Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2022, 16:12   #3781
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Has any BHPian done anything to enhance the security aspect? The Convertible / Soft-Top are obviously very easy to break into. Any thoughts on anti-theft devices (gear lock etc.) to prevent the car from being stolen? If Scorpios are so easily stolen, it's clear that thieves have figured out how to bypass Mahindra's immobilizer. Attachment 2384635
This is one question that makes me paranoid on every trip. Since Thar is mine and wife’s only vehicle with she being the predominant driver, we are always aware of the insecurity aspect of the soft top. As a rule, we refrain from keeping anything inside the parked car and always go for covered/mall/restaurant parking wherever possible. We don’t park it in areas we don’t trust and if there is a long halt at some place, I go back and check the vehicle once every 30/40 minutes.

Since I keep the top down on all weekends and go for customary outings, I specifically ask the valets to keep the car nearby or in a place easily monitored by them as the top is down. Also convertibles are still a rare sight in India esp when it’s come for parking with top down, you will be surprised how considerate and accommodating restaurants/Store Valets can be!

I keep a Car cover purchased by Mahindra accessory at all times in boot. When I park the car at home with top down on Fridays, i keep it covered with it throughout the weekend so that interior is saved both from dust and any undesirable activities. You can also use that cover in an area of doubt when your car is parked with top down. In the end, it’s a softop, the genuine paranoia is a trade off that comes with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0cb9f4caa9b74a3397d7acef9acff67d.jpeg  

Attached Images

AMG1 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th November 2022, 16:41   #3782

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Whoa
This is over how many kilometers?
My Diesel Thar gives at best 14kmpl with cruise control and worst in city is 9-10 kmpl.

Just for comparison my other ride a 2021 Diesel Manual Compass FWD gives 14kmpl consistent on highway with about 100-110 kmph on speedo and about 12 kmpl in city.
This was purely highway drive for about 350+ kms, with cruise mode at 80-85 kmph. Actual mileage when calculated based on the kms driven and diesel filled, I got 13.5 kmpl on the entire trip when I came back home.

Cruise mode was only to check the performance of engine when driven with less load on engine. Rest of the trip was without cruise mode and includes city traffic as well, where I got over 13.5 kmpl and driven with heavy foot as well.
bairagi_virus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2022, 14:50   #3783
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this black Thar sporting a copper colored alloy. I don't know what is the make of it but loved it as well as the slightly larger wheels vehicle was sporting. It gave a lovely stance to the vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar.jpg  

TorqueyTechie is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 07:34   #3784
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

More stuff on Fuel efficiency.
I had filled up the day before yesterday when the odo was at 18295 kms. We used the vehicle inside Coorg a little. Hill roads. Bumps and potholes. Traffic and shifting to lower gears. My friend whom we visited on the way, also took the vehicle for a short drive inside the Estate and back on the mud roads.
On the return trip yesterday efinitely it was not as smooth a drive as on the way out because of the usual two wheelers and commercial traffic from Coorg onwards. And once we turned onto the Mysore- Bangalore road there was a lot of braking and acceleration and shifting to lower gears because of all the diversions and general traffic and pot holes and speed breakers all the way past Maddur. The NICE Road was also the usual video game with the constant lane changing. As usual we never exceeded 110kmph. We did engage Cruise wherever possible. But this constant acceleration and braking and gear shifting does certainly rob a lot of Fuel.
So anyway the readout kept varying between 10.2 and 10.3kmpl. And when I filled up this morning I see that the vehicle needed 39 litres. The odometer readout is now 18595.
So the real world fuel efficiency on the way back was only 7.7kmpl. 300kms of mixed terrain use and 39 litres drunk.

See pics attached.

Now there is another headache - a cracked windscreen.
The other thing that has happened yesterday is that my Windshield has developed a crack. This happened near the Bannerghatta road exit on the NICE road last evening. It is on the driver side and will definitely spread further.

I am wondering what to do when replacing it - I will sadly lose my 3M CR70 anti glare film which is stuck inside the windshield. But I am really more concerned about that Mandatory Motor Vehicle Department sticker which will also be lost with the replacement of the windshield.

What will I need to do for that?

See pics attached for this aspect too.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-100d503b5c844e62bbeb33842993c57b.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-7592cc5bc9a24ba08658b52b6ac168d9.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-b68c3e41834541558dc7fad2e745f6d4.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f502627fdb05435fbbe63fca3e3af604.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-23eba51ec6af4e879a70c145660236fc.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2048d59c001340f9b6e05f99a2c8f496.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd December 2022 at 07:51.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 08:56   #3785
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
So the real world fuel efficiency on the way back was only 7.7kmpl. 300kms of mixed terrain use and 39 litres drunk.
Oh man. This is seriously low, as compared to diesel one. Your DTE too is always in the range of 400 something whereas in diesel after refuelling it is in the range of 600 something. Yes, it can go way further than that but MID itself is limited to 600 something kms no matter how we drive.

Quote:
But I am really more concerned about that Mandatory Motor Vehicle Department sticker which will also be lost with the replacement of the windshield.

What will I need to do for that?
You can get the sticker separately from where you got the plates. Here in North you can apply and pay online for sticker only for Rs 72, hopefully won't be an issue at your place too.

Last edited by batish : 2nd December 2022 at 08:58. Reason: Added Range
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2022, 10:31   #3786
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Oh man. This is seriously low, as compared to diesel one. Your DTE too is always in the range of 400 something whereas in diesel after refuelling it is in the range of 600 something. Yes, it can go way further than that but MID itself is limited to 600 something kms no matter how we drive.

You can get the sticker separately from where you got the plates. Here in North you can apply and pay online for sticker only for Rs 72, hopefully won't be an issue at your place too.
On the way out, because the road was much better and there was a constant speed and momentum the Fuel efficiency was about 11kmpl.
On the way back because there were a lot of deviations and diversions one cannot maintain a steady speed and momentum. Hence one pays for this with poor fuel efficiency. Nothing can be done about this unless the road infra improves and everyone follows basic lane discipline.

I ll figure out about this sticker through my RTO agent.
Old 2nd December 2022, 18:48   #3787
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not qualified to comment on which is better. Not driven the Gurkha.
But frankly neither the Thar nor the Gurkha truly are ‘family vehicles’ in that sense. At the max, one can manage to transport 3 persons and their luggage. These are at best ‘lifestyle vehicles’ for two persons and luggage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Thar as a family vehicle isn't a good idea ,

You just need to learn to drive it without upsetting people sitting inside, it's not difficult at all but given the power train on offer you'd forget everything else often.
Completely in line with both of you on this. The Thar rear seat is not going to be satisfactory for an adult for more than a short period. But should be okay for my kids till they become teen-agers. But even for kids a bumpy rear ride will be problematic and it is this that I hope AVO will address. For the elders travelling 5 up it I will still rely on my trusty Baleno. Having driven the Thar twice, adopting a different driving style for the Thar compared to sedans or hatches was not too much of an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
I was in a similar dilemma and went ahead and bought a Gurkha. For sure the Gurkha is super crude and no way as finished as the Thar. What sets it apart from the Thar is:

The Thar is a better finished product than the Gurkha, has better aftersales support, better interiors etc whereas the Gurkha is a “ Truck”, period.
For me the only thing I need in the Gurkha is a more powerful engine. Everything else I love and/or can live with.

Drive on,
Shibu.
Old 3rd December 2022, 15:38   #3788
BHPian

Should we shift the Thar AT to Neutral, when we stop on a traffic signal or halt for a few moments or use the brakes?
Old 3rd December 2022, 16:21   #3789
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
Should we shift the Thar AT to Neutral, when we stop on a traffic signal or halt for a few moments or use the brakes?
I always shift to neutral and pull the hand brake for any stop which is likely more than 30 seconds.
Because otherwise it is in D and the foot is on the brake. Basically the vehicle is straining forward and being retarded by the brake. This is a waste of energy and the energy typically gets converted to heat which becomes evident near the left side of the driver’s footwell where the transmission is located beneath. And by mistake if one momentarily lifts the foot there can be a sudden forward surge which is not a good thing.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 17:27   #3790
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satchit_bhp View Post
Make it a habit, and for all others who use your car, even if it's for a few seconds, in gear and brakes applied, you are burning/roasting the clutch.
Quote:
I always shift to neutral and pull the hand brake for any stop which is likely more than 30 seconds.
Because otherwise it is in D and the foot is on the brake. Basically the vehicle is straining forward and being retarded by the brake. This is a waste of energy and the energy typically gets converted to heat which becomes evident near the left side of the driver’s footwell where the transmission is located beneath. And by mistake if one momentarily lifts the foot there can be a sudden forward surge which is not a good thing.
+1
Old 3rd December 2022, 17:33   #3791

Greetings fellow BHPians!

I am excited to announce that I have finally taken the plunge and getting the all new THAR home (Diesel MT hard top - Napoli black). Just completed the PDI today and will be getting the delivery next week in Delhi.

The dealer is offering me the 5 year/150000 km extended warranty for Rs. 31639/-

I have gone through some of the older posts regarding this issue and it seems that M&M have increased the price quite a bit. I also plan to get few basic accessories/modifications:

7 slot wrangler style bumper
Higher power headlight bulbs
Projector fog lamps (HID/LED)
Underbody protection (Prad/overland)
Front and rear armrests etc…

I am presently living in Bhuj (Gujarat) for at least next couple of years. My running is around 15K kms per year with road trips to upper reaches of Himachal, Ladakh and Zanskar at least once a year. Apart from that there will be moderate off-roading on weekends around the desert-like terrain of Kutch.

With this background, I would like to know the opinion of fellow Thar owners on whether this extended warranty is worth going for?

Thanks & Regards
Growler86 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 18:24   #3792
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Make it a habit, and for all others who use your car, even if it's for a few seconds, in gear and brakes applied.
I do get your point, it's better to relax the mechanicals but are you sure about this?

Quote:
you are burning/roasting the clutch.
Aren't they configured in a way that when a vehicle is stationary torque applied is reduced to a great extent because when we release the brakes it just creeps slowly and then picks up little speed.

Burning clutch seems a little over for an automatic.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 18:40   #3793
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Aren't they configured in a way that when a vehicle is stationary torque applied is reduced to a great extent because when we release the brakes it just creeps slowly and then picks up little speed.

Burning clutch seems a little over for an automatic.
No, there is no torque reduction or disengagement in a torque convertor AT, you're indeed holding back the vehicle with the brake.

But you're right, there's no "burning clutch" in a TQ - the TQ is the clutch, and all you'll do if you keep it in D and stand on the brake for extended duration is to heat up the transmission fluid, and maybe get a cramp

The Aisin Seiki transmission is pretty robust, so heated up fluid is designed keeping such usage in mind (after all it's a Toyota company!), but it's indeed a best practice to shift to N when stopping for more than a few seconds - avoiding heat build-up is any day a no-brainer!
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 21:19   #3794
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler86 View Post
With this background, I would like to know the opinion of fellow Thar owners on whether this extended warranty is worth going for?
If you can just go for it. Think of it as insurance.

Also, make sure you don't tamper with stock wiring especially with your future mods.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2022, 22:09   #3795
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinod_nair View Post
Make it a habit, and for all others who use your car, even if it's for a few seconds, in gear and brakes applied, you are burning/roasting the clutch.
Although an AT can deal with the heat at idle, the biggest reason to move the AT shifter to N and apply hand brake is that we humans are not reliable

All it takes is a strong sneeze or just a slip of your foot and the vehicle will lunge forward causing an accident. Unlike an MT, the AT will not let the vehicle stall either - just doing its job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler86 View Post
Greetings fellow BHPians!

I am excited to announce that I have finally taken the plunge and getting the all new THAR home (Diesel MT hard top - Napoli black). Just completed the PDI today and will be getting the delivery next week in Delhi.

The dealer is offering me the 5 year/150000 km extended warranty for Rs. 31639/-

I have gone through some of the older posts regarding this issue and it seems that M&M have increased the price quite a bit. I also plan to get few basic accessories/modifications:

7 slot wrangler style bumper
Higher power headlight bulbs
Projector fog lamps (HID/LED)
Underbody protection (Prad/overland)
Front and rear armrests etc…
Congratulations! Yes extended warranty if it's called Shield, take it

Going against popular mod here - the Wrangler grill & bumper. Why? It makes the vehicle look less imposing on the road, makes it look smaller. I spent an afternoon looking at it and realised why they have made the stock grill the way it is, they would have done something else instead.

It's made to look bigger than it is.

Rest of the things are okay, I'd leave the fog lamp as is though.

Last edited by Kosfactor : 3rd December 2022 at 22:27.
Kosfactor is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks