Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2023, 19:07   #4576
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Personally I am very satisfied with my Ceat Czars.
And the MRF Wanderers as well as Cross Drives are both good too is what I am told. Espexially considering our famous Indian Broken Tarmac everywhere.
Yoko Geolandars are great tyres. Made in India hence easily available.
265/60/18 would be a good size and well within the tolerance limit.
You might want to consider Vredesteins too. They are now made in India by Apollo Tyres.
And you might fund Michelin LTX a little soft but rhey are a great option for highway use.
The latter three all look very nice indeed.
See pics attached.
Thank you for the prompt reply. MRFs are a reputed brand but the ones which came with my vehicle just wouldn’t stop leaking, hence I want to switch. I am not very sure about CEATs either because they come stock with vehicle and I fear quality compromises with them too. As matter of fact, I think 255/65 r18 is an odd size not produced by many big names, could this be a shady agreement between MRF, CEAT and Mahindra? Well who knows….

I think I’ll have to go with 265/60 r18s. However, please do shed some light on the effect of increase it width and a slight decrease in sidewall. I am also inclined to opt for Highway Terrain (HT) tyres over All Terrains (AT) this time. Shouldn’t be a problem?

The type of HT tyre that is in my mind:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4a872174575743e1a650aa22bce63289.jpeg  

Last edited by Malhi : 9th July 2023 at 19:15.
Old 10th July 2023, 02:50   #4577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
Could someone share latest prices for 4th and 5th year extended warranty please. Unable to check as I'm not registered.

Could you share if you bought insurance from Mahindra or outside and how much it costed you? Can email at thar - AT - sandeeprawat d0t com

Dealer is quoting me 110806 for insurance (1 yr comp. + 3 yr third party). Wondering how can I get a better deal.

Any discounts etc. I can get on P-AT/CT/4WD in NCR?

This is the quotation I received from dealer
Hi, Have you finalised the Thar. I am also based in Delhi NCR and had finalized RWD Petrol AT for booking and then realised that 7km/lt average with my run of daily 30 Kms will burn a hole of 60K extra per year than diesel usage. So, i am exploring Diesel LX HT AT for city driving.
I am still undecided between Diesel AT or MT for Delhi NCR usage as limited is 10 years. I had used my honda city ivtec for 14+years so IMHO 10 years looks much less to sell off due to NGT challenges.
But probably the resale value of Diesel will make up for the extra amount paid. Buying a car is such a complex decision.
Let me know if your thoughts.

Experts, please guide between Diesel LX MT or AT? I drive in Delhi NCR which has obvious traffic concerns, though i never felt any major issues with MT cars so far.
Old 10th July 2023, 06:05   #4578
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
I think 255/65 r18 is an odd size not produced by many big names,

I think I’ll have to go with 265/60 r18s. However, please do shed some light on the effect of increase it width and a slight decrease in sidewall.

also inclined to opt for Highway Terrain (HT) tyres over All Terrains (AT) this time. Shouldn’t be a problem?

:
1. 255/65/18 is not an odd size any longer.
2. 265/60/18 is the perfect upsize for the new Thar. Honestly you will not notice any appreciable difference because of the miniscule increase in width and reduced sidewall.
3. Considering your description of your specific usage patterns AT will suit you better.
4. My own usage pattern is city and highways 90-95% but on account of our terrible roads and my personal desire to ‘feel’ equipped to go anywhere at anytime, I have been using AT’s on my Jeepy things for a long time.
5. AT’s are just much more versatile than HT’s and one simply doesn’t worry a whit about bad roads, sharp potholes, stones and rocks and sharp concrete jelly, metro and other construction material like extrusion rods and things, as well as general debris and all the other wonderful things that are a normal part of our city streets.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 11:55   #4579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post

Experts, please guide between Diesel LX MT or AT? I drive in Delhi NCR which has obvious traffic concerns, though i never felt any major issues with MT cars so far.
No expert but here are my two cents. An AT is always by far a better choice for bumper to bumper traffic, however if mileage is a concern then a diesel MT will be a better choice. I haven’t tested the 1.5 Thar but the 2.2 has a pretty decent low end torque and a soft clutch hence is easy to drive in traffic. I believe for the 1.5 engine the MT will a better choice for highway driving as with the AT you might have to face frequent downshifts and high revvs on hard acceleration.

My suggestion is that you test drive both of them and then make a choice. My inclination would still be towards the diesel MT because an automatic gearbox in the long run is not every car manufacturer’s piece of cake. (Ref. Dsg for VW) (sorry for sounding like a typical uncle)

Last edited by Malhi : 10th July 2023 at 11:56.
Malhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 12:01   #4580

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjoelj View Post
To current owners: Have you faced this issue and how did you fix it?
To new and prospective owners: Please be careful and weary of all service jobs related to the Thar or Mahindra!

And to everyone on this forum: Any suggestions on how to address this amicably?
Hey All, still no response from the dealer or Mahindra, open to ideas on how to deal with this issue ��

Last edited by Eddy : 10th July 2023 at 12:03. Reason: Shortening quoted portion for better readability
Old 10th July 2023, 13:49   #4581
BHPian

Thar LED Headlight Upgrade:

After a long search, I have finalised TRUCK-LITE 27291C / LHT (Right Hand Drive) which is a sealed beam 7inch headlight.
I have ordered it online, received it at my home in sharp 15 days straight from the US.

These are the best 7inch sealed beam headlights from the renowned Truck-Lite brand from US, and this is made in USA. This particular model has a lovely parking light which can be connected to thar parking light switch.

As per internet, Truck-Lites provide the similar sealed beam headlights to Humvees for US military, so quality wise it should be much better than the Chinese and Taiwanese models.
Even the most popular model from the brand STEDI is sourced from South-East Asian countries and it was my major reason to source it from TRUCK-LITE. Few pictures are as below. Iam planning to do it DIY in the coming week and will update you guys on the performance.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img1493.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img1494.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img1495.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img1496.jpg  

highwaypatrol is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 14:00   #4582
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Thar LED Headlight Upgrade:

After a long search, I have finalised TRUCK-LITE 27291C / LHT (Right Hand Drive) which is a sealed beam 7inch headlight.
I have ordered it online, received it at my home in sharp 15 days straight from the US.
How much it costed you including all costs involved? Please share the link of the site from where you purchased it.
I am also on the lookout for good headlights. I had almost finalised Stedis but it’s high post import duty price along with not very perfect assembly, is keeping me on fence for the time being. I will eagerly await your reviews on the your Truck-lites.
Old 10th July 2023, 18:19   #4583
BHPian

Hi all,

After years of reading this thread, we've finally decided to buy the Thar. Years of contemplation went in to decide whether the Thar will fit our usage or not. I'm happy about this as the Thar is one vehicle which both my parents love (this never happens...)

A couple of incidents happened in this week which led to this decision :
1. My father drove a friend's Thar D AT. This is the first time he drove a Mahindra diesel post BS6 and he simply loved it. The high seating position and the easy drivability impressed him. He told me that he likes the driving position of the Thar more than our XUV700.
2. I happened to see GTO's Thar on the Expressway today, and boy does it look gorgeous 😍. Those chunky tyres and black wheels give it a bossy stance. I showed him all the reviews on this thread and he was convinced enough about getting one.

Now, about the selection process, here are some points -
1. The Petrol AT RWD will do, but Dad wants a Diesel AT. We already have an XUV700 Petrol AT with 15k on the odo, so the Thar won't be used as much. Is it still worth getting the Diesel AT? 4X4 is not a major requirement.
2. There will be max 2 people in the Thar at a time, so we're not considering the 5-door for now. My father has plans to convert the rear seat into something else in the future. Still, is the 5-door worth waiting?
3. As of now, my mother doesn't drive and I'm still 6 months away from turning 18, so the primary user will be my father. The Thar will be used for long drives around Pune and the XUV700 will be used for regular duties. This is the first time we'll be having 2 cars in our garage. Can someone give me a heads-up as in how is it to run and maintain?
4. I'll be moving to Manipal, KA for college by the end of this month and my parents may frequently visit me once or twice in a month. We just had a thought that we can buy the Thar in KA, and keep shuttling between MH and KA for various purposes. How viable is this idea?
5. How's the Soft Top to use in city conditions? I heard that water may seep in during rains and it makes some noises at high speeds. My mom fancies one.
6. Can anyone suggest some mods to be done to the interior? Like seats, floor mats etc.

Overall, this was a sudden thought which has turned serious. It would be great to hear from all about the ownership experience in total.

Cheers
Siddharth
SID7115 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 19:07   #4584
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, Have you finalised the Thar. I am also based in Delhi NCR and had finalized RWD Petrol AT for booking and then realised that 7km/lt average with my run of daily 30 Kms will burn a hole of 60K extra per year than diesel usage. So, i am exploring Diesel LX HT AT for city driving.
I am still undecided between Diesel AT or MT for Delhi NCR usage as limited is 10 years.
I booked Petrol CT AT. For me being in NCR and relatively low running (10K max) I feel petrol is a no-brainer. My current car SX4 petrol is equally bad in fuel efficiency so this wasn't really huge factor for me.
Resale value of diesel variant in NCR is going to be pretty bad so do consider that as well.

For me at 100 per litre assuming efficiency of 8, I will spend 1.25L on petrol vs say 84K on diesel (assuming 12 km/ ltr on diesel). Comes down to 5-6L in 15 year. Considering cost of insurance and servicing and initial cost of car I guess not much difference compared to 5 yrs of extra life we get in addition to extra horses of petrol variation.

Everyone has their unique perspective though so whatever makes you happy I'll root for you.

Personally I neither needed 4x4 nor Thar itself, but considering it a gift from I to myself for years of pain and hardwork lol Why not get a big boy toy for self once in a lifetime.
sandeeprawat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2023, 20:09   #4585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID7115 View Post
5. How's the Soft Top to use in city conditions? I heard that water may seep in during rains and it makes some noises at high speeds. My mom fancies one.
I don’t know how this urban legend about ‘Thar’s softop leaks water in rains’ has come into being! Not even a single member in this forum has ever reported anything remotely like that. On the contrary, many Thars in the first batches of hardtop version were prone to water leakage issue and even then there were no cases of leaking softops being reported.

So, rest be assured- Thar’s softop doesn't leak and you can buy one if that’s a concern holding you back. I use one as my only car and have driven thousands of kilometres in hard rains and 18,000 km down the line, have never experienced water leaks.

Fun fact (Slight OT)- Twice this thing has happened with me, but in a more recent instance, one day Hyderabad rain gods decided to rain down in the presence of sun, unsuspecting myself was merrily enjoying the top down ride when it started pouring cats and dogs. Thar’s interior got fully drenched and I was scared that electronics and seat covers will get messed up. Once the car dried, to my amazement nothing happened to either electronics or any interior part and everything functions as intended. Proving Mahindra really meant when they advertised that Thar’s interior is water resistant including the infotainment! Quite impressed!
AMG1 is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 00:20   #4586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeeprawat View Post
I booked Petrol CT AT. For me being in NCR and relatively low running (10K max) I feel petrol is a no-brainer. My current car SX4 petrol is equally bad in fuel efficiency so this wasn't really huge factor for me.
Resale value of diesel variant in NCR is going to be pretty bad so do consider that as well.

For me at 100 per litre assuming efficiency of 8, I will spend 1.25L on petrol vs say 84K on diesel (assuming 12 km/ ltr on diesel). Comes down to 5-6L in 15 year. Considering cost of insurance and servicing and initial cost of car I guess not much difference compared to 5 yrs of extra life we get in addition to extra horses of petrol variation.

Everyone has their unique perspective though so whatever makes you happy I'll root for you.

Personally I neither needed 4x4 nor Thar itself, but considering it a gift from I to myself for years of pain and hardwork lol Why not get a big boy toy for self once in a lifetime.
Considering my low daily run, i too have booked Petrol RWD AT, as i don't need 4x4 but AT was something which i wanted considering Delhi NCR traffic. There is huge price difference between RWD and 4x4 prices, so thought to save some money. Frankly speaking, i built the savings calculator to skew my decision on Petrol AT Thar
I also wanted to check if I book from two different dealers, Is it possible to get delivery early from either one of them. I am not able to wait for 8-10 weeks delivery timelines. Will the mahindra dealer management system allow for booking - 2 cars with same color and config from different dealers.

I am also in same boat - thought to gift myself car which i want to and not think about family creature comforts, they will anyways have another car with all those bells and whistles.

Responding to one of your queries - insurance amount quoted is very high, you can get quote from policybazaar for new car and negotiate. Not advised to buy from Policybazaar as they have some minor prints like cashless only at few locations etc. So, just use it to negotiate prices but buy from mahindra.

Last edited by jimmzbond : 13th July 2023 at 00:35. Reason: insurance details
jimmzbond is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 00:30   #4587
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID7115 View Post

1. The Petrol AT RWD will do, but Dad wants a Diesel AT. We already have an XUV700 Petrol AT with 15k on the odo, so the Thar won't be used as much. Is it still worth getting the Diesel AT? 4X4 is not a major requirement.

4. I'll be moving to Manipal, KA for college by the end of this month and my parents may frequently visit me once or twice in a month. We just had a thought that we can buy the Thar in KA, and keep shuttling between MH and KA for various purposes. How viable is this idea?

I am not an expert, but my 2 cents -
1. AT is available in Petrol and Diesel, but in Petrol AT is also available in RWD. There is significant price difference between Petrol RWD AT and Petrol/diesel 4x4 AT. So, if you don't have run of about 1000-1200 Kms per month or less, petrol may be better option. If 4x4 gear is important, then its a no-brainer, pick petrol or diesel. Not much price difference between the two.
4. I think you can shuffle, but depends on traffic enforcement, if you drive MH registered in KA for long, they may challan or ask you to pay road tax. May be you can opt for BH registration to avoid hassle.
jimmzbond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2023, 19:04   #4588
BHPian

Quote:
I am not an expert, but my 2 cents -
1. AT is available in Petrol and Diesel, but in Petrol AT is also available in RWD. There is significant price difference between Petrol RWD AT and Petrol/diesel 4x4 AT. So, if you don't have run of about 1000-1200 Kms per month or less, petrol may be better option. If 4x4 gear is important, then its a no-brainer, pick petrol or diesel. Not much price difference between the two.
4. I think you can shuffle, but depends on traffic enforcement, if you drive MH registered in KA for long, they may challan or ask you to pay road tax. May be you can opt for BH registration to avoid hassle.
Hi
1. Regarding this point, I did a few more discussions. My father clearly said no petrol and as Diesel RWD doesn't have AT, it's the D AT 4X4 for now.
4. Regarding BH series, neither my father nor mother qualify for any requirement for BH series. Please shed some light about this if possible.

Waiting period for Napoli Black on all 4X4 variants is 2 months, rest everything is at least 6 months to 1 year.
Old 18th July 2023, 19:25   #4589
BHPian

It's been 13 days since I have had recieved my Thar Petrol AT RWD & to say that I am in love with it is an absolute understatement. I have been finding excuses and reasons to take it out for spin whenever possible.

Although with non stop rains in Pune I have also been constantly fretting over keeping it clean as well.

Also since this is the first and only Thar in our society it has been attracting a lot of attention from elders and Young alike. Many people approached me and expressed their admiration and appreciation for the vehicle.

I am pleasently surprised how smooth and silent the petrol engine is. I didn't track the mileage yet and to be honest I have no expectations of getting a good mileage figure nor did I buy Thar to be a mileage machine.

I have planned a trip Pune to Indore next month and I am looking forward to travel in Thar.

I plan on upgrading the headlight bulbs but I want to keep them within 4300-5000 Kelvin to get a warm yellow colour as I don't find white led usesful in heavy rains and fogs. I would like to keep the stock look intact as long as possible barring the grill which is soon to be updated.

Attaching a pic I took while on a chai break from office work.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230706_16160002.jpeg  

Last edited by BleueNinja : 18th July 2023 at 19:28.
BleueNinja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 18th July 2023, 22:12   #4590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleueNinja View Post

I plan on upgrading the headlight bulbs but I want to keep them within 4300-5000 Kelvin to get a warm yellow colour as I don't find white led usesful in heavy rains and fogs. I would like to keep the stock look intact as long as possible barring the grill which is soon to be updated.
Hello, Wishing you many more happy miles and memories with this amazing jeep. Since you plan to keep your stock headlights intact with the halogens, here is my advice which is doing great for me till date.

Get your relay changed to 100/90W from Hella or Philips. Change your bulbs to OSRAM RALLEY ALLSEASON. This will be an amazing upgrade for those who want to keep the authenticity of the original headlights, the light is a bit yellowish which will perform brilliantly especially in foggy and rainy seasons. Try this, you will thank me later.

Meanwhile, I am upgrading from this current set up to Truck-lite LEDs in few weeks, I am just trying to figure out time to do it DIY..

Highway Patrol
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1531.jpeg  

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 18th July 2023 at 22:13.
highwaypatrol is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks