Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2022, 21:38   #3586
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Although I think the Diesel AT is the superior Thar, I am thinking of getting a Petrol AT. Reason = BS6 exhaust. It's the 5th car of the house and will just be a weekend / night toy. Running will be max 100 - 300 km a month, usage merely once a week, and I have other fast German sedans for highway runs.
Hi GTO, I would highly recommend to go with Diesel AT, fun of driving a diesel is priceless. Probably this would be the last chance for all of us to drive a Diesel engine in our life time considering the stringent upcoming emissions laws coming up ahead.

Regarding DPF, my Diesel AT Thar has driven for almost 30K kms till now, and not even once the error pops up on my display. I honestly don't know what this fuss is all about on DPF issues. I do short runs, long runs, off roads, on roads and what not. This Thar never let me down till now not even once!

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd October 2022 at 10:59. Reason: Trimming quoted post
highwaypatrol is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 08:18   #3587
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks a ton for the advice, guys!

- Going to be a red convertible.

- Most likely the Petrol AT only. Been a while since I drove a Thar (last was for our reviews I think), so will take a spin in both engines again, but am inclined toward the turbo-petrol.

- What is the width of the stock alloy wheels? I guess BHPian vvb8530 got 9J wheels which makes the 285 mm tyres look meatier:
Name:  285 60 R18 d.jpeg
Views: 2437
Size:  376.5 KB

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Regarding DPF, my Diesel AT thar has driven for almost 30K kms till now, and not even once the error pops up on my display.
Thanks bud. Do you think that you haven't had DPF issues due to your high running? Mine will do 30k km in 6 - 7 years perhaps.
GTO is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 08:59   #3588
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

- Going to be a red convertible.

- Most likely the Petrol AT only. Been a while since I drove a Thar (last was for our reviews I think), so will take a spin in both engines again, but am inclined toward the turbo-petrol.

- What is the width of the stock alloy wheels? I guess BHPian vvb8530 got 9J wheels which makes the 285 mm tyres look meatier:
Attachment 2370214
I follow someone who has a red Thar CT with steelies and meaty tyres. I absolutely love the looks of it!!

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4b47d2fc75434ce9aed5aef2bdeedeff.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ce1d7e27d2ae49aeba07a8d450d92205.jpeg

And those Rubikaun stickers

Source: https://instagram.com/danishp97?igshid=NDc0ODY0MjQ=

Last edited by CEF_Beasts : 20th October 2022 at 09:03.
CEF_Beasts is offline   (37) Thanks
Old 20th October 2022, 13:27   #3589

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Headlamps: (I did this soon after purchasing the vehicle)
Im using Philips H4 Extreme Vision G Force 55W 12V Halogens. These are a straight swap if the OEM headlamps and can be bought on Amazon for Rs 1700 the pair. The fitment is a simple DIY. The light from these is superb. Halogens are always better than LEDs especially in rain and mist and I speak from long experience. See the throw in the pictures attached. Powerful headlamps are absolutely necessary.
Is this a straight swap? My guy says it requires an external relay and the installation of the relay will require wire joints and it will affect warranty. Sorry, I'm a noob here, so seeking some advice.
Old 21st October 2022, 00:07   #3590
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I follow someone who has a red Thar CT with steelies and meaty tyres. I absolutely love the looks of it!!

Attachment 2370220

Attachment 2370221

And those Rubikaun stickers

Source: https://instagram.com/danishp97?igshid=NDc0ODY0MjQ=

That is me . Thank you for featuring
DanishP9797 is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 00:42   #3591
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointsize View Post
Is this a straight swap? My guy says it requires an external relay and the installation of the relay will require wire joints and it will affect warranty. Sorry, I'm a noob here, so seeking some advice.
Yes, this is a straight swap. As long as wattage stays the same you don't need to tinker with wiring or add any relays. Even if it required any relay still it would not void warranty until there are any changes to stock harness.

Quote:
Do you think that you haven't had DPF issues due to your high running? Mine will do 30k km in 6 - 7 years perhaps.
Then don't even think about Diesel. Your running is too low to even consider any other fuel. You'll unnecessarily worry about DPF clogging up due to your city driving if you go with diesel and they have zero indication about DPF until it is clogged, only then it is showed up on MID.

Last edited by batish : 21st October 2022 at 00:45.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 04:48   #3592
BHPian

On the topic of wheel and tyres, I’m about to change my setup to 16inch alloys and 275/70 R16 Maxxis AT 980 tyres. They are already home just waiting for me to be back so that they can be installed. I have also placed an order for a set of wheel locks, don’t want nasty surprises in the parking lots. I will soon post pictures post installation.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f8c6c220bf7f49518d580e83cc98687f.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4a42ef123b864585b425e6cc709180b4.jpeg  

Last edited by Mr.U : 21st October 2022 at 05:01.
Mr.U is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 04:56   #3593
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pointsize View Post
Absolutely a straight swap. No chopping and splicing and relays and all. It is the stock wattage but the lamps are far superior to the stock ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
On the topic of wheel and tyres, I’m about to change my setup to 16inch alloys and 275/70 R16 Maxxis AT 980 tyres. They are already home just waiting for me to be back so that they can be installed. I have also placed an order for a set of wheel locks, don’t want nasty surprises in the parking lots. I will soon post pictures post installation.
These Maxxis look fantastic.I’m sure they’ll impart a very aggressive stance to your Thar. May I know how much these tyres cost? In Bangalore the price quoted is about 14000-15000 per tyre for Maxxis Bravo AT 980 in the 285/60/18 size.

Last edited by Sheel : 21st October 2022 at 16:52. Reason: Please take your time & reply to all posts in one go, instead of back to back posts on the same thread. Thanks.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 07:49   #3594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
In Bangalore the price quoted is about 14000-15000 per tyre for Maxxis Bravo AT 980 in the 285/60/18 size.
The cost for the 18s and 16s are almost the same pan india. These costed me 14800/- per tyre. Thats the lowest I could find. Also according to the many dealers I spoke to, Maxxis are in short supply and inventories are running out quickly, same for BFGs. I was quoted 15000/- for the 285 section Maxxis AT980 tyres and around 13xxx/- for 265/70 R16 AT700.
Mr.U is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 08:52   #3595
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
The cost for the 18s and 16s are almost the same pan india. These costed me 14800/- per tyre. Thats the lowest I could find. Also according to the many dealers I spoke to, Maxxis are in short supply and inventories are running out quickly, same for BFGs. I was quoted 15000/- for the 285 section Maxxis AT980 tyres and around 13xxx/- for 265/70 R16 AT700.
Im given to understand now today from the Mahindra Adventure person that the max that one should go is 265/65/18 and not more.
Possible suspension damage on stock suspension may ensue as well as potential detrimental effect on the steering.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 10:15   #3596
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
After two long years of ogling at Thars more than Porsches & Ferraris, I have decided to bite .

Can't wait for a Thar Convertible to come home.
About time! What colour did you pick?

And what's the plan for the Classic?

EDIT: Nevermind, Red Rage it is!
Quote:

- Although I think the Diesel AT is the superior Thar, I am thinking of getting a Petrol AT. Reason = BS6 exhaust. It's the 5th car of the house and will just be a weekend / night toy. Running will be max 100 - 300 km a month, usage merely once a week, and I have other fast German sedans for highway runs.

Main reason I am wary of the Diesel AT is that complex exhaust system. Because of my low running & short distance commutes (think 5 km to Bandra or Worli), I don't want to end up with choked DPFs & errors. Any thoughts? Would love a Diesel AT Thar with a tuning box / remap, but it's just the BS6 systems that are putting me off. Another small influencer is that I am very sure of Mumbai following Delhi in the 10-year diesel ban (although I'll probably upgrade to the 3rd-gen Thar anyway after 10 years).
For your use case, Petrol sounds right - but for the poor tank range when you use 4x4 (abysmal if 4L)

I'm writing a 40k update, but off-late, my usage has been a 9 KM choc-o-block drive to work, one way. This happens at least 15 days a month, followed by a min. 550 KM Highway 5 run. Or a hill climb (not often, thanks to BAU life).

And No DPF issues.

All the DPF issues in the Thar (incl. @wooka's) is related to wiring issues, not really the DPF and exhaust system itself.

I don't have qualms in recommending the Diesel, esp. coz when that one time you use the Thar like a Thar, a petrol will need a jerrycan for backup - Diesel won't! Case in point, a buddy with a Wrangler had jitters on the range when we were doing a remote (no mobile, electricity, barely any souls) off-road ahead of hill station called Nelliyampathy in KL. I was pretty comfortable letting my mill run non-stop!

Quote:
- Really, really want fat tyres. It's a non-negotiable for the stance (check out the rims on my current rides too). Minimum of 285 mm, open to 305 (a friend has one with 305/60/R16 & I adore his Jeep's stance). Okay with 18" rims, very open to 16" wheels with tall sidewalls too. What are the suggested tyre sizes for 285 mm and up? Good sources for wheels?

Thanks!
I'll leave the source to the Bombay/ MH boys, but 275/70 R16 (least variance from stock) or 285/60 R18 (less than 1.5% variance from stock) are the choices I'll recommend. But will need to be careful with 285 or higher widths, as the clearances is not great and may rub against a suspension component or other, or even the wheel arch.

Will look out for your ownership tales with this one!!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 21st October 2022 at 10:30.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 11:47   #3597
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishP9797 View Post
Beautiful steelies, man! Please share name + number of shop where you got them, their size (including width), how much you paid and what size tyres you are running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
And what's the plan for the Classic?
Occasional drive, but keeping as showpiece in the building.

Quote:
I don't have qualms in recommending the Diesel, esp. coz when that one time you use the Thar like a Thar, a petrol will need a jerrycan for backup - Diesel won't! Case in point, a buddy with a Wrangler had jitters on the range when we were doing a remote (no mobile, electricity, barely any souls) off-road ahead of hill station called Nelliyampathy in KL. I was pretty comfortable letting my mill run non-stop!
True, true. In 4L, the FE will be like 1 - 2 kmpl.

Quote:
I'll leave the source to the Bombay/ MH boys, but 275/70 R16 (least variance from stock) or 285/60 R18 (less than 1.5% variance from stock)
Thanks man

Last edited by GTO : 21st October 2022 at 11:50.
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st October 2022, 22:44   #3598
BHPian

Quote:
After two long years of ogling at Thars more than Porsches & Ferraris, I have decided to bite .

- Really, really want fat tyres. It's a non-negotiable for the stance (check out the rims on my current rides too). Minimum of 285 mm, open to 305 (a friend has one with 305/60/R16 & I adore his Jeep's stance). Okay with 18" rims, very open to 16" wheels with tall sidewalls too. What are the suggested tyre sizes for 285 mm and up? Good sources for wheels?

Thanks!
Wow! So you finally took the plunge. I was beginning to think that you had shelved the plans. Congratulations.

I'll just comment on the tyres - I would have gone with Method/Black Rhino bead-locks with 285/60/18 KO2s (these are easily available again). May not be very functional in SoBo (thanks Shankar for the acronym) but would be a very high quality investment. The 285s are RWL as well unlike the 265/60/18.

Not very useful in the context but you may still like this. These the 265s
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_0496.jpg
cooldip is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 09:53   #3599
GTO
Team-BHP Support

We're booking the Thar tomorrow . Am in touch with Mahindra & going ahead with NBS (a Mahindra-owned dealership). Taking delivery on Marine Drive will be an added bonus .

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
I follow someone who has a red Thar CT with
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanishP9797 View Post
Absolutely love these steelies.

1. Where to source these? Like, exactly these?

2. What is the width of the standard Thar alloy wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Then don't even think about Diesel. Your running is too low to even consider any other fuel.
I woke up today with the thought of a Jeep doing 0 - 100 in the low 10 seconds. Have a stupid grin plastered on my face since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldip View Post
285/60/18

The 285s are RWL as well unlike the 265/60/18.
Yeah, looks like its going to be 285. What does RWL mean?
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2022, 10:00   #3600
BANNED

Quote:

Yeah, looks like its going to be 285. What does RWL mean?
RWL = Raised White Lettering on the tyres.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed