Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2021, 16:56   #2296
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
It is one of the best city cars, given its short length, high seating position, ease of driving with the automatic transmission, and more than decent fuel efficiency in the diesel avatar. It’s a very good mile muncher on the highways, as I have found out from the 5+ trips I have taken of over 500 km each time. Contrary to some of the early reviews of the car, it is not at all unstable at higher speeds and feels solid and plated on curved roads due to its immense width and wide track, compared to the length. I have found it to be quite composed safe even at 115 km/h and have adopted that as my standard Thar cruising speed on the brilliant TN highways after a few initial months of staying at 100-105 kph. Yes there is wind noise, but if you have an upgraded audio system and a hard top you can get over this. For being a breadbox shape, still efficiency is not bad and has improved after 8000 km of running - it is possible to consistently get 13 km per litre even with 110 km/h cruising speed on the diesel AT.
My brother got the Thar Petrol AT with hardtop and I can relate to whatever you wrote above. The car is very stable at 110-120, which is the max our highway's are anyway made for. The power delivery of the Petrol AT is thrilling as far as my experience goes. I've completed one highway journey between Jaipur and Delhi recently and I was really impressed with the way Thar delivered the whole experience.

I would have never thought about doing this trip with my wife and daughter if it was the earlier version. The new Thar is a very sorted vehicle for city and is really good at comfort for at least the front passengers. The back seats are not meant for adults and I'll not be happy to sit at back for a long journey. I maintain that its a 2 passenger vehicle at best and meant to be driven by you solo . The hardtop does filter out all the noise and the petrol engine is noiseless.

The city efficiency remains at 7-8 km/l and the highway with mix of heavy foot 120 km/h and cruise control at 90 gave me a good 11.5 km/l. This was the MID telling me the average and i didn't do tank full calculations. The car is a head turner with any crowd.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th October 2021 at 18:26. Reason: Mention of high speed driving
Old 8th October 2021, 17:44   #2297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I cancelled yesterday. For the first time ever, I received 3 back to back calls from Mahindra asking me the reason for cancelling.

All this while their standard response was "Sir, talk to the dealer". This time around they listened. But I still cancelled the booking. They will refund after deducting the 10% cancellation fee which I opposed to but they said that is the policy.

To be honest I have lost interest in the Thar. I know its a feeling, its special, blah blah. But at the end of the day, its a vehicle and no one wants to wait for a year for a car. My dealer confirmed that they may not be able to deliver in the next 2-3 months which is absurd. May be they have given my car away to someone else, not sure. But I am done with Mahindra and all these "Made in India for India" taglines that they flaunt. All this is a sham.

I know the customers who got their cars delivered are having a good customer experience. But it honestly means nothing to me because I never got to own one. All I got was a blank expression from the SA, ASM and M&M. This way I dont think they will not be able to attract new customers (I was one).

Anyway, now I hope I will get my money back.
You have made the wise & correct decision, Thar dealers are scumbags of highest order and get their balls in a vice grip and delivery will promptly follow. Get some mafia to call them and threaten consequences and they will deliver on the pronto. They usually get shipments every two weeks and it is just the utter shamelessness of the dealer and lack of transparency and accountability enforced by the parent that allows the dealer to get away with such a sham. You may have made the wiser decision and since '22 will see launch of Thar 5 door you can be on first day booking of the same if you still wish for a Thar and defeat the dealer level hera pheri.
lurker is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 18:36   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
You may have made the wiser decision and since '22 will see launch of Thar 5 door you can be on first day booking of the same if you still wish for a Thar and defeat the dealer level hera pheri.
No buddy, like I said I am done with Mahindra. What Mahindra is doing is outrageous especially in this day and age. I dont know what other prospective customers are doing and what will happen to XUV 7oo customers but they are just ignorant towards all the unorganized/unprofessional malpractices of the dealers. Sorry for continuously ranting but I am very disappointed for not being able to own an otherwise capable vehicle.

Last edited by Sheel : 8th October 2021 at 22:01. Reason: As requested.
Pancham is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th October 2021, 22:42   #2299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hello Thar Owners,

I shall be taking the delivery probably by next week. The extra accessories I look forward to install are a seat mounted arm rest and a reverse cam. Dealer has quoted Rs. 4800 for the camera where as M2all shows a price of Rs 2600. Are they same? Which is the best quality reverse cam model available to install?

Thanks
I bought from M2all at Rs 2700 (they charge 100 extra for delivery) and paid Rs 1000 to the Mahindra dealer for installation. This way, there is a saving of Rs 1100-1300.

The camera quality is decent but not exceptional. Would suggest going ahead with the OEM accessory for the peace of mind on warranty.
sid_deb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 01:12   #2300

Hello everyone!
Finally my Thar was delivered on 7th October after waiting for nearly 11 months. But I must admit that the moment I got hold of my Thar, all the anguish over extreme waiting period suddenly vanished and an everlasting smile was back on my face. This vehicle simply makes you fall in love with everything again. Thar surely knows how to touch your heart and make this world seem to be a much more beautiful place to live in. Cheers!
Abhi_Randhawa is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 11:24   #2301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Randhawa View Post
Hello everyone!
Finally my Thar was delivered on 7th October after waiting for nearly 11 months.
Congratulations buddy! Wish you and all those who got their Thar recently, many happy miles with the new ride!
Please do share your configuration, experience with the ride, accessories you are planning to get etc.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 12:23   #2302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoMachine View Post
Hope to complete pending formalities and taking home the Thar soon. Super excited.
Have sorted out VIN and other details. It's September 2021 make. Going ahead with few accessories like rear view camera, front and back Piano black headlight + taillamp appliques along with couple of offroading essentials like fuel tank protector and radiator protection kit.

Hoping for a Dusshera delivery. Fingers crossed.
LeoMachine is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 22:47   #2303

Hello everyone,

I am a new member in the forum. Never knew such a forum existed regarding cars. Kudos to moderator and members for maintaining such standards. I had a few questions wrt thar(petrol-AT- hardtop) and I’d be grateful if someone could answer the same.

1. Does damping affect off road performance of the car? While damping is the water drainage plug on the floorboard closed permanently? Does water damage damping?
2. Does leather wrapping on steering wheel to give OEM finish spoil the steering wheel handling/ reduce the efficiency of the steering/ mess up the air bag deployment ? I’m sorry if certain people will take offence to leather wrapping thar as they prefer a rugged look, my main purpose is to make the interiors a bit more plush. I’m used to the plush interiors of most of my cars. And since thar is self driven, I want to add a premium feel to it.
3. Does Leather wrapping dashboard create issues with respect to deployment of air bag on side passenger seat ?
Old 11th October 2021, 09:01   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Just a small update.

Bumper and Underbody installed. Like this stubby look.
Bumper is very very solid and sturdy. There is a winch plate and frame behind the outer shell and it is connected with very strong bolts. Very Thick guage plate is used.
The underbody is aluminum, light and sturdy!
Not only is this illegal, it's also a huge safety hazard for pedestrians. I humbly request you to please remove the bull bar, as it can cause severe injury or death in case of a collision with a pedestrian. All car fronts are designed these days to minimise impact to pedestrian in case of a collision, and this totally defeats that. "Macho" stance and "butch" looks do not justify such illegal and potentially very harmful modification.
karanddd is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 11:19   #2305

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Randhawa View Post
Hello everyone!
Finally my Thar was delivered on 7th October after waiting for nearly 11 months. But I must admit that the moment I got hold of my Thar, all the anguish over extreme waiting period suddenly vanished and an everlasting smile was back on my face. This vehicle simply makes you fall in love with everything again. Thar surely knows how to touch your heart and make this world seem to be a much more beautiful place to live in. Cheers!
Hearty congratulations
What variant is your thar? I’m guessing D AT HT? Because of that long waiting period.
Old 11th October 2021, 12:42   #2306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Not only is this illegal, it's also a huge safety hazard for pedestrians. I humbly request you to please remove the bull bar, as it can cause severe injury or death in case of a collision with a pedestrian. All car fronts are designed these days to minimise impact to pedestrian in case of a collision, and this totally defeats that. "Macho" stance and "butch" looks do not justify such illegal and potentially very harmful modification.
Thank you for the update. I already know that. This vehicle after these modifications is no longer my daily drive. This is now a very specific use vehicle. The modifications done now or in the future are done as per my requirements. They will not be removed. Thanks. None the less thanks for your concern.

"Macho" and "Butch" looks were not the reason they were installed. Please direct those towards them who need those type of reasoning for their decisions. Do NOT and I repeat DO NOT typecast anyone while sitting behind a computer screen and not even knowing an iota about them. Thanks.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 15:03   #2307
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Thank you for the update. I already know that. This vehicle after these modifications is no longer my daily drive. This is now a very specific use vehicle. The modifications done now or in the future are done as per my requirements. They will not be removed. Thanks. None the less thanks for your concern.
It doesn't matter if it's your daily drive or not. If you ever take it on a road that's used by other people or other cars, you are endangering your fellow citizens. Obviously this does not apply if you only ever drive it on a private track and the car never sees public roads. But if you're going off-road in terrain that has other vulnerable users, including animals, it's a bad idea to have bull bars. I don't mean to offend anyone, it's a very elementary point, one that even our government understands, which is why there is a ban.
Old 11th October 2021, 15:45   #2308
Senior - BHPian

Folks, I have received a call from dealer asking if I want to go ahead with the billing of vehicle. I was informed that I may get the vehicle towards the end of the month.
I'd like to quickly check if it's a good idea to go ahead with it now, towards the end of the year? Is there any benefits of pushing it to next year or something!! I'm inclined to go for it, since waiting for real long time.
Thanks.

Last edited by Ketan : 11th October 2021 at 15:55.
Old 11th October 2021, 16:23   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Folks, I have received a call from dealer asking if I want to go ahead with the billing of vehicle. I was informed that I may get the vehicle towards the end of the month.
I'd like to quickly check if it's a good idea to go ahead with it now, towards the end of the year? Is there any benefits of pushing it to next year or something!! I'm inclined to go for it, since waiting for real long time.
Thanks.
What would prevent you from going ahead with the purchase? You've been waiting for your Thar for almost a year and now when you are being offered one, you want to postpone it?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 16:35   #2310
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
Folks, I have received a call from dealer asking if I want to go ahead with the billing of vehicle.

I'd like to quickly check if it's a good idea to go ahead with it now, towards the end of the year? Is there any benefits of pushing it to next year or something!! .
Yes point to check - when was the last price hike ? If it has been some time, then +1 to go for it now. This in addition to the waiting you have already endured.

Btw. has the Thar been affected by chip shortages ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks