Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2021, 18:22   #2371
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Well, might be a stupid question, but still I want some clarity.
I bought the Thar Diesel AT cause the Petrol AT has really low Fuel economy figures. Going by my experience of trying to sell my Ecosport AT, its almost impossible to sell a petrol SUV here, let alone a Petrol AT with around 7-8 kmpl numbers.
I do endup doing long weekend drives and the Thar AT will be well utilized for that.

My biggest issue being my daily commute. Roughly a total of 20-25 kms a day at maximum (25 kms of total to and from driving i.e from home to work multiple times).
Ecosport AT is my daily commuter car as of now but it is guzzling petrol like no tomorrow. But worried about using the Thar Diesel AT for the same purpose.

My question is, can the Thar Diesel AT be used for such short daily commute? I am concerned about DPF issues.
This also makes it harder for me to sell the Ecosport cause I will be without a daily commuter now.

Suggestions please
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 19:35   #2372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIP View Post
2. Where can I source BF Goodrich tyres in Bangalore ?! I'm simply in love with them and have used them extensively before on my Scorpio as well. Please advise and hook me up with the right people/contacts. (BF Goodrich 265/60/R18 AT) Thanks in advance
Hello, were you able to find the BFGs in Bangalore? I'm close to delivery of my Thar and would like to go with the KO2 265/75 R16 with the steel rims (or good alloy if I can get to reduce some weight).
I see you were trying to get the 18 inch BFGs, are you already done with that? What would you suggest between the 16 and 18 inchers? I'd like to keep the diameter of the wheels and most setup as close as the stock one possible.
Please let me know if you have found any dealers in Bangalore who can get these tyres/size and also offering buy back on stock tyres/alloys!
Thanks.
Old 19th October 2021, 21:20   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
My question is, can the Thar Diesel AT be used for such short daily commute? I am concerned about DPF issues.
This also makes it harder for me to sell the Ecosport cause I will be without a daily commuter now.

Suggestions please
I have regularly used my Thar for city jaunts, and at least 2000 KM of my 16,000 on the odo would have been bumper to bumper.

Never faced any DPF issues.

When I was talking to my ASS' technical head, he said that he's seen BS6 vehicles that are regularly turned-off - started - short-drive - turned-off - started... like delivery vehicles facing DPF clogging issues, and his advice for such use-cases is to not turn off the vehicle between the stops.

For your 20+km drive, don't think you'll have an issue - but at least for the first month of doing that, be prepared in case the jeep goes into limp mode due to DPF clogging. Unlikely that it'll happen after a month if it didn't until then
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 21:39   #2374
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I have regularly used my Thar for city jaunts, and at least 2000 KM of my 16,000 on the odo would have been bumper to bumper.

Never faced any DPF issues.
Or is that the reason that you have not faced DPF issues ? Just 12% of your running has been in city.
condor is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2021, 21:48   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Or is that the reason that you have not faced DPF issues ? Just 12% of your running has been in city.
Could be, though most of that 2000 km have been continuous running. And even quite a good part of the rest has been ghats in and around Nilgris that are invariably low speed/ rpm.

But I've not had much off a short drive - cool off - short drive usage, maybe once a fortnight, followed by at least a couple of dozen km of 60+ kmph drives...
Old 20th October 2021, 09:50   #2376
BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have booked Diesel THAR AT and wait continues. My question is regarding the DPF issue.
Request fellow members to share their experience regarding DPF issue while driving primarily in the city traffic.

I have been reading that if there is a mix of city and highway driving, DPF will be a non issue. However, I am wondering if we can use THAR primarily for city driving without any highway driving. There will be situations when highway driving is not possible for extended period. Thanks!
Old 20th October 2021, 09:57   #2377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
But I've not had much off a short drive - cool off - short drive usage, maybe once a fortnight, followed by at least a couple of dozen km of 60+ kmph drives...
I think that has been your saving grace.

Following a 2000 km road-trip, I'd been driving short stints in relatively free flowing city traffic and some start-stop trips for the last 1200 odd kms - and the DEF/DPF warning light did pop-up on the dash (a quick chime and a flash - its gone even before you know it). I visited the ASC and got around 4 litres of DEF topped-up. Ran an OBD scan and there were no further errors.

Then did a 500 km highway trip - so hopefully I am sorted for the time being.

The entire DEF thingy is a bit of a hit-n-miss. But constant city usage at low rpms will definitely lead to DEF/DPF warnings.
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 11:27   #2378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
and the DEF/DPF warning light did pop-up on the dash (a quick chime and a flash - its gone even before you know it)
This happened couple of times with me as well. It would disappear by the time I look at MID screen.
Every time I heard this chime, I got confused and used to check whether I am above 80 or parking brake is engaged or seat belt is buckled.

Recently I caught this in MID screen. I am doubting that it could be an early sign of DPF clogging which would need attention.
Old 20th October 2021, 11:30   #2379
BHPian

What should be the running in process for Thar Diesel?
As per the manual, it says to drive smoothly upto 1000 kms.

Primary concern is obviously related to DPF issues.
So, fellow Thar diesel owners can share there experience of their running in process. Specially Diesel AT owners.
Old 20th October 2021, 11:51   #2380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I am doubting that it could be an early sign of DPF clogging which would need attention.
Or, you might want to get the DEF levels checked (my case at 4300 kms on the odo).
Old 20th October 2021, 11:59   #2381
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I am doubting that it could be an early sign of DPF clogging which would need attention.
And, you might also want to get the DEF levels checked (my case at 4300 km on the odo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
What should be the running in process for Thar Diesel?
As per the manual, it says to drive smoothly upto 1000 kms.

Primary concern is obviously related to DPF issues.
First 1000 kms you need not worry about DEF/DPF issues.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 12:02   #2382
BHPian

I have booked Thar Petrol LX AT variant after reading multiple threads around DPF issues faced in diesel BS6 vehicles. It is very difficult to drive with peace of mind after reading all this. I will be driving my Thar only in city where the DPF is most notorious. I am okay with 7-8 kmpl in city as I am getting similar mileage in my diesel 3.2 Endeavour. Petrol variant in Thar is definitely more refined and powerful than diesel.
Old 20th October 2021, 15:28   #2383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
I have booked Thar Petrol LX AT variant after reading multiple threads around DPF issues faced in diesel BS6 vehicles. It is very difficult to drive with peace of mind after reading all this. I will be driving my Thar only in city where the DPF is most notorious. I am okay with 7-8 kmpl in city as I am getting similar mileage in my diesel 3.2 Endeavour. Petrol variant in Thar is definitely more refined and powerful than diesel.
Will we get 7-8 in petrol automatic for only city driving? I am also in 2 minds after reading all the DPF issues and thinking of changing to Petrol.
Old 20th October 2021, 15:47   #2384
BHPian

Iam a bit puzzled here. So as per the Thar diesel owners here in this forum, it will be a risky affair to drive a diesel Thar in a city like Bangalore where bumper to bumper traffic is a daily routine, right? Just imagine, you are in MG road during a rush hour, your car goes in limp mode and that will be a catastrophe. So you all are implying that Thar diesel should not be driven in cities. Where will all the already delivered Thar diesel owners go in the city if this is the case. Iam totally confused. If this issue is for real, then M&M should take back all delivered diesel Thars and exchange them with Petrol makes.
Old 20th October 2021, 15:56   #2385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roby_dk View Post
Congratulations on your booking! There should not be much waiting now.

I also got a petrol manual recently and I'm getting 7-8 kmpl in the city but I'm happy that I chose petrol over diesel as my usage would be very less. For highway runs, my 3.2 Endeavour is doing a good job

Last edited by daf23 : 20th October 2021 at 16:02.
daf23 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks