Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2022, 11:01   #3856
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My take is "..not to be"

For now, I've let it be - I'd say drive around till summer, take a call then if you need CR70...
Even mine cracked last month while on a long drive.
However I am not gonna change it as of now as its not in my driving sight and i am sure there might be few more hits. So will keep it as long as possiable.

PS: My XUV 500 too have two stone chips from past 4 years

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thumbnail_img_3667.jpg
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2022, 12:53   #3857
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post

As soon as I accelerate it again jerks and goes into limp mode.
I have been asked to take it to the Mahindra service station to get it scanned.
I normally avoid the local service center. Will probably take it to my friends dealership in Meerut next week.
Some sensor seems to be amiss. That too on rapid acceleration. When you stomp the throttle down harder than normal.

Oh and it's a year and a half old and 21k at the odo.
Any update on this issue? What was the cause?
Old 13th December 2022, 19:33   #3858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourabhzen View Post
Any update on this issue? What was the cause?
Loose ignition coils. They have been switched and installed. I have driven for about 1000kms.
The issue isn't completely gone. The engine check light isn't coming on but the jerks in very light form are felt sometimes only during pedal to the metal acceleration.

The dealer has been informed. I'll be giving them a date when they'll just send the techs over to dehradun to change the ignition coils.
navpreet318 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th December 2022, 09:45   #3859
Distinguished - BHPian

9 Out Of 10 Mahindra Thar units sold in last 3 months were diesel.

- Its diesel variants had sales of over 3,000 units per month in September, October and in November 2022

- The percentage of petrol sales has dropped significantly in the last three months, the biggest decline of which was faced just last month, where close to 95 per cent of the Thar’s sales were from the diesel variants.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 14th December 2022 at 09:46.
volkman10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 12:19   #3860
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I had actually put CR70 as soon as I bought the vehicle. Been using it for 22 months. And this is the first time in 35 years of driving that I have encountered a stone chip/ stone cracked windshield.
Let it come back after this replacement job. Then I will figure whether it is worth it or not.
The Thar is back!
The good folks at Sireesh Singasandra were actually to return it on Sat last. However it was drippy rainy and wet. So the Service Advisor Vinoth who has always been helpful to me said it is better that the vehicle remains there and the sealant is allowed to dry. I agreed.
Anyway I was travelling Sun to Wed.
So I asked them to deliver it after I came back.
They have brought it in today.
So far as I can see the job has been well done and the new windshield is fine.
Now on the CR70 - To Be or Not to Be.
I am highly inclined to heed the good advice of the friendly folks on our Forum and save my money.
Let me sleep on this, sleep, perchance to dream and then decide…
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-bec4c773a0de4dd1a4fae122f960ee8e.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 16:03   #3861
BHPian

Has mahindra quietly added a radiator protector in its new thar batches or has it been in place from long?

Mine is a Oct 2022 manufactured vehicle with new logo and 1 usb port, no lumbar support in seats, the latest updated LX DSL variant in short.

One pic is from my Thar and the other one is old official pic from mahindra.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20221215_014325.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221215154752__01.jpg  

trends2day is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 19:32   #3862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trends2day View Post
Has mahindra quietly added a radiator protector in its new thar batches or has it been in place from long?

Mine is a Oct 2022 manufactured vehicle with new logo and 1 usb port, no lumbar support in seats, the latest updated LX DSL variant in short.

One pic is from my Thar and the other one is old official pic from mahindra.
This radiator guard is there right from the beginning. But it's made of ABS plastic and more ornamental than functional. Most here have gone on to change to mild steel or aluminum ones.
techfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2022, 22:16   #3863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
This radiator guard is there right from the beginning. But it's made of ABS plastic and more ornamental than functional. Most here have gone on to change to mild steel or aluminum ones.
Oh ok. So which one is recommended for soft offroading with out adding too much weight? I read several brands on forum like bimbra, azad, prad but which one is most reliable with no heating issues?
Old 16th December 2022, 07:35   #3864
BHPian

Quote:
Oh ok. So which one is recommended for soft offroading with out adding too much weight? I read several brands on forum like bimbra, azad, prad but which one is most reliable with no heating issues?
I am using one from Bimbra (earliest model/design) & I have no issue. Go for Prad aluminum one, light n well made. Actually for light off roading anyone will do. Aluminum ones are expensive n mild steel is heavy. But aluminum is light. So you got to take your pick.
techfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th December 2022, 12:07   #3865
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Now on the CR70 - To Be or Not to Be.
I am highly inclined to heed the good advice of the friendly folks on our Forum and save my money.
Let me sleep on this, sleep, perchance to dream and then decide…
Update is that Ive stuck my dash cam and fastag etc on the new windshield direct. No CR 70 film etc. Heeding the advice of the folks on the forum on this piece.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 10:27   #3866
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I am using one from Bimbra (earliest model/design) & I have no issue. Go for Prad aluminum one, light n well made. Actually for light off roading anyone will do. Aluminum ones are expensive n mild steel is heavy. But aluminum is light. So you got to take your pick.
For light off-roading/ bad roading, the M&M accessory should be fine as long as you keep in mind that the underbody (transmission, transfer case, fuel tank, end can, DEF tank, etc.) are exposed - though they are all above the ladder frame) and do not go surfaces that might cause a hit.

For making your own tracks sort of off-roading, I'll recommended the ARKA underbody kit, which is an Aluminium shield, and it's ++ is in addition to lower weight than steel, it also covers the fuel tank. Last I checked, other brands' underbody protection kirs needed a separate fuel tank shield.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 19:45   #3867
BHPian

Hello, everyone. Where can I get a simple bolt-on hitch/hook with the receiver for my 2020 Thar for an army disposal trailer?

Is there a way to get some kind of documentation from the RTO for the trailer?

Please guide.

Pic source: Google images.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-59dccbd4afe24900a2c502b3e59cbce3.jpeg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Malhi : 17th December 2022 at 19:54.
Old 17th December 2022, 20:38   #3868
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
Hello, everyone. Where can I get a simple bolt-on hitch/hook with the receiver for my 2020 Thar for an army disposal trailer?
If you haven't checked it already, this thread might have some info:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...-india-12.html (Places to buy stuff for Off-Roading/4x4 in India)
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 21:00   #3869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post

Is there a way to get some kind of documentation from the RTO for the trailer?
I think I’ve gotten the answer. Sharing the info others who might me interested.

After my brief research I’ve concluded that for a trailer to be registered the same process of registering a new vehicle has to be followed.

Hail to the Indian Document Raj!

Images attached:
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-db27a6cb8d934be2afea199a1477f59d.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-7b379e3bd26e4f02a109ba83bef0846c.jpeg  

Malhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th December 2022, 22:20   #3870

Hi guys!
Just got my new Diesel MT LX hard top Napoli Black. Delivered on 6th December in Delhi. For accessories, I just got the rear view camera and rain visors from the dealer. For rest of the accessories, did a quick market survey in Karol Bagh and got a deal of approx. 68K for following:
-LED Headlamps from Hypersonic
-LED Fog lamps 4300K
-3 Piece Underbody protection from PRAD (Mild Steel)
-Seat covers in leatherette with some extra foam under thigh
-Front and rear armrests
-Stepney Cover
-Front door hinges in Red colour (purely ornamental)
-Carbon fibre appliques for mirror and door handles (ornamental again)
-Steering cover
-7D mats from hypersonic

I had to immediately embark on a 1400 km drive to my temporary place of work in Gujarat. After much discussion with fellow petrolheads, youtube videos and detailing experts I decided to get the PPF done. Did not want to risk the fresh new factory finish clear coat being damaged with stone chips and other highway hazards within the first week. So, with some last moment changes in the schedule, got a reasonable deal at a branded detailing studio at Malviya Nagar for TPU PPF with 3 years warranty for about 60K (Full Body). Frankly speaking I simply walked in to the nearest detailing studio that was available as I was very short of time. The next two days were literally spent on the workshop floor watching the crew stripping off every decal and door panels etc (with fingers crossed). As promised, they delivered the car in approx. 48 hours. They did a pretty good job. The panels and decals were fitted just like factory finish. I was reasonably satisfied.

With all the protection and functional accessories done, it was time to embark on the first road trip with “Volga”, my sleek black Thar!! As recommended by the OEM, I strictly drove below 8p kmph with rpm around 1500 range for the first 1000kms. It was mostly on the Delhi-Ahmedabad highway with cruise control and squeezed commendable FE figures of 17.9 kmpl (calculated tank to tank. The instrument showed 18.9 kmpl).

So here is my review after the first week:
1. The seating height is commanding. It gives a king of the road kind of feeling. Even harrier looks like a hatchback from behind the wheels.
2. The ladder frame suspension gives a massive confidence boost while driving over bad patches.
3. The highway ride is a bit bumpy of course for the soft suspension tuning but it is not a deal breaker for me.
4. At speeds over 100 kmph there is considerable wind noise even in the hard top variant.
5. Body roll is manageable at 80-90 kmph. I felt it is lesser than the older Scorpio and XUV 500.
6. The AC is really powerful and many a times I had to constantly fiddle with the hot/cold dial.
7. Braking needs some time to get used to. So does the manual gear shifter with its long throws. My first gen i20 still feels much more accurate in terms of gear-shifting.
8. Speakers are satisfactory. Might do an upgrade after saving some cash.

Have not taken her for any kind of off-roading yet but overall, I am fully satisfied with this buy. As a North-East boy growing up in the remotest corner of the country with bad to non-existent roads, It was a childhood fantasy to own a 4X4 vehicle capable of handling every terrain and this car just provides that confidence. And the looks are to die for. I am pleasantly surprised that even after 2 years of launch, the new Thar still turns heads on the road. Commands a respect on the highway and people do give way!

I feel the post is already way too long but I simply wanted to share my excitement with all of you here. Will sign off with some photos of the final look:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3764.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_9237.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3711.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3770.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3860.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3856.jpg
Growler86 is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks