Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2023, 04:33   #3916
yuv
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Hi All,

Got myself a fancy number for my Diva today.
As it also happens to be the default choice number of a well known celebrity, I didn't want to take any chances so not only did I engage an agent, but also visited the RTO personally along with him. The efforts paid off and Voila, within an hour or so the job was done.

Even though an agent was engaged, i must say that in hindsight it probably wasn't necessary. The VIP number guide published elsewhere on this forum is bang on and the entire process hardly takes an hour or two. Just keep a tab online for your desired number (Fyi LMV 4 wheeler goes off the shelf in a zippy), ensure that your DD is ready a day prior, land up early at the RTO and don't divulge the number to anyone (including the agent), till the very end, i.e. Cashier window. There was an altercation between two agents just ahead of us as one claimed that the other had plagiarized his number.

Now just waiting for the registration to be completed.
Aside, I was quite impressed as to how much the Andheri RTO has transformed. Everything looked much more organized than a few years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Congratulations! Could you please post pictures of your MID. All the menus
Thanks a lot. Sure thing bro, shall do so shortly.
yuv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 06:01   #3917
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Regarding the RTO, the transformation is there to see everywhere and in every operative carried out. Most procedures are online and only prescribed fees is to be paid. The agents, touts are present but they are only for the lazy. Even special numbers are seamless.
rajeevsulu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2023, 19:52   #3918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I posted a similar issue on this thread a couple of weeks back - finally I have some company!

other vehicles usually have a matting underbody to keep the heat from getting transmitted from the cat-con to the metal underbody and then inside the cabin.
Do you think this can be done as an after-market fitment? If it's just thermal insulation, then it might be possible to install some insulation matting. I'm contemplating the upcoming RWD petrol AT Thar, and a solution to this issue can bring some peace to the already irrational decision.
Old 3rd January 2023, 20:07   #3919
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhav-Van View Post
Do you think this can be done as an after-market fitment? If it's just thermal insulation, then it might be possible to install some insulation matting. I'm contemplating the upcoming RWD petrol AT Thar, and a solution to this issue can bring some peace to the already irrational decision.
Very possible and that's exactly what I was suggested. One can also look at installing floor mats that can keep the heat from getting to your feet.

Having said that, the heating occurrence is few and far between; it is not consistent. And I myself still continue to use the stock rubber mats.
Old 5th January 2023, 07:57   #3920
BHPian

The power socket in thar has a printed rated capacity of 12v 120w, however when i check the user manual for power socket Fuse capacity it says 15A. So technically shouldn't the rated capacity be 180w (12v x 15A) instead of 120w as printed on power socket cover?

Has anyone tried using an accessory or car charger higher than 120w ? Any damage expected in using a 154w car charger?
Old 6th January 2023, 21:06   #3921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Loose ignition coils. They have been switched and installed. I have driven for about 1000kms.
The issue isn't completely gone. The engine check light isn't coming on but the jerks in very light form are felt sometimes only during pedal to the metal acceleration.

The dealer has been informed. I'll be giving them a date when they'll just send the techs over to dehradun to change the ignition coils.

Update:

So we again went on a problem resolving trip. Took the jeep above 100. Mashed the throttle. Jerked and went into Limp Mode.

Attached the OBD diagnostic tool asap. 3rd Cylinder Misfiring was the error. Discussed with the dealership. The cotech informed me that last time cylinder 4 misfire was detected and they had swapped the coil to cylinder 3. Coil was the culprit then.

The Meerut dealership Shri Shyaamji Mahindra arranged for an Ignition Coil and a complete set of 4 spark plugs as well in Dehradun itself. Items changed and problem resolved.

So problem is finally gone. And it's running perfectly.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20221226_203931.jpg

Last edited by Aditya : 7th January 2023 at 06:03. Reason: As requested
navpreet318 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th January 2023, 07:29   #3922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arunpools View Post
[h3] Are they worth it? I think so.
Yes, it is worth your money. I had been using Osram Night Breaker Laser 150 H4 since March 2020 in my Ignis. With this, the light for a halogen bulb is much better than the stock ones. Midnight driving in a forest was easier with the Osram light. Just upgraded to Osram Night Breaker 200. Have kept the 150 as spare. Anyone who runs stock halogen in commuter cars should immediately upgrade to Osram Night Breaker or similar bulbs. Costs like 5 cups of Blue Tokai type coffee. Invest on the right thing

Last edited by driver52001 : 7th January 2023 at 07:32.
driver52001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2023, 10:56   #3923
BHPian

Hi friends,

An update!

I had booked Thar P AT CT in December 2022. I have now been informed that it will be delivered in about two weeks from now.

I have opted for the following accessories:

1. Door Wiser
2. Rear door tray
3. Rear camera

I have not thought of any modifications as yet. Would welcome suggestions.

The only thing that is scaring me is to secure the vehicle. Any suggestions on how to secure it be it viz Anti theft GPS system, gear lock etc.

For securing the soft top, can it be locked with the small locks that are available for luggage.

I know the locks etc. are not not professional thiefs but just a deterrent.

Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 18:57   #3924
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

I had been using Tata Motors cars ever since I sold my Ford Figo in 2015. We have had Zest and Tiago in the past at home. I have a Harrier at home now and a Nexon till few days back. I sold my Nexon (actually exchanged with Mahindra dealer) to get an automatic diesel Thar. Thar had always been a dream and I had been following Thar ever since its launch and even the MM540s before the Thar.

Owing to practical reasons and limitations of using Thar as a daily driver, I had postponed the plan to take a Thar. Finally now I have taken the plunge to get one and had made a booking with a dealer in Kochi, Kerala. I have been strongly advised by my family and friends against this but I have decided to give it a try. I am expecting delivery towards end of this month. Like BHPian Manver786 I am also planning to get a rear door tray and a reverse camera apart from the basics like mud flaps. Additionally I am planning to get fuel tank protector and radiator protection guard kit fixed. I would be doing off-road trips occasionally only.

My family lives in a different city and only me and my wife will be using the car regularly. The question that still haunts me is if this will be a viable replacement for the Nexon and if I will be able to use it as a daily driver. I am not concerned about the fuel efficiency part and my concern is mostly related to the comfort and practicality part! Any feedback from BHPians who uses Thar as a daily driver would be much helpful. Also inputs on any additional accessories needed would be great!

Thank you all!
Old 10th January 2023, 19:51   #3925
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghulsudheesh View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am expecting delivery towards end of this month. Like BHPian Manver786 I am also planning to get a rear door tray and a reverse camera apart from the basics like mud flaps. Additionally I am planning to get fuel tank protector and radiator protection guard kit fixed. I would be doing off-road trips occasionally only.

The question that still haunts me is if this will be a viable replacement for the Nexon and if I will be able to use it as a daily driver. I am not concerned about the fuel efficiency part and my concern is mostly related to the comfort and practicality part! Any feedback from BHPians who uses Thar as a daily driver would be much helpful. Also inputs on any additional accessories needed would be great!

Thank you all!
Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786 View Post
Hi friends,

I had booked Thar P AT CT in December 2022. I have now been informed that it will be delivered in about two weeks from now.

I have opted for the following accessories:

1. Door Wiser
2. Rear door tray
3. Rear camera

I have not thought of any modifications as yet. Would welcome suggestions.

Thanks
Guys. Welcome aboard the Thar bandwagon!
Please refer to my posts numbered 3577,3585 and 3633 on this thread amongst others.
Ive been using the Thar since Feb 2021 and over the last 2 years have made a number of additions, enhancements and upgrades to make it more comfortable and functional.
Yes I use it for most things. In city.
Highway. Hills. The works.
Its my all purpose go anywhere anytime Grand Tourer.
I hope these posts Ive listed above will help you in some manner.
Any other info you want, please PM me- I will do my best to help.
All the best!

SB
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2023, 20:23   #3926
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Guys. Welcome aboard the Thar bandwagon!
Please refer to my posts numbered 3577,3585 and 3633 on this thread amongst others.
Ive been using the Thar since Feb 2021 and over the last 2 years have made a number of additions, enhancements and upgrades to make it more comfortable and functional.
Yes I use it for most things. In city.
Highway. Hills. The works.
Its my all purpose go anywhere anytime Grand Tourer.
I hope these posts Ive listed above will help you in some manner.
Any other info you want, please PM me- I will do my best to help.
All the best!

SB
Thank you so much BHPian SB! Indeed a Senior BHPian which I could make out from your threads. Your posts are very helpful and insightful. I was actually considering fixing a dead pedal but after considering your post and my height which is more than six feet, I have dropped the idea.
raghulsudheesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 00:16   #3927

I have been driving a Thar Petrol Manual HT since September 2022 (my first car). I love my Thar more than any other thing in the world and I want to drive it and own for hopefully for a long time. But to make sure of that I need to maintain it and since its a manual one of the most important things to take care of are the gears and clutch, this is where my problem starts as I find the clutch of my car extremely sensitive in lower gears especially 2nd. If I try to release the clutch fast the car jerks and i find it very annoying to take so much care when releasing it especially when i have to get going fast. In higher gear 4-5-6 this does not happen and I have experienced this “behaviour” in other Mahindras(2019 Scorpio S11) but its not as severe. Is this something only I am experiencing or does every other Petrol Manual owner feels this way or is there a way of maybe a way I can get a workaround this by maybe adapting my driving style.

P.S This issue is really getting in may of just ripping it up and enjoying my car with some good roads and some spirited driving.
Old 11th January 2023, 00:16   #3928
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manver786 View Post
Hi
The only thing that is scaring me is to secure the vehicle. Any suggestions on how to secure it be it viz Anti theft GPS system, gear lock etc.

For securing the soft top, can it be locked with the small locks that are available for luggage.

I know the locks etc. are not not professional thiefs but just a deterrent.

Thanks
You should look up this thread.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...tem-alarm.html (Shockingly, the Mahindra Thar doesn't have a security system / alarm)

There is no security, soft or hard top alike.

But, welcome to the club, and countless workshop visits. I think the best that we get out of all this is an irreplaceable, unavoidable, deep understanding of 4x4 and 4x2 vehicles, bonus with the owners manual .

I vote yay.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 00:18   #3929
BHPian

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230110_185610.jpg

New software installed.
Android disconnection is the same as ever. Today the service guys said they cannot fix anything. The best they can do is hope for a software fix. I have asked the Nippon engineer to check on USB redrivers on the original PCB.. One can hope.

I have tried carsifi. Wireless android that worked flawlessly on a jeep renegade in the UK for 3 months. Disconnects here every few minutes.

I have tried short shielded cables.
I have tried a demuxed via 160 chip usbA to usbC converter. All the same - useless.

Meanwhile, the major OS update for the head unit only seemingly resolves some car play issues and changes the company logo.

Last edited by wooka : 11th January 2023 at 00:21.
wooka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 00:53   #3930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Android disconnection is the same as ever. .......
I faced a similar android disconnection issue earlier. Was using a high quality shielded short cable.

Then I bought a generic original Samsung high quality cable from the Samsung store. It's same as what comes with the phone. Only USB A to C.
Now the disconnections have gone down quite a lot. Now it's like once a week or so.
That too when the cable gets a jerk from the phone falling off the center console etc.

Seems it boils down to poor quality USB ports being used which don't maintain a tight and constant contact. This slight contact break causes the AA to get disconnected and reconnected.

But for me now it's also seemless reconnection and the music or whatever was going on continues.

Try that. Maybe it helps. Else get a good computer guy alomg with a car audio guy to replace that USB port since it might have gotten damaged. Should resolve or reduce the issue.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks