Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2023, 11:15   #4426
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by snallagatla View Post
This is interesting, thanks for sharing batish. So, Hard top now contains 2 parts? In some of the YouTube videos, I see it as a single part.
Yes. It contains two parts. If you have a Thar, check for screw first and then the gap between rear and front roof. Older ones without screw have a line which is filled with silicone. Newer ones have gap in that same line.

Can anyone please confirm if water stagnates on roof of their Thar as well, just like mine does¿ There are two spots where it stays, one at the back and one at the front very close to the windshield.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 21:17   #4427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

Undo these screws including ones which are in interior and there you have your sunroof. When done, screw it back in.
I hope Mahindra can sell replacements for the front and rear roof bits.
A moon roof or a sunroof accessory option from the manufacturer would be fantastic.
vellatechie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 21:36   #4428
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
I hope Mahindra can sell replacements for the front and rear roof bits.
A moon roof or a sunroof accessory option from the manufacturer would be fantastic.
My Thar is a Feb 2021 model. It has one screw on either side in the front portion of the front roof panel but not at the rear of this front portion. I have that silicone and a rubber strip in front and in the rear where the ‘join’ is. I wonder if indeed this new one with screws at front and rear on either side of this front roof piece is a Wrangler type removable freedom top. If it is then it would be nice if Mahindra offers early buyers a paid upgrade at a fair price.
Old 28th May 2023, 22:48   #4429
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In some of the YouTube videos, I see it as a single part.
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=46wRr2Z2GIE&t=24s
It seems like they've not removed all screws from the inside and hence it appears to be staying intact as one piece. As the video is about to end(last 2 secs or so), one can see the front piece dropping off a bit from the rear piece.

Quote:
Guys, Mahindra did it again silently.

Have observed new Thar’s. See these photos and markings.

Attachment 2455987

See no screw in earlier one which is on the right. Screws on newer one which is on the left.
That's some sharp eye for details . The Thar on the left in the picture is my Thar of which the production date is last week of Jan'23. This finding gives me a ray of hope of removing the front portion and refit without any potential water leakages or rattles. While it's so tempting to try it out, have read elsewhere on the forum or in the manual that removing the hardtop and refitting them doesn't guarantee a leak proof fitting. Also, I understand that few of the 2021 Thars had the HT(the front portion) rattling and same got fixed by re applying the silica sealant if I'm not mistaken.

So I'm very hesitant at this moment unless some expert at Mahindra gives a go ahead. Moreover, monsoon is around the corner in my part of the world and it's not worth taking a risk. By the way, I had made the PDI folks to pressure wash the HT before delivery. Later I got to know that it's part of their PDI process itself.

Quote:
Can anyone please confirm if water stagnates on roof of their Thar as well, just like mine does¿ There are two spots where it stays, one at the back and one at the front very close to the windshield.
I haven't quite observed this as one can't see the roof unless one climbs on the footsteps to do final wiping after the wash. i've a helper chap and more often we both wash the car together and he generally does the final roof wiping while I wipe the painted area and hence not noticed if the water is staying on roof or not. I shall keep an eye on this and update if it's the same with my Thar too.

* Self reporting to merge the back to back posts.

Last edited by Aditya : 29th May 2023 at 04:40. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Bibendum90949 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 23:13   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
Yes. It contains two parts. If you have a Thar, check for screw first and then the gap between rear and front roof. Older ones without screw have a line which is filled with silicone. Newer ones have gap in that same line.
Ok, I'm expecting my Thar by next month. This is the first thing I'm going to check on my Thar, Thanks batish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
It seems like they've not removed all screws from the inside and hence it appears to be staying intact as one piece. As the video is about to end(last 2 secs or so), one can see the front piece dropping off a bit from the rear piece.
Understood, thanks for explaining.

I just happened to see another video on Wrangler hard top removal. Its amazing to see how quickly the front hard top was removed within few seconds. I'm really hoping new Thar will also have something similar.

snallagatla is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2023, 23:16   #4431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
My Thar is a Feb 2021 model. It has one screw on either side in the front portion of the front roof panel but not at the rear of this front portion. I have that silicone and a rubber strip in front and in the rear where the ‘join’ is.
Older ones are this way. Silicone usually gives up after some time especially in heat so I guess they added this as fail safe mechanism by doing away with silicone fully.

Quote:
I wonder if indeed this new one with screws at front and rear on either side of this front roof piece is a Wrangler type removable freedom top.
Oh no, it is not. There are too many screws here. In wrangler, you just need to pop up clips to open the roof. Not so simple in this one. You need to remove the plastic trims inside the interior - Top one which is beside rear view mirror and trim where speakers are located to remove the screws.

After you're done removing, you'd have to attach those trims back. Then when you want to get the roof back, follow the steps in reverse.

Too much hassle!

Btw, since you have hard top Thar could you help in finding out whether water stays stagnant on your roof or it flows down properly. I have two spots - one at front and one at back where water after rain or washing just accumulates. It's like a little recess. Would be really helpful for me if you could share the pictures too. Thanks!

Quote:
It seems like they've not removed all screws from the inside and hence it appears to be staying intact as one piece....One can see the front piece dropping off a bit from the rear piece.
Even if you remove all the screws it won't be separated so easily as it has been glued with silicone too. For the silicone ones removing it is sure shot way to bring in water. It's just a matter of 'when'. So if anybody is planning to remove older one which is stuck with ton of silicone, I'd say avoid. If you're that desperate just remove the whole thing in one piece.

Adding silicone back would be messy and shoddy work, no matter from where you get it done.

Quote:
The Thar on the left in the picture is my Thar of which the production date is last week of Jan'23. This finding gives me a ray of hope of removing the front portion and refit without any potential water leakages. While it's so tempting to try it out, have read elsewhere on the forum or in the manual that removing the hardtop and refitting them doesn't guarantee a leak proof fitting.
You can remove hard top as a whole. There's no silicone sealant anywhere. The sealant usually is in the crevice where front and rear meet. Btw, mine is Jan '22. So I suppose they must have added this when they changed bumper colours, removed lumbar support and added start stop.

Quote:
I haven't quite observed this since one can't see the roof unless one climbs on the footsteps to do final wiping. i've a helper chap and generally we both wash the car together and he generally does the final roof wiping while I wipe the painted area and hence not noticed if the water is staying on roof after the wash. I shall keep an eye on this and update if it's the same with my Thar too.
Thank you sir. Could be please drop one bottle of water and check. Just like I have attached image in my previous post, is it the same way?

Quote:
Ok, I'm expecting my Thar by next month. This is the first thing I'm going to check on my Thar.
Congratulations! I must say you have a good choice in cars.

Btw, don't expect removing roof to be so simple. The one I've mentioned would easily take half an hour to just remove and same to attach again. So it's not really practical. Additionally, there's risk of clips breaking while removing and refitting interior trims. It's not simple at all.

Last edited by batish : 28th May 2023 at 23:20.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 07:37   #4432
BANNED

Quote:
Older ones are this way. Silicone usually gives up after some time especially in heat so I guess they added this as fail safe mechanism by doing away with silicone fully.

Oh no, it is not. There are too many screws here. In wrangler, you just need to pop up clips to open the roof.
Too much hassle!

Btw, since you have hard top Thar could you help in finding out whether water stays stagnant on your roof or it flows down properly.. Would be really helpful for me if you could share the pictures too. Thanks!

Btw, don't expect removing roof to be so simple. The one I've mentioned would easily take half an hour to just remove and same to attach again. So it's not really practical. Additionally, there's risk of clips breaking while removing and refitting interior trims. It's not simple at all.
The Wrangler and its clips to remove the front section etc is a great piece of engineering. They invested time, efforts and money in getting the right leak-free result. The material is also lighter and yet very durable.

The moulds and dies alone must have cost a packet but one cannot expect a Mahindra to invest in such and yet price the Thar the way they have done.

Yes I understand about the silicone and rubber pieces role. I personally would never try and remove my hard top, however tempting it may be, because whatever one does afterwards, to put it back, will never have the same result as that of the factory. The reason I bought the hardtop was to prevent theft and leaks. So I will stay with it.

My Thar’s roof does not have any water stagnation. It rained yesterday night. And there are no signs of any stagnation at all.

In your case, the roof upoer portion must have slightly warped creating a small low point where water collects.

Here are the pictures you asked for.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2449.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2450.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2445.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2446.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2448.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2447.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 11:15   #4433
BHPian

Shankar.Balan and others who have got AVO installed, i got my D AT HT Feb 2023 model installed with a demo kit from AVO. The ride improved drastically which I felt right away especially if the road condition is very bad eg. like off road like craters and ditches etc. which is the current road condition in my street. The sideways movement is well controlled (is there but improved), overall I felt the vehicle is composed compared to the stock which feels loose, soft and bouncy and lot less confidence inspiring basically. But I went for a long 300+ kms test drive in ECR to Pondy and return via GST back to Chennai. Overall again more composed but there are stretches in which the drive wasn't pleasant at all. I remember the setting is at 3 clicks the technician mentioned. I need to really double check. But the return journey was not too different I felt for 1 lakh plus upgrade. Can someone help to understand the setting for better composure, control and smooth ride. I know I'm asking for everything but this much amount I am spending and my expectation were slightly higher.

Also 100 kmph speed is actually the pleasant range for the HT, imho. Even though the wind noise is controlled compared to the ST, it gets louder after 90kmph. 2.2 under the hood is handicapped due to the external factors.

Full tank shows 750+ kms (pondy fuel cost makes you to fill to the brim and more) range and the fuel meter hardly wanted to go down as I could only maintain 80-90 kmph mostly due to Sunday traffic all the way.

So pls help to understand my observation on the suspension and it's behaviour as I need to make a call today.

Last edited by sgmuser : 29th May 2023 at 11:41.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 12:25   #4434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
But I went for a long 300+ kms test drive in ECR to Pondy and return via GST back to Chennai. Overall again more composed but there are stretches in which the drive wasn't pleasant at all. I remember the setting is at 3 clicks the technician mentioned. I need to really double check. But the return journey was not too different I felt for 1 lakh plus upgrade. Can someone help to understand the setting for better composure, control and smooth ride. I know I'm asking for everything but this much amount I am spending and my expectation were slightly higher.

Also 100 kmph speed is actually the pleasant range for the HT, imho. Even though the wind noise is controlled compared to the ST, it gets louder after 90kmph. 2.2 under the hood is handicapped due to the external factors.

Full tank shows 750+ kms (pondy fuel cost makes you to fill to the brim and more) range and the fuel meter hardly wanted to go down as I could only maintain 80-90 kmph mostly due to Sunday traffic all the way.

So pls help to understand my observation on the suspension and it's behaviour as I need to make a call today.
What works for others may not work for you, that is a reality we cannot escape from. I tell you this because I have seen people quoting stellar fuel efficiency numbers that are sometimes ~40% more than I get with the same vehicle (not referring to Thar).

So we all drive differently and have different expectations.

One experiment that you can perform - since you have a demo unit.

Tyre pressure - early morning set it to exact number specified in the sticker using a digital portable pump. Try a bit of rough roads at low and high speeds, highways at relatively high speeds, some quick lane changes when safe to do so and see how the vehicle behaves.

Once the demo unit is removed, try the same with your stock suspension.

As a paying customer you should be able to trust the mod, else stick to the tested and validated OEM set up.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2023, 18:19   #4435
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomz View Post
Hey guys, need some advice. I am moving to BF KO2s, 285/60/18 on stock rims for now and wanted to know, what is the lowest psi I can drop to? I have used some tire calculator sites and they say normal pressure should be 27 psi if we do a comparison to stock tires.
I got Maxxis Bravo 980 ATs in the 285/60 R18 size. I run them @ 30 PSI in the city and 32 on the highway. I am apprehensive about underinflation as it can have severe consequences (including tyre bursts). Furthermore, the Thar's TPMS system goes berserk at 29 PSI or lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomz View Post
Actually I was kneen on 17inchers but didn't want to invest on rims at the moment.
I also was keen on 17s or even 16s. Problem areas:

- Very limited rim design options

- Even worse, almost zero options for 285 mm AT tyres in 16 or 17 (I found one set, that too was an MT tyre).

One alloy wheel dealer fainted when I asked him for 16 & 17 inch designs. He said "sir, all Thar owners want to go for 20 & 22 inch. Why on earth do you want to wear smaller rims" .
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2023, 13:01   #4436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
When the steering is on full lock point, left or right, the tyre of this large size will touch the sway bar.
I also love the big fat tyres. But in my Petrol Thar I am resisting the temptation to upsize, because of two reasons. One is the above. The other is the strong possibility that my fuel efficiency will drop further, which I just don’t want.
So, I changed the tires and drove around 70-80 kms on tar and some of dirt, did some basic articulation and found that it’s not brushing anywhere as of now. I will always keep an eye on it and for now, we are good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
I got Maxxis Bravo 980 ATs in the 285/60 R18 size. I run them @ 30 PSI in the city and 32 on the highway. I am apprehensive about underinflation as it can have severe consequences (including tyre bursts). Furthermore, the Thar's TPMS system goes berserk at 29 PSI or lower.
Well, I started with 27psi and now am at 30 psi. This was due to the same fear and TPMS. I re-calibrated it but still for 30 psi, it’s showing me low pressure. I might have to calibrate it again. Don't you feel the ride a bit bouncy at 32 psi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
One alloy wheel dealer fainted when I asked him for 16 & 17 inch designs. He said "sir, all Thar owners want to go for 20 & 22 inch. Why on earth do you want to wear smaller rims"
He is right, you ain’t living with the trend!!

The main reason I didn’t go for 16” was the drive quality on highways goes a bit harsh. With the current setup, I feel good. I might go for ironman shocks post my trip to Spiti. Let's see.
Old 31st May 2023, 14:45   #4437
BHPian

Mahindra Thar RWD Badge Spotted

With this new RWD badge, it's clear that the vehicle is not a 4×4 model, and some might see it as a step-down or a compromise. Nevertheless, it's a necessary change considering that the RWD variant is cheaper and more accessible to a wider audience. Overall, the new badge design is bold and eye-catching, but it might not please everyone. It's a small detail, but in the SUV market, every little thing counts.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-mahindratharrwdnewbadgespied2642x1125.jpg

Also, as we can see in the image, Mahindra is offering MRF Wanderer A/T tyres again.

SOURCE: RUSHLANE
GhostGrid is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 15:27   #4438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGrid View Post
Mahindra Thar RWD Badge Spotted

With this new RWD badge, it's clear that the vehicle is not a 4×4 model
I cant think of any other manufacturer that has gone down this route

Every one I can think of has identified AWD/4x4 to differentiate from the norm, which was 2WD in most cases

But identifying it as RWD, and not 4x4 feels like a ding. Not having the badge should have sufficed!

Im not sure any owner would want to flaunt RWD 'only', and not the 'full' 4x4 deal
'
Old 31st May 2023, 17:40   #4439
BHPian

hi everyone,

What is the mileage you are getting on the HT Diesel Manual and HT Petrol Manual. Preferably if this information can be coming from owners who have had their Thars for more than a year.

Thank you in advance, this will help in my decision making.

Regards

K.
Old 31st May 2023, 18:21   #4440
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksingh544 View Post

What is the mileage you are getting on the HT Diesel Manual and HT Petrol Manual. Preferably if this information can be coming from owners who have had their Thars for more than a year.
K.
There are pages and pages on this subject.

I have a 27 month old Petrol HT AT.
My observations are below. (General average)
7-8kmpl in the hills
10-11.6kmpl on highways when driven at 100kmph max, with cruise control on and if driven upto 110kmph only for overtaking.
7-9kmpl in normal city usage.
Worst Ive ever got has been 6 (when using 4H and 4L over some mud and slush and rocks for some time)
And best Ive ever got is 12 on the highway last year to Madurai with cruise control on almost all the time.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks