Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2022, 15:56   #3826
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
My sexy red Jeep reaches the showroom
Looks ravishing! Congratulations - wishing you and family a safe & exciting ownership ahead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan.xj View Post
I have noticed that the engine temperature climbs up if the speed goes between 100-120 kmph.
Ditto with my Thar (P AT HT) as well. I guess it is a trait of the mStallion. I was a little anxious when I witnessed this for the first time but since, as you said, there was no other perceptible issue, I stopped worrying about it.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 16:39   #3827
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
My sexy red Jeep reaches the showroom . Sleepless nights begin!
Congratulations, GTO! The car looks deadly, wish you many happy miles!
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2022, 18:28   #3828
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Finally!!! When is the D(elivery)-Day?

And congratulations
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 18:00   #3829
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Rear seat mod in my Thar.
...Doggo is also happy.
Very thoughtful. you may want to find a place to anchor the Dog when in Motion. I've had a terrible accident in my car with my Dog in it. he is alive only because of a Seatbelt Anchor I tethered him to.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 18:12   #3830
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
These are Lenso MX Ebola rims & becoming very popular:
OT but I would be curious why they did not consider HIV to be a model name, or Malaria perhaps.

Drive on,
Shibu
shibujp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th December 2022, 23:04   #3831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Has anyone been able to successfully remove that blue protective layers from MRF Wanderers tyres on Thar?
Vim liquid and a scrubber is all you need.

PS: Tap on the image to view a higher resolution picture.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220925_115946__01.jpg  

Last edited by soumobakshi : 8th December 2022 at 23:08.
soumobakshi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 03:02   #3832

Massive congratulations! @GTO.

Quote:

Ever since you broke the news about your purchase, many of us were holding our breaths for you to bring it home. Hoping you’ll be able to enjoy it on the roads real soon. All the best!

Look forward to seeing and reading about your \></ Thar experience and may this set you off for posting innumerable stories. New adventures beckon..

It’s so full of character yet lacks in so many key areas (the reason why I couldn’t add one to my garage just yet ).

Last edited by moralfibre : 9th December 2022 at 03:10. Reason: Fixing quote tag.
Sen_auto_sation is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 06:46   #3833
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Now there is another headache - a cracked windscreen.
The other thing that has happened yesterday is that my Windshield has developed a crack. This happened near the Bannerghatta road exit on the NICE road last evening. It is on the driver side and will definitely spread further.

I am wondering what to do when replacing it - I will sadly lose my 3M CR70 anti glare film which is stuck inside the windshield. But I am really more concerned about that Mandatory Motor Vehicle Department sticker which will also be lost with the replacement of the windshield.

What will I need to do for that?

See pics attached for this aspect too.

Quoting myself to give an update on the windshield.

I sent off the Thar to Jakkur Sireesh auto based on Vinay of Mahindra Adventures’ advice. We decided we will claim insurance for the cracked windscreen. Upon observing closely there indeed is a stone hit at the very bottom of the glass. This windshield is pretty upright and not ‘raked’, the AC was on in the vehicle, all windows were closed and therefore the cabin air pressure would have been higher than the outside, hence the small stone hit must have just hit a fault line and cracked the glass.
When I looked at the NCB, I may have received Rs 4500 benefit. Considering the likely cost of Rs 7000-8000 for the windshield replacement and labour, I decided on claiming insurance.
Because of the fact that I know Vinay, I took it casually.
But the fact is that the Insurance procedure is not a good one.
1. We need to fill the form. And give details of the damage. That’s fine.
2. We need to print and send the form along with the RC card print and driving license print. That’s fine.
3. Irritatingly, even prior to the work getting started, we have to sign the release form, which says we are satisfied at the utmost levels with the service levels and therefore please pay out the money to the service agency. This is a foolish procedure and I am not happy with it at all. But as I said, since I know Vinay, I took it easy.
4. Then comes the actual repair invoice - I can’t understand why this shows up as Panel Repair, when it was a glass windshield crack replacement. Why should the work be described as Denting. These are in my book, very stupid things at the dealer end and creates the incorrect impression that the car was involved in some kind of panel damaging event, which is absolutely not true! Anyway this is what the bill says and the work shows up immediately on the App as well, so the records are clear. I have however taken copies of all the insurance claim records and everything, in order to prove if required that this was a simple stone chip.
5. Another thing. The invoice itself came to Rs 8141. Of this owing to the Compulsory deductions, I had to pay Rs 2550/-. Now I wonder. The vehicle is fully insured comprehensively including all accessories. I have bumper to bumper and extended warranty and zero depreciation and return to invoice and all the rest of it. Glass also doesn’t depreciate at all as per my knowledge. This is why I’m wondering why these insurance companies make us undergo this compulsory deduction. Also,I wonder why the invoice always comes out like it is ‘inflated’ like these hospital invoices also appear to be, when they are claiming from the medical insurance policies.
6. Lastly, the work done appears to be all good. No complaints on that. The old windscreen is also in my vehicle and I will sit today and peel off that HSRP sticker and keep it in the vehicle records. I have got a new Fastag so that’s not a worry. I plan to go to 3M and put that clear anti glare anti UV CR70 film in front, to avoid headlamp glare and UV related damage. I will get the 3M blokes to re mount the camera and all the other club stickers and all which are usually on the windshield.

Anyway, here are the screenshots pertaining to this information. Let it sit here as a record for others to refer to, if they ever need to do so.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-6fba0730743d4de79fa7592f51f9b53b.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e63844c1208845f9acd52128c8fbcdea.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ab1ebed458f049d6bb81b5035b50ee3e.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1030687c5f244128843919bf11ac43df.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 09:35   #3834
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I plan to go to 3M and put that clear anti glare anti UV CR70 film in front, to avoid headlamp glare and UV related damage.
Windshield will chip if it's somewhere towards the middle and crack if it's around the edge where the stone makes contact , this is unavoidable but keeping distance from the vehicle in front can help.

Nowadays they are removing just the top layer of the road, this leaves a lot of debris on the road which is perfect recipe for such incidents, those who have German cars will eventually learn how to keep distance from other vehicles on the highway.

Both my vehicles have plenty of stone chips on the windshield & the entire front clip, yet to have one hit the edge of the windshield so it hasn't cracked yet.

I suggest not to put any film on the windshield, it will hamper visibility there is no getting around the physics of it. Right now the windshield is new and clean, you will not encounter any glare, just remember to keep it clean using glass cleaner.
Old 9th December 2022, 10:45   #3835
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Windshield will chip if it's somewhere towards the middle and crack if it's around the edge where the stone makes contact , this is unavoidable but keeping distance from the vehicle in front can

I suggest not to put any film on the windshield, it will hamper visibility there is no getting around the physics of it. Right now the windshield is new and clean, you will not encounter any glare, just remember to keep it clean using glass cleaner.
In my case it was a lorry overtaking me that set a very small stone flying sideways which hit the edge. I heard a sound. Didnt pay much attention. Then realised that the crack had appeared. (See pics for point of impact. Pics are with the glass upside down. Point of impact was the right hand side lower edge of the glass.) And the coincidence was that exactly at that moment my friend and I were discussing the same topic he was telling me he had encountered this once in his car. So my windshield glass is now trashed.

In ref the CR70 transparent film from 3M. It is stuck on inside the glass and costs 9800/- including taxes. It is necessary in a big rectangular glasshouse of a windshield like in the Thar.

I have found that this film helps a great deal in cutting out UV radiation completely along with the glare when on the highways and definitely in reducing headlamp high beam dazzle in the city and on highways.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-d457451194b448f68d9fcb18d38cd6ad.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ad8639de83a34e04a917a682508384f4.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-513f042c5eb04dd5bcc3dd8c9a064f95.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 11:03   #3836
BANNED

Shock update: sadly the new glass these chaps have fixed has a nice scratch on the passenger side as can be seen.
Now on to Singasandra Sireesh to change it again. Luckily Vinay is able to push them and have it done FOC.
Thankfully the 3M chaps found this before installing the CR70 film.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4b8955a8605e4ec19fa67dc7f41ff007.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0ddcacf431b44be789cc098f024043c5.jpeg  

Old 9th December 2022, 11:25   #3837
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
In ref the CR70 transparent film from 3M. It is stuck on inside the glass and costs 9800/- including taxes. It is necessary in a big rectangular glasshouse of a windshield like in the Thar.

I have found that this film helps a great deal in cutting out UV radiation completely along with the glare when on the highways and definitely in reducing headlamp high beam dazzle in the city and on highways.
You may now have a chance to save your 9800 Rs. Not that its a big deal in the large scheme of things - like owning a Jeep.

Snip from AIS website. Lamisafe LT seems like a pretty good glass on its own, may not need another film over it that costs more than the glass itself - think about it.

Name:  lamisafe.PNG
Views: 1021
Size:  18.7 KB
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2022, 12:17   #3838
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
You may now have a chance to save your 9800 Rs. Not that its a big deal in the large scheme of things - like owning a Jeep.

L

Attachment 2388163
Thanks! You're probably right. I ll sit on this decision for a while. Saved by a scratch you might say!
Ive left the vehicle at the Singasandra workshop and they say it will be ready tomorrow post lunch. They have been good to me from the beginning.
So I will leave it to their good offices and hope that tomorrow the vehicle will be back to tip top condition.
Old 9th December 2022, 19:21   #3839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. Another thing. The invoice itself came to Rs 8141.
I had a crack similar to what you got, and had my windshield repaired without claiming insurance, because didn't think it is worthwhile for the projected bill amount -

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20221209_191750.jpg

While the material and labor seems fine, the cost of the sealant is double what I was billed.

I've driven around in heavy rains after this, and it's good to go!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 14:30   #3840
BHPian

To all those who are interested got this WhatsApp from my local Mahindra Dealer today:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-28c5ba2492754b8eb9ef03ef5ddb32e8.jpeg  

jimmyjagga is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed