Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2023, 12:13   #4036
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Update
I have been informed that my Thar P AT CT (Red) has been shipped finally after a considerable delay. Waiting for its arrival.

thanks
manver786 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 14:38   #4037
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MahindraThor View Post
I was confused as Airway Bill is showing weight of 45 Kg and they charged me accordingly for shipment. On your ++ review I got the confidence of going for ARKA. Can I fit it myself (DIY) as ARKA is offering online support for installation.d.
The pair of side steps / rock sliders which I bought from Arka weigh about 24-26Kg total. The entire three piece underbody armour another 22 -24 odd Kg. The end can guard which is made of mild steel may weigh another 4-6 Kg. The rear diff guard probably another 2Kg. The front bracket maybe another 1kg.

The 3 piece underbody armour can be fitted as a DIY.
You will need a set of Allen Keys and of course the Allen Bolts come in the box along with the armour. You will require access to either a 2 post lift OR a service inspection floor pit and you will need at least one person to help you lift and hold the plates in place while you bolt on the Allen bolts.
Along the way I would suggest spraying just a little WD40 into the bolt holes. And along the edges where the plates meet. So that any ‘tectonic’ movements are lubricated a little.

Here are the pics:
1. Underbody Armour - Aluminium (ARKA)
2. Side Steps/ Rock Sliders - Mild Steel with Good quality paint finish and 3M anti skid tape stuck on the surface (ARKA)
3. Front Powder Coated Mild Steel bracket moint for Fog Lamps (Bimbra)
4. Rear Diff Guard - Powder coated Mild Steel (sourced by the Arka chaps)
5. End Can Guard - Powder Coated Mild Steel (Bimbra)
6. Tumble Folded Rear Seat - (Azad 4x4)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e7fe4f5a4bc748bbb642a2c9c1e95224.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0f5755c2391042798edb6069ab3897d6.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-d89d3d28d8df40bfbd27b44e82b1a9e1.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-f0ea69efbf5f44e4bd4575c8937f85c7.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-bdb7fa390253466cad958f649b4e4b28.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-916bb34c64d24dccb5ffe6f26db21226.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-12fd669bd1e54d5b92772e270eadb4aa.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-4be1cf93d60b4edd883bfd467ab00f0a.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-0e4957c88afa4c0d9b901080b8ef89e2.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-947b809d02774fb1967db84a9485bf09.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 2nd February 2023 at 14:44.
shankar.balan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 4th February 2023, 08:51   #4038
BHPian

My friend took delivery of his Thar RWD. Mahindra has surprised me with the performance - no difference from the 4*4. Except for 4x4 badge no difference in road presence.

Will try to do some mild offroading soon.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20230204wa0010.jpg

Last edited by Axe77 : 5th February 2023 at 20:03. Reason: Typo. Short forms. Punctuation.
jerin.v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2023, 19:22   #4039
Senior - BHPian

Thar petrol owners - with E20 fuel a reality now (source), any adverse impact anticipated on mStallion engine, fuel lines, etc.? As far as I could make out from owners' manual, there is no reference to ethanol blending limitations specified by the manufacturer.

Last edited by cool_dube : 5th February 2023 at 19:23.
Old 6th February 2023, 12:43   #4040
BHPian

We booked an LX Diesel HT AT 4x4 in Grey today and is scheduled for delivery day after.
Wanted suggestions and help from Existing Owners.

Background:
This car will be driven by my father for road trips and off-road adventures(first 4x4 at home) and the odd jaunt in the city. Practicality is not high on the list of wants. The main criteria is that it should not feel like a compromise when compared to a "car".

Going ahead with the following mods. Please chime in as to what can be skipped and what needs to be added.

1. Tyres - Maxxis AT 980 285/60 R18
2. AVO Suspension
3. Damping w/ possible upgrade of the dashboard speakers to inexpensive components and disconnection of the overhead tweeters.
4. 7 Slot Grille
5. ARKA underbody protection
6. Rear Camera - Dealership
7. Seat Covers - Dealership
8. Front and Rear Armrests
9. Headlight Bulb upgrade or This unit from DHC India
10. Bimbra Model M Bumper
11. Knee Padding
12. Dead Pedal

Thank you.
ballfry is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th February 2023, 13:57   #4041
BHPian

This december 2022 confirmed my decision to bring Thar LX Black Diesel MT to home. Costed me 18L on road. As I am typing this post, I have already completed 1000kms and first service is yet to be carried out.

Need
I have my, not so reliable Maruti Zen (2003), which I will be scrapping in April 23. After that I wont have any vehicle. Hence I needed a vehicle. Coming from a very old vehicle I had very limited expectations from the new one. And I did not want lot of gizmos in my vehicle.

Replacement Considered
Nothing else would do. I wanted to buy thar since 2014. But I did not because of soft top and problems associated with it. I did considered buying scorpio n, but that decision did not materialise because of long waiting period, and I did not want to buy a product which is not yet matured (read 1-2 years in market).
I also considered buying Thar AX but price difference between AX and LX is very marginal compared to specs I will be losing.
I would have seriously considered 2wd Thar if it came with 2.2ltr diesel.

Accessoroes Planned
Dashcam
Bimbra rear seat sliders
Auxiliary Head lamps
Bug deflectors
Grab Handle

[ATTACH=WhatsApp Image 20230122 at 12.47.30.jpeg]
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot-20230206-1.55.49-pm.png[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230122-12.47.30.jpeg  

ganeshk4 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 8th February 2023, 22:12   #4042
BHPian

Hi

Can fellow Thar owners please advise on the remote fuel lid opener. Its one thing thas terribly needed as each time one has to give the keys.

I remember in my Octavia one just pushed the lid. I don’t know why Mahindra missed this. Even if a push mechanism can be installed it will save all the wiring etc.
I also need advice on which Bulb to get for Headlight it seems LED is not a good option and am looking at Halogen or HID/ Xenon. Which Projector for fogs ? Cabin light is insufficient and another one or two led needed in the cabin. Please also advise on Good mats which don’t slip and get caught up in breaks.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by moralfibre : 10th February 2023 at 04:51. Reason: Formatting text.
Urorobo is offline   Received Infraction
Old 9th February 2023, 02:46   #4043

Hi guys - I got my Thar (AT, Hardtop, Diesel) delivered last week. This is only the 2nd AT I've ever driven but one issue I'm facing is that the car stalls when I stop. I'm not sure if this is by design or an issue with the car or if I'm missing something at my end. My only other experience with AT was a Seltos which did not have this problem.

This has basically resulted in me using Shifter as a clutch of sorts when I stop and has become extremely difficult to drive in traffic.
Old 9th February 2023, 04:50   #4044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
I also need advice on which Bulb to get for Headlight it seems LED is not a good option and am looking at Halogen or HID/ Xenon

Which Projector for fogs?
Hi,

There are dedicated threads for both of these specific requirements

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ndra-thar.html (Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?)

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modif...ns-market.html (Which Projector Foglamps to choose? So many options in the market)
NA-driver is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 05:37   #4045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
Hi guys - I got my Thar (AT, Hardtop, Diesel) delivered last week. This is only the 2nd AT I've ever driven but one issue I'm facing is that the car stalls when I stop. I'm not sure if this is by design or an issue with the car or if I'm missing something at my end. My only other experience with AT was a Seltos which did not have this problem.

This has basically resulted in me using Shifter as a clutch of sorts when I stop and has become extremely difficult to drive in traffic.
Thars these days are coming equipped with Idle Start-Stop. You have the option to switch it off too.

Earlier reports indicated it was only available in manual variants but now it appears like AT is equipped too.

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 9th February 2023 at 05:42.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 05:46   #4046
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
Hi

the remote fuel lid opener. give the keys.
which Bulb to get for Headlight it am looking at Halogen or HID/ Xenon
Which Projector for fogs ?
Cabin light is insufficient and another one or two led needed in the cabin
Good mats which don’t slip
Quote:
Hi guys - I I'm facing is that the car stalls when I stop. become extremely difficult to drive in traffic.
Bob: Auto Transmission cars cant stall when one presses the brake. Please do check if your issue is the new start/stop system kicking in. I read that the newer Thars have been given this system. Check this at your dealer service.

Urorobo:
They didnt give the remote lid opener preferring to have the key type, because they were offering the convertible top. So they didn't design a different fuel lid system for the hard top. Its the same body shell type. From a manufacturers point of view it reduces complexity of one more variable in SKU planning and helps with efficiency. To me, it is a good practice to switch the vehicle off, hop out, open the fuel tank and watch the fuel fill, pay and leave.

I use Philips Halogens H4 Extreme G Force. You can also consider Osram Nightbreakers. These are very powerful headlamps with excellent throw. I have posted photos elsewhere on the forum on how effective these are.

I use standard Hella 700FF external Fog lamps mounted on the bumper. They are very effective.

Mahindra dealer service accessories department can fit two neat white footwell lamps which will enhance the cabin illumination. You can also add one more such lamp in the rear boot storage area.

I use Michelin’s SUV heavy duty rubber mats which have an excellent underside grip and sit nicely on the plastic vinyl floor coverings of the Thar and do not slide around.
shankar.balan is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th February 2023, 11:59   #4047

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
Thars these days are coming equipped with Idle Start-Stop. You have the option to switch it off too.

Earlier reports indicated it was only available in manual variants but now it appears like AT is equipped too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Bob: Auto Transmission cars cant stall when one presses the brake. Please do check if your issue is the new start/stop system kicking in. I read that the newer Thars have been given this system. Check this at your dealer service.
Thank you! I'll bring this up with the Mahindra folks. Hopefully this is a fixable issue!
Old 9th February 2023, 14:33   #4048
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you! I'll bring this up with the Mahindra folks. Hopefully this is a fixable issue!
This is an additional new feature and nothing needs to be fixed and no need to speak to Mahindra Folks as well.

There is a push button near the key insert that needs to be switched off to make this feature stop working.The annoying thing is that you will have to do this every time you turn on the Thar as otherwise it is always on and the Thar will stall whenever you stop.
udy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 19:04   #4049
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230210-18.59.45.jpeg

This week i came across this 'Proman' grab handles for the Thar. It seems to be a great alternative to the A-pillar drilled option, as these are mounted in place of the existing side handle mounting points. Has anyone tried these yet?
Nair.V8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th February 2023, 19:31   #4050
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Attachment 2417078

This week i came across this 'Proman' grab handles for the Thar. It seems to be a great alternative to the A-pillar drilled option, as these are mounted in place of the existing side handle mounting points. Has anyone tried these yet?
They look nice. Are they metal?
And would there be any info on their load bearing ability?
Because if a large and heavy person uses these to lever himself in, they shouldn’t give way.
I hope they aren’t going to be a potential danger in case of harsh impact. That’s my main worry.

Whereas the integrated A Pillar grab handles in the Wrangler, Land Cruiser, Fortuner and Scorpio N seem much better thought through.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks