Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2023, 12:57   #3961
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Congratulations! The Aquamarine is almost Blue in this photograph!
Thanks AbhiJ, this colour appears to be green/blue/grey depending on the lighting. Initially I wanted Rocky Beige for my Thar, but I've started liking this aquamarine shade now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
A beautiful colour. And welcome to the Thar owner fraternity. Its a very good vehicle for our Indian conditions, civilisation or wilderness.
A great all rounder.
Do take a view of some of the functional upgrades and modifications earlier suggested along the way on this and other Thar threads.
Thank you shankar.balan. I've been a regular follower of this thread since more than a year now, it is an ocean of knowledge for everything related to the Thar. I have enjoyed reading all your posts on this thread, i have considered the AVO/Ironman suspension as a must have future upgrade. For now i will be starting of with minor upgrades to enhance interior comfort such as seat covers with additional bolstering (lumbar & thigh), front & read arm rests, A-pillar grab handles, mobile holder, etc. I plan to keep this vehicle for a really long time, will be doing all upgrades at a leisurely pace.
Nair.V8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 13:01   #3962
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trends2day View Post
MLD for thar is manufactured by Eaton, if my memory serves me correct, Eaton has also started offering after market MLD upgrade for vehicles in india and costs around Rs. 70,000 - 80,000.
Thanks for the update.

Would also like to know more about converting the front axles into solid ones with manual diff lock along with other better options for rears as well.
Old 17th January 2023, 13:48   #3963
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
Thanks for the update.

Would also like to know more about converting the front axles into solid ones with manual diff lock along with other better options for rears as well.
No idea about that. May be you can refer to this discussion between @GTO and other members regarding off the shelf Eaton MLD https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-t...f-shelf-4.html (Eaton MLD (M-Locker) now available off the shelf)
Or contact Eaton directly through their website.
trends2day is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 19:51   #3964
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
The Motorola is afterall a Chinese brand with an MNC legacy brand whitewash.
Not holding a brief for Motorola, honestly never bothered with Chinese brand or whatever, as long as it works and work it has, 2 units down with almost 100% wireless android auto connectivity.

Quote:
AA wireless is well established in the market with three dongles of which carsifi is one of the better ones. It gives you a lot of tweaking options as well via the companion app.
Never tried, guess didnt need to because of reasons mentioned above but I've heard only good things about Carsifi.

Quote:
If the wired and wireless configs are both borked, one an only imagine it's a shoddy job. Further, escalating to the regional service manager, one Mr. Sonam Khanna, has yeiled zero results. Emails go without any response for months. I'm really having second thoughts about my scorpio N delivery in March.
Evidently your experience leaves much to be desired from Mahindra and it's really commendable that you have taken up the issue seriously and following up with them for over an year. I'm sure you would have already done so, but some folks have got good results from cmdoffice@mahindra.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Can you update your findings after a long drive, between 1 to 3 hours of continuous usage please?
In between two drives of an hour each, there was only one instance of the map suddenly disappearing from the screen on the return trip, which reappeared within couple of seconds. Root cause unknown.

Aside, it's quite a liberating feeling to have the phone in your pocket and not dangling precariously from a wire however the only downside is that now the battery drains real fast as it is no more connected to the charging port.
yuv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2023, 20:53   #3965
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuv View Post
In between two drives of an hour each, there was only one instance of the map suddenly disappearing from the screen on the return trip, which reappeared within couple of seconds. Root cause unknown.

Aside, it's quite a liberating feeling to have the phone in your pocket and not dangling precariously from a wire however the only downside is that now the battery drains real fast as it is no more connected to the charging port.
Yup, that's the USB Disconnect issue we're talking about - in your case, the dongle is getting disconnected from the USB though is maintaining connection with the phone - and reconnecting to the USB.

While this is irritating at best, at worst - when you are in a new city and are depending on Google Maps to navigate, this disconnect is enough to lose directions in traffic and run around...

Wireless Android Auto is a pain for long duration if the vehicle doesn't have wireless charging too, or we're carrying a power bank...
Old 18th January 2023, 00:18   #3966
BHPian

Hi all, I am contemplating to buy a Thar. This will be a second car for me (if I decide to buy), my first one being Nissan Kicks Diesel. While I know it will be a Diesel Automatic, I am confused big time between Hard top and Convertible Top.
The idea of getting a convertible leaves a smile on my face, however, I have seen and read reviews about the Convertible top and how difficult it can get during those long rides with the soft top flapping over your head. I will definitely be using Thar for long drives, going places (like Mumbai to Leh). So I don’t want to compromise on those aspects.
Now that Thar is 2.5 years old in the market, can owners of a convertible top throw some light on how difficult or easy is it to live with a Convertible top?
Old 18th January 2023, 01:08   #3967
BANNED

[quote=GTO;5451341]My sexy red Jeep reaches the showroom . Sleepless nights begin!

Congratulations on your new Jeep. Hope you travel lakhs of km with it. So now what will happen to the your other mahindra cj ? Will you keep or sell off it ?
Old 18th January 2023, 02:55   #3968
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahil624 View Post
Hi all, I am contemplating to buy a Thar. This will be a second car for me (if I decide to buy), my first one being Nissan Kicks Diesel. While I know it will be a Diesel Automatic, I am confused big time between Hard top and Convertible Top.
The idea of getting a convertible leaves a smile on my face, however, I have seen and read reviews about the Convertible top and how difficult it can get during those long rides with the soft top flapping over your head. I will definitely be using Thar for long drives, going places (like Mumbai to Leh). So I don’t want to compromise on those aspects.
Now that Thar is 2.5 years old in the market, can owners of a convertible top throw some light on how difficult or easy is it to live with a Convertible top?
I am very happy with the convertible. Done 15,000km already in 8 months. Thar convertible is my primary car and I can confirm, that the flapping noise isn't very bothersome at all. If you find the noise too intrusive at highway speeds, crank up the stereo volume to drone out the noise. Have done Lucknow-Hyderabad run too and some kilometers into the trip, I even forgot about the flapping (or maybe I got accustomed). I must add that I don't do speeds above 80-90 kph on highways and rarely touch 100-110 kph.

Yes, if you compare Thar C/T to a refined C-SUV then yes, flapping will be there but then that's not a correct comparison or expectation. For me, flapping noise at city speeds (10 to 55 kph)or in stop-go traffic is actually nothing to worry about and isn't really noticeable. I humbly suggest, if practicality is what you want, get a Jimny or Scorpio N. Thar is your second car, make it your fun car!

Once the roof comes down, the experience and happiness get elevated to another level! A convertible motoring experience is a very unique one, something to experience and cherish.

Last edited by AMG1 : 18th January 2023 at 03:02.
AMG1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 07:47   #3969
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Ie. I humbly suggest, if practicality is what you want, get a Jimny or Scorpio N. Thar is your second car, make it your fun car!

Once the roof comes down, the experience and happiness get elevated to another level! A convertible motoring experience is a very unique one, something to experience and cherish.
@sahil624 and @AMG1

1.If you look for practicality and storage and relative safety of your belongings and odds and ends and if you don’t have secure parking etc, then it is better that you buy the Hardtop Thar. This way you will still have the Thar and it is indeed a fantastic and practical and more or less perfect vehicle for our Indian conditions, civilisation as well as wilderness. Even more important, as your second vehicle it will give you all the jollies that you seek.

2.If you (like GTO and multiple others here) intend to own this only as your ‘pure fun car’ and it is, as you said, your ‘non-primary car’, and you aren’t going to keep/ store ‘things’ and ‘odds and ends’ in it, and if you have secure parking, then surely you MUST go for the convertible. There is NOTHING absolutely like a convertible, for that absolute elevated ‘super-fun’ factor. You can be a child again!

And honestly the convertible just looks delicious, especially in the Red and Aquamarine shades.

Let me tempt you a little by placing some pics.

(The last one is my own Hardtop Thar. And in all honesty even to me, the Red Convertible looks more desirable.)
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-8ada170673b644a7bdc884d57f007e98.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-bcb78e2ff0d342df9c8696a8ed3f5d12.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-6519d05dd0a3483189746c84467f903b.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-e13c4eeae3a94cbd9bcd31e9e3902d54.jpeg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 18th January 2023 at 07:59.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 12:56   #3970
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trends2day View Post
Here is the 100% confirmed info for this issue. I figured it out myself and verified all these info while buying my Thar in november. Mahindra Customer Care & dealer guys had no confirmed info for the same, not even the trainer at Mahindra whose main job is to impart such knowledge to dealership.

MLD has been removed from all petrol variants manufactured post mid September. Cut off VIN number for this change is N2J11222.

MLD is now available only with top end Diesel LX models by default (both AT & MT).
My Thar, D AT HT LX, is due to arrive next month. Upon enquiring on the MLD with my dealer, he too doesn't have much clarity and says that MLD is no more available in any of the variants as per information from Mahindra. Since it's largely a plug and play, I'm hoping to fit it at dealer level in case it doesn't come fitted from factory.

Does anyone have more information whether it's still available with D AT? Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 13:42   #3971
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@sahil624 and @AMG1

1.If you look for practicality and storage and relative safety of your belongings and odds and ends and if you don’t have secure parking etc, then it is better that you buy the Hardtop Thar. This way you will still have the Thar and it is indeed a fantastic and practical and more or less perfect vehicle for our Indian conditions, civilisation as well as wilderness. Even more important, as your second vehicle it will give you all the jollies that you seek.
Very valid points. You are spot on the safety/security of soft top. This is a fear I have when I park in less-than-perfect parking/areas. As a rule, I refrain from keeping any valuable inside.

Also, the first two pics you shared of the softop is from some aftermarket softop company I guess, as the top is very different.

@sahil624 Taking this opportunity to share pictures of a Hardtop I took alongside my Softop from the rear and a picture of softop with its mechanism bar.. This might give you a good comparison of looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230118-13.19.26.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20230118-13.21.06.jpeg  

AMG1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:06   #3972
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG1 View Post
Also, the first two pics you shared of the softop is from some aftermarket softop company I guess, as the top is very different.
Yes those are the Armoro after market canvas soft tops. A friend uses their after market top on his Gypsy and is extremely happy.
Armoro products are strong and they are not cheaply priced. Im using their canvas seat covers and their storage tubes and the grab handle bag too.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:10   #3973
BHPian

Thanks @AMG1 and @shankar.Balan. The pictures look really good of both the Thars. And I do agree with @Shankar that Red convertible is indeed drool worthy.
While I do understand if one goes for the convertible top there should not be anything valuable if the parking is on the streets. However, is there an increased risk of entire vehicle being stolen from the streets in case of CT?
Old 18th January 2023, 14:16   #3974
BANNED

Quote:
However, is there an increased risk of entire vehicle being stolen from the streets in case of CT?
Yes it is a definite risk. More than the Hard top.
But there are ways to mitigate such risks.
Here are a few possibilities;
1. Dashcam.
2. Home Security Cam
3. Steering and Accelerator Lock
4. Wheel Clamp
Multiple options of these are easily available on Amazon.in at reasonable prices.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th January 2023, 14:23   #3975
BHPian

Quote:
While I do understand if one goes for the convertible top there should not be anything valuable if the parking is on the streets. However, is there an increased risk of entire vehicle being stolen from the streets in case of CT?
Yes the risk is definitely more with the soft top since you just need to open the chain of the side transparent area which is easily accessible from outside.

But why are you worrying so much, just get the Thar with either of the roof option and buy the other type of the rooftop along with it or later if you feel the need.

So whenever you know that you are going for a fun trip and car will be parked back securely at the home after the trip, keep the softtop installed and other times keep the hardtop installed, thats it. Such a flexible vehicle it is.
tbppjpr is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks