Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2024, 18:05   #5071

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

New Mahindra Thar Earth Edition Launched.
Petrol: MT - 15.40 AT - 16.99
DIESEL: MT - 16.15 AT - 17.60
(all figures are in lakhs)Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20240227_180211.jpg
Autobiography is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 20:15   #5072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Please list the jobs performed before making such a comparison. For instance, spark plugs could be a part of the petrol but definitely not applicable to diesel.
I have a diesel version which just underwent 40k service and I was curious to understand what are the additional work items applicable to the petrol warranting such high costs or in case this is just some error on the website. Infact seems like it is not just for 40k, but for most of the other milestone services.
Tourer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th February 2024, 20:19   #5073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
1. The whole thing with the wiper washer....(cropped). This is a fiddly job and am not sure it can quite as easily be retro fitted or ‘ported’.
2. The disc brakes have a whole lot of other things connected,.... (cropped again) This is a dangerous thing to DIY or allow someone in an FNG to do.
Yessir, I will
1. Wait for other adventurous folk to do such work.
2. ABS sensors should work regardless.
3. I'm leaving the skill to Raj Kapoor and the sorts... I will not take spanners to safety gear myself! He helped reform my Thar last month quite successfully.
4. Also, tons of scorpio N Z2 buyers now have rear working spray and wipe solutions via OE parts. Thank you KAROL BAGH!
wooka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th February 2024, 11:44   #5074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post

By the way does anyone know if this site / product is reliable? https://auxbeam.in/products/3-inch-1...projector-lens

P. S. : I'm not spending anything over 15k on headlights from here. There I'll be upgrades to port over from the 5D to the 3D thar. One must cap their jeep expenses, or so I keep telling myself!
I have a Auxbeam LED bar with which i am super happy. Didnt buy from this site but got it from US at Half the prices mentioned on this site. You can go for it if prices suits you.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_7950.jpeg
nitinralli is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th February 2024, 11:30   #5075
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinayak View Post
After silently lurking a lot on this forum, finally took the plunge. Bought a 16000KM run, pre-owned Thar AT Diesel (Mystic Copper) from Spinny.
Bangalore spring blooms make it look even more special.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-100004712401.jpeg  

sachinayak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2024, 09:21   #5076
Bit
BHPian

I noticed an interesting change while browsing the official Thar page. The famous “Napoli Black” color which is the signature name of Mahindra’s Black SUVs, has been replaced with “Stealth Black”.

Is this just a name change or there is some change in the shade as well? Does anyone know what shade is “Stealth Black” actually and if it’s different than Napoli Black?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_2933.jpeg  

Old 2nd March 2024, 22:08   #5077
BHPian

VAISHNU 3” YELLOW FOG LAMPS INSTALLED ON MY THAR

My year-long search for a suitable OEM replacement ‘yellow’ fog lamp ended recently after I discovered this Indian auto light manufacturer called Vaishnu. The company has over 50 years of experience in the automotive lighting & electrical component industry; they offer a wide variety of lights & wiring harnesses for motorcycles & few 4-wheelers. After seeing quite a few positive reviews online, I decided to take a plunge and try their universal 3-inch fog lamp. The product details (as mentioned on their website) are as follows:
• MODEL: 3 Inch Round Fog lamps
• INCLUSIONS: 2 Units of Matt Black Fog Lights + H8/ H16 Wiring Harness with Switch
• FITMENT: H8/ H11
• WATTAGE/ PAIR: 70 Watts (35 Watts Per light)
• RAW LUMENS: 9200 Lm/ Set (4600 Lm/ Light)
• POWER CONSUMPTION: 5.3 Amps (+-5%)/ Pair
• 1 LUX DISTANCE: 350 Metres
• IP RATING: IP67
• LED SOURCE: Bridgelux USA
• OPERATING LIFE: 50,000 Hrs | OPERATING TEMPERATURES: -40 Degrees C ~ +80 Degrees C
• WARRANTY: 1 Year
• HOUSING COLOR: Matt Black
• GLASS: Yellow
• COLOR TEMPERATURE: 3300k

I went for their combo kit that includes these lights & H8/H16 wiring harness. The order was placed directly on their website. The shipment arrived at my location in Mumbai in 3 days. Link: https://vaishnu.com/product/vaishnu-...r-cars-yellow/
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-vaishnu-packaging.jpg

To mount these on the Thar’s fog lamp housing, I ordered a pair of mounting brackets/adaptors online. Got these from www.automods.in; Link: https://automods.in/product/fog-ligh...-2020-onwards/
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-fog-lamp-bracket.jpg

Installation was done at a trusted local accessory store. The package came with detailed instruction for the wiring harness.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-vaishnu-fog-lamp-wiring-instructions_1.jpg

OEM Thar fog lamps and its unique mounting bracket design.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-oem-fog-lamp.jpg

Post installation look of the Vaishnu fog lamps.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20240302-9.56.38-pm.jpeg

Switch provided by Vaishnu placed at a discrete location. It can now be operated independent of the headlight mode.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-vaishnu-fog-lamp-switch.jpg

Few pics taken in my parking space with the lights switched on.
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-roxy-front-lights.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-roxy-all-lights-side-view.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-vaishnu-fog-light-throw-parking.jpg

Looking forward to test these out in proper foggy weather!

Last edited by Nair.V8 : 2nd March 2024 at 22:36.
Nair.V8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 14:36   #5078
BHPian

Nice Work @Nair.V8

While I did not miss Amber Fog lamps this winter in Agra but it is good to have them. The White LED scatters alot in Fog as I have the same Stedi unit like yours.

Stedi is beautiful and bulbs don’t conk off like the high power halogens did but the scatter in Fog and rain is making me think about getting my fogs upgraded with amber being one option or a warm halogen / yellow Led projector being another.

Why did you not opt for the projector set up ?
Urorobo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 17:54   #5079
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
Nice Work @Nair.V8

While I did not miss Amber Fog lamps this winter in Agra but it is good to have them. The White LED scatters alot in Fog as I have the same Stedi unit like yours.

Stedi is beautiful and bulbs don’t conk off like the high power halogens did but the scatter in Fog and rain is making me think about getting my fogs upgraded with amber being one option or a warm halogen / yellow Led projector being another.

Why did you not opt for the projector set up ?
Thanks Urorobo. I too love the Stedi's, been very happy with their performance in most driving conditions. For the fog lamps I opted for reflector's because all auxillary fog lamps on offer are reflectors as well. I got these lights to specifically function as 'fog' lights!
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 18:45   #5080
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Thanks Urorobo. I too love the Stedi's, been very happy with their performance in most driving conditions. For the fog lamps I opted for reflector's because all auxillary fog lamps on offer are reflectors as well. I got these lights to specifically function as 'fog' lights!
In really thick fog , we have to turn off the headlamp - use only the fog lamp to see where the shoulder of the road is and with that in mind more light isn't going to help!

Keep a pair of H8 halogen 35W Osram bulbs handy, once they used to cost a bomb nowadays affordable.

What was the bulb in stock Fog lamps? I don't know which one they use now. Also BHPian LeoShashi's Valeo upgrade is worth looking at, very nicely made fog lamp assembly they are.
Kosfactor is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 10:45   #5081
BHPian

Hi folks,

Last week visit Jibhi/Shoja (HP) in my Thar CT (RED) AT. The climbed effortlessly on the last stretch which had some steep gradient. We trekked to Jalori Pass as the roads after Shoja were closed by authorities but still took it little higher till wherever the road permitted. At some of the stretches there was need to engage 4x4. Overall the trip was enjoyable with lots of snow.

The mileage on the last stretch with off and on 4x4 was 4 kmpl and overall trip average was about 9.8 with spirited driving on some stretches.

I am thoroughly enjoying the brief drives on the CT (Red) which attracts attention everytime it hits the road.

Regards
manver786 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 17:27   #5082
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786 View Post
Hi folks,

Last week visit Jibhi/Shoja (HP) in my Thar CT (RED) AT.
Would love to see some pics please. It would be refreshing for the thread and it’s viewers.

Regards
Old 13th March 2024, 11:25   #5083
Bit
BHPian

Spent more time flip-flopping between Thar petrol and diesel than a penguin on a hot beach as many of you might know from my previous post! But thanks to TeamBHP, finally pulled the trigger on Thar Petrol AT RWD and now cruising in style with the black beauty. Who needs a compass when you've got a forum full of car aficionados!

The car is March 2024 manufacturer (latest batch). Any questions about the purchase or the purchase process will be answered with the best of my efforts.

Now my query to fellow Thar owners: What are some of the accessories that are suggested to be procured from the showroom itself instead of aftermarket? Mahindra accessories that offer better quality/fitment than third party ones?

Or to flip the question: Any Thar accessories that are never to be fitted from showroom due to their aftermarket counterparts being better value proposition?

Thanks again community!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3065n.jpg  

Bit is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 11:23   #5084

Hey Guys , Hope everyone is doing well. this is my first ever post on this wonderful forum. After years of just logging on to Team BHP for bits and piece automobile news, the excellently detailed and unbiased car reviews I am finally coming out of passive mode and making my first active entry.

The reason for this being the latest chapter in my relatively short (16 Years) automobile journey. The new chapter being the Mahindra Thar Petrol AT 4WD HT Grey that I am taking delivery of 2 days from now.

This purchase decision was purely an emotional one as I am going from an European Semi-Luxury Sedan (2016 Skoda Superb 1.8 TSI DSG) to a Indian made Jeep. The family thought i was bonkers , but the heart wants what it wants. GTO's thread on his Thar experience and certain other ownership threads on the Thar were a big part in influencing this decision.

The Thar would be replacing the Superb and Joining my Sonet (X LINE DCT) in my two car garage. The Sonet would be the primary car for all practical purposes with the Thar being the weekend toy.

I would love to post a more detailed thread on my ownership experience in the future but for now would like some advice from fellow Thar owners .

I am getting the below OE and non OE Accessories done at the dealer level
OE Accessories:
  1. Reverse Camera
  2. Front Parking Sensor
  3. Rear Arm Rest ( Not getting the front arm rest as i am not a fan of the OE front arm rest)
  4. Rear door Tray

Non OE Accessories
  1. Bimbra body colour grill
  2. Proman grab handle
  3. Proman door hinge
  4. Alloy painted black

Please let me know if there is anything else you would advice as a must in term of accessories/upgrades

Secondly the thing that I am most confused about is TYREs. My driving is 85% City 10 % highway and 5 % Offroad ( Presumptive number as i have never offloaded before and hope to enter that world with the Thar).

From an aesthetic point of view the thing that has my heart is the MAXXIS 980 AT 285/60/R18 tyres that i would like to strap on the stock alloy (Painted black). Is this a bit of overkill if so what would be the downside of this in relation to my usage pattern.

I am eagerly looking forward to your responses and thanks in advance.

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2024 at 12:37.
Scarface1506 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 08:36   #5085

Shockingly I have found biggest QC failure in the new Thar and Mahindra needs to recall these vehicles.

30 days ago I bought the new Thar 4wd (Everest White). After few days i noticed a hairline crack in the paint over two joints. (check the pictures with 4x4 badging). Most of my friends suggested that i should escalate the matter as this could happen only if the vehicle is repainted. I raised the issue with Mahindra over X. The matter got highlighted and the concerned dealer called me over for a check. I was shocked to know that almost all the vehicles with Everest white colour had the same issue.

I checked one RWD Thar which was getting ready for delivery at the showroom and found even worse. The cracks in this car were longer than mine did. (picture attached with RWD badge). The dealer looked helpless and so did i. My concern is how do these vehicles pass the quality check? If repainting is offered that would definitely devalue the car since it's brand new. Should Mahindra not call back these vehicles for a factory repaint? I request all the Thar owners to check their vehicles and escalate the issue on a major scale. i am totally disappointed and feeling helpless afte one month of buying the vehicle.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photooutput.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3409.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-photooutput.jpeg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_3396.jpeg

Last edited by ampere : 15th March 2024 at 12:38.
MIR_FAISAL is offline   (13) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks