Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2022, 20:29   #3736
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
.Anshuman also vouches for the AVO suspension, along with (IIRC) Navpreet318. When I spoke to Anshuman for advice on the Thar, his first mod recommendation was this suspension.

Guys, please also share reviews of the Ironman. End of the day, competition makes things better for us customers . Specifically the "ride quality" and "comfort" factors as that is more important to me in a continuously bumpy Jeep than handling.
General question for the group: don’t these suspension changes void the vehicle warranty?
Mustang Sammy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th November 2022, 21:31   #3737
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Much has been said about the new Thar and there are plenty of reviews too so Im not wishing to add to any of these.

What I would like to share in this note, basis my own experience, are the following functional upgrades and enhancements;

1. Suspension Upgrade (AVO adjustable dampers and coil springs) (from ARKA)
Hearing a lot of good things about this suspension recently, have a couple of questions
  • what is the cost of upgrading?
  • where to buy and from whom to get it installed in Delhi?
  • does this void the warranty?
  • assuming this makes the ride soft, will it reduce the off-road potential of the Thar?
sid_deb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 14:01   #3738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganeshk4 View Post
Again received a call from him ~2hrs later, saying it's optional on petrol but on diesel it's factory fitted, whereas brochure says otherwise, according to him it's wording mistake.
Confirmed by mahindra customer care over email that MLD is standard on Diesel variants.
ganeshk4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 15:56   #3739
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang Sammy View Post
General question for the group: don’t these suspension changes void the vehicle warranty?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Hearing a lot of good things about this suspension recently, have a couple of questions
  • what is the cost of upgrading?
  • where to buy and from whom to get it installed in Delhi?
  • does this void the warranty?
  • assuming this makes the ride soft, will it reduce the off-road potential of the Thar?
Its fixed by the Mahindra Adventure chaps. So no fears with warranty.

For AVO please call Vinay Thomas in Bangalore - +91 96111 30954

It costs about 1.2 lac.

It is adjustable hence perfectly fine for both on road and off road applications. Just need to adjust it as per your comfort levels.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th November 2022, 19:40   #3740

Switched on our Thar today afternoon and I was greeted with a low tyre pressure warning. The earlier reading (afternoon) showed all the pressures at 29/30 PSI, except the bottom right one which was at 29 PSI.

Now at 7:29 PM all the tyres are at 30/31 PSI except the one on the bottom right still which is at 30 PSI.

It's just a 1 PSI difference but is this something I should be worried about? Could it be a faulty sensor?

I am doing a small road trip of 140 KMs (to and fro) so I just want to be sure if there's anything I need to be worried about.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-pxl_20221125_135719062.jpg  

mohit_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 05:25   #3741
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit_ View Post
Switched on our Thar today afternoon and I was greeted with a low tyre pressure warning. The earlier reading (afternoon) showed all the pressures at 29/30 PSI, except the bottom right one which was at 29 PSI.

Now at 7:29 PM all the tyres are at 30/31 PSI except the one on the bottom right still which is at 30 PSI.

It's just a 1 PSI difference but is this something I should be worried about? Could it be a faulty sensor?

I am doing a small road trip of 140 KMs (to and fro) so I just want to be sure if there's anything I need to be worried about.
This is a common place thing. Its happened to me around 3 times since I bought the vehicle. (Feb 2021 until now). Happens also due to change in weather and atmospheric conditions. Just get it filled again to the recommended psi. Drive a bit and it will sense the pressure and self learn/ self correct. This has been my experience.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 12:33   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I did about 800kms up and down with a little local buzzing about, last Friday through Sunday (yesterday).

Anyone tells you any different, simply don't listen.
I have been evaluating the Thar and the Gurkha. Gravitated towards the Gurkha due to the rear seat comfort that is much better as a family vehicle. Would be AVO suspension Thar be better?

Drive on,
Shibu
Old 26th November 2022, 14:03   #3743
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Taken from the Hycross thread (which is on fire).

Where would one source such delicious wheels for the Thar in India? Love this design & would be super happy to get them in 18".

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221123143942_instagram-1.jpg
GTO is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 17:53   #3744
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibujp View Post
I have been evaluating the Thar and the Gurkha. Gravitated towards the Gurkha due to the rear seat comfort that is much better as a family vehicle. Would be AVO suspension Thar be better?

Drive on,
Shibu
Not qualified to comment on which is better. Not driven the Gurkha.
But Mahindra generally is easier to live with day to day because of its relative ‘common-ness’, easy availability spares and service etc.
But frankly neither the Thar nor the Gurkha truly are ‘family vehicles’ in that sense. At the max, one can manage to transport 3 persons and their luggage. These are at best ‘lifestyle vehicles’ for two persons and luggage. Or can be used as pure utility focussed vehicles to get around an estate or farm etc.
Saying all of the above, the Mahindra Thar is such a runaway hit, that many people will actually have it as their primary and only, daily driver, all purpose, go anywhere anytime vehicle. AVO makes it much more comfortable. Thats for sure. But it is still a Jeepy thing. Jeepy things arent everyone’s cup of tea. But Mahindra’s Thar has really gone a long way in ‘democratizing’ Jeepy things in India.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 26th November 2022 at 18:12.
shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 21:19   #3745
Distinguished - BHPian

Rented a self drive Petrol Automatic Thar when I was in Goa recently. Had always thought of the Thar as the most drool-worthy car in India, and must say I am very very impressed with how it is put together and drives.

Was just my son and I - which made it easier since we didn’t have to squeeze anyone into the rear seats (which are as bad as the third row on my Tiguan Allspace). Was very impressed with the smoothness of Mahindra’s Petrol engine. A number of people had commented that the Thar rolls a bit and is somewhat scary at high speeds, but I found it absolutely acceptable - much better than a previous generation Fortuner I drove in Goa in the past.

Had a good mix of highway and typical narrow Goan road drives, including both the very crowded sections in North Goa between Aguada and Calangute, and less crowded sections on my way to Loutolim. Took it well over 80 kmph, but not all the way to 120 on highways, and I found the ride quite good, and the body roll reasonably well contained. On the narrower roads too, the car handled well, and it was not too cumbersome to drive in the narrow and crowded seats. Got used to the Indian style indicator controls fairly quickly, though there were 7-8 occasions over 2 days when I used the wipers when I wanted to signal a turn.

The only misses were the absence of a center arm rest, the non intuitive location of the power window switches in the centre console, the lack of a rear parking camera (though the sensors worked well) and the lack of keyless entry and a start stop button. Overall a fantastic car, no wonder so many of you love it.
Hayek is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 23:24   #3746
BHPian

Can anybody beat this?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-101.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-100.jpg
batish is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 23:40   #3747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Can anybody beat this?

Attachment 2384280

Attachment 2384279
Man! You're gonna get an offer from ARAI
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 23:46   #3748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Can anybody beat this?
No one will believe this but this is the reading.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20221126wa0006.jpeg  

swunkjyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 07:10   #3749
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Petrol Thar Hardtop AT. This is the standard that I always get. It was only once in my experience with this vehicle that this number went up to 545kms range when the tank was being filled. And this was just before its 1st service. On its first ever road trip after purchase when we were still running it in and never crossed 80kmph and 2500rpm.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-edf3d3c0ddf24f8db92d7dd50ae457e4.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th November 2022, 10:49   #3750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
I guess this is after coasting for about a kilometre. After that the reading starts to drop.

Mine was after a 300 km road trip.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks