Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2021, 09:56   #2521
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

On PPF-I have been a big PPF fan for my other vehicles in my garage. So, Amigo was no exception. I got the PPF done for full Thar. Brand was Solar guard mid range PPF. Some pictures for your viewing pleasure!!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210923_114010.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210923_122041.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210923_123930.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_161508.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_162444.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_162500.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_162517.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20210924_162530.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 13:17   #2522

The ten-month-long waiting period has finally ended; I got the call from the dealership last evening and an email confirming the delivery along with the proforma invoice. LX Automatic Hard Top Diesel in Rocky Beige, and the vehicle will be ready for delivery within the next two weeks.

The Thar will primarily be a daily driver (City 40%), seeing a fair share of highway runs (40%), and the remaining would be weekend trips with mild off-roading. Would love to be part of an OTR with Team-BHP, would love to learn.

Just a few questions before getting the delivery:
1. PDI: The dealership should get the vehicle in the stockyard within a week, post which I have already asked for a PDI. Any specific details to be looked at, considering this is a first jeep purchase?
2. Tires: Not very keen on keeping the stock MRF Wanderers because of the previous experience in the Ford Endeavour.
Please suggest a dealer in Mumbai / Gujarat and help choose from the options:
a. Yokohama Geolandar G015
b. Maxxis AT 980
c. BF Goodrich KO2
d. Cooper Discoverer A/T3

Would ideally like to retain the stock size and keep the factory alloys but would not mind going upsizing to 285/60 R18 or downsizing the rim size to 17 or 16 inches for better grip, comfort and ease.

3. Decent Audio: I already have a set of amplifiers from the previous setup. Looking out for a decent set of components and rear speakers. Not looking for a very bass-oriented setup, SQL over SPL.
4. AC Vents: Are the stock vents creating persistent problems? If that be the case, I would like to go in for the Mercedes Styled AC vents.
5. Paint Protection: Ceramic Coating or a PPF Film?
6. Must-haves and the dos and don’ts to improve life with a Mahindra Thar?

Thanks!
Sanil is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 13:49   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanil View Post
4. AC Vents: Are the stock vents creating persistent problems? If that be the case, I would like to go in for the Mercedes Styled AC vents.
Stock vents are flimsy especially the center knob of the AC vent. I have started my DIY to replace them with Mercedes style vents but it requires removal of the dashboard. And re-fitting the dashboard is very tricky
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 13:51   #2524
BHPian

Took my Thar to service center as I received a call for service action.
Below are the items covered as part of the same:

1. Hood Latch Assembly Replacement
2. Intercooler Inlet Hose Inspection
3. Cap addition on E-Disconnect Motor Wiring - This was not carried out as my Thar had full underbody protection. They will do this during second service as underbody protection needs to be taken out for differential oil replacement.

In addition, did a DEF fluid top up for 3 liters.

Coming days are exciting for me as I am planning for a basic audio upgrade.

Teaser
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-1636445862075.jpg

Last edited by MithunSathianat : 9th November 2021 at 13:56. Reason: missed out to add "DEF Fluid"
MithunSathianat is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 15:08   #2525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
3. Cap addition on E-Disconnect Motor Wiring - This was not carried out as my Thar had full underbody protection. They will do this during second service as underbody protection needs to be taken out for differential oil replacement.

In addition, did a DEF fluid top up for 3 liters.

Coming days are exciting for me as I am planning for a basic audio upgrade.
Why would the underbody protection hamper the cap addition - they can just remove the front part right? Same for diff. oil too! I guess this is your Thar's first service, so not a big concern unless you used 4x4. Did they change the rear diff. oil?

Also, there was a service action in my Thar where the AT Thermal Bypass valve was replaced as it is prone to AT oil leakage. Now, I was thinking had I installed the underbody protection, I may not have noticed the oil drip! So those with underbody protection AND an AT, please check if there are oil marks in the inside of the front underbody plate - you'll have to remove it!

How many KM have you done, for the 3 liter DEF consumption? The DEF level can only be checked by plugging in the ASS' tough book - and the user manual warns about overfilling the DEF beyond the 20 liter mark. I hope the ASS checked the level in their system before topping it up!

On the ICE - The Sony compact woofer is something that I was thinking about too. Does it fit under the driver seat, and how is the effect - let me know after you install them
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 16:33   #2526
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Why would the underbody protection hamper the cap addition - they can just remove the front part right? Same for diff. oil too! I guess this is your Thar's first service, so not a big concern unless you used 4x4. Did they change the rear diff. oil?
This is not my first service, I have done 6k on the ODO. Yes you are right, front portion of the underbody protection only needs to be removed for fitting the cap. But I suggested them to get it done during the second service along with differential oil change and they agreed as it was not a critical replacement. I usually do one monthly off-road trip with 4-L being engaged approximately for 15-20kms.

Quote:
Also, there was a service action in my Thar where the AT Thermal Bypass valve was replaced as it is prone to AT oil leakage. Now, I was thinking had I installed the underbody protection, I may not have noticed the oil drip! So those with underbody protection AND an AT, please check if there are oil marks in the inside of the front underbody plate - you'll have to remove it!
Thank you. Will check this.

Quote:
How many KM have you done, for the 3 liter DEF consumption? The DEF level can only be checked by plugging in the ASS' tough book - and the user manual warns about overfilling the DEF beyond the 20 liter mark. I hope the ASS checked the level in their system before topping it up!
ODO is now at 6k. So its around 1 liter for 2k km's. I was not aware of this tough book. The service guys are technically competent and usually follows SOP's. But, I will check it specifically with my Service Manager on this.

Quote:
On the ICE - The Sony compact woofer is something that I was thinking about too. Does it fit under the driver seat, and how is the effect - let me know after you install them
Its actually snug fit. If you are looking for a more compact one - Infinity Basslink Mini is the one to go for. I shall write a detailed post after the audio upgrade.
MithunSathianat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th November 2021, 17:46   #2527
BHPian

Not sure if Mahindra has launched a special edition of the Thar with a mustard paint job. Wondering if anyone else has heard about it. The grille is clearly after-market.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211108-1.05.53-pm.jpeg  

sid_deb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 16:05   #2528
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanil View Post
The ten-month-long waiting period has finally ended;
6. Must-haves and the dos and don’ts to improve life with a Mahindra Thar?

Thanks!
Congratulations the only two things I miss are the dead pedal and front arm rest.
The rear arm rests would surely help the rear passengers too, so that's something I would be adding sometime later as well.
sammyboy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2021, 16:07   #2529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
Not sure if Mahindra has launched a special edition of the Thar with a mustard paint job. Wondering if anyone else has heard about it. The grille is clearly after-market.
It is probably Wrap. A friend got his Thar wrapped in white
indian21r is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 19:10   #2530
BHPian

Yesterday I went for a preview and probable booking of the Thar at Salasar Autokrafts, Thane. Wife likes Jeep body type (open top preferred) vehicles and wanted one.

The experience at the dealership was not so pleasant.

The receptionist at ground floor did not let us go to the first floor the moment she came to know that we were there for the Thar. Upon requesting if we could see the XUV700 as well, she allowed us to go to the first floor.

There were two XUV700s on display at the first floor, one of which was available for preview to the customers.

There was only one family checking out the XUV700.

The response from the sales person was so-so and he did not seem to be much interested.

As per the sales person at Salasar Autokrafts, Mahindra has discontinued all the AX OPT variants of the Thar.

The waiting period is 48-50 weeks and he promised a test drive by the next day, however he hasn't called up yet.

Booking amount is 21000 rupees and 2100 rupees will be deducted if the booking is cancelled after 48hrs.

All in all such cold shoulder treatment to customers that I witnessed was at a Ford dealership when the Ecosport was launched, but they were a little better than the Mahindra dealership.

This was a first visit to a car dealership in about 2-3 years and a first to a Mahindra dealership. A big disappointment for wife and son
Brumby is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 11th November 2021, 19:25   #2531
BHPian

Late Post:
Took delivery of my Thar Petrol AT on 22-Oct. I have no idea why I bought Thar it was a decision which me and my wife took after we planned to sell our Endeavour. Somehow we were not able to find any replacement of Endeavour and we convinced ourselves to get a Thar instead of spending huge money in 40-50L segment and repent later.

Why Thar?
The first question that comes to everyone's mind why buy a car like Thar. Let me tell you one thing this current generation Thar is miles ahead of the old one and can be really considered as a daily drivers car barring you are fine using the front two seats. If I remember correctly I have hardly driven my wife's Polo GT TSI more than 10-15 times in last 2 year of ownership. The rear seats are still wrapped in poly which came with the new car as no one sat there. So one thing was clear if we take Thar there will be no issues with the poor 2nd row access. We will not use it for highway drives the usage will be limited to city and either one of us can drive it anytime. The rest of the duties can be performed by Endeavour till we find a suitable replacement for it.

How Thar?
We took test drive of following cars before we finally took decision to buy Thar. Now these cars are from different segment but somehow the test drive of these cars helped us to convince ourselves to get Thar.

1. Toyota Fortuner: This was the first car which came to my mind when Ford announced to leave India. I was almost sure to buy this and convinced everyone in family to sell Endeavour and get a Toyota in family. Took several extended test drives but was not able to convince myself and family to replace Endeavour with Fortuner. I know it has improved a lot but it still lacks in many areas. Be it comfort, features, drive experience it doesn't looks like a 45-50L car. The only thing which I liked was the new and improved engine & gearbox performance. Apart from that every other thing was a big turnoff. Maybe one should drive Fortuner with horse blinders/blinkers so that he just see the road ahead.

Me, brother and my wife took good 30-40 minute test drive of Fortuner AT while everyone was impressed with the initial pull and solid feel similar to Endeavour but the interior were pathetic. I prefer the beige interiors rather than the all black ones. No idea may be the quality of black interior can be decent but the layout is mediocre. My mother simply refused to go for a test drive, she just sat in had a glimpse of the car's interiors and simply came out with a sheepish smile. She said our 2017 Endeavour is far better than the 2021 Fortuner. There is no reason to buy this car after selling Endeavour it is a clear downgrade in every aspect.

2. MG Gloster: Leaving the Chinese sentiments aside this car is a actual VFM product from MG motors. The interior is so good especially the center console and area near gearbox including the gear lever. It definitely looks like a next segment car. The space is humongous in all rows you can even adjust with three small/mid size adults in 3rd row. With all bells and whistles it was still cheaper than the Fortuner by a good margin. It also specify my personal criteria the bigger the better. I am fond of huge dimensions and specifically look out for the longest/widest/tallest cars in particular segment. The test drive experience was exceptional I had this car for good 2-3 hours where all family members experienced this car thoroughly.

The only thing which went wrong with this car was its MUVish looks. Even with its huge dimensions it still doesn't looks like a proper SUV. The front is not as imposing as the tall boy SUVs and rear is too flat for my liking. It is definitely a much better family car though but will not look good for a solo driver. Barring a few occasional trips in a year I hardly use the 3rd row of Endeavour. In short Gloster was rejected for the Van type looks it possess.

3. XUV 700: Well this car landed me to Mahindra showroom where I checked out the Thar in person. My BIL was looking out for a family car and we went to check out the newly displayed XUV in Mahindra showroom. While I had no interest in XUV I spotted a Thar in showroom and kept drooling it for long when my wife said this is looking good and macho SUV. We just stepped inside and though the interiors were utilitarian but the still doesn't look cheap considering the price. I casually checked with the sales advisor about the waiting on Thar to which he replied 2-3 months for Petrol and 9-10 months for diesel. Well we took a test drive of XUV 700 and made up our mind to book the top end diesel AWD variant without a second thought for my sister. The SA promised me to send the Thar next to my home for test drive.

4. Thar Petrol AT: As promised the SA came up with a sparkling black hard top Petrol AT Thar next day. Me and wife sat acquired the front seats and SA went in the 2nd row. He started explaining features and other things while the car was started. I didn't even realized the engine was on it was extremely silent no clatter no noise creeping inside the cabin. Even the AC blower at the lowest setting is louder than the engine noise. Tested the various modes 4x4 high, low while its all mechanical now vs the Endeavour but still it does the job pretty well. Basically in Thar we never cribbed for any thing vs Fortuner/Gloster since it is much cheaper car. We were happy that we are getting in acoordance to what we are paying. Coming back to driving experience I was simply bowled by the Petrol motor's refinement. We do have the Polo at home but getting a similar feeling from SUV like Thar was not expected. The car is eager to move forward as soon as the gear is slotted in Drive mode much similar to diesel engines which have good low end torque. Push the pedal and Thar pulls like anything trust me both of us felt the raw power to be much better than the German 7-speed DSG motor. Polo behaves differently in Sports mode but if we compare drive mode Thar drives better. Wife also drove it and liked the Thar, she is anyways driving the Endeavour occasionally so the size was not a problem. Yes the bling factor was missing but then Thar is not a fancy car it is a lifestyle product. There is something special about Thar be its old school Jeep like shape, the spare wheel on rear door(I miss my Safari Dicor), bigger and broad tyres etc. its definitely a looker.

After test drive I made up my mind to consider Thar as a secondary vehicle till we get a replacement of our Endeavour. I am not planning anything soon as of now but now I can easily dispose off cars(Endeavour or Polo) whenever I like. The good thing is with Thar I can even switch to luxury sedans and still can do the occasional off-roading/snow drives/Dune bashing trips with my Endeavour group.

Attaching few pics of the Thar with Endeavour and Polo.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211022_152853.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211022_150146.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211022_155244.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211022_150925.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211022_165539.jpg  

roby_dk is offline   (48) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 14:14   #2532
BHPian

Hi Guys, I am unable to find ecosense in my Thar infotainment system. When its connected to my phone, Bluesense app is showing Ecosense score. I got no idea why its not showing on the ICE. It seems some software glitch. Any one else is having this issue?

Also while breaking at slow speeds , I could hear screaching noise, I couldn't figure out if its coming from the break pads or from the pedal. Will get it checked during my next service.
Old 12th November 2021, 15:45   #2533
BHPian

Hi guys,

At 20k on the odo and second service due the rear shocks of my thar are showing signs of leakage. Should I be concerned or is it normal? Pictures are attached.

I'd also like to know from fellow thar owners if they hear rattles from the front tyre/suspension while driving with windows down on uneven roads. Mine rattles like an ageing Bolero would.

Lastly, I've had a grinding noise (ABS like) coming from the front right wheel when it passes through depressions in the road, in other words- when the suspension has to travel to quite some degree. I also feel the vibration through the break pedal. The problem has persisted since the delivery.

Kindly guide.

Edit: If "thuds" from the tailgate are a problem for you, I'd suggest using doctor's tape. Works perfectly. Photo attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211112_152638.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211112_152632.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20211112_155438.jpg  

Last edited by Malhi : 12th November 2021 at 15:55.
Malhi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th November 2021, 15:56   #2534
BHPian

Hi,

Has anybody attempted to add some weight to the rear of the Thar to reduce the suspension bouncing alot ? I mostly drive alone so the rear tends to bounce around.
Old 12th November 2021, 19:58   #2535
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
Lastly, I've had a grinding noise (ABS like) coming from the front right wheel when it passes through depressions in the road, in other words- when the suspension has to travel to quite some degree. I also feel the vibration through the break pedal. The problem has persisted since the delivery.
I too have noticed this issue, especially when I drive with some speed on potholes, I can hear a metal clinking sound and the vibration being felt in brake pedal.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks