Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2023, 14:48   #3976
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
buy the other type of the rooftop along with it or later if you feel the need.
keep the softtop installed and other times keep the
hardtop installed, thats it. Such a flexible vehicle it is.
No. Not as simple as that.
1.The Hardtop is expensive to buy separately and takes up a lot of space when removed. So it is not easy to store unless you have a proper garage/ outhouse. Logically if you have garaging available, then you can simply buy the CT and garage the vehicle when not in use.
2.Opening and closing the convertible top is not very difficult unless the top is absolutely caked with trail dust or similar. This is NOT the same as dismantling the Convertible top, which is a job for the workshop.
3. Also, completely dismantling the Hard top too, cannot be done by an individual. The vehicle has to go back to the dealer workshop for that to be done. It is an incredibly fiddly job and there are risks of leaks and increased wind noise and the cost of both down-time and labour too, when removing and refitting.
Frankly I also badly wanted the convertible right from the start, but I just decided against it because of its relative impracticality in our Indian operating conditions.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th January 2023 at 14:51.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 16:51   #3977
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
2.Opening and closing the convertible top is not very difficult unless the top is absolutely caked with trail dust or similar. This is NOT the same as dismantling the Convertible top, which is a job for the workshop.
Not sure if you meant the Hard Top here as the complete dismantling of the Convertible Top is very easy as you just have to pull out 2 pins on either side to completely dismantle the CT. It's as easy as that.

Infact opening the CT is actually more work and once it is open, completely dismantling it is child's play actually. Storing it is also much easier than storing a Hard Top.
Old 18th January 2023, 17:00   #3978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Can owners of a convertible top throw some light on how difficult or easy is it to live with a Convertible top?
Depends entirely on your use case. Leaving all paraphernalia around open-top driving, wind-in-your-hair, under-the-stars etc. aside, go for a HT if you intend to indulge in frequent highway trips - as simple as that. I own a CT and it is super fun, not only when the top is down but even when it is up, it gives that "jeep vibe" with all the flapping etc. which is not present in a hard-top. Also, personally I love the looks of a CT over HT. That said, my use case was/is crystal clear - it is a fun car for me, to be driven within a radius of 200-300 km from my base, nothing beyond. That said, there are people who do cross-country drives in a CT as well, but I am not one of them, at least not yet The hard-top is more "touring-friendly" if you will, as it comes with added safety for your luggage as well as better protection against the elements. Hope this helps!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
But why are you worrying so much, just get the Thar with either of the roof option and buy the other type of the rooftop along with it or later if you feel the need.
You cannot switch between HT and CT at home. It has to be done at a workshop.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 23:08   #3979
BHPian

Am I the only one who's found the lack of a proper dead pedal on the MT's to be an absolute deal breaker on this car?
Old 19th January 2023, 06:17   #3980
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp1 View Post
Am I the only one who's found the lack of a proper dead pedal on the MT's to be an absolute deal breaker on this car?
For Tall persons with long legs, a dead pedal in the new Thar is a hindrance and not a help. The already cramped footwell gets further cramped on the left side.
As a tall person I am happier that this dead pedal can be added on as an after market accessory for those who require it. There are plenty of options available for this.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b3bd96ff692b4e02a0c4f82ce4d7f447.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 09:32   #3981
BHPian

Quote:
For Tall persons with long legs, a dead pedal in the new Thar is a hindrance and not a help. The already cramped footwell gets further cramped on the left side.
As a tall person I am happier that this dead pedal can be added on as an after market accessory for those who require it. There are plenty of options available for this.
I was only pointing out the MT situation, not having space in the foot-well makes zero sense to me
Old 19th January 2023, 12:15   #3982
BANNED

I signed on to this Open AI.
And asked ChatGPT Ai to make a poem on the All New Mahindra Thar.
Look at the result!
Its amazing!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-3b3dc029747242abac824963cd21b2c5.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 19th January 2023 at 12:17.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th January 2023, 19:11   #3983
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Why would you need a dead pedal on a MT?. Am I missing something here?
Old 19th January 2023, 19:42   #3984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
Why would you need a dead pedal on a MT?. Am I missing something here?
Cause I have wide feet and funnily dead pedal is one of my major deal breakers along with any iteration of AT
Old 19th January 2023, 21:02   #3985
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Cause I have wide feet and funnily dead pedal is one of my major deal breakers along with any iteration of AT
I can understand from your point of view, but I have never heard of any MT cars with a factory fitted dead pedal as there would be no place to fit those.

In fact many of the ATs too don't come with a factory fitted dead pedals in India like the Thar and as far as I know, lack of dead pedals is hardly a deal breaker at least here in India.
Old 19th January 2023, 21:42   #3986
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
I can understand from your point of view, but I have never heard of any MT cars with a factory fitted dead pedal as there would be no place to fit those.

In fact many of the ATs too don't come with a factory fitted dead pedals in India like the Thar and as far as I know, lack of dead pedals is hardly a deal breaker at least here in India.
I say dead pedal, what I mean is enough open space to the left of the clutch where my foot movement won't catch on the clutch pedal. I just prefer an open footwell area where I have freedom of movement as I'm heavy and kinda tall.

Both my S-Cross and XL6 have deal pedals BTW.
Old 20th January 2023, 09:17   #3987
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I signed on to this Open AI.
And asked ChatGPT Ai to make a poem on the All New Mahindra Thar.
Look at the result!
Its amazing!
What is interesting is, it makes a different poem each time you ask it. I asked the same question and got the below poem - Seems even better! Looks like it is learning constantly from feedback.

My SUV, the Mahindra Thar, a sight to see,
With its rugged exterior, wild and free.
Through rocky terrain and dirt paths, it roams,
With power and precision, it calls the roads its home.

With four-wheel drive, it conquers all,
On and off-road, it stands tall.
With a sturdy frame and robust build,
It's a true workhorse, never standing still.

With spacious seats and ample room,
It's a sanctuary, my home away from home.
Through mountains, valleys and winding roads,
It takes me where my spirit freely flows.

So here's to my SUV, the Mahindra Thar,
A true companion, shining bright like a star.
With every journey, my love for it grows,
For it's more than just a car, it's a part of my soul.
84.monsoon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 09:23   #3988
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Guys, how does one disable the automatic hill descent? There is a certain section of my building that has a steep decline. When I take the Thar out from that area, the hill descent control automatically activates. But even after I bring it out on flat ground and drive to the end of the lane, the hill descent control is still active (I see the icon on the instrument console).

How do I switch it off once I am on flat ground? Thanks.
Old 20th January 2023, 10:29   #3989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, how does one disable the automatic hill descent? There is a certain section of my building that has a steep decline. When I take the Thar out from that area, the hill descent control automatically activates. But even after I bring it out on flat ground and drive to the end of the lane, the hill descent control is still active (I see the icon on the instrument console).

Hi GTO,

It can be switched off by simply clicking on the HDC button on the right bottom corner if its an old model(2022). For new models, I guess they have moved these controls to central console just near the AC controls.

Also do you have screetching noise of brakes when HDC is active? My brakes make lots of noise as if its scratching against some metal whenever HDC is active and working. Even at times during normal braking at slow speeds, my brakes make the same noise and its present from day one of my 1.5 year ownership. Service guys got no clue what it is and they says its the ABS motor getting activated, however I don't think its the actual issue. It doesn't impact the performance and hence I kept as it is till date.

Highway Petrol
highwaypatrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2023, 10:38   #3990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Guys, how does one disable the automatic hill descent? There is a certain section of my building that has a steep decline. When I take the Thar out from that area, the hill descent control automatically activates.

In my Mar 2022 Thar, it is a user activated function and does not activate automatically unless HDC (Hill Descent Control) is switched On manually.

Even the owner's manual states likewise. Not sure if it has changed in recent lots?
Name:  HDC.jpg
Views: 842
Size:  99.3 KB

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks