Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2022, 21:13   #3031
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

BHPians from Thiruvananthapuram.

Got a call from SS Mahindra today, inviting me to an off-road demo for the Thar to be held at Akkulam.

Can't go as I had a spur of the moment trip fixed and committed 10 minutes before the call.

Not sure of the location, but the SA said something about near Sreedhanya, Akkulam. Do try to contact the showroom or an SA.
DicKy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2022, 00:05   #3032
BHPian

Guys, any recommendation for 4 inch led fog light set up with proper brackets to replace the existing fog lights? Iam not a big fan of iPH projectors which are most commonly used by many these days. Even after coming up with tonnes of other modes, Iam wondering why still there is no proper led fog light which is plug and play for Thar? Or did I miss anything which is already there in the market?

I have been seeing many 4" fog lights, both chinese and branded ones like KC and Baja designs, however mounting them will be a challenge as the Thar has a very weired stock fog light assembly.
Old 16th March 2022, 13:40   #3033
BHPian

Adding to the above post, Please suggest the best quality jeep headlights, with many option in market, some are claiming these are original Jeep JL lights and some of them are Chinese, if someone has researched over this subject, Please share your experience
Old 16th March 2022, 15:47   #3034
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
Adding to the above post, Please suggest the best quality jeep headlights, with many option in market, some are claiming these are original Jeep JL lights and some of them are Chinese, if someone has researched over this subject, Please share your experience
I have already replaced my stock Fog lamps with LED Projector fog lamps. Next, I would like to add Projectors for the Headlights as well.
Few things that I have observed and considered that might be helpful in your case as well.

1) Stock headlights are 7 inch round reflector based units, so anything other than Halogens causes glare. Even with halogens, glare is more than other headlight designs IMHO. So, this is why I am considering Projectors. Also, Projectors have a razor sharp low beam cutoff which reflectors can't match.

2) There are lots of 7 inch aftermarket sealed Headlight options ranging from only for show to some that are somewhat meaningful. I don't want a sealed headlight unit cause if it goes kaput (being Chinese, chances are it will) in order to replace the Headlights, We have to remove the front bumper and grill of the Thar.

3) Most the aftermarket units are for show. Not to forget its improper low beam cutoff and glare causing problems to other road users. Illumination wise as well, not of much help

4) Few proper aftermarket sealed units are available like Morimoto Super 7 Projector headlight replacement. But extremely expensive

5) If we can retrofit a 3 inch Bi-Xenon projector inside the stock headlight housing or custom housing, it will be a much better option. Projectors are unlikely to go bad, if the HID bulb fails, we can replace it easily. Issue with HID bulbs being its warm up time. This won't be useful for a quick flash to pass I believe. Although road illumination will be fantastic. Right now, I know of Genome Performance and Lumiere Concepts, which have Bi-Xenon Projector options for the new Thar.

6) Personally, I would consider fabricating some custom mounts to adapt the 3 inch Projector to the 7 inch headlights mount. I will consider using similar LED Projectors like my fog lamps, except it will be single color this time around. Orelse normal Bi-Xenon Projector with compatible LED aftermarket bulbs will be considered.

I would suggest you to check few youtube videos on 7 inch Headlights by the Channel Headlight Revolution

Hope my insights are of some help to you.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 16th March 2022 at 15:59.
dr_TJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th March 2022, 23:00   #3035
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4_attitude View Post
There is one brand Trucklites. They have a particular model 27270c. This would be the ideal upgrade for our Thars. Only problem is sourcing them. A jeep builder in Rajasthan does it but it's for their own builds and they cost a bomb! If only we can have someone generate a group buy and import a batch for us at a reasonable price, it would be great. Do check it out. The best part about these trucklites 27270c is that they look nearly stock. No outlandish or gaudy designs.
navpreet318 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 00:33   #3036
BHPian

I will be taking my Thar LX D AT for the 10k KM service. I am seeing the following estimate in the Mahindra app. Wanted to check if it is inline with what the other owners have paid and if there is any add on recommended which is not listed here. Thanks in advance.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220319002824_with-you-hamesha.jpg
Old 19th March 2022, 03:49   #3037

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
I will be taking my Thar LX D AT for the 10k KM service. I am seeing the following estimate in the Mahindra app. Wanted to check if it is inline with what the other owners have paid and if there is any add on recommended which is not listed here. Thanks in advance.
Attachment 2285872
It costed me 6K for the 10k KM service. The only other thing I got done was the wheel balancing & cleaning of the break pads.
sunilngn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 07:40   #3038
Senior - BHPian

Small update.
Got the 10K service done at my friend's dealership in Meerut. Shree Shyam ji Mahindra.
Once they fed the VIN into the system a number of service actions came up related to my car. All were carried out diligently.
Other than that I had complained about the driver seat movement. That was taken up under warranty. Complete seat was replaced with a new one under warranty.
The infotainment system was not playing radio clearly. That was also replaced with a new one under warranty.
Got to hand it to Mahindra to work very proactively towards any customer complaint and taking the warranty calls without hesitation or involvement of the dealer.
I'm happy with the way the things have turned out.

Oh and I had forgotten to pick up the document for my 2 year extended warranty. This too was done in this service.
So now I have a warranty of 5 years and 1.2L kms on the Thar. Wonder why people mentioned here that only 1 year extended warranty is offered on the Thar.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 19th March 2022 at 07:45.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th March 2022, 08:09   #3039
BHPian

I have a question for fellow members in Bengaluru, is there a good place to get aftermarket seat covers. I am 6 feet 3 inches and the driver seat does not have good thigh support plus also wanted to make the rear bench more comfortable.
Old 19th March 2022, 09:36   #3040
BHPian

Hello, I saw my left Hood catcher in the unlatched position once after a drive over a gravel road. I can't clarify how and when it happened cause I noticed it after I parked my car.
I have attached pictures of my hood catchers, are these the new types or the old type which were replaced by Mahindra?
My Thar is August 2021 manufactured.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220319_093123_copy_4176x3124.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220319_093116_copy_4176x3124.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220319_093134_copy_4176x3124.jpg  

Last edited by dr_TJ : 19th March 2022 at 09:37.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2022, 22:51   #3041
BHPian

Dude, must say, you have a lot, and a real lot of patience. Service centre visit every alternate month! If there was an option to skip the 10k service in my Toyota, I would happily do that - but this is really glaring, to the point of being unreliable and a safety risk. On a holiday in the hills, the horn is most essential safety equipment on Indian roads.

However, glad you are enjoying the drive too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by samanvya View Post
11. Its like owning an elephant. you have to give it a lot of maintenance. It needs one service center visit, every alternate month.

Anyways, these were the issues I face(d) with the car. All that being said, I am still impressed by the capabilities of this car. and would love to buy it again.
jeetumg27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2022, 23:06   #3042

After waiting patiently almost a year. Being silently happy, sad and frustrated in the joys and sorrows of Thar owners in this forum, I can't contain the excitement in buying Thar as my first car. Dealer told me today that car has been billed and should reach the showroom in 2-3 days from Nasik.

Model: LX AT HT D, Napoli Black
Planning to take BH number, dealer is saying initial registration can only be for 2 years.
If someone has taken BH number or is knowledgable about the same please let me know.

If I recall there was a TeamBhp PDI checklist which could be printed out, and had 3-4 headings each with their own subitems and a checkbox by their side. I can't seem to find it now.

Accessories Planned
- Bug deflector
- Rear Camera

First Road Trip Planned ASAP
Delhi to Banglore ( there is an excellent thread here on the same road trip, have been following it for some time)

Since this will be around 2000km trip in a new car what precautions should I take ?

First service schedule seems to be at 5000KM, can I get the first service done at 1000kms ?

Forgot to ask one more question. Which service center is the best around Delhi/NCR ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hi navpreet318

Here is the link where you can order it online.

However, I got it directly from their official distributor here in Bangalore and I highly recommend this product as quality is top notch.

Highwaypatrol
The website shows 4800. I'll soon be travelling to bagnlore.
Where's the shop in banglore ? Any idea if they would bill me 2800/- too ?

Last edited by bblost : 23rd March 2022 at 23:33. Reason: back to back.
newbie_thar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 00:00   #3043
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_thar View Post
Planning to take BH number, dealer is saying initial registration can only be for 2 years.
If someone has taken BH number or is knowledgable about the same please let me know.
Congratulations, and do post your delivery experience, photos, et all!

The road tax for the BH series is initially for 2 years, and can then be paid every two 2 years, or multiple of 2 years from then on - in the state of residence at that time.

You should probably educate your dealer - point them to this thread -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...e-another.html (New "BH" series registration | For cars getting transferred from one state to another)

Quote:
If I recall there was a TeamBhp PDI checklist which could be printed out, and had 3-4 headings each with their own subitems and a checkbox by their side. I can't seem to find it now.
This -
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buyin...heck-list.html (ARTICLE: Pre-delivery Inspection (PDI) & Check List)
Quote:
Since this will be around 2000km trip in a new car what precautions should I take ?

First service schedule seems to be at 5000KM, can I get the first service done at 1000kms ?
The first service is at 1000 KM, second at 10,000, and multiples of 10,000 KM then on.

Driving a new car on good National Highways is not the best way of running them in - but my last 3 vehicles (including my Thar) have run-in in highways only

Essentially, the reason why highway runs are not a great idea is because we tend to drive at constant speed/ RPM for long, instead of how both will vary if run-in under city conditions. So the suggestion I have is to consciously vary the RPM every few minutes.

The manual only suggests not to rev or accelerate hard during the first 1,000 KM, but call me old-fashioned!

Also, you should do your first service in your base location before starting for the highway drive - else you'll miss the 1,000 KM for the first service threshold, or will have to do it in some MASS enroute, which is not ideal.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 09:35   #3044
BHPian

Quote:
I did a Pune - Kolktata (2k kms) trip after around 20 days of getting the vehicle. I drove mostly around the city and surrounding hills during this period.

I ensured I complete the first 1k kms, get the first service done at my local ASC before hitting the highways for the trip. While they don't do much in the first service but it about the peace of mind.

I carried the following items:

1. A 6 litre can of DEF (just in case)
2. Spare bulbs (I upgraded to 100/90)
3. Tire inflator
4. Other road trip essentials
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 09:36   #3045

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

Also, you should do your first service in your base location before starting for the highway drive - else you'll miss the 1,000 KM for the first service threshold, or will have to do it in some MASS enroute, which is not ideal.
Sure will add pics and perhaps an ownership experience as well, your storytelling skills combined with car knowledge is unparalleled, have greatly enjoyed your ownership thread.

That's what I am planning, go on the road trip only after first service is done.
Any recommendations for good sevice center around Delhi/NCR ? or in Agra ?
newbie_thar is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks