779882eaf9ef5047a8.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-da1859c46f2046e3afb1dc93ee6d31e8.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e9aa566af550453880f8a52b050cc6f9.jpg
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 14:29   #4368
Team-BHP Support

Gwalozu Thong has sent this query in via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I have a one year & three month-old Thar diesel giving a signal indicating that the DEF tank sensor is not responding. The Mahindra service station people tell me that I need to replace the DEF tank, but it will take around 3 months for the tank to arrive. I want to know if I can still keep driving the vehicle as my job is far away from home. The DEF refilling was done in January 2023. The service people couldn't give me a satisfactory answer.
Aditya is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th May 2023, 16:00   #4369
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Team-BHP fan Revan for sending this information in.
Can we request him to send clearer pics perhaps? It seems like only the glass section has broken and the panels are 'damaged'. Where is the hard top roof cut / broken, is not quite apparent from these pics. Depending on the severity of the incident I'm not sure whether or not the damage is indeed disproportionate.

Quote:
It is understandable for the vehicle body to sustain damages and the glass to break, but seeing the hardtop get cut like a cake really showed the build quality of my vehicle. I have zero complaints about the vehicle, except for the hard top's build quality.
Axe77 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 00:30   #4370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Gwalozu Thong has sent this query in via this Team-BHP share page!

Quote:
I have a one year & three month-old Thar diesel giving a signal indicating that the DEF tank sensor is not responding. The Mahindra service station people tell me that I need to replace the DEF tank, but it will take around 3 months for the tank to arrive. I want to know if I can still keep driving the vehicle as my job is far away from home. The DEF refilling was done in January 2023. The service people couldn't give me a satisfactory answer.
Depending on driving conditions, a tank of DEF will last at least 8k to 10k KM. So if this sensor is to compute the quantity of DEF in the tank, keep 7k KM as a safe limit.

Also, 3 months for a part sounds highly suspicious. Go to another MASS, or write to customer care about it.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 10:11   #4371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post

My Mahindra Thar Petrol LX AT 4x4 HT

After following this thread for a long time, and closely seeing the off-roading adventures of some of my close friends who own a Thar, I decided to buy a Thar for myself. Thanks a lot to my close friend @robimahanta for both inspiration to buy a Thar and for helping with the booking and the purchase process.

This thread has an immense amount of knowledge, and thanks to everyone here for helping me learn about this car. Although I have been reading this thread all the time, this is my first post here, and from now on, hoping to contribute here.

Attachment 2449491

Attachment 2449492

Congrats Dr.AD! Can't wait to see some photos from your trips to come. Wishing you many safe miles of journeys!
yuvmudapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 10:37   #4372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks to Team-BHP fan Revan for sending this information in. Heartfelt gratitude for sharing it with other enthusiasts via
My empathy is with the victim, but isn't this a enough reminder to inform insurer about the accessories and add them to the coverage plan. Are there any restrictions by IRDA like what can and what cannot be added?
saurabh041086 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 17:08   #4373
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
….
I keep watching this thread and did not have a strong enough reason to post - And now I found one
Congratulations and looking forward to more travelogues and Thar Stories!

What modifications you are aiming for? I am curious to see what modifications you choose for your taste and functional needs. And I am sure you will have some more challenging solo monsoon drives too this year!

And may be a new ownership thread too?
abirnale is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 17:42   #4374
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow AD. Heart congratulations. You for sure will enjoy the drives and it’s a great company to your Red one in the garage. Can’t wait to get to see your write ups on your off-road adventures and your lovely pictures that accompany the write ups.

Hope to see you and the machine in person soon. Wishing lots of happy miles, on the roads and otherwise. Cheers.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2023, 18:13   #4375
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuvmudapa View Post
Congrats Dr.AD! Can't wait to see some photos from your trips to come. Wishing you many safe miles of journeys!
Thank you very much! Hoping to be able to share some photos soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abirnale View Post
Congratulations and looking forward to more travelogues and Thar Stories!
Thank you very much, Avinash!

Quote:
What modifications you are aiming for? I am curious to see what modifications you choose for your taste and functional needs.
I have a few functional mods in mind. For example:

1. Suspensions: I will do a couple of trips on stock suspensions and then take a call. It seems that in 2023 Thars, the stock suspension is improved over the 2020 and 2021 models. Many people who drove both cars have mentioned this, and I also strongly felt so. However, even the improved suspension still feels a bit funny in ride quality. I will reserve my opinion till I do a couple of highway drives and a couple of off-road trails. And then I will take a call on suspension change. But there is a good chance I will get the AVO suspensions from Arka Motorsports.

2. Headlights: I will get 100/90 bulbs with appropriate relays. Stock headlights are pathetic.

3. Front Seats: The stock seats lack any thigh support as well as side support. Even the stock seat fabric quality is quite bad. I will get the seats bolstered with added support, and then do genuine leather upholstery.

4. Rear Seats: Either I will remove them completely, or make them fold and tumble using the mod that is commonly done by many Thar owners. Thar will be a 2-seater car for me. The rear space is only for luggage, not for passengers.

5. And then get some additional accessories like armrests, dashcam (which is a must), some better floormats etc.

Unfortunately I am swamped with some work as well as personal commitments for next two weeks. The Thar came earlier than I expected and caught me in the middle of a lot of things happening at the same time. I will get a chance to do any of these mods only in the third week of May, I guess.

Quote:
And I am sure you will have some more challenging solo monsoon drives too this year!
I sure hope so. I love solo drives, and Thar is an ideal companion for solo drives. That was indeed one of the motivations behind buying Thar. Yes, I do have some "monsoon solo" plans in mind, and I hope I get a chance to make those happen.

Quote:
And may be a new ownership thread too?
It is too early to start that. I hope to start the new thread after I do a couple of drives and drive the Thar for about 1000km. That way I would have some meaningful things to say and some photos to post. Right now my opinions are too premature as these are very early days for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Oh wow AD. Heart congratulations. You for sure will enjoy the drives and it’s a great company to your Red one in the garage. Can’t wait to get to see your write ups on your off-road adventures and your lovely pictures that accompany the write ups.
Thank you very much KJ! Hope to get a chance to do some trips and post write-up in this monsoon season. Will keep sharing whatever I can.

Quote:
Hope to see you and the machine in person soon. Wishing lots of happy miles, on the roads and otherwise. Cheers.
Definitely. Would love to meet in person and catch up. We have a few drives together that are pending. Let us finish those soon.

Thanks again for your kind words!
Dr.AD is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 00:00   #4376
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Can we request him to send clearer pics perhaps? It seems like only the glass section has broken and the panels are 'damaged'. Where is the hard top roof cut / broken, is not quite apparent from these pics. Depending on the severity of the incident I'm not sure whether or not the damage is indeed disproportionate.
See this. If you look closely, you'll realise hard top is broken. Whatever fell on it just cracked it. Since it is one piece I suppose it would have to be changed fully.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20230512_235755_brave.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20230512_235712_brave.jpg
batish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 12:22   #4377
BHPian

Hey guys. Long time no post.

Had my first insurance claim on my thar. A coconut fell on my bonnet while driving damaging a part of my bonnet and the driver side fender. The repair cost was 16k. The bonnet and the fender needed tinkering and had to be fully re-painted. The colour now is a tad different from the OG paint but I guess that's bound to happen. It's super marginal but I noticed it. Had zero dep insurance so only had to pay 2k. I have Tata AIG. The claim process was smooth and no hassles at all. Took them about 5 days to repair at randhawa, Kurla in Mumbai.

I am very curious about coil spring buffer kit. Has anyone here tried it? Does it improve ride quality? Would love to know what you guys think about it. Here is a pic of what is on amazon. Costs about 4.5k. Worth it?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20230513_120911_in.amazon.mshop.android.shopping.jpg  

ravishankr89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2023, 13:10   #4378
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravishankr89 View Post
Hey guys. Long time no post.

I am very curious about coil spring buffer kit. Has anyone here tried it? Does it improve ride quality? Would love to know what you guys think about it. Here is a pic of what is on amazon. Costs about 4.5k. Worth it?
This stiffens the ride a bit. Reduces articulation and hence reduces bobbing and swaying. It is usually good to add on to the lower GC vehicles.

I have added it to my Dad’s Glanza and it definitely has improved the ride and stopped the car from bottoming out on our abrupt hillock like speed breakers.

I used it for about 7 years on my Skoda Yeti. It stiffened the ride and saved even the Yeti when under full load of passengers, from hitting its underside on these abrupt speed breakers.

I have not added these to my Cooper despite its low GC because I dont want the characteristics of that car to be altered. And anyway I have just re-done the entire suspension on it.

I have not added it to my Thar since I have already installed the AVO suspension.

I am not sure how much it will help the stock Thar, but for 4.5K it is worth the experiment, in my opinion.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 08:50   #4379
BHPian

Quote:

Choosing the color: I always loved the Mystic Copper shade that the Thar had. I used to tell my friends that if I ever buy a Thar, that would be my choice. But unfortunately that color got discontinued already, and it was not available for me. That first choice of color was always Mystic Copper.
Use it with carefree abandon on your off-roading. And once it picks up enough nicks and dents go ahead and repaint it in Mystic Copper. (provided of course the KA RTO allows that!). And best of all you can adjust the colour formulation to suit your exact tastes.
My experience of the repainting is here:-
https://www.team-bhp.com/news/2007-s...stom-paint-job

In the report you will find I had test painted a patch of Mystic Copper. But preferred the Cyan colour ultimately.

Last edited by sridhar-v : 14th May 2023 at 08:53. Reason: added comment
sridhar-v is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 11:29   #4380
Senior - BHPian

I did a drive to Idukki with fellow bhpian MithunSathianat couple of days back. We explored some pretty decent rocky trails in the region. The weather was lovely with the recent spell of summer rains. It rained on the day too. A perfect day for some aimless driving, even more so with Thar.

It was an impromptu plan and hence couldn't do much homework but was lucky enough to get what we were hoping for. A jungle trail with stream crossings, rocky path and mud roads etc was the icing on the cake. I had my li'l one(8 years) joining as well. Boy loves such outings and always waits for the next one

During the trails, there were few treacherous part which the Thar took it with aplomb. I would say it was a cakewalk. Both our Thars are fitted with Arka under body shields and had couple of mild underbelly hits during the drive. It did the job wonderfully well. The peace of mind it offers is worth every penny shelled out for the armour plates. The DEF tank, as most know here, is the most vulnerable of the lot. Anyone who subjects the Thar to decent off roading should have them installed without second thought.

Here are few pictures of the partners in crime and glimpses of scenic beauty the region offers.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1ff5e7e5f75c4958adbff91ffd821d92.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_152913.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230514_095014.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_154550.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_144907.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1148.jpeg1.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1152.jpeg.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1165.jpeg.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1148.jpeg.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1145.jpeg.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1155.jpeg.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1149.jpeg.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230514wa0028.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_180714.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_170143.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_135235.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_130747.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_164505.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_171010.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_171021.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_154946.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_213026.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_095656.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_112623.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_164837.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230511_094945.jpg  

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 14th May 2023 at 11:51.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (48) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks