Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2023, 01:11   #3931
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I'd agree but for the fact that

1. Many cables used. All shielded. Some gold plated.
2. Usb ports changed.
3. Phones changed.
4. Disconnection more frequent if audio is playing.
5. FM - only one station works in Delhi - 107.2 (I know, not relevant, but true!)
6. Reconnection is ad hoc. It may or may not reconnect.
7. Using a wireless dongle that has negligible weight - and the cable is 4 inches short. What gives? The wired connection is more stable.
8. Software frequently updated, no dice.
9. The difference between hardware 0.01 and 0.02 is... Just the screen OEM. Got confirmation of this info today. So, you're not missing much. Newer models without GPS have the same head unit just don't have the software CAPS (graphics people will know.)

I'm taking these people to court for this too. Sadly, it's been over a year of dodging the bullet. Today two engineers (Junior Co teks?) admitted changing the cable is a hit and miss - a lot of people continue to suffer.

Meanwhile a person at Nippon is checking whether they have a USB redriver on the original PCB. I'll post back soon.

Last edited by wooka : 11th January 2023 at 01:12.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 08:46   #3932
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Android disconnection is the same as ever.
I am using Bluetooth audio streaming in my Thar.

- Not a single disconnection issue in 1 month & 400 km.

- Seamless connection upon starting the car.

- Phone can stay in my pocket. No need to connect to a cable like for Android Auto.

- More importantly, the volume level via Bluetooth is significantly more than in Android Auto. I did back-to-back comparisons & enjoy Bluetooth audio a lot more. Other BHPians seeing the same?

- I deploy voice typing sometimes to send notes to myself. Android Auto disables voice typing, but it's very much active via Bluetooth. This is important to me.

- Mine is a Flip phone, so if I need Google Maps, I can park the phone in the center console and fold the screen up for directions. Have to look a little lower, yet it works like a charm (already used to doing the same in my 530d which doesn't have Android Auto).

Last edited by GTO : 11th January 2023 at 08:47.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 09:34   #3933
BHPian

Hi All

I am getting a new Thar petrol MT this month.

Could someone please advise what accessories should one buy from Dealer (India Garage, Bangalore) and which ones from outside. Please do advise a trustworthy auto parts for Thar accessories in Bangalore

Besides the usual like radiator and fuel tank guards, I wanted to get hand rests for all seats and replacement of entertainment unit to a bigger 11 inch screen to accommodate 360 degree camera.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Old 11th January 2023, 12:15   #3934
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Meanwhile, the major OS update for the head unit only seemingly resolves some car play issues and changes the company logo.
I have been using this version for a while, and yeah - no change in the disconnection behaviour. This is the one I'd posted about in this thread a while back saying there were issues activating the rear camera accessory in, hope that's solved for now.

I have also changed the USB port to the newer, single USB ones - no change again.

Btw, you'd have lost the built-in navigation maps with this 2.00 update...

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Try that. Maybe it helps. Else get a good computer guy alomg with a car audio guy to replace that USB port since it might have gotten damaged. Should resolve or reduce the issue.
The problem is, the disconnection may not occur for hours together - I almost reached Bangalore from Hyderabad without a disconnection. But could also happen within 20 to 40 minutes - though it reconnects within a few seconds, the timing can be irritating especially if you're navigating with Google Maps on Android Auto, and are in a new/ unknown territory where you need maps. Miss a turn when it disconnects, and you'll, at best take a detour, or worst case end up in a situation (like drove into a no-entry or one-way).

Luckily, I've only been taking detours so far because of this. And made it a practice to have another phone with maps for the same destination as a fallback.

So far, here's what's I have -
  • Phones with OE cables (Motorola, OnePlus, Huawei, Apple)
  • Phones with expensive, good quality 3rd party cables
  • Software updates up to latest versions
  • Submitted videos of the issue along with details such as software version, Bluetooth version, and logs from the vehicle (which shows USB disconnection) to M&M through my MASS
  • USB port change from the stock 2-port fast charging + Android Auto to the newer single port as a follow-up for the previous point
The current status is that they're working on another software update.

Btw changing the USB port won't help, I've tested the port and the connectors of both the original one that came with my Thar (2-port) and the replacement, they're fine. If at all it's a port issue, it should be on the headunit end...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Bluetooth streaming never was an issue, at least not after they fixed the Bluetooth not connecting when turning on the vehicle, needing a key-off key-on in the 2020/ early 2021 through a software update.

This issue is unrelated to Bluetooth, and is to do with the USB Port, or rather how the headunit handles the USB Port.

Audio over BT is definitely louder, maybe even sound better. With Android Auto, audio is routed through USB (only phone calls use BT when connected to Android Auto), and hence BT audio uses the phones volume controls, codec quality, etc. which is bypassed in Android Auto.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 11th January 2023 at 12:18.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 12:19   #3935
BHPian

Thanks for the write up.
Well if I've lost offline navigation that I use extensively in the Himalayas, that's more ammo for the lawsuit. I'll double check and post back.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 13:36   #3936
BHPian

Quote:
New software installed.
Android disconnection is the same as ever.
Last time I asked for an update these guys had refused stating this 2.xx still has some faults and are waiting for update. I was informed that this has some stability issues some which lead to head unit freezing, so for then they were avoiding this. This was mid December.

Did you find any changes in MID after updating? Like it shows music streaming in MID or DPF Levels. Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

- Not a single disconnection issue in 1 month & 400 km.
There was never problem with Bluetooth. Issue was with Android Auto. Most importantly with Maps. During a trip when connection loses that is where the problem starts and it is irregular. I couldn't even show this to MASS. Sometimes whole trip goes smoothly without any issue and sometimes it disconnects 5 times for a 5 km chore. Quite irritating.

Does your Thar have music streaming details in MID?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I have been using this version for a while, and yeah - no change in the disconnection behaviour.
I'm not getting this then.

Quote:
Btw, you'd have lost the built-in navigation maps with this 2.00 update...
What??????? Even for the ones with GPS they're removing maps altogether? Rather than getting their act together they are hell bent on removing things from already little specced car. Thanks man for the info!

OT: Anything on DPF levels on MID?

Quote:
Audio over BT is definitely louder, maybe even sound better. With Android Auto, audio is routed through USB (only phone calls use BT when connected to Android Auto), and hence BT audio uses the phones volume controls, codec quality, etc. which is bypassed in Android Auto.
I don't know how audio is routed but quality remains almost the same however I connect. I am saying this as I am using Poweramp equaliser along. I found Android Auto's quality little better than bluetooth maybe it has something to do with settings.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2023, 23:26   #3937

3rd party canvas top on new Thar convertible

I am not sure if I am breaking any queue or not by picking to post this question as a new topic.

Anyways, I wanted to seek advice / thoughts on 3rd party convertible top for new Thar. I am not very sure but recently in Goa, I saw one with fixed side panes implying that we do not have to struggle opening and, specially putting the side panes back after enjoying our open rides in Thar. I am sure many who have convertible Thar would have struggled to zip up the side panes while closing the top back.
Any thoughts??🙏
Alokmj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 10:12   #3938
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: 3rd party canvas top on new Thar convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alokmj View Post
I on 3rd party convertible top for new Thar. I am not very sure but recently in Goa, I saw one with fixed side panes implying that we do not have to struggle opening and, specially putting the side panes back after enjoying our open rides in Thar. I🙏
Take a look at this Armoro option. As far as I know Armoro is the only company offering alternative soft tops for Thar and Gypsy etc.

I am using Armoro canvas Seat Covers and roll cage storage tubes and the passenger grab handle bags and all. The canvas they use is of good quality. Tough.

A friend of mine uses their soft top on his Gypsy and he is very happy with it. He is particularly happy with the fact that they can roll up the sides and have a more ‘open’ experience.

See the pictures/ screenshots attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-16be7417a6064be28efbb2c33ec1319a.png  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-ca99bd1250314529be94a0a66c275dee.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-df92a3ec975943d5b56eb75fbe2bddc4.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th January 2023, 10:34   #3939
udy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Did you find any changes in MID after updating? Like it shows music streaming in MID or DPF Levels. Anything?

Does your Thar have music streaming details in MID?

OT: Anything on DPF levels on MID?
I think you are getting confused between DEF and DPF here as its the DEF (Ad Blu) levels that pop up on the MID and not DPF. As for Music streaming, its just an icon on the MID as of now and nothing under it.

Mine is a October made Diesel Thar with the updated MID software, if that makes any difference.

Last edited by udy : 12th January 2023 at 10:35.
udy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 05:16   #3940
BHPian

Guys my Thar is almost here. The dealer insists that the Petrol Auto has a diff lock, but, after perusing some posts here, it appears to have been removed from the Petrol variants altogether. Is this true? If so I’m not going ahead with my booking. I might change to a diesel with diff lock or turn my attention to the Jimny if I don’t want to live with Diesel. If this is true, it’s really a head scratching dirty move on Mahindra’s part.
Old 13th January 2023, 11:37   #3941
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp! View Post
Guys my Thar is almost here. The dealer insists that the Petrol Auto has a diff lock, but, after perusing some posts here, it appears to have been removed from the Petrol variants altogether. Is this true? If so I’m not going ahead with my booking. I might change to a diesel with diff lock or turn my attention to the Jimny if I don’t want to live with Diesel. If this is true, it’s really a head scratching dirty move on Mahindra’s part.
Check out brochure in posts above. If your is recently manufactured then nope, yours doesn't have one. Diesel too they have mentioned it as optional - God knows how it is implemented because Mahindra doesn't customise or ask for these features during booking so go with the brochure.

Yes, it is a really dirty move but not so dirty like false advertising for anti theft alarm. Link (Shockingly, the Mahindra Thar doesn't have a security system / alarm)
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 15:48   #3942
BHPian

Quote:
Check out brochure in posts above. If your is recently manufactured then nope, yours doesn't have one. Diesel too they have mentioned it as optional - God knows how it is implemented because Mahindra doesn't customise or ask for these features during booking so go with the brochure.

Yes, it is a really dirty move but not so dirty like false advertising for anti theft alarm. Link (Shockingly, the Mahindra Thar doesn't have a security system / alarm)
It is a damn shame. The dealership claims that no new bookings with the diff lock are being accepted. If that is the case, I may just cancel the car altogether. I would like to drive it off road, and, in the off-chance I need it, I'd like to have the option over the BLD alone.
Old 13th January 2023, 17:58   #3943
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Could you please post pictures of your MID. All the menus.
Here you go, please let me know if you need anything specific additionally.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165517.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165514.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165429.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165319.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165256.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165249.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165243.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165132.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165129.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165126.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165120.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20230113_165022.jpg  

yuv is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:30   #3944
yuv
BHPian

Quote:
Attachment 2403018

I have tried carsifi. Wireless android that worked flawlessly on a jeep renegade in the UK for 3 months. Disconnects here every few minutes
Have you tried the Motorola MA1. I had similar issues with another vehicle on Android Auto and it got sorted with the MA1. Have ordered another one from the US which is landing here tomorrow, shall let you know the results with Thar.

Android Auto or CarPlay has always been very unstable and after millions of experiments, here are a few tips for android (although most are applicable to iOS as well), which maybe helpful to others:
1) Use a good / preferably original Samsung cable. The shorter the cable, the better.
2) Place you mobile on a soft surface (which is hard to find in a car), if need be use a sponge or even the microfiber cloth underneath to give it some cushioning. Else expect a disconnection on every bump.
3) Don't panic every time it disconnects, 90% of the times it will reconnect on its own.
4) If not, then plug out / in the cable, which should resolve 5% of such issues. Lastly for the remaining 5% of the adamant issues, reset Android Auto in the Vehicle menu or reboot you mobile, in that order (both after disconnecting the cable and stopping your vehicle at a safe place).
5) Invest in a good wireless dongle like the MA1, this eliminates most of the connection issues, if not all.

Last edited by yuv : 13th January 2023 at 18:34. Reason: Updated more info.
yuv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2023, 18:46   #3945
BHPian

Re: 3rd party canvas top on new Thar convertible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alokmj View Post
Anyways, I wanted to seek advice / thoughts on 3rd party convertible top for new Thar. I am not very sure but recently in Goa, I saw one with fixed side panes implying that we do not have to struggle opening and, specially putting the side panes back after enjoying our open rides in Thar. I am sure many who have convertible Thar would have struggled to zip up the side panes while closing the top back.
Any thoughts??🙏
You must have seen the base AX softop Thar. That one comes with fixed non removable soft top. Answering your second question, initially it was tricky but yes after practise I find opening and closing the top easy (have done both process alone too multiple times now).
A trick: For Side panels, first bring the chain to the starting of bend/curve and leave it there, then put the panel edges into their gullies and only after that move the chain to its last position. This will make the panel fitting very easy. There is one very good video available on net on the top up/down process of Thar that I had posted couple of posts back.
AMG1 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks