Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2021, 18:29   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Adding to the above post (sorry, I seem to have missed the time window for editing the post now).

I just got a call from sales rep. He is stating that the chassis of the vehicle was manufactured in the month of Jun 2021. However, due to the chip / parts shortage the vehicle manufacturing took a long time. That is the reason the manufactured date shows Jun 2021. I've requested them provide this information to me over an email so that it can be authorized / go on paper. He said, he'll have to speak to M&M and his management before getting this on email. The long wait seems to be entering 12th month and would continue.

Does anyone know in what stage of the manufacturing do they allocate the VIN or Chassis/serial number to the vehicle? Do they do it at the completion of the vehicle manufacturing or during the stage when chassis manufacturing completed!!!

Last edited by Ketan : 26th October 2021 at 18:54.
Old 26th October 2021, 20:22   #2432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
I have received the VIN for my allocation today, the mfg month seems to be June this year and the sr# is 120xx. It's LX D AT HT Mys Cpr. I have asked sales rep about the reason, yet to hear another story in response.
Is this because of the chip shortage that the car may have parked in the factory for these many months? What are the other possibilities you can think of?
TIA
Less likely. Took delivery of my July manufactured Thar (VIN too indicating July) on 29th July. Apart from color, which is black, rest all is identical LX D AT HT. Why would they install chips in July car before June car, ofcourse unless the paint was not available. Sr # is 2XXXX
Tourer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 00:32   #2433
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of my Red Petrol Hard Top automatic in Dehradun yesterday
The entire process was way faster than what I imagined it to me. Booked the vehicle online on September 10th and got a call that it had arrived on October 15th.
The CPD I was given was 14th of December.

I was quite happy with DPM Mahindra Dehradun and found them quite responsive. They were quite open to my requests for taking only the accessories I wanted to and were able to match my Insurance quote as well.

The accessories I went with were - Mud flaps, rear parking camera, body cover (camo), Scuff plate and front parking sensors.

The mfg date mentions October 21 and my Serial number is 34xxx.
The RTO fees got updated today morning and I was stuck with some work so was unable to drive it anywhere else today.

I have only been able to do about 30kms so far so here's my very initial impression.

Oh and did I mention I bought it without a single test drive? haha. Completely a heart decision.

First impressions coming from currently owning the Linea Diesel for about a decade and a Ford Ikon before that since 2005

The gasoline engine is quite silent, even my parents were surprised how quiet it was.

I found the gear changes quite seamless, I was actually trying to notice the shifts after reading quite a few reports but I found no reason to complain so far.

The gear shifts though seem a little notchy (moving from P to D/R) and the brakes slightly spongy. The slight sound from the brakes is evident as well, but I will need to drive more before I can really say anything much on that.

At slow speeds the body roll/movement is probably in line with my Linea. It really does drive like a car (in the city atleast). Though the highway stability wouldn't be even close, but then I understand that.

It hates rumble strips, you can feel the rear not being happy at all. The TPMS showed all tyres at 31/32 PSI.

During the night drive in the city, the lights felt adequate.

My 68 year old mother was able to climb to the back seat and at city speeds was quite comfortable, so was my younger sister. I was very pleasantly surprised but lets wait and see how it will be for longer drives.
My father, who is 74 and about 5'7" was also able to climb up into the passenger seat for a drive as well, though I would surely add the grab handles as an accessory.

My son had a good laugh at the glove compartment and managed to fit 8 glass marbles comfortably in them. I dont think it could have taken any more

Havent really played around much with the audio yet.

The things I would need to add are front and rear arm rests, mats, grab handles and maybe an underbody protection. Rest is going to be purely utility based, if any, once I spend more time with it.

Adding one customary pic :-) more when I drive it around a little more.
Attached Images

Last edited by sammyboy : 27th October 2021 at 01:01.
sammyboy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 03:00   #2434

Quote:
Is this because of the chip shortage that the car may have parked in the factory for these many months? What are the other possibilities you can think of?
I'll have to make sure I perform through customer-PDI on this vehicle, I'll look for our standard document if attached to this thread.
I received my VIN number today as well, even mine is a D AT HT Dec 21 booking. My case seems to be similar too, I’ve got the June Manufactured one allotted to me. My number ends with M2F10835
PriyanshSpeaks is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 03:27   #2435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
A serial no. in the range of 12k and manufacturing month of June do not seem to add up! Reason - Mahindra started dispatching Thar's in October last year at and average rate of 2.5-3k per month. With this rate, the serial no. for a June 2021 manufactured Thar should be in the 20k range, at a minimum.
Quote:
I was reading some old posts from this thread and see someone has mentioned the Mar 2021 mfg serial no was in 13xxx range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourer View Post
...Took delivery of my July manufactured Thar (VIN too indicating July) on 29th July.
Sr # is 2XXXX
Quote:
I just got a call from sales rep. He is stating that the chassis of the vehicle was manufactured in the month of Jun 2021. However, due to the chip / parts shortage the vehicle manufacturing took a long time. That is the reason the manufactured date shows Jun 2021.
Reading these together, something doesn't add up.

Most of the components will have the manufacturing month on them - tyres will have the week/ year stamp, battery will have the date, fuel tank, etc. See if you can find it - will be hand written or stickered at various places hidden from sight. My Oct '20 manufactured Thar has chassis from Aug '20 (not visible, it's on the front horizontal member behind the bumper), 19/08/20 handwritten on the fuel tank, and so on. Going by that, a Jun-21 manufactured Thar should have components from April or so, but I suspect it will have parts from much earlier to justify the 12xxx VIN - while I'm not privy to when the VIN gets assigned, what if the vehicle had to undergo "corrections" in the manufacturing cycle?!

What's the next expected date if you reject this vehicle? You should do that, as 12xxx is probably a Feb'21 stamped series, with a VIN from June - odd that it had to wait 3 months after production to get a VIN assigned.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 08:44   #2436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The entire process was way faster than what I imagined it to me. Booked the vehicle online on September 10th and got a call that it had arrived on October 15th.
The CPD I was given was 14th of December.

Adding one customary pic :-) more when I drive it around a little more.
Congratulations! Enjoy the ride. Please share the FE you are getting.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 27th October 2021 at 10:18. Reason: Trimmed long post quote.
alokk0912 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 09:31   #2437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Congratulations! Enjoy the ride. Please share the FE you are getting.
Thanks Alok, sure will check and report as I drive it more. The experience of getting the fuel tank filled was in itself eye watering
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:23   #2438
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Congrats on the Thar, Samarth. Hope you have been well.
Wishing you a great ownership experience with the Thar, and more pics are definitely called for. Do you still have the Ikon around?
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 10:39   #2439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Congrats on the Thar, Samarth. Hope you have been well.
Wishing you a great ownership experience with the Thar, and more pics are definitely called for. Do you still have the Ikon around?
Heyy Benny, long time bro. Thank you for the wishes, will surely post more pics soon Hope you are well and enjoying Australia.

The ikon was happily doing its duties in Doon but 2020 its registration expired and it was quite painful to get it to NCR (was registered there) and renew, specially with the 10/15 year rules.
So with a heavy heart I got in touch with Cars24 and scrapped it. Everyone at home had tears in their eyes, it ran flawlessly its entire duration and I got to meet such wonderful people here too.
sammyboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 11:01   #2440
BHPian

Hello Thar owners, Any idea on how to adjust the brightness of backlit on the speedo console and steering mounted control buttons?. I find it a tad less brighter while driving at night especially steering controls. The brightness adjust option on ICE works only for the ICE screen, not for other consol and buttons.
Old 27th October 2021, 11:02   #2441
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Took delivery of my Red Petrol Hard Top automatic in Dehradun yesterday .....
Good to see a twin of my Thar come over in doon. Ping me whenever you guys plan a meet up.
And if you're around Jogiwala please come over to the Hero Showroom at Jogiwala chowk. Would love to chat cars, bikes and a special delivery from Coimbatore for the thar, over a cup of tea.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 11:37   #2442
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Good to see a twin of my Thar come over in doon. Ping me whenever you guys plan a meet up.
And if you're around Jogiwala please come over to the Hero Showroom at Jogiwala chowk. Would love to chat cars, bikes and a special delivery from Coimbatore for the thar, over a cup of tea.
Thanks much Navpreet, would love to catch up and chat I also have my Duke390 here so drive/ride everything is game.
Once Justwheels reaches here, let Mr. U, us and whoever else is here meet up.
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 12:08   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriyanshSpeaks View Post
I received my VIN number today as well, even mine is a D AT HT Dec 21 booking. My case seems to be similar too, I’ve got the June Manufactured one allotted to me. My number ends with M2F10835
Wow! that looks like even older than mine if we go by the serial number, in 10K series. There seems to be something off here for sure. When someone got the delivery yesterday received the latest mfg date and serial number in the range of 34K series, why are they billing and delivering these vehicles with old mfg date and serial numbers!
I'm writing to some officials on this, we can make joint effort to get more clarity since our case looks similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Reading these together, something doesn't add up.

Most of the components will have the manufacturing month on them - tyres will have the week/ year stamp, battery will have the date, fuel tank, etc. See if you can find it - will be hand written or stickered at various places hidden from sight. My Oct '20 manufactured Thar has chassis from Aug '20 (not visible, it's on the front horizontal member behind the bumper), 19/08/20 handwritten on the fuel tank, and so on. Going by that, a Jun-21 manufactured Thar should have components from April or so, but I suspect it will have parts from much earlier to justify the 12xxx VIN - while I'm not privy to when the VIN gets assigned, what if the vehicle had to undergo "corrections" in the manufacturing cycle?!

What's the next expected date if you reject this vehicle? You should do that, as 12xxx is probably a Feb'21 stamped series, with a VIN from June - odd that it had to wait 3 months after production to get a VIN assigned.
Thanks for information. I'm going to ask these questions on mfg dates on other parts to the dealership folks and will also ask for the next availability.
Even if I consider the unavailability of the paint, I cant believe there was no mystic copper ordered/manufactured/delivered between the serial number 12K series and the most recent that I see on this page, indicating 34K series, almost 22K cars delivered in between while this one was waiting for a chip to be installed or due to color unavailability!!

I have obtained certain contacts while escalating during this 11 months of waiting period, including dealership CEO, ASM, Regional manager from M&M. I'm thinking of alerting them about this pattern we are observing. Let's see if we can get some help from them.

Last edited by Ketan : 27th October 2021 at 12:20.
Old 27th October 2021, 12:32   #2444
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Heyy Benny, long time bro. Thank you for the wishes, will surely post more pics soon Hope you are well and enjoying Australia.
Thanks Samarth. Been good so far. Here's something in case you missed it :
Link (Sand driving and getting stuck - Bribie Island adventures with 4x4 SUVs in Australia)

Quote:
The ikon was happily doing its duties in Doon but 2020 its registration expired and it was quite painful to get it to NCR (was registered there) and renew, specially with the 10/15 year rules.
So with a heavy heart I got in touch with Cars24 and scrapped it. Everyone at home had tears in their eyes, it ran flawlessly its entire duration and I got to meet such wonderful people here too.
That is indeed sad. We went through the same emotions when we decided to scrap our Ikon. How many kms had it done over the years?
benbsb29 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2021, 13:45   #2445
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriyanshSpeaks View Post
Quote:
Wow! that looks like even older than mine if we go by the serial number, in 10K series. There seems to be something off here for sure. When someone got the delivery yesterday received the latest mfg date and serial number in the range of 34K series, why are they billing and delivering these vehicles with old mfg date and serial numbers!
I'm writing to some officials on this, we can make joint effort to get more clarity since our case looks similar.
@PriyanshSpeaks, @Ketan - I hope you are not confusing the last digits of the VIN with the serial number of the Thar.

The serial number - which is the sequence number of the vehicle - has no relationship to the VIN's last 6 digit.

In my case, the VIN had a sequence of 44xxx as the last 6 digits. But my serial number is 001798. The 1798 will keep increasing with each Thar manufactured, but the VIN will not correlate with this, will depend on the rest of the VIN, that is, the month and year plus the unique ID (among other things).
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks