Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2022, 08:24   #3106
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I did this research when I got my underbody done - Arka covers the fuel tank by design, and optionally has a DEF tank plate too. It alsi has openings for changing engine oil without removing the engine cover, and the plates come with baffles for air circulation. I had put up some details around it in my ownership thread earlier...

At that time, none of others had a complete underbody protection that covers the fuel tank too - may have changed now.
Totally agree, Arka is the one to go! I have the entire kit on my Thar and the service support is awesome. Arka is a responsible company and have been in touch, even after selling their products.
getsurya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2022, 09:50   #3107
BHPian

Yup,

Arka seems to be the best. However I didn't want to add so much weight to the car and instead went with just two metal plates - one for the DEF tank and one for the rear differential. I paid 3k on average for both. I also saw a guy with a bashed in DEF plate recently so I was sure about what I wanted. The only issues I have with Arka are -
1. Loads of additional weight. Slow to accelerate and brake!
2. Expensive? If targeting modular protection..
3. One can't access (visually?) system nuts and bolts that tend to get loose on Mahindras... Best torque every visible bolt with threadlocker before installing such a kit.
4. GC concern.
5. Impact consequence (see below..)
6. Already bought some parts from Mahindra at delivery so the whole system seemed overkill.

I also had to consider that I bought an FRP plate from Mahindra during the time I picked up the vehicle in Jan 22. I paid 2500 for it.

Mahindra also sells a radiator guard (which they're ridiculously calling an engine guard at the ervice center now) that's not much to look at, still was minimal and seemed to offer enough coverage to the radiator. The engine is already really high up. I am not a fan of the big front bash plates. Paid a nominal official amount for it. I think ~4k or so.

I achieved modular protection with a lower overall weight. Arka's kit seems the best for aerodynamics but one thing I will add is that I believe it hits GC. It also makes me question what will happen if a single plate gets bashed in - does it impact other mounts / plates?

I'm also adding an Arka winch plate and Dr. Nano 12.5k pound winch next week - so the cars definitely going to get heavier now. Dad's an armoured corps guy - he's pretty sure I shouldn't be adding any more to the unladen weight of the car after this!

Last edited by wooka : 11th April 2022 at 10:00.
wooka is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th April 2022, 16:44   #3108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
This is when I got an update from 3D mats india. The original 3D maxspider mats company. They've changed their name to Pharaoh mats now.
They informed that they just launched the Thar 3D mats.
Excellent mats. They don't move around. The feet don't slip on them. Perfect fit! And look amazing as well.

Would recommend it to everyone.
Excellent recommendation Navpreet sir. Just bought and set them up. Very neat, solidly built and looks like they will last. Thanks for telling us about these.
Kapany is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 09:01   #3109
BHPian

Quote:
I did this research when I got my underbody done - Arka covers the fuel tank by design, and optionally has a DEF tank plate too. It alsi has openings for changing engine oil without removing the engine cover, and the plates come with baffles for air circulation. I had put up some details around it in my ownership thread earlier...

At that time, none of others had a complete underbody protection that covers the fuel tank too - may have changed now.
A noob question!

Can the underbody protection, which I believe is around 30 odd kgs, be removed and bolted back on with relative ease. The use case being, I bolt it on when I travel to the hills/mountains and remove them once I am back to the plains. That would be a once-a-year affair.

I don't want to drag along an additional 30 kgs while on my daily in-city trips.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 12:11   #3110
BHPian

Anyone knows how Thar AC Climate control internally works?

Does it regulates hot and cold air to get the cabin temperature to the desired set level OR switches the compressor off / on OR something else?
Old 13th April 2022, 13:02   #3111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
A noob question!

Can the underbody protection, which I believe is around 30 odd kgs, be removed and bolted back on with relative ease. The use case being, I bolt it on when I travel to the hills/mountains and remove them once I am back to the plains. That would be a once-a-year affair.

I don't want to drag along an additional 30 kgs while on my daily in-city trips.
The Arka underbody itself is 24.5 KG - and it is easy to remove the plates. I had removed the front (engine cover) plate to work on my additional hours with ease, you'll need a T-spanner, and space to get under the jeep.

The DEF guard is another 4 KG - I'm fine in dragging 28.5 KG along, even the stock radiator guard should be about 4 or 5 KG, and (IMHO) doesn't do much for protection. There was a post earlier where a BHPian got a hit on his AT Transmission (My 2021 Mahindra Thar’s accident & underbody damage | Gearbox replaced), and the cost was eye-watering - had to pay 80k from the pocket after insurance - and this hit happened in plains

For me, the peace of mind that I can drive the Thar like a jeep and not worry about getting something damaged is more important. And to be honest, I haven't seen any difference in mileage or handling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBagheera View Post
Anyone knows how Thar AC Climate control internally works?

Does it regulates hot and cold air to get the cabin temperature to the desired set level OR switches the compressor off / on OR something else?
Does both - the compressor cuts off when it's too cold (dial at full anti-clockwise, you can feel the compressor cut in and out when the Thar is standstill) and regulates hot air to increase the blower temperature if you turn the dial clock-wise. I haven't checked if the compressor cuts off when you increase the temperature, but I'd guess not because the warm air will make it stuffy without the cold air to regulate the temperature.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 13th April 2022 at 13:06.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 16:16   #3112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I don't think 30 kgs in an almost 1800 kg vehicle would make much difference to the mileage (if that's your concern). Think of it as always having another spare tyre or two in your car .
comfortablynumb is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th April 2022, 23:34   #3113
BHPian

Quote:
Does both - the compressor cuts off when it's too cold (dial at full anti-clockwise, you can feel the compressor cut in and out when the Thar is standstill) and regulates hot air to increase the blower temperature if you turn the dial clock-wise. I haven't checked if the compressor cuts off when you increase the temperature, but I'd guess not because the warm air will make it stuffy without the cold air to regulate the temperature.
Thanks Ph03n!x! It is still not clear, whether it is going to consume less fuel if temperature is set to say 70% cooling when compared to 100% cooling?
Old 14th April 2022, 00:58   #3114
BHPian

The thermostat is cut off sooner, is all I can say. The whole unit behaves abnormally when you go past the mid (slightly towards hot) with the AC on.

The heater and compressor both do your brains in with what's happening under the hood. At no particular point can one justify the mindless burning of fuel to run a compressor to cool air that is parallel being heated up by the heater. Turn off the AC at that point and you're greeted by a sudden blast of hot air (same thermostat setting). It's going to take a little tinkering in the winters and monsoons to get it right.

An extra 50-100 kilos won't really hit your mileage. Compensate with +1 PSI to bring down the size of your tyre contact patch to standard. It'll affect the braking distance more than anything, which is not great as it is. Throw in a winch and all - so I decided to go modular over full plate.
wooka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 07:27   #3115
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
The thermostat is cut off sooner, is all I can say. The whole unit behaves abnormally when you go past the mid (slightly towards hot) with the AC on.

The heater and compressor both do your brains in with what's happening under the hood. At no particular point can one justify the mindless burning of fuel to run a compressor to cool air that is parallel being heated up by the heater. Turn off the AC at that point and you're greeted by a sudden blast of hot air (same thermostat setting). It's going to take a little tinkering in the winters and monsoons to get it right.
Does the hot air kicks-in only if you turn the knob beyond mid-point or the hot air duct is gradually opened as you turn the knob clockwise from the 100% cold point itself?
Old 14th April 2022, 08:13   #3116
BHPian

Seems to be only after the midway point.
wooka is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2022, 10:39   #3117
BHPian

Last evening I realized that the driver side floor was heating up - I was wearing a fair of floaters and I could really feel the heat. Its was a normal drive - 35 minutes in bearable traffic with sedate driving.

This is not the first time I am experiencing this though. This happened a few times in the initial few months. I did raise it at the 1K km service but since I couldn't reproduce the instance at that point in time, the issue went unattended. I would also like to point out that this heating issue didn't surface in the last 4/5 months.

I have read about owners complaining about this issue in other forums but not sure anyone could pin-point the exact reason behind it or get to a work-around.

Any views?
Old 14th April 2022, 21:00   #3118
BHPian

Three weeks back booked my first car- A Red Thar Softop diesel auto. I want a BH number plate, hence booked it in my Native state (U.P.) as all Hyderbad dealers refused BH registration. I have added more details on my experience in another thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-...ml#post5286234 (The "I Booked my Car" Thread)

Main reasons for Thar: Its convertible, my wife denied me buying a two-wheeler and I wanted to enter my 30s in style next year

My dealer confirmed to me today that Mahindra has increased prices on Thar and that he can share the updated pricelist by tomorrow. I feel slowly but surely thar is becoming too overpriced (compared to its launch price) and the lack of basic features like front armrest, climate control, and auto folding mirrors at such prices is only decreasing its value quotient. Thar seems to be going the Wrangler way (In US too, i feel Wrangler is priced way too much for what it offers)
Link to price hike news: https://www.carwale.com/news/mahindr...s-model-range/

Also, I came across this news article that thar is getting a new Anniversary edition variant! Is this true or its just a clickbait article? https://motoroctane.com/news/236134-...these-features
AMG1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 06:44   #3119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
It also makes me question what will happen if a single plate gets bashed in - does it impact other mounts / plates?
I have the entire Arka underbody kit installed, had just the radiator guard bashed in when I went dune bashing, it didn't affect the other guards. Also, the Arka shield was repaired (read just unbent) for Rs 500, whereas I'm presuming the OEM plastic shield or anything weaker would have definitely damaged my radiator and resulted in a much more hefty build.
Turbolove is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 15th April 2022, 08:57   #3120
BHPian

Absolutely agree on the bash plate. The oem Mahindra bash plate is quite useless. It's more for looks and aerodynamics than anything else. Thus the oem radiator guard works for me. I'd have added a metal bash plate had it not been for the added leverage from the winch plate (6mm Arka) and the winch (12.5k pound rating - heavy!)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks