Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2021, 16:24   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I think that has been your saving grace.

Following a 2000 km road-trip, I'd been driving short stints in relatively free flowing city traffic and some start-stop trips for the last 1200 odd kms - and the DEF/DPF warning light did pop-up on the dash (a quick chime and a flash - its gone even before you know it). I visited the ASC and got around 4 litres of DEF topped-up. Ran an OBD scan and there were no further errors.

Then did a 500 km highway trip - so hopefully I am sorted for the time being.

The entire DEF thingy is a bit of a hit-n-miss. But constant city usage at low rpms will definitely lead to DEF/DPF warnings.
That highlighted part in your message - that is normal! It just means that the vehicle encountered an incident (in this case, maybe higher than threshold of particles in the filter) and acted on it.

This keeps coming even in my Thar, at times even during highway runs - and I started noticing this only during after-dusk drives coz the alert is barely visible in daylight.

Nothing to worry if this happens!

The one Thar that I know of belonging to a friend - running in Ooty, which kept getting DPF related errors with the vehicle going into limp mode - this was caused by wiring issues, and was fixed with a wiring harness replacement for the exhaust.

Those who have a Diesel Thar in the forum - has your jeep gone into limp mode because of DPF? If so, was the ASS able to hook up the scanning tool and see what is the reading on the density of Diesel exhaust particles?

Even during an idle test, my vehicle barely went over the minimum threshold before the DEF douses it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
This happened couple of times with me as well. It would disappear by the time I look at MID screen.
Every time I heard this chime, I got confused and used to check whether I am above 80 or parking brake is engaged or seat belt is buckled.

Recently I caught this in MID screen. I am doubting that it could be an early sign of DPF clogging which would need attention.
Quote:
And, you might also want to get the DEF levels checked (my case at 4300 km on the odo)
That alert coming and disappearing is normal!

And the DEF tank is 20 liters, and my Thar drank about 8 liters in the second service at 9350 KM. So I doubt if it is related to DEF either - it is just the electronics doing their work - if the alert stays on and the engine goes to limp mode - then there is a problem!
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Iam a bit puzzled here. So as per the Thar diesel owners here in this forum, it will be a risky affair to drive a diesel Thar in a city like Bangalore where bumper to bumper traffic is a daily routine, right? Just imagine, you are in MG road during a rush hour, your car goes in limp mode and that will be a catastrophe. So you all are implying that Thar diesel should not be driven in cities. Where will all the already delivered Thar diesel owners go in the city if this is the case. Iam totally confused. If this issue is for real, then M&M should take back all delivered diesel Thars and exchange them with Petrol makes.
I don't think it should be! As long as the engine is not switched off, even in bumper to bumper traffic, the exhaust system will do its work. About 300 KM of my 2000 KM city drive is in Bangalore. Another 750 KM within Hyderabad, 400 KM within Madras and 500+ in Coimbatore.

I am yet to come across a Thar that has gotten DPF issues coz of actual DPF issues (the one I know of personally, and another from the forum - where we do not know the final update - is wiring related!).

Last edited by ph03n!x : 20th October 2021 at 16:31.
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 16:55   #2387
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Will we get 7-8 in petrol automatic for only city driving? I am also in 2 minds after reading all the DPF issues and thinking of changing to Petrol.
Yes I have checked with few members of my Endeavour group who have got new Thar in AT avatar for their better half recently. All of them claiming 7-9kmpl in city with the Petrol AT model. Even if DPF issues were not present I would have still gone for Petrol as this will be driven frequently by my wife too. She drives a Polo GT TSI and she prefer to drive petrol cars as they are more refined. She took a test drive of Petrol Thar and find it much better than diesel counterpart(leaving the fuel economy aside).

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
I am totally confused. If this issue is for real, then M&M should take back all delivered diesel Thars and exchange them with Petrol makes.
This is real and many are facing this issue with their BS6 diesel cars. This is not limited to Thar or Mahindra, hope you didn't missed the Toyota Fortuner DPF issue thread. Few owners from Endeavour group also faced this issue but that was on high altitudes(Shinkula/Sach Pass) not in city. Lately we have observed that this issue has cropped up in every other BS6 diesel car(read: Creta, Seltos, Fortuner, Endeavour, Innova, Thar etc.) and is more prominent in cars which are used mostly in city.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techn...ml#post5164178 (2021 Toyota Fortuner DPF Issues)

Quote:
Originally Posted by daf23 View Post
Congratulations on your booking! There should not be much waiting now.

I also got a petrol manual recently and I'm getting 7-8 kmpl in the city but I'm happy that I chose petrol over diesel as my usage would be very less. For highway runs, my 3.2 Endeavour is doing a good job
Thanks dear, yes waiting is not much now specially for Petrol variants. I was expecting at least 2-3 months waiting but luckily I got hold of a cancelled booking. Expecting my car delivery to be before end of this week with some official accessories from Mahindra.

And yes we have a similar use case where 3.2 Endeavour will be used for highway runs and Thar can be utilized for city use. Good to know you also belong to Finders(Ford India Endeavour Owners) family.

Last edited by roby_dk : 20th October 2021 at 17:00.
roby_dk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2021, 23:02   #2388
BHPian

The Thar saga continues for me and touchwood, the ownership has been niggle free till now.

Completed 9600kms and it has been 95% highway rides. Completed Bangalore to Dehradun two way and now on the route of Bangalore to Kolkata to Dehradun to Jaipur to Sagar to Bangalore trip, spanning around 2 months with wfh and vacations enroute.

Currently in Kolkata and scheduled for 2nd service now. Any recommendations for which service center to prefer? Also, anything I should be checking for? Also for the dpf, do they check the clogging if no warning sign is there? Like a pre-emptive check?
justwheels is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 21st October 2021, 08:40   #2389
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post

Currently in Kolkata and scheduled for 2nd service now. Any recommendations for which service center to prefer? Also, anything I should be checking for? Also for the dpf, do they check the clogging if no warning sign is there? Like a pre-emptive check?
You can try the Royal Motors ASC at Jagatipotta (Off EM Bypass), landmark - cross Ruby Hospital, head towards Garia, cross Prince Anwar Shah connector and take left.

You can speak to Pranabesh Mondal, the ASC Manager at 9903068970 / 9836593331.

I have been attended to by an advisor named Jai Sharma. Very helpful chap.

Also, do call them up and book an appointment before you turn up. Weekday rush is crazy, especially this time as it's just after the Durga Pujas.

Last edited by Slipstream11 : 21st October 2021 at 08:49.
Slipstream11 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:05   #2390
BHPian

Quote:
You can try the Royal Motors ASC at Jagatipotta (Off EM Bypass), landmark - cross Ruby Hospital, head towards Garia, cross Prince Anwar Shah connector and take left.....

Also, do call them up and book an appointment before you turn up. Weekday rush is crazy, especially this time as it's just after the Durga Pujas.
Thanks a lot. Have called them and got an appointment for tomorrow. Tbhp rocks.

Look forward for a good service and niggle free drive on my next leg to dehradun.
Old 22nd October 2021, 12:14   #2391
BHPian

Quote:

Look forward for a good service and niggle free drive on my next leg to dehradun.
Do keep us posted on the details of your second service.
Slipstream11 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 16:32   #2392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Do get in touch in case you need any help in Dehradun.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 16:46   #2393
Senior - BHPian

Dehradun seems to be getting quite a few Thars, I shall join in next week with a Red HT Petrol Automatic . Getting the loan formalities sorted. I will post more details once I get my hands on it.

The overall waiting period seems to have come down quite drastically, atleast for the Petrol. I booked mine on the 10th of September and was given a CPD of 14 December. Imagine my surprise when I got a call on the 15th of October that it was already here.

Last edited by sammyboy : 22nd October 2021 at 16:59.
sammyboy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 17:58   #2394
BHPian

Quote:
Do keep us posted on the details of your second service.
Surely, thanks for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Do get in touch in case you need any help in Dehradun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
Dehradun seems to be getting quite a few Thars,.
Dehradun is my hometown, very fond memories living and being brought up in my favourite place. We should try to meet if possible, I am there from 1st Nov to 18th Nov (although WFH).

And I agree, when I took my new Thar to Dehradun in July , the number of Thars I spotted is way more than what I see in Kolkata or Bangalore.
justwheels is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 18:23   #2395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dehradun is my hometown, very fond memories living and being brought up in my favourite place. We should try to meet if possible, I am there from 1st Nov to 18th Nov (although WFH).
Same as above haha. Yes we should definitely catch up, I will probably be here too around that time. Will pm you my number.

Last edited by sammyboy : 22nd October 2021 at 18:25.
sammyboy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 20:59   #2396
BHPian

Quote:
Dehradun seems to be getting quite a few Thars, I shall join in next week with a Red HT Petrol Automatic . Getting the loan formalities sorted. I will post more details once I get my hands on it.

The overall waiting period seems to have come down quite drastically, atleast for the Petrol. I booked mine on the 10th of September and was given a CPD of 14 December. Imagine my surprise when I got a call on the 15th of October that it was already here.

That’s awesome, even I am hopping to get my Thar before Diwali, Black Diesel AT CT, I had booked in March. I have seen a lot of Thars in Doon.

Is your vehicle coming fitted with the media system from the factory or the dealer is fitting it at the workshop. I was informed that my vehicle might come fitted with it directly from the factory.

Also it would be nice to meet up with people from Dehradun.
Mr.U is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2021, 21:44   #2397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
That’s awesome, even I am hopping to get my Thar before Diwali, Black Diesel AT CT, I had booked in March. I have seen a lot of Thars in Doon.

Is your vehicle coming fitted with the media system from the factory or the dealer is fitting it at the workshop. I was informed that my vehicle might come fitted with it directly from the factory.

Also it would be nice to meet up with people from Dehradun.
Great to see another Doonite here, we should have a meetup
Congratulations on the CT, i love it but because I plan to do highway drives too I preferred the HT.
The media system was already fitted when I saw it yesterday to do a pdi. It seemed factory fitted considering the fitting was perfect
Old 23rd October 2021, 19:08   #2398
BHPian

Quote:
Great to see another Doonite here, we should have a meetup
It will be good to meet up with like minded people for sure.

Quote:
Congratulations on the CT, i love it but because I plan to do highway drives too I preferred the HT.

Thanks a lot
Mr.U is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2021, 23:35   #2399
Senior - BHPian

Amigo got Arka underbody shield installed today. It is a well made product and needs some professional installation, for sure. It has 4 parts including the DEF tank shield. I purchased it at Xenex in Hyderabad and got it installed there. Now, Amigo and me can go anywhere!!

Some pictures for your viewing pleasure.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211023_165437.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211023_175914.jpg  

getsurya is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th October 2021, 09:43   #2400
BHPian

Changed my booking to Petrol AT yesterday. Dealer said 12 weeks officially but they did mention that it may get delivered in 6 weeks. Definitely, wait times have come down especially for Petrol variants.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks