Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2022, 05:02   #3676
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I paid some 10K for it. Paint quality was Okish but since this is an ABS unit there won't be much problem in the finish quality since the die itself gives the surface good quality.
Is the JK Grille easily available down South? I just havent seen any. Here the JL grilles are very common but there is no place to mount the OEM Mahindra logo.
Then, I like the plain matte black unpainted grille because it resembles that of the less frilly Willys Sport. If I can find this JK grille here I will replicate what you have done on your Thar because that is the look that I like. It pays homage to the origins of the vehicle and to the Mahindra brand too and thats what I like very much about it.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 15:47   #3677
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
1. Thanks for the detailed + helpful post! Are your folding armrests as comfy as the ones in the old Scorpio?

2. Also, any reviews of the Bimbra armrest?

3. Which bumper have you got? FRP? Or metal? I am keen on a bumper swap, but don't want to affect the airbag functionality, hence more keen on FRP.

I L-O-V-E your LED headlamps. Guess you also got brighter LED lights on the fenders, and foglamps?

What is the best source for these if quality (not price) is a priority?
My armrests are perfect! just enough padding. I haven't really experienced the Scorpio one, so can't comment. There are two drawbacks to my armrest. 1. It reclines with the seat so you need to install the armrest according to your seating position which IMO is quite personalised. 2. There is a nut just like the one in our car wheels inside the leather wrapped cover on the side, it is easily accessible, after repeated up and down movement it becomes loose, so I have to tighten it from time to time, hardly takes 30 secs to do it.

Bumper is FRP, tried and tested by Bimbra. According to them the airbag sensors are in place, it should function normally. I have P8 HID in my bumper. They are pretty good works for high and low beam as well. I would suggest getting one from Bimbra if you are getting the bumper. They will give you a mounting bracket which holds the setup in place. I had to get one fabricated for mine, its a thicker unit compared to theirs. Please note the bracket is important otherwise it will keep on shaking and disturb the cars infront of you.

About the Bimbra armrest they are quite good but it eats into your cup holders. Thar is already constrained on storage spaces and I for one, would not want to give away anything.

Glad you love the LEDs but to be honest its all show and no go! The throw was very poor. Since my mom also drives the SUV I decided on getting better lights for her ageing eyes. Now the jeep looks kind of stock yet butch!

My next upgrades are suspension, small bar light or 2x hella 700FF, speaker setup for the rear along with a secondary amplifier. I am waiting for the 5 year warranty to go by so that I can have a valvetronic free flow exhaust, ecu remap and lastly wheels and tyres.

Cheers!
13thpsycho is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2022, 21:58   #3678
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13thpsycho View Post

Signing off with one of my favorite clicks

Attachment 2374772
1 word for those roof mounted marker lights, Daaaamn . Looks absolutely stunning at night .
yatesh.92 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 01:29   #3679
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Can someone please tell me what exactly is "Tow Hitch Protection"? I could not find anything about it online.
Can you guys please confirm whether this is present in our models? This is where frame for towing hook can be attached. I read somewhere that this has been removed from some models.

It would be great if this can be confirmed from few members.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20221114-01.26.22.png

Other than this I have not been able to find what exactly is Tow Hitch Protection. If anybody knows, please share.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2022, 11:05   #3680
udy
BHPian

Guys, looks like there has been another silent update from Mahindra on the Thar. I just took delivery of my Thar over the weekend and now even the Automatics have the Auto Engine Start/Stop option with the switch added to the buttons under the Steering.

Initially they had added this feature only for the Manual versions as far as I know and now looks like the Automatic ones have got them too.
udy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 13:45   #3681
Senior - BHPian

Guys need advice.

Last weekend did my first long distance trip in my Thar P AT HT from Hyderabad to Coonoor and back. Coonoor to Hyderabad was straight non stop.
Now i need help regarding neck/shoulder strain I got while doing this trip. Since it does not have reach adjustment in steering hence I am not able to find a perfect seating position on driver seat. My neck and shoulder were paining like hell.
I have never ever got this issue in my other highway cruiser (XUV500) even when I did Non Stop Delhi to Hyderabad drive. But in Thar I am not comfortable.

Anyone using any neck/shoulder support in their Thar? Or have used in any other car and highly recommend any particular product?
nitinralli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 14:25   #3682
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by udy View Post
Guys, Auto Engine Start/Stop option with the switch added to the buttons under the Steering.

Initially they had added this feature only for the Manual versions as far as I know and now looks like the Automatic ones have got them too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Guys need advice.

Last weekend did my first long distance trip in my Thar P AT HT from Hyderabad to Coonoor and back. Coonoor to Hyderabad was straight non stop.
Now i need help regarding neck/shoulder strain I got while doing this trip.
Anyone using any neck/shoulder support in their Thar? Or have used in any other car and highly recommend any particular product?
1. Good addition of this engine auto start stop. It may help save fuel and reduce emissions.

2. Ref neck pain. Best go to an upholsterer and have the seat squab padded up for additional support for the lower back and upper back and introduce a neck pillow at the base of the headrest OR wear one of those semi-circular gel or jelly bean filled travel neck cushions such as what we use for long distance air travel, when driving your Thar.
And take frequent breaks to stretch. Thats very important.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 15:16   #3683
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinralli View Post
Now i need help regarding neck/shoulder strain I got while doing this trip. Since it does not have reach adjustment in steering hence I am not able to find a perfect seating position on driver seat. My neck and shoulder were paining like hell.
Perhaps you may not need to throw money at this.

Spend some time and find out at what seating position you are able to take the weight off your shoulder as well as your neck should not be sticking forward. Sometimes you need to increase the seat height, sometimes bring the steering recline down, pull the seat base foward or backwards, seat back reclined forward or backwards etc

In my old Thar there are no steering adjustments, So I increased the seat height using some lug nuts and it helped me rest my right hand on the window sill, taking weight off my shoulder. The seat back recline angle too is important as you should not be sticking your neck forward while sitting to level your face towards where you are heading. The increased seat height also means my entire body weight is supported from my rear end to my knee by the seat base.

Long distance driving in Thar is easy and fatigue free.

Edit : Just want to add that some exercise to strengthen bits that are needed to aid driving will help, we are not getting any younger.
Kosfactor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 16:41   #3684
BHPian

Hi, Could you please share the image of your Thar with the Start/Stop Button. I am also in the process of buying one in NCR. Here in Delhi the dealers are ignorant about the new addition of Push Button start/stop switch. Also I wanted to go in for Red colour but I have been told by the dealer that he has a mystic copper. I believe the Mystic Copper was discontinued about six months back. Request the BHPians to confirm. Thanks
manver786 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2022, 23:17   #3685
BHPian

Ironman 4x4 has announced new suspension kit for Thar 2020. I have messaged them for details. Itl be nice to see how this stacks against ARC and AVO .
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_2022_1115_231122.jpg  

Last edited by vellatechie : 15th November 2022 at 23:18.
vellatechie is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 00:47   #3686
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Ironman 4x4 has announced new suspension kit for Thar 2020. I have messaged them for details. Itl be nice to see how this stacks against ARC and AVO .
This is nice to know.

ARC is for 65000 now, they have launched the Version 2 of their ARC suspension. But there has been a horror story of a user experience posted here already.

EVO is being used by Shankar Bhai and he is very happy with it, it costs 1.2L and comes with the complete kit of Coil Spring too.

This, we are yet to see, on how it performs in real world. I hope they price it right.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th November 2022 at 16:55. Reason: minor correction.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 11:27   #3687
BHPian

Quote:
This is costing 1.1 lakh for complete kit.
It also provides some 1.5inch lift.

Need someone to compare them and post a drive report.
techfreak is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 15:45   #3688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
This is costing 1.1 lakh for complete kit.
It also provides some 1.5inch lift.

Need someone to compare them and post a drive report.
1.5inch lift in the front. Unlike AVO doesn't have the springs. Apparently it's lot bigger than the stock as well. Comes with a 3yr 60km warranty.
vellatechie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 17:07   #3689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ironman 4x4 has announced new suspension kit for Thar 2020
Very interesting to see these from Ironman for a vehicle which is not a global product, like the Gypsy (Samurai), Fortuner, D-Max, MU-X, Pajero, Everest, etc. Was this specifically developed for the Indian market, with requisite testing done on an actual Thar 2020? If so, I am impressed and kudos to them for catering to an Indian brand/product.

Last edited by cool_dube : 16th November 2022 at 17:13.
cool_dube is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 16th November 2022, 17:12   #3690
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
If so, I am impressed and kudos to them for catering to an Indian brand/product.
Yes usually they do development vehicle specific and I had heard this is under development few months back. So I guess it should work well on a Thar and look forward to reviews.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks