Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2022, 19:43   #3841
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I
While the material and labor seems fine, the cost of the sealant is double what I was billed.

I've driven around in heavy rains after this, and it's good to go!
My Thar is still in the workshop. The sealant is yet to
dry. And we are having a right wet spell in Bangalore as a fall out of the Chennai Cyclone. Luckily Im put of town for a couple days so I ve asked them to hang on to the vehicle till I return. Let it rest and dry till then.
After I get it back next week, I will re-start the debate on CR70 on the inside of the front windshield. To be or Not to be…
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 22:44   #3842
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjagga View Post
To all those who are interested got this WhatsApp from my local Mahindra Dealer today:
Have they added Automatic Climate Control in the Thar now? As far as I know, even the top end LX modes did not have this. Maybe the dealer creating this advertisement went a bit overboard while preparing the “features list”!
84.monsoon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 23:07   #3843
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Have they added Automatic Climate Control in the Thar now? As far as I know, even the top end LX modes did not have this. Maybe the dealer creating this advertisement went a bit overboard while preparing the “features list”!
Automatic Climate Control in the Thar?
Well, ‘Open the Windows and let the weather in!”
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 23:07   #3844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
To be or Not to be…
My take is "..not to be"

The rake angle of the windshield would warrant a few more replacements during the vehicle's lifetime, esp. when on highways - it's pretty much impossible to avoid getting a hit, and almost everyone in my circle has had a replacement, or have bunch of chip marks that they're just waiting for it to finally give up.

The other option is something like Clearplex to protect the external face of the windshield from damages, but the quote for that was almost 2x what I paid for the windshield, the official word from the company guys is you'll need to replace it in 3 to 5 years. So not cost effective.

For now, I've let it be - I'd say drive around till summer, take a call then if you need CR70...
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th December 2022, 23:52   #3845
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My take is "..not to be"

The rake angle of the windshield would warrant a few more replacements during the vehicle's lifetime, So not cost effective.

For now, I've let it be - I'd say drive around till summer, take a call then if you need CR70...
I had actually put CR70 as soon as I bought the vehicle. Been using it for 22 months. And this is the first time in 35 years of driving that I have encountered a stone chip/ stone cracked windshield.
Let it come back after this replacement job. Then I will figure whether it is worth it or not.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 09:44   #3846

Rattling noise while Stopped in Drive Mode in my Petrol Auto

I need help identify a low level rattling noise emanating from the transmission area whenever I’m in Drive Mode and stopped (the brake is not slipping). The noise seems to vanishing once the car gets going. The noise is not loud but I can definitely hear it with the AC blower and stereo off. This is something like a change in engine tone (but the additional tone is a rattle like some thing small is loose and vibrating) when I go from N to D or N to R. The change in sound can be heard outside the car as well and seems to be coming from the transmission area itself.

If someone can check their Automatic Thar for a similar noise, it will be of much help before I take the vehicle to the SC. I can’t even confirm when the noise was originally there or it has cropped up new.
Old 11th December 2022, 13:49   #3847
BHPian

Guys. Urgent. I got a call from my SA yesterday that a black Thar D AT HT is available immediately if I want it.

Now a brief info about me. I presently own a 2016 Creta D M and was looking for an upgrade as it has completed 1.2Lac Kms till now. I have a XUV 700 AX7L AWD and Scorpio N booking both due around June ‘23. I am also looking for a used Fortuner/Crysta under 20L. Scorpio Classic is also a car close to my heart.

My usage is 80% highway/expressways, majorly chauffeur driven with me on the front passenger seat. I am 28 and very much single. My usage is 20-30k kms a year. And at present I am limiting myself to under 20L budget. I agree that I will not be using this car for it’s intended usage, but heart wants what it wants. So here are a few questions -
1. How comfortable/uncomfortable am I going to be for my intended usage? Say if I go for AVO suspensions, then how will the ride quality be if compared to other cars or my existing one?
2. How reliable is it for those 600-700 kms continuous drives?
3. What points can I give to my family to justify my purchase? Sorry if this sounds too immature.
4. How is Scorpio Classic compared to Thar considering they both have the same engine?

Thanks a lot everyone in advance.
Old 11th December 2022, 14:53   #3848
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhrai View Post
I don't think anything can go haywire in just 600-700 drive. Neither your suspension or your vehicle will give up.

Quote:
3. What points can I give to my family to justify my purchase? Sorry if this sounds too immature.
Haha I don't think they'd ask for your justification. It's a vehicle for 2 people or 2+1. It's a heart decision nothing seems logical in this unless you want an off-roading vehicle.

Quote:
4. How is Scorpio Classic compared to Thar considering they both have the same engine?
It is sort of family car as it can seat much more people than Thar. On the other hand Thar is mainly 2 seater with some luggage. You'll have to spend quite some money to get comfortable with this, like for suspension, speakers are way below average, mats, other accessories etc. It's a deep down pit whereas you won't need much to spend on Scorpio.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 19:41   #3849
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am 28 and very much single. My usage is 20-30k kms a year. And at present I am limiting myself to under 20L budget.
Just go for it!

You'll never get a better circumstance than these that I've quoted

Look up my ownership thread, you'll have detailed answers to #1 and #2, maybe a bit of #3 too in the initial/ booking part.

While Scorpio Classic is a brilliant vehicle for it's purpose, it's nothing like the Thar, which has it's own presence and cred.

Finally, plan to make the Thar a keeper- a boy toy - after say, 5 years, and get a family-friendly drive, assuming you'll be well into familial obligations by then
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 20:23   #3850
BHPian

Quote:

Now a brief info about me. I presently own a 2016 Creta D M and was looking for an upgrade as it has completed 1.2Lac Kms till now. I have a XUV 700 AX7L AWD and Scorpio N booking both due around June ‘23. I am also looking for a used Fortuner/Crysta under 20L. Scorpio Classic is also a car close to my heart.

My usage is 80% highway/expressways, majorly chauffeur driven with me on the front passenger seat. I am 28 and very much single. My usage is 20-30k kms a year. And at present I am limiting myself to under 20L budget.
If I were you, with this kind of usage, I would go for a new diesel innova(if it's still available). You wouldn't have to look for another car after 1.2L km like now. Reliability, durability and comfort. All sorted. Buying it new will serve you longer. A low mileage Innova will cost a bomb. Since you are chauffeur driven, the more reliable manual adds more points to the reliability.

I understand that you love the thar. But for your kind of usage, if you don't find it comfortable, it will be a pain, literally. What if the suspension switch doesn't work out? Also, Thar isn't suited for speed. Consider that as well.
Benoit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 09:45   #3851
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benoit View Post
If I were you, with this kind of usage, I would go for a new diesel innova(if it's still available)...........

I understand that you love the thar. But for your kind of usage, if you don't find it comfortable, it will be a pain, literally. What if the suspension switch doesn't work out? Also, Thar isn't suited for speed. Consider that as well.
Little off topic but as far as speeds go, Thar is pretty capable in all legal speed limits. As such in a couple of years when highways also will have automated speed cams, a vehicle's high speed capabilities will be in theory only unless one decides to keep paying fine.

All said and done Thar is fantastic. Go for it, you won't regret with the kind of smile it brings
techfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 13:42   #3852
yuv
BHPian

Hi All, I decided to take the plunge and booked the Thar yesterday.
Its going to be a Red Diesel AT Convertible and mainly used for weekend drives to Lonavala.

The original plan was hatched in Goa last month where I had rented one for 3 days. Since then, its been a story of lost love which has now been rekindled.

I went with NBS and the experience has been pleasant thus far. I plan to keep it stock for a few months at least and the only extras I went in for are (1) The extended warranty of 2 more years costing approx. 30k and (2) Extended RSA of 1 year costing approx. 2k.

Now the hunt for insurance begins, I got a quote of 40k for zero dep from United which looks too good to be true. Going to look into it again and next is to decide on the must have accessories, for which there is already a treasure of info on this thread.

Any suggestions are most welcome, thanks & Cheers!
yuv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2022, 16:07   #3853
BHPian

Hi,

I too have booked a Thar P (AT) CT in Red Rage in the first week of December, 2022 and waiting for delivery which the dealer states is going to take another two months. Though I wanted to take immediate delivery but due to year end and the slow moving Convertible stock, none of the dealers in Delhi were willing to order. I was in fact offered a March/April 2022 CT in a different colour which I refused. The dealer has not yet placed its order on the Mahindra. I also plan to keep it stock and have ordered few accessories from the Mahindra.
I will update once I get anything concrete from the dealer.
Old 12th December 2022, 23:12   #3854
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786 View Post
Hi,

I too have booked a Thar P (AT) CT in Red Rage in the first week of December, 2022 and waiting for delivery which the dealer states is going to take another two months. Though I wanted to take immediate delivery but due to year end and the slow moving Convertible stock, none of the dealers in Delhi were willing to order. I was in fact offered a March/April 2022 CT in a different colour which I refused. The dealer has not yet placed its order on the Mahindra. I also plan to keep it stock and have ordered few accessories from the Mahindra.
I will update once I get anything concrete from the dealer.
Congrats Manver786.

From what I understand through reliable sources is that the convertibles are having slow movement therefore dealers are a bit vary of ordering them, just in case there is a cancellation. Being the year end isn't helping either.

The dealer not placing an order despite paying the booking amount is stretching it a bit too far. Suggest escalating it to the Mahindra top brass through proper channels.

Good luck!
Old 13th December 2022, 04:30   #3855
BHPian

Quote:
1. How comfortable/uncomfortable am I going to be for my intended usage? Say if I go for AVO suspensions, then how will the ride quality be if compared to other cars or my existing one?
Well Thar is a driver's car. If you yourself are going to drive then you would love it. For a chauffeur driven car i would suggest going for ScorpioN, it has 70-80% capabilities of Thar & 130-140% comfort of Thar with the new platform & suspensions.

As for Thar in 2023, i believe Thar may undergo major changes to accommodate the new safety standards like 6 airbags which is not possible with current hardtop or softtop platform. It may be the last time we can buy the Thar as mahindra intended and not what govt thinks it should be.

Hope this helps.
trends2day is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks