Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2024, 00:03   #5176
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Hello everyone, we just bought a Pre-owned Thar LX D AT for my father and for weekend use by me as well. The car has some low-quality unaligned white bulbs with the stock headlights installed.

Please suggest me a better headlight assembly. There are too many Chinese headlights in the market so it’s fairly confusing.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 30th May 2024 at 15:48. Reason: Edited
Old 25th May 2024, 08:49   #5177
BHPian

Eagerly waiting for the thar 3 door relaunch! Hope they do it along with the launch of the thar 5 door.

Have been holding on to my ‘purchasing’ horses for a while now. If all goes well this will be the e second Mahindra at home , other being XUV AWD.

Guess am trying to find answers on why anyone would buy a thar when one has xuv AWD , but that’s a head vs heart question !
Old 25th May 2024, 13:32   #5178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
If anyone is ever around Mussoorie, do take the Steep road opposite the main gate of Jaypee. It is an experience I tell you!!
Apologies for the bump -- 3 years late! Yes, that is the Barlowgunj short-cut people use to skip the Mussoorie Doon highway and land up right below Wyneberg School. That climb. Gosh. Never seen such an ascent anywhere in my life, that too with bends. It can kill the clutch if not done properly. Many times I have seen tourists stuck, then a localite gets them through. BTW, the Mulingar climb is just as bad. Really bad.

Oh, to the wonderful members here. Picked up an HT Red Petrol Auto 4x4 yesterday at Gurgaon. Only driven it back home. Will posts pictures once free from some urgent family matters. Thanks to all here, it was a great decision my family and I made. Apart from the robust product offering, teamBhp has been instrumental for this beautiful, well made machine to join our garage!

Last edited by asingh1977 : 25th May 2024 at 13:42.
asingh1977 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 16:56   #5179
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchnelleKurven View Post
Eagerly waiting for the thar 3 door relaunch! Hope they do it along with the launch of the thar 5 door.

Have been holding on to my ‘purchasing’ horses for a while now. If all goes well this will be the e second Mahindra at home , other being XUV AWD.

Guess am trying to find answers on why anyone would buy a thar when one has xuv AWD , but that’s a head vs heart question !
As a Thar owner myself I would suggest don't buy Thar especially if you have XUV. You'll hate it's ride quality. I have upgraded to AVO suspension still it's very very bad and simply unacceptable. It's very bouncy below 30kmph and a bit more acceptable above that. The rear seat passenger will curse you. Please do a long test drive in multiple road conditions and then you decide. Don't go by your heart on a 21 lakhs vehicle and regret as I do now.
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 00:35   #5180

Greetings.
Would anybody recommend taking a Thar 1.5 Diesel for off-roading?
I’m planning on going to a mild off-roading trail with two other Thars, and both of them are RWD diesel. It’s not going to be a hardcore off-road, but still, we wouldn’t want to get stuck.
Tips and suggestions are welcome.
Old 29th May 2024, 18:08   #5181
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
As a Thar owner myself I would suggest don't buy Thar especially if you have XUV. You'll hate it's ride quality. I have upgraded to AVO suspension still it's very very bad and simply unacceptable. It's very bouncy below 30kmph and a bit more acceptable above that. The rear seat passenger will curse you. Please do a long test drive in multiple road conditions and then you decide. Don't go by your heart on a 21 lakhs vehicle and regret as I do now.
Thank you, that’s an interesting insight. I have test driven the RWD thar and yes found the ride choppy at slow speeds but I had heard the 2023 thar and the ones with AVO ride better.

A long test drive beckons then
SchnelleKurven is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 18:42   #5182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Makes perfect sense to me. One is a comfortable tourer while the other is a go-anywhere rugged offroad vehicle.

Contemplating getting a Thar as a secondary vehicle too if they make significant updates to the 3 door or release the electric one any time soon. Or else will buy a used 3 door to go with the Hycross
Cresterk is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 20:08   #5183
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you, that’s an interesting insight. I have test driven the RWD thar and yes found the ride choppy at slow speeds but I had heard the 2023 thar and the ones with AVO ride better.

A long test drive beckons then

Mine is 2023 D AT HT. 2023 suspension is only slightly better on pot holes but AVO on highways it is solid. OEM suspension is very soft and floaty even on good roads and not a confidence inspiring one. But my highway usage is only 30%. With XUV you will only regret as you will swap between the two and the flaws will be actually pronounced more. I have a X1 2022. I suffer the two extremes as well
sgmuser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 20:41   #5184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmuser View Post
Mine is 2023 D AT HT. 2023 suspension is only slightly better on pot holes but AVO on highways it is solid. OEM suspension is very soft and floaty even on good roads and not a confidence inspiring one. But my highway usage is only 30%. With XUV you will only regret as you will swap between the two and the flaws will be actually pronounced more. I have a X1 2022. I suffer the two extremes as well
Oh wow, the two extremes you have are nice cars to suffer from!

But I get it; this is a classic head vs. heart decision. Maybe should have bought the thar in place of the XUV 700 AWD. I find myself staring at the Thars (white/black) in the office parking lots and on the roads.

I have a long association with the base platform of Thar. Many years back, I was a young engineer working on the Mahindra Army MM540 / 550 jeep platform. Nothing beats that; that olive green colour, sand rated tyres, 4WD, specific army fitments. Absolutely no creature comforts. Felt indestructible.

Whenever I used to drive the Army jeep, people would stop and stare in awe. As a young twentyish something kid, that was a total kick. Though I was grounded enough to attribute the reaction only to the jeep. Sadly, don’t have a photo of that Army Jeep.

Now, guess the attraction to the Thar is symptomatic of a mid life crisis

Last edited by Axe77 : 29th May 2024 at 21:01. Reason: Caps. Spacing.
SchnelleKurven is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 22:28   #5185
BHPian

Hi all, though it has been more than one week of deep forest colour launch for Thar but none of the dealers in Mumbai seem to have real life picture of Thar in new colour. Anyone here has the picture?

Thanks.
Old 30th May 2024, 15:37   #5186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all, though it has been more than one week of deep forest colour launch for Thar but none of the dealers in Mumbai seem to have real life picture of Thar in new colour. Anyone here has the picture?

Thanks.
My dealer / SA was not at all aware of the deep forest colour until I shared a screenshot from Mahindra Site. Till now they don't have any solid info on the same.
Old 30th May 2024, 20:13   #5187
Senior - BHPian

Totally get this sentiment! Was in the same boat until wife okayed the decision to buy the Thar!!

But since we had parking constraints and we were moving from Seltos to the Thar, we took a very long test drive in the usual roads that we commute on a daily basis including some curves and bad sections of road etc. Once we were convinced we let go of the Seltos and got the Thar HT D AT 4X4 home. From then on, for our family of 3 it is the perfect GT vehicle and it has already crossed 16500kms in less than 6 months.

I use it on well laid expressway between Bangalore and Coorg every week (Hybrid work) travelling alone. As a family, we have travelled on twisty sections with bad patchy roads as well as roads with pot holes, and on the Udupi-Marvanthe beach stretch of highways, Bangalore to Hyderabad twice etc. In fact in one instance, we drove from Udupi to Gonikoppal in Coorg (close to 250kms) and after an hours break and dropping the family, I left to Bangalore on the same day (another 250kms). Did not experience any fatigue or body aches etc.

So, it is a very personal thing specially with such lifestyle vehicles. Since you too, fascinate this body shape but also like the practicality it offers, do take a long test drive and check if it works for you or not.

I am still on the stock suspension and it is working well for the conditions we are using it in. In fact wife and 13-year old son find it very comfortable on slightly bumpy sections as it is not felt inside at highway speeds. They comment that it is very comfortable to travel even further than Hyderabad in a single stretch.

All the best with your decision and hope a Thar finds it way into your home!!

Quote:
But I get it; this is a classic head vs. heart decision. Maybe should have bought the thar in place of the XUV 700 AWD. I find myself staring at the Thars (white/black) in the office parking lots and on the roads.
abhinav.s is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 10:57   #5188
BHPian

Hi,

I'm planning to approach the consumer court against Mahindra. Can anyone help me with how i should proceed?

The problem is for the last 8 months they have not been able to fix a simple rear quarter panel which was damaged in October 2023.

Their dealer in indore Somya Vehicles has been incapable of fixing it despite it going to them repeatedly over the last months.

They have even managed to ruin other unaffected parts like the parking sensors (probably on purpose to increase the bill)

Yesterday it crossed all limits when again they were unable to fix the issues and at their workshop, the manager started arguing and shouting. I had visited after getting a call from them that the vehicle is ready and i should inspect it.

I love the Thar but have lost all faith in Mahindra as even their local service representatives have not been able to resolve.
Old 6th June 2024, 13:35   #5189
Bit
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinavsureka View Post
Hi,

I'm planning to approach the consumer court against Mahindra. Can anyone help me with how i should proceed?

The problem is for the last 8 months they have not been able to fix a simple rear quarter panel which was damaged in October 2023.

Their dealer in indore Somya Vehicles has been incapable of fixing it despite it going to them repeatedly over the last months.

They have even managed to ruin other unaffected parts like the parking sensors (probably on purpose to increase the bill)

Yesterday it crossed all limits when again they were unable to fix the issues and at their workshop, the manager started arguing and shouting. I had visited after getting a call from them that the vehicle is ready and i should inspect it.

I love the Thar but have lost all faith in Mahindra as even their local service representatives have not been able to resolve.
Somya vehicles have listed the number of service supervisors and higher-up officials in their workshop, it is just next to the TV at the reception area.

Last time I had similar issue and I took the number and scolded some M. Khan, which seemed to do the job and I didn't need to go higher ups. Maybe you can try the same.
Bit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 14:05   #5190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bit View Post
Somya vehicles have listed the number of service supervisors and higher-up officials in their workshop, it is just next to the TV at the reception area.

Last time I had similar issue and I took the number and scolded some M. Khan, which seemed to do the job and I didn't need to go higher ups. Maybe you can try the same.
The Mahindra company representatives also havent done much.

Already spoken to everyone and still not resolved hence i'm planning to take legal action.

They lack the capability and intention to work honestly.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks