Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th October 2021, 14:14   #2341
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Hi guys!

Slightly weird 'problem'- I booked my Thar- LX AT Diesel Black in July, 2021 in Bangalore.
I recently got a call from my dealer saying that my vehicle has been allotted.
While this is amazing news, a part of me is thinking it sounds too good to be true..
My questions are-
1. Could it be a lemon (that someone else is returning) that I am getting?
2. How do I check if it is a valid, new allotment and there is nothing shady going on here?

Will be really grateful for some help here.

Very similar to my situation. I booked my Thar on 30th July, 2021. Got a call on September, 2021 regarding availability of a Thar with same spec as my order. Upon further enquiry, they told that it was due to cancellation of another customer who have postponed his buying decision.
I checked the VIN and it was a July manufactured Thar. Although it had no Infotainment installed. As per the dealership, touchscreen infotainment is missing because of the semi-conductor shortage and the car was shipped without it. Also the Thar was at the factory stockyard for some days before being shipped to the dealership stockyard last month.
Btw dealership had 4 Thars in stock, one Diesel AT, 1 Petrol Manual and 2 Diesel manuals, all LX Hardtops. They only had received one infotainment system back then.

Diesel AT being the most expensive variant and with the not so recent price hike coupled with automatic being not very popular in my place, cancellation is a acceptable reason

After a lot of brain storming, I took delivery on 11th of this month, after a good inspection. They installed the infotainment system on my Thar before delivery.

So,
1. Can't deny the probability of being a lemon, but a good inspection will definitely be helpful. Return from a customer is highly unlikely because rarely a dealership will accept a return that too with lots of noise.
2. As per it being a valid allotment, try cross questioning about the VIN, odometer reading, etc

Last edited by dr_TJ : 14th October 2021 at 14:22.
dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2021, 15:13   #2342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidban85 View Post
If I have a running of 10K kms or less annually, mostly in Bangalore traffic and some highway weekend drives, does the petrol Thar or the diesel one make sense? I think there is almost Rs 1 Lakh difference in LX HT Auto prices.
Given your use case, a petrol Thar makes more sense any day. By going this route, you will eliminate one BIG ownership hassle - DPF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
I recently got a call from my dealer saying that my vehicle has been allotted.
I have been hearing about Thar booking cancellations from multiple quarters of late, especially since the launch of XUV7OO. This is a result of indefinite waiting periods for the Thar (providing prospective buyers with sufficient time window for a reality check post initial euphoria) coupled with fantastic VFM proposition offered by the XUV7OO. I am sure that waiting periods for the Thar are going to come further down over next few months. While Mahindra has been tom-toming about 75k bookings of the Thar, would be interesting to know the no. of cancellations as well. My guess would be anywhere between 15-20% if not more.

Last edited by cool_dube : 14th October 2021 at 15:14.
Old 15th October 2021, 11:59   #2343
BHPian

Anyone have thought about installing new AC vents on their Thar? These Mercedes AMG styled ones do look good, although these should prove to be more sturdy than the stock AC vents of the Thar.

Pardon me for the poor image quality as these are screenshots.

Btw, I was just wandering, how can we DIY replace the stock AC vents of the Thar just in case, the vent knob completely breaks. Any inputs on the vent removal process?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20211015115338104_com.android.chrome.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20211015115354724_com.android.chrome.jpg  

Old 15th October 2021, 12:19   #2344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Anyone have thought about installing new AC vents on their Thar? These Mercedes AMG styled ones do look good, although these should prove to be more sturdy than the stock AC vents of the Thar.

Pardon me for the poor image quality as these are screenshots.

Btw, I was just wandering, how can we DIY replace the stock AC vents of the Thar just in case, the vent knob completely breaks. Any inputs on the vent removal process?
I know someone who did this already.
I have a video of the same, as per him, they are plug and play.
Definitely look cool, especially since you can change their color to red to match with the speedo etc.

Total cost of conversion;15K.
akshay4587 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th October 2021, 12:41   #2345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I know someone who did this already.
I have a video of the same, as per him, they are plug and play.
Definitely look cool, especially since you can change their color to red to match with the speedo etc.

Total cost of conversion;15K.
Wish I could get more information on this.
I would love to get these installed but it will be a DIY for me cause the aftermarket accessories guys are just not good enough here.

Can the stock vent be directly pulled out with the help of a pry tool? Or I need to remove dashboard trim?
Just this much information will be good enough for me.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 15th October 2021 at 13:09.
Old 16th October 2021, 07:29   #2346
BHPian

Is there any place in Bangalore where I can rent the new gen thar? I have checked the standard zoom and revv sites and did not see any listed. I assume no one in Bangalore rents them out ? If you are aware please do post . Thank you.
Old 16th October 2021, 12:24   #2347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiva75 View Post
Is there any place in Bangalore where I can rent the new gen thar? .
I doubt if anyone would offer a part time 4WD vehicle such as Thar on rent.
Part time 4WD vehicles can be easily damaged (transmission windup) by the person renting it by simply engaging 4WD (4H or 4L) and driving on a paved road.
Old 17th October 2021, 11:10   #2348
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, coming from the Ecosport to the Thar, braking feels a lot different to me.
Even the AT gear change action feels unrefined compared to my Ecosport AT.
The black central cap of the knob of one of the AC vent of the Thar seems to have fallen off.
Can't find it now.
I guess the knob is very flimsy. Will cover it up with a black tape for now
Till now, all the ac vents of my Thar have been replaced under warranty, all due to those center knobs missing. The service center guys readily agree that those knobs are extremely flimsy. I wonder when they would provide better parts and stop the hassle of replacing in every service!!
The bonnet latches were replaced with better ones initially.
Old 17th October 2021, 13:07   #2349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Till now, all the ac vents of my Thar have been replaced under warranty, all due to those center knobs missing. The service center guys readily agree that those knobs are extremely flimsy. I wonder when they would provide better parts and stop the hassle of replacing in every service!!
The bonnet latches were replaced with better ones initially.
Yes, the AC vents are very filmsy. I am planning for aftermarket Mercedes styled AC vents now. How is the replacement process? We can directly pull out the AC vents after little prying?
Old 17th October 2021, 13:10   #2350
BHPian

A question for the current owners. How are you tackling the problem of the plastic roof fading over time? I was thinking about LineX from Bimbra4x4 but there are reports that it gets dirty after some time and is very difficult to clean.
Old 17th October 2021, 13:15   #2351
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, the AC vents are very filmsy. I am planning for aftermarket Mercedes styled AC vents now. How is the replacement process? We can directly pull out the AC vents after little prying?
Even the SC guys take ample time to pull them out and the problem is that the dashboard part where the vents are fitted in take a hit. They put in screwdrivers etc. to pull out the vents and the dashboard plastic bear marks of the same!
I wonder why they cannot have a better way to replace them!
Old 17th October 2021, 13:24   #2352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLivingLife View Post
Even the SC guys take ample time to pull them out and the problem is that the dashboard part where the vents are fitted in take a hit. They put in screwdrivers etc. to pull out the vents and the dashboard plastic bear marks of the same!
I wonder why they cannot have a better way to replace them!
My touch screen system was fitted on the day of delivery. And dealership guy used a flat head screw driver to pry out the panel at the top and behind the Touchscreen. Left a small indentation mark.
Old 17th October 2021, 15:17   #2353
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My touch screen system was fitted on the day of delivery. And dealership guy used a flat head screw driver to pry out the panel at the top and behind the Touchscreen. Left a small indentation mark.
This is so unprofessional; I would be furious about it, and ask for a replacement.
Old 17th October 2021, 18:13   #2354
BHPian

Updated wait times in New Delhi.Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211017_180731.jpg
Tourer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2021, 02:12   #2355
BHPian

Got delivery of my Mystic Copper AT Diesel on Dushera. I had booked it on Nov 29 2020 under price protection. For now, just sharing some pictures whilst i enjoy the fruits of the 11 montha of waiting Im loving the attention the open top Thar gets.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211016_070232.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211016_064818.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211016_064720.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211014_192831.jpg  

vinay_ss is offline   (20) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks