Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2023, 16:05   #4636

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

6 months and 6,000 kms with the RWD. It has its share of drawbacks,but happy to have one.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-imm66.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-imm67.jpg  

old_miles is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 00:13   #4637
BHPian

I have booked Thar Petrol AT HT RWD white about 3 weeks back, but i got email from my dealership customer care that expected delivery date is Jan 25 (as notified by M&M HQ). Though, when i speak with my SA, he confirms its 8-10 weeks only. He says its normal for Mahindra to share longer delivery timelines. I am not sure whom to trust. Please suggest if someone if aware of exact delivery timelines for Thar petrol 4x2 AT.
Is there way to check online the exact expected delivery timelines. I am not able to track online on Mahindra website - tracking feature is in maintenance for many weeks now.
Old 31st July 2023, 08:24   #4638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmzbond View Post
I have booked Thar Petrol AT HT RWD white about 3 weeks back

Please suggest if someone if aware of exact delivery timelines for Thar petrol 4x2 AT.
Visit the Thar RWD review thread.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...wd-review.html (Mahindra Thar 1.5L RWD Review)

You will find 4x2 related information in that thread.

As per what I have been reading, 4x2 Thar diesel has a very long waiting time (1 year or more) but petrol 4x2 is available in around a month or two.
PaddleShifter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 12:04   #4639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Was out for an early breakfast with family @ Kuckeliku Breakfast House (highly recommended for their quality of food & coffee), and bumped into Dippy in his gleaming new Thar. He was visiting a Ferrari owner who also bought a Thar!

White colour looks sexy! Dippy has already installed like 5 - 10 mods & accessories on his Jeep . The Thar is built to be personalised.
Nice bumping into you and catching up on Sunday. Did the mods and additions immediately the next day after delivery. I think its best that way before I got down to driving it daily. Have done a mix of aesthetic and functional stuff. Will detail them out in a separate thread. Till then a pic:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ldexportb8fa31a207302023.jpg

Last edited by libranof1987 : 31st July 2023 at 12:12. Reason: Broken quote tag
Dippy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 18:35   #4640
Distinguished - BHPian

Mahindra to unveil Thar EV concept on August 15th.

The Thar concept will showcase the future design direction of the iconic off-roader and is also expected to have an electric drivetrain.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230731045303_mahindra-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 31st July 2023 at 18:50.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 19:29   #4641
BHPian

Hi guys,

TD the Thar HT D AT two times in the past 10 days and must say I'm impressed with the low end grunt. The torque comes in way early. I have a stare 1 plus aspire diesel. But the torque range in that starts war early and must say it makes you grin every time you floor it. Plus the whole feel of the car, commanding road presence and brute character is class apart.

Confused between getting one and keeping the aspire or replacing the aspire with Slavia 1.5 MT.

Heart says Thar, but head says slavia for practical purposes. I recently got the aspire wolfed with stage 1 plus and it's very addictive. It pulls like a maniac from 1500 rpm. Thoroughly enjoying this these days.

Recent Ford shut their warehouse in Mumbai and shifted their warehouses to part Sanand and part Chennai. Made me wait for a part related to starter and fuse box for more than 10 days and I'm getting apprehensive for the future. Though their Hassel free and low cost service has kept me happy for the last 4.5 years. Never paid above 6k for any service apart from brake pads and other things.

Need help in deciding if I should pick a Thar and keep Aspire as the daily drive as post Apr 2024 I can extend the warranty by two more years only i.e. 5 plus 2 years.

1) How is the water leakage insulation in the 2023 batch of thars in the Hard Tops? Mumbai experienced the wettest Jul this year? In such an event don't want water leakage issues. If there is still one, is the service centre able to seal it and fix the issue?

2) We plan to do take it for short as well as long road trips(once a year) with me, my wife and my furry kid. Will the thar be sufficient for us with our luggage?

3) What is the better option? The manual or the automatic? Is the auto justified with the 1.75 l premium?

4) Can the back seat be removed completely for the long road trips, so that my furry kid can have a comfortable space on a mattress behind?

5) Has anyone hear about any sort of discounts being offered as of now with the unveiling of the thar five door just a fortnight away?

6)Any dpf related issues bothering the thar owners?

7) How has the service experience been. Has there been any improvement in this front as compared to the past few years?

And lastly if anyone can put throw some light and guidance on as to if I should get the Thar and keep the aspire for next 3-4 years (which my heart wants) or should I replace the aspire with Slavia( no doubt about the ride and handling package here. It's simply amazing)

Any advice and help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 31st July 2023, 20:11   #4642
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlokSharma View Post
Hi guys,

TD the Thar HT D AT two times in the past 10 days and must say I'm impressed with the low end grunt. The torque comes in way early. I have a stare 1 plus aspire diesel. But the torque range in that starts war early and must say it makes you grin every time you floor it.

*Snip*

And lastly if anyone can put throw some light and guidance on as to if I should get the Thar and keep the aspire for next 3-4 years (which my heart wants) or should I replace the aspire with Slavia( no doubt about the ride and handling package here. It's simply amazing)

Any advice and help would be highly appreciated.

Thank you.
Let someone else enjoy the Ford given the state of after sales situation now, its only going to get worse.

If you liked the mHawk, you must try the mStallion AT - goes like the wind.

After driving around in the Thar, you should then decide what should be the ideal family car, maybe you will have a different perspective.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 20:39   #4643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Let someone else enjoy the Ford given the state of after sales situation now, its only going to get worse.

If you liked the mHawk, you must try the mStallion AT - goes like the wind.

After driving around in the Thar, you should then decide what should be the ideal family car, maybe you will have a different perspective.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I can't use the Thar as the primary car. It has to be the secondary one. Plus the diesel in this state of tune is cheaper on the pocket and what I like. Hence the question. Or else would have to get the practical Slavia home.

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2023 at 00:38. Reason: Typos
AlokSharma is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st August 2023, 18:01   #4644
Team-BHP Support

Rajiv drops in a query via this Team-BHP share page.

Quote:
I own a Mahindra Thar automatic Diesel 4x4 HT. It has covered over 3,000 km. I was driving on the expressway with cruise control engaged at 120 km/h. After driving for 500 km, I saw a warning in the instrument cluster saying "DPF clogged ".

As usual, I contacted the dealer. He advised me to check if there is an option to regen. I checked it was not there. He suggested I drive 70 km to a nearby service station as there was no problem in driving the vehicle. So, I followed the instructions. After 30 km, I felt the speed drop suddenly. At the same time, I informed the dealer, who told me to drive the car at 60 km/h for 30 minutes and the problem would be solved.

But after all this, I found that the Thar couldn't even go beyond 40 km/hr and the worst thing was that it was 9 pm and there was nothing in a 70 km circumference on the expressway. After 70 km we could see Agra, but the Thar’s condition was not good as speed was not increasing. Now, the dealer was also unable to help. I called the 24x7 helpline. They arranged a technician online, but it was of no use. Then I requested towing as it was in the policy.

I kept driving towards Agra. The towing person was asking for my location. By the time he reached me, I touched Agra doing speeds of 20 - 40 km/h.

I stayed at a hotel as it was night. In the morning went to the service station at Agra and described the problem. They started troubleshooting, checked and did regen. After this, they tested again and found out that there was some problem in the system. The total soot collection was increasing as per the technician which could lead to the same problem again. There was another problem showing on the computer.

Here is a picture of the computer screen: "HFM SENSOR SIGNAL PLAUSIBILITY- LOW SENSITIVITY DRIFT- ERROR STATUS- PENDING "
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230731wa0017.jpg

Quote:
As per the service person, they need to remove this pending status. For that, they started diagnosis with all the sensors and removed the errors one by one. They also replaced one sensor with one from a new Thar, but the problem still remained.

Now they told me that they need to contact the Manufacturer / OEM. I told them to do whatever was required. They got advice from the manufacturer to check the EGR.
They replaced the EGR with one from a new test drive Scorpio N as both vehicles have the same engine. After this, they tested and found that the vehicle was good and not generating excess soot.

I drove back and completed my trip in a thrilling manner with extra pressure on myself.

Till now there has been no problem, but I am surprised how it happened. Can anybody explain what was wrong?

Last edited by Aditya : 1st August 2023 at 18:11.
Aditya is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 18:25   #4645
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Till now there has been no problem, but I am surprised how it happened. Can anybody explain what was wrong?
I think it was just a faulty exhaust gas recirculation unit?? These BS6 diesel engines are becoming really a pain to live with, wonder why none of the manufacturers are able to crack the issue proper?!
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 11:07   #4646
BHPian

Hi,

It is always disappointing when you get unexpected part failure in a fairly new vehicle. In my experience with Mahindra customer care, while a tad slow, they generally respond. My suggestion is to find the contact of a Mahindra Customer care head looking after your region and engage with him.

It is also likely that unfortunately despite the so called QA checks at the Mahindra plant before dispatch, your Thar may have gone unnoticed and you may have a lemon on your hands!. In case other issues keep cropping up which are not covered under warranty, cut your losses and get rid of it. Harsh it is i know, but sometimes you have to bite the bullet and make hard choices.

Good luck!
petrogeek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 14:33   #4647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyakash View Post
This modification only has a fold function. It looks like a well engineered solution which is definitely much easier to operate than Bimbra's unscrew + support rods mechanism.

Bimbra has a slide function which is useful to place small suitcases behind the seat, while having rear passengers.

------

I'm still looking for a solution to the Bimbra slider mechanism which is twisting and causing noise.
Old 3rd August 2023, 11:48   #4648
Senior - BHPian

Anyone knows how to install the Bimbra auto hood opener on the Thar. Pls help. I think I am making a mess of it.
Old 4th August 2023, 09:45   #4649

Hi All. Am a newbie to the forum and had bought my Thar in Sept 2021 AFTER reading the review here. So, First and foremost, I need to thank Team-Bhp and Aditya for the same.

It is my daily driver and till date, I have driven around 16000+ kms on the Thar -- Petrol, 4WD, Hardtop, Automatic (supposedly the top end model in petrol). It had cost me around Rs. 17.7 L. The main reason why I went for a petrol is that my daily commute is less than 10 kms and the whole day, there are frequent start-stop within very small distance. Before it left the dealer's showroom, I got the following fitted:

1) Halogen headlights
2) LED Fog lamps.
3) Front and rear hand supports
4) Rear view camera (integrated to the MMI)
5) Floor mats (of course. Part of every new car any dealer sells in India)

I felt that these are the very basics needed. Later on, I got the dummy foot rest also fitted along with ceramic coating which I did within 15 days of getting the car. I also fitted the Pipercross typhoon air filter which I had with me from my previous car (Honda Civic, 2008 edition which I sold after 1.6 L kms and 14 years).

Subsequently, after the first rain of 2022 in July, the hardtop roof started leaking. Initially the dealer said that the roof would need to be replaced, but later on, basis Mahindra engineers' diagnosis, they refit the top with proper sealant and returned it back. Took around 10 days, but it worked and there is no further leakage till date.

I had to replace one tyre as I climbed one wheel at a corroded I-beam while backing up.
2 weeks back, while I was going with my son to get the petrol tank filled up, suddenly I saw smoke coming out of the bonnet. Obviously, I do not keep an eye on the temperature graph (as a hindsight, now I always do). I parked the car on the side and called up the Mahindra Helpline. Although the people at the other end were very polite and helpful, I was unable to get the towing help needed and arranged it myself. The car went to the dealer and was returned again after around 10 days -- out of which 2 days were lost due to it being Saturday. First it was stated that the radiator fan is not working and would need to be changed.

They ordered the fan on Tuesday and it arrived on Saturday. On Monday, I was informed that the new fan also did not work and it seems to be some ECU problem. On Wednesday I was informed that there is no ECU problem but some sensor problem. On Thursday evening, I was informed that there is no sensor problem but one wire was getting earth and thus, the sensor was not giving feedback to the ECU and thus the fan was not starting.

One small observation that I recollected as that the powerful AC did not cool as only the blower was starting 2 days prior to the breakdown. This should have been a warning, but I thought that maybe the filter is clogged or maybe the AC Gas pressure is less. I never suspected radiator fan issue. The distance from my home to my office is hardly 2-5 kms and we have a speed limit of 30 kmph in most of the road and thus, the car was not getting heated up sufficiently.

At 10,000 kms after the service, I put in Liqui-Moly also. All said and done, everything that was written in the review is perfect. I would like to add a few non essential points that other readers may find it useful.

1) The steering is hard -- quite a bit of it. If you go off-roading or where there are high number of turns on low speeds, your hands will ache.

2) The MMI is slow to boot up. This is true in XUV 700 also. 2 USB plugs are provided in the front. One is only for charging while with the other, you can connect your phone and use Carplay or Android Auto. Back benchers have nothing.

3) Street presence is awesome -- it really turns heads.

4) Due to low speeds and less distance travelling, I get an average of around 7.5 km/liter. But even otherwise, I do not think the petrol, 2.0 liters turbo-charged Mahindra will give more than 10-12 kmpl -- that too under pristine conditions and excellent drivers.

5) In the Automatic cars, as soon as you engage the "D" drive mode, the car literally jumps to reach around 10kmph. So you need to be very carful with bumper-to-bumper traffic conditions.

6) There is a noticeable "bump" when you move the lever from drive mode to parking mode. I don't know if it is good or bad.

7) The MMI graphics look a bit dated to me.

8) The information dashboard which shows the tire pressure -- the pressure readings are not the same as what we see at the filling station. So if you fill up at 30 psi with tire measurement done by outside and compare it with what is seen in the MMI, you will find a large difference. So when you fill up the tire pressures, do fill up basis the MMI.

9) The ride is bumpy. Since the shockers are tuned hard, you feel every small bump, but when you go on big potholes, it is easy breezy for this car.

10) I have touched three-digit speed on this car, but believe me, it was not a comfortable feeling because of the tall boy design. The wind factor is huge. At 80 kmph, it is comparatively calm and you get the best mileage.

11) When you engage the cruise control, the car jumps and wants to reach the target speed asap. Irrespective, I do find cruise control a useful feature when you go on a long run. Surprisingly, cruise control is missing in XUV400, Mahindra's electric car.

Overall, Thar is not a daily driver. It is a fun car. Average is bad and will hit your pocket. If you frequently travel on bad roads, this car will laugh at the opposition and gleefully take you in tire deep mud or 500mm of water column on the road.

Mod Note: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices that put yourself and other road users at risk. Please do NOT post about illegally high speeds on public roads.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Axe77 : 6th August 2023 at 18:04. Reason: para space added for better reading
NajSaf is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 4th August 2023, 17:17   #4650
BHPian

I got this M&M official accessory front armrest from their service center today. Its made by Mahindra, pretty neat I must say. Its a direct bolt-on to the existing cup holder. I never knew they had an official accessory like this available.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1631.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_1630.jpeg  

highwaypatrol is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks