Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2022, 16:21   #3631
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
Glad you have narrowed it down to the Thar. I have a 2021 Thar petrol automatic. Here are my two cents:

1. Since it's just a fun thing for you why not a petrol manual? The automatic has a mind of its own and not very responsive in the manual shifting mode. It doesn't shift to the highest gears when you are cruising (6th gear after 80kmph)
2. I have driven it for 16k kms now and live in Patna the max mileage I have got in the city is 6.5 km/l and 7.5 km/l on the highway, if that concerns you.
3. I want to use the stock set and then upgrade to the bigger tyres after 30-40k kms. But i can tell that the already heavy steering will be heavier with bigger tyres also impacting turning radius.
4. Someone suggested AVO suspension upgrade. There are very few ownership reviews on it. ARC is a cheaper alternative but members here say the difference is marginal. I would suggest wait it out for little while longer.
5. I like the hard top. Yes open top would be awesome. But I m waiting for someone to make an open able hard top like the wrangler. It will be best of both worlds then.
6 Grab handles, dead pedal, left knee cushion, converted both front seats to Innova style with integrated armrests and also increased thigh support (must have) wrangler grill in gloss black (Thar is mystic copper) hummer lights, bumper changed bug deflector (must have) lots of other small upgrades.

Good luck with your new car

As an owner myself of a Feb 2021 Thar AT Petrol Hardtop.

Ref your points above:
1. In Manual Mode it needs the driver to give the input and shift to a higher or lower gear. It wont do it by itself. In Auto mode I have found it highly responsive. But it is true that this vehicle is tuned for performance more than mileage per se and hence tends to ‘hold’ the lower gears for longer.
2. My mileage experience hasnt been too bad. 8-11 in general. When driving in the hills it drops to 7.
3. Tyres - Im also keeping the stock ones for their lifetime and then will change to 285/60/18 size.
4. My experience with AVO has been top class and it inspires huge confidence with the massively improved handling characteristics. AVO has proven itself to me beyond a shadow of doubt. A worthy upgrade.
5.I would also LOVE a ‘Freedom Top’ like the Wrangler. But I dont think our chaps can do a good leak proof job of this in the after market also, very easily. So I wouldnt ever tamper with the factory hard top. A convertible is lovely but its not a practical option for my needs. For GTO’s usage pattern it will be fine.
6. Grab handles and Armrests Ive done along with plain unpainted black Wrangler grille. But your suggestion of better under thigh support is a gery good one for any tall person. I am, however, a little concerned about opening up the seat squab because of the airbag sensors.
7.One more thing I didnt list earlier but which will be superbly useful is tumble fold rear seats which roll over like the Wrangler. Mahindra did have this in-their old Scorpios (it was there in my 2008 Scorpio for sure) so I cant understand why they couldnt do it for the new Thar!

Last edited by shankar.balan : 31st October 2022 at 16:22.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st October 2022, 16:26   #3632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

If you can get a UK spec headlamp, then you won't have this issue.
Thanks. This is very helpful to know.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 15:31   #3633
BANNED

Small additional work on my Thar. I would consider these essential functional enhancements.

1.Tumble-fold rear seats. This makes for a more use-able cargo bay area. This is from Azad 4x4 Bangalore and executed by them neatly in 2 hours. They remove the seat. Introduce a pair of hinged plates to allow for the tumble. No drilling etc. Just using rhe existing seat securing holes. Replacing the OEM Bolts with these simple easy to use T Bolts as shown. The seat bottom area where the sponge is exposed is covered easily with a piece of carpet with velcro. It imparts a clean look. The actual tumble folded seat rests most of its weight on the vehicle floor. And will be secure when the cargo bay has luggage in it. The bungee cord stays are merely for additional stability so that it doesn't fall back. It doesn't exert heavy strain on the front seat head rest.

The only headache is to get there and back which was quite a trek for me.

2. Silencer end-can guard - mild steel. Will protect from roots, small rocks and stone hits. This is from Swastik Fabs. Executed at Auto Style Koramangala.

3. Another thing people do is the dead pedal for the AT vehicles. This is a bad idea for a tall person. It eats up vital 5-6 inches of footwell space in the already cramped Thar footwell which otherwise could be used to stretch one’s foot and be relatively comfortable. I tried fitting it but immediately had it removed because it will actually be a disadvantage for me rather than an enhancement.

Mahindra has copied so much from Jeep Wrangler. But they copied everything in a very ‘surface’ manner. Had they done a little more diligence they could have copied all the lovely functional bits also nicely. Tumble-fold seats and creative storage and arm-rests and all come standard in the Wrangler. They ought to have come standard in the Thar too. After all it professes to be your super functional go anywhere adventure vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-86e21597c2e24ac495d63187463345c6.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-645ae3a4f3fb4a9fb05da9c6df11ee1e.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-83e6d77cc8f3492aa221dc81faa78820.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-bc17a84c9d8544f3a7f010e3f2ec6ae4.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2d3bfcc7567849269f34f8b3dd02b8c7.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-bbc84ded30994a88999ae53114f6511f.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-5ca2e528f26e49fe8445fe683959c94a.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-78aa0cf4c44c4ffeaf71fbfab118f639.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-db0ad0d35ee64aa2805f6cc247962bcf.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (44) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 17:36   #3634
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Small additional work on my Thar. I would consider these essential functional enhancements.

1.Tumble-fold rear seats. This makes for a more use-able cargo bay area. This is from Azad 4x4 Bangalore and executed by them neatly in 2 hours.
Oh man! This is something which is definitely required for Thar. Could you share how much it costed you?

Are the seats secure without bungee cord?

Found one video of something like this, but couldn't really understand what the person was saying. But it looks really functional and easy.

See
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 17:56   #3635
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Oh man! This is something which is definitely required for Thar. Could you share how much it costed you?
Are the seats secure without bungee cord?
Azad charges Rs 5500/-
I would not dispense with the Bungee cord. It will work as a restraint at least.
The cover for the silencer is mild steel and is expensive at Rs 7500/-

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd November 2022 at 17:57.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 22:59   #3636
BHPian

Has anyone added sunroof/moonroof to their Thar?
I just saw an updated design from Bimbra on their social media handle and was curious
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj96YX4h...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=
vellatechie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 01:31   #3637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
I just saw an updated design from Bimbra on their social media handle and was curious
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cj96YX4h...d=MDJmNzVkMjY=
Due to leakage difficulties, DCT (a YouTuberhas done it) advised against it.

He frequently had to run to Bimbra; however, this will also depend on where you reside and how frequently you drive there.
He mostly traveled through hilly, snow-covered, or chilly regions since cold weather changes how rubber reacts.

I live a area similar to this, lot of rain and snow plus black-ice during winters, so people from my village prefer not to use cars with Sunroof because that rubber bidding across the glass or the cut-out will have issues in 3 years to 4 years down the line.
swunkjyn is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 09:13   #3638
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Did you not consider going the used car route?
No man.

1. I am very keen on a product that has matured over 2 years (my rule is to buy Mahindras, Tatas & European cars post 2 years so niggles are sorted).

2. I prefer buying used when the savings are a lot. E.g. my Civic was for 8 lakhs where a new one cost 15 - 16. 530d was for 42.5 lakhs where a new one was 75. But for the Thar, it's a difference of only 2 - 3 lakhs and where I might not get my dream combination (red + convertible + petrol + AT).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post
Since it's just a fun thing for you why not a petrol manual?
1. I am off MTs, unless it's a 911 or something.

2. Ease of driving in the city.

3. My girl & my bhabhi will drive it too if AT.

4. I love Mahindra's AT tuning.

Quote:
Why would you want to intrude on your peace with a zero noise barrier soft top?
Weekend + night time toy & purely a fun car . Makes my family laugh & giggle like no hard-top ever can. Thar will be the 5th car of the house. Pics from last Saturday:
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221029-18.44.16.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221029-19.13.53.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221029-19.20.48.jpg

Thanks for the other advice in your post .

Quote:
converted both front seats to Innova style with integrated armrests and also increased thigh support (must have)
Please do share pictures of these, as well as your exterior mods.

Quote:
After lots of experience with sunroofs, I can tell you it's best done only at the factory level. Not just for the Thar, but for any car.

Last edited by GTO : 3rd November 2022 at 13:33.
GTO is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 15:25   #3639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Thanks for the other advice in your post .

Please do share pictures of these, as well as your exterior mods.
Here are the seats with folding armrests and improved under thigh support. The base cushion of the seat was completely changed retaining the original frame. The armrest was welded onto the frame of the original seat. Do notice on the passenger side lumbar support, it works just like it should.
Also notice at the bottom of the picture the dampening sheet along with Mass loaded vinyl topped with a carpet. I hated the wind noise and heat insulation above 80kmph.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221103_132318.jpg

Bumper with lineX coating. My mom has bumped the car from both sides of it and scratched it. The material is quite good only the lineX came off. The wrangler style grill. Do note there is a little flap right next to the grill and below the fender on either side, it comes with the bumper not the grill. Installing only the grill will leave a gap between panels. Bug deflector is very important if you want to see the road on highways. Get one from mahindra for around 1500 bucks

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221103_131914.jpg

Reinstalled the factory headlights with 130/100 bulbs and relays to go with them. This alongwith xenons in the bumper is a perfect mix of yellow and white. Roof mounted Marker lights, scroll down to see a night shot

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221103_131856.jpg

Neatly integrated tweeters in the A pillar

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221103_132711.jpg

Side profile is pretty much stock except the tints.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221103141102_gallery.jpg

Black kit from mahindra for the side mirror and tail lamp

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221103141029_gallery.jpg

The worst mod I did was put lights in the reflectors, I should have learnt from my creta experience. These are low quality products and not recommended water seeps in and stops working. Do note my 2021 ninja 1000sx

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221103141022_gallery.jpg

Dead pedal below the carpet, installed according to my comfort

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221103140942_gallery.jpg

Knee pads, I will get it stitched in the same colour as my seats later. It is a boon for me as my knee constantly rests on it.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221103140929_gallery.jpg

Grab handles is important for the drivers side especially because you have nothing else to grab other than the steering to "climb" into the Thar

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221103140920_gallery.jpg

My underseat woofer controller. It sits neatly in the storage area infront of the gear lever. I have the amp under the passenger seat and woofer under the driver's seat.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20221103140913_gallery.jpg

Signing off with one of my favorite clicks

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211114_182132_299.jpg
13thpsycho is offline   (46) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 15:26   #3640
BHPian

Quote:
Azad charges Rs 5500/-
Thank you for the reply, sir. Could you share what was altered in the seat? Like is this reversible or do they weld/attach the hinge joints permanently under the seat after cutting from the frame underneath?

I talked to Bimbra 4x4 Gurgaon, they are asking 11k for the same, but their seats have slide function as well. This is from their brochure:

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20221103-15.23.41.png
batish is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 17:21   #3641
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Thank you for the reply, sir. Could you share what was altered in the seat? Like is this reversible or do they weld/attach the hinge joints permanently under the seat after cutting from the frame underneath?

]
Yes they replace the OEM joints with hinged joints. This is a minor job and neatly executed.
You can reach out direct to Azad 4x4 for more details. In this specific matter I didnt like the Bimbra solution. It involved additional stabiliser pipes and all to keep the seat in place. Too cumbersome. I preferred the Azad one for my kind of use case.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 01:26   #3642
BHPian

What are your recommendations for suspension replacement for Thar? Someone mentioned about IronMan as an option as well.

After my 10k service, I do want to get damping and suspension done. Along with the Azad seat folding bit shared above

Quote:
After lots of experience with sunroofs, I can tell you it's best done only at the factory level. Not just for the Thar, but for any car.
Thank you
vellatechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 04:25   #3643
BANNED

Quote:
What are your recommendations for suspension replacement for Thar? Someone mentioned about IronMan as an option as well.

After my 10k service, I do want to get damping and suspension done. Along with the Azad seat folding bit shared above

Thank you
I have said this before and will say it again. AVO is excellent. Ive installed it well over a year and more ago and it has proven to be an excellent investment in comfort and handling.
No more swaying.
No more nose diving.
No more sharp pitching.
No more wobbling.
Great composure over rumble strips and rutted areas.
Excellent confidence on those long sweeping curves on highways when doing 80-90kmph.
Settings: 12 in front. 13 at rear.

Don’t ask me to pen down how to set it. Its easy enough to do but a bit hard to describe in words.

My hearty recommendation is look no further than AVO. After all, it is an initiative by Ace Rallyist Leelakrishnan. And believe me, its worth it!

I am just a happy customer. I have no commercial interest in this product.
shankar.balan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 13:31   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
I have said this before and will say it again. AVO is excellent.
Settings: 12 in front. 13 at rear.

My hearty recommendation is look no further than AVO. After all, it is an initiative by Ace Rallyist Leelakrishnan. And believe me, its worth it!

I am just a happy customer. I have no commercial interest in this product.
True that. I got this in my Thar couple of week back and running at 13 front and 15 rear as advised by fellow bhpian @navpreet318 and Thar actually is running like a Car.
alokk0912 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 4th November 2022, 18:15   #3645
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I prefer buying used when the savings are a lot. E.g. my Civic was for 8 lakhs where a new one cost 15 - 16. 530d was for 42.5 lakhs where a new one was 75. But for the Thar, it's a difference of only 2 - 3 lakhs and where I might not get my dream combination (red + convertible + petrol + AT).
Just to tempt you a little, there's a red convertible petrol AT Thar in Mumbai with not too many miles on the clock on our classifieds

https://classifieds.team-bhp.com/buy...dra/Thar.html/

The price is high but I suspect you might be able to get yourself a sweet deal with some haggling. I have no affiliation with this seller btw.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 4th November 2022 at 18:19.
McLaren Rulez is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks