Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2021, 23:10   #2536
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
I too have noticed this issue, especially when I drive with some speed on potholes, I can hear a metal clinking sound and the vibration being felt in brake pedal.
Same is happening with my Thar too. Initially I thought my brake shoes are worn out, however while checking its as if brand new. Then I thought its due to some mud or sand in between discs. I got it cleaned by opening both the disc brake shoes, but still the noise is intact. Service center guys got no clue about this issue though.

Apart from this, the burning rubber smell from the rear wheel well is an added headache for me. Other wise, its a great vehicle to drive around.
highwaypatrol is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 04:46   #2537
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hi Guys, I am unable to find ecosense in my Thar infotainment system. When its connected to my phone, Bluesense app is showing Ecosense score. I got no idea why its not showing on the ICE. It seems some software glitch. Any one else is having this issue?
My AT Thar doesn't have Ecosense - the app has the screens but the HU does not, and it's not a feature for this vehicle.

Don't think even MT Thars have Ecosense, can someone check and confirm?
Old 13th November 2021, 09:11   #2538
BHPian

I finally did my Mercedes AMG styled AC vents installation on my Thar. It was a DIY installation. Sadly I was busy installing the vents which got quite complex in between, so I don't have pictures of the installation process.

Few things I disliked during the process, Why do Mahindra needs to make the AC vents replacement process so complex, complex for AC vents which are quite fragile. Also the clips which hold the dashboard are very flimsy as well as stubborn when you try to refit the dashboard.

Yes, we have to take apart the driver side and passenger side upper dashboard part for removing the AC vents, for the central vents, we have to pry out the central vents portion. Very poorly designed dashboard I must say.
With the Mercedes styled vents, replacement is a simple task of prying them out and inserting a new vent. Which Mahindra should have designed their vents in the first place.
Refitting of the dashboard is a mighty tough job and the dashboard clips are stubborn not to align properly and get back in place

For powering the AC vents, I used a fuse tap, used the power mirror adjustment fuse, which is 5A. I also connected footwell ambient lights to the same fuse tap wire. Ground is also connected to screw with a clean metal surface in the driver footwell.

The AC vents have RGB LEDs which can be controlled via an App. I don't like disco lights so I have decided to keep a constant color of Red as of now.

If anyone wants to do this Vents replacement DIY, I can surely help them. Yes, it can be done at a good accessories shop if available orelse do a DIY with proper wiring.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-2c22dfa8e3b644e6adbe623c79a6ede9.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-732a6a13ee7949d0a5b984fde4fb9bcb.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-93db9730ab4b48c7b92ab27cdbcccddb.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-p_20211108_122552.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-p_20211108_122556.jpg  

Last edited by dr_TJ : 13th November 2021 at 09:26.
dr_TJ is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 10:39   #2539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
My AT Thar doesn't have Ecosense - the app has the screens but the HU does not, and it's not a feature for this vehicle.

Don't think even MT Thars have Ecosense, can someone check and confirm?
Some Thars do have it and some just don't. I guess something to do with Chip shortage, early batches of Thars do come with Ecosense in the ICE.
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 15:17   #2540
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone test driven a diesel AT in bangalore? i've been trying to get a test drive but none of the dealers seem to be having it. I've followed up with Sireesh Auto since Sept first week. They still don't have one. I wonder why only AT diesel isn't available with dealers.
Old 13th November 2021, 15:32   #2541
BHPian

This post may be borderline inappropriate. Mods pls delete if this is inappropriate. After driving around my XUV7OO, two of my friends who were about to take delivery of the Thar, have gone Apes , dropped their plans and instead booked XUV700. It’s Petrol AT. Anyone from TamilNadu interested in getting them, please PM.
Old 13th November 2021, 19:11   #2542
BHPian

Test drove a Petrol AT in Bangalore today. The main focus was to see how our pet dog (labrador) who is no longer young and so, cannot jump as high can get in and out of Thar without discomfort.

She can current get in easily in the back seat of Skoda Rapid or a WagonR pet taxi which has rear seats folded.

The back is too high to get in without a ramp with the door open. But with seats folded, there is enough space if one can lift her in, but lifting in and out is something that she generally hates.

With front seat slid in front, she climbed in with some contortion but it was touch and go. We retried after the test drive and 2nd time she could not, even though there is a side step: too less space for her to compose herself and swivel to get in back seat. She slid back out.

Moral: if you have a small dog who you can carry around and thus, place in back, it is practical. Otherwise, it will need a ramp which is available on Amazon. But on flip side, the ramp will take up whatever limited bootspace is there.

The drive was bouncy but manageable. Wife and pet both did not mind that much, although the speeds were always below 50kmph.
Sidban85 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th November 2021, 20:00   #2543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Has anyone test driven a diesel AT in bangalore? i've been trying to get a test drive but none of the dealers seem to be having it. I've followed up with Sireesh Auto since Sept first week. They still don't have one. I wonder why only AT diesel isn't available with dealers.
Same here - in touch with anant cars, my home test drive which was specifically for D AT was dropped last min and they got a P AT and on my recent third visit they mentioned it was in workshop and I just went ahead with manual D to get a feel of engine refinement. There is a difference compared to petrol but it was way way more refined than any diesel I have driven so far. The clutch was a different story altogether - it just took all the fun out for me, I can’t see myself driving this with a manual gearbox.

This was more with reference to Xuv 700 - put it down on wrong thread, request the mods to please delete this post.

Last edited by Sandegov : 13th November 2021 at 20:04.
Old 13th November 2021, 22:46   #2544
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some Thars do have it and some just don't. I guess something to do with Chip shortage, early batches of Thars do come with Ecosense in the ICE.
Mine is the first batch (production series 1798) and doesn't have Ecosense - maybe coz it's automatic, and M&M automatics usually do not have it.

Can anyone with a 2020-manufactuted MT confirm if their ICE has Ecosense?
Old 14th November 2021, 01:43   #2545
BHPian

Quote:
Same is happening with my Thar too. Initially I thought my brake shoes are worn out, however while checking its as if brand new. Then I thought its due to some mud or sand in between discs. I got it cleaned by opening both the disc brake shoes, but still the noise is intact. Service center guys got no clue about this issue though.

Apart from this, the burning rubber smell from the rear wheel well is an added headache for me. Other wise, its a great vehicle to drive around.

Oh! I am not the only one it seems. Hopefully, one of us should be able to find the solution to the problem then.

I think it has something to the abs engaging because the noise is similar and I feel a reduction in speed of the car as well.

Are you sure it's the tyre rubber? I get somewhat of a chemical-ly smell inside the cabin at higher revs which I think is from the (emissions control unit- whatever that is called) from under the hood- mine has turned to rusty red from silver because of the heat.
Old 14th November 2021, 08:26   #2546
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Mine is the first batch (production series 1798) and doesn't have Ecosense - maybe coz it's automatic, and M&M automatics usually do not have it.
Mine is a July 2021 manufactured Diesel AT, I have Ecosense option in the Infotainment. Although my car was fitted with the infotainment system on the delivery day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malhi View Post
I think it has something to the abs engaging because the noise is similar and I feel a reduction in speed of the car as well.

Are you sure it's the tyre rubber? I get somewhat of a chemical-ly smell inside the cabin at higher revs which I think is from the (emissions control unit- whatever that is called) from under the hood- mine has turned to rusty red from silver because of the heat.
I have a crunching kind of noise when I apply brakes and the noise is emitted just as the car comes to a full stop.

As per as the burning smell in my Thar, I am sure, it was from the right rear side of the vehicle where we have the exhaust, I opened the Bonnet as well but no smell from inside the engine bay. Might be the hot exhaust or the drum brake or the parking brake fouling inside the drum brake. In my case, it has happened once.
Previously I did have some knocking sound from the rear brakes, but on the left side. It was checked at the service center, they opened the left drum brake assembly and cleaned it. No knocking sound as of now.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 14th November 2021 at 08:27.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 12:49   #2547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Mine is a July 2021 manufactured Diesel AT, I have Ecosense option in the Infotainment. Although my car was fitted with the infotainment system on the delivery day

I have a crunching kind of noise when I apply brakes and the noise is emitted just as the car comes to a full stop.

As per as the burning smell in my Thar, I am sure, it was from the right rear side of the vehicle where we have the exhaust, I opened the Bonnet as well but no smell from inside the engine bay. Might be the hot exhaust or the drum brake or the parking brake fouling inside the drum brake. In my case, it has happened once.
Previously I did have some knocking sound from the rear brakes, but on the left side. It was checked at the service center, they opened the left drum brake assembly and cleaned it. No knocking sound as of now.
Mine is September manufactured and doesn't have Ecosense information. I thought Ecosense is only for Petrol Thars!!
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 17:46   #2548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Mine is September manufactured and doesn't have Ecosense information. I thought Ecosense is only for Petrol Thars!!
My Ecosense information tab is shown in the Car Info tab along with tiretronics.

Another issue is that, the Service center guys are unable to update the software of the HU for reverse camera functionality.
The SA informed me that they have asked Mahindra for the latest software files and thereafter they will call me for the installation.

With the latest software update, I think Ecosense will be removed from the HU.

Btw, anyone has added auto-dimming IRVM on the new Thar? I would like to add a auto-dimming IRVM ASAP and will surely try for DIY

Last edited by dr_TJ : 14th November 2021 at 17:50.
Old 14th November 2021, 17:57   #2549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Coming days are exciting for me as I am planning for a basic audio upgrade.

Teaser
Attachment 2230192
Eagerly waiting for your review of this upgrade, sir. I am torn between getting a JL component upgrade (only) or springing a little extra and getting infinity components, mini basslink sub woofer and amp. The JL components are obviously a lot better but I wonder if they ll be good enough without the amp and underseat subwoofer.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2021, 19:04   #2550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
My Ecosense information tab is shown in the Car Info tab along with tiretronics.
Can you check this, and post a comparo pic of Ecosense from your ICE please?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4949934

Does Ecosense actually give you ratings based on your driving - considering you also have an AT?
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks