Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th March 2022, 13:00   #3046

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipstream11 View Post
I did a Pune - Kolktata (2k kms) trip after around 20 days of getting the vehicle. I drove mostly around the city and surrounding hills during this period.
Wow! I have similar things planned. Get first service done and off to road trip.

Which model do you have ?
Have you shared your travelogue somehwere, if not what was your experience?

Being 6'2 lack of thigh support has been somewhat on my mind.
Old 24th March 2022, 16:01   #3047
BHPian

Posting this a month late but got my Thar diesel delivered in February. It was a smooth process and luckily I got it in just a week time. Drove for only 600km in Delhi/ NCR traffic so far and I loving the experience. Planning a trip soon after the first service. Thank you all the members who helped me out with my queries. It was a tough call between petrol and diesel but happy with my choice in the end.

Cheers,
Vivek-
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-8b14db3ff880479abec1fab2ee6d0539.jpeg  

vivek_god9 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 16:47   #3048
BHPian

Any Thar Diesel Automatic owner facing a similar issue as mine?
My brake pedal goes rock hard after being parked overnight, and yes, I don't press the brake after the engine is switched off.
Once, I start the car, the brake pedal is back to normal. Also, there has not been any issue with the braking performance.

As per Mahindra service center, they say, as per instructions from their technical team, they will replace my vacuum pump, required part has arrived today. Replacement is scheduled for tomorrow.

I plan to do as per the service center. Any other inputs from fellow Thar Automatic owners?

Last edited by dr_TJ : 24th March 2022 at 16:51.
Old 24th March 2022, 19:09   #3049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacko View Post
Hello Friends,
Its been a long time since I
The choice of wheels I went for is Fuel Off-Road, in 17inches, negative offset. 8J, would have been preferred, but I had to settle with 9J, as 8j's were not available, tyre size ...
Great choice of tyres and alloys. The 265 profile is much better suited to vehicles like the Thar and Endeavour than 285's that are just overkill.

I have similar Alloys on my Gurkha Asterix. Mine are Plati that i had professionally painted bronze.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-inbound7214227410033397060.jpg

You may also be happy to note that the 9J rims are better suited to your 265 profile tyres. 8J would not have been wide enough.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-inbound6469861064066360557.jpg
Manuuj is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 19:39   #3050
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
My brake pedal goes rock hard after being parked overnight, and yes, I don't press the brake after the engine is switched off.
Once, I start the car, the brake pedal is back to normal. Also, there has not been any issue with the braking performance.
Have you looked for this same issue in other same spec models? AFAIK, it is supposed to go hard if you press it 2-3 times after you switch off the engine.

Do update us tomorrow after replacing the pump.
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th March 2022, 19:53   #3051
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Have you looked for this same issue in other same spec models? AFAIK, it is supposed to go hard if you press it 2-3 times after you switch off the engine.

Do update us tomorrow after replacing the pump.
I use to own a Ecosport AT previously, it didn't have this problem. Infact even after staying idle for a week or so, there was no vacuum loss and pedal going hard on the Ecosport AT.

Yes, it is suppose to go hard after 2-3 presses, but in my case, I park the car in my garage and switch off the car, I don't press the brake pedal after it is parked.
But next morning, the brake pedal is rock hard to press.

Will update about the issue after the replacement.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 24th March 2022 at 20:07.
Old 25th March 2022, 09:47   #3052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbie_thar View Post
Wow! I have similar things planned. Get first service done and off to road trip.

Which model do you have ?
Have you shared your travelogue somehwere, if not what was your experience?

Being 6'2 lack of thigh support has been somewhat on my mind.
Its the Diesel Manual HT - RB.
I am too lazy to pen down a travelogue but in short, the trip was fantastic. It takes time to get used to the ride and the associated misdemeanors, but its fun.
Slipstream11 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2022, 16:58   #3053
BHPian

Quote:
Any Thar Diesel Automatic owner facing a similar issue as mine?

As per Mahindra service center, they say, as per instructions from their technical team, they will replace my vacuum pump, required part has arrived today. Replacement is scheduled for tomorrow.
Got the vacuum pump replaced on 25/03/22.
Brake pedal hardening issue is still the same though.

Previously, The brake pedal goes hard to press even after 4-5 hours of parking. Now It goes hard after overnight parking. No, I don't press the brake pedal with the engine switched off before parking my car.

Upon informing the service center about the issue again, A technician came to my residence to check the car again. As per him, they have checked the vacuum hoses and its connections, all is normal. Measured vacuum value is also normal after vacuum pump replacement. Car was cleared for delivery only after all the data was approved from the technical team at Mahindra. Braking performance and brake pedal feels is normal, normal as in since Day 1. Stopping distance also seems normal like before.

Any inputs from other Thar Diesel Automatic owners here? Inputs will be of great help.
Brake booster issue? Brake booster diaphragm issue?

And I hear a hissing sound from underneath the car and left side of the engine bay. Is it the Fuel pump and typical big diesel engine sound?
Sorry for this dump question cause this is my first Diesel car ownership

Last edited by dr_TJ : 27th March 2022 at 17:05.
Old 28th March 2022, 09:20   #3054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
And I hear a hissing sound from underneath the car and left side of the engine bay. Is it the Fuel pump and typical big diesel engine sound?
Sorry for this dump question cause this is my first Diesel car ownership
might be the DPF, do you hear it while parked.
Old 28th March 2022, 10:34   #3055
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurker View Post
might be the DPF, do you hear it while parked.
Yes, With the engine running, I could hear it when parked.
Old 28th March 2022, 17:50   #3056
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, With the engine running, I could hear it when parked.
that is normal because the fan works to reduce dpf temperatures during regen cycle which can go really high and dpf cooling fan continues to work even when engine is switched off.

If the fan doesnt work, then there is probability that the high persistent temperatures can cause failures down the line.

I think this dpf feature is implemented in different vehicles differently. In thar this is the style.
lurker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2022, 18:06   #3057
BHPian

Hi everyone I just want to Share the news that I got My Thar a few days ago and it is a LX MT CT D Aqua Marine.
This car was a dream car for me and after enormous discussions with the family and friends and after many "Nooooooooooooo's" finally i convinced everyone for a "YES".

I just want to know where can i get an automatic side step in and around Mumbai so that it can be helpful for the elders to easily get in the car as it is too high for them to get in and come out.

I have been following up with the group continually and really thankful to all the members to even boost me up so that I was able to convince my family for this enormous vehicle.

it was a tough fight between Kia, Harrier and Thar ( Even there were Electric and CNG vehicles but those were out of Question for me)

Thanks a ton to all the members in keeping the Spirit high for making a dream come True.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-buqg3487.jpg  

vinay.makhija is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 11:50   #3058
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay.makhija View Post

I just want to know where can i get an automatic side step in and around Mumbai so that it can be helpful for the elders to easily get in the car as it is too high for them to get in and come out.
Congratulations on getting your beast

As for the electric footstep, I would strongly suggest you to stay away from it.

A. Once something goes wrong with it (which will), dealers refuse to deal with it. Have seen many examples.

B. Battery drainer.

C. Very expensive. Value for money = zero.

Instead try and see if you can get some aftermarket fixed side steps which might be little lower than OEM ones.
nitinralli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th March 2022, 14:19   #3059
BHPian

Can somebody please tell me if this is normal? Isn't water supposed to slide like in other cars?

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220329_101744.jpg
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 00:01   #3060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Can somebody please tell me if this is normal? Isn't water supposed to slide like in other cars?

Attachment 2289700
Other cars don’t have a FRP hardtop and neither have they evolved from a Jeep. One should not expect it to function like a regular car, otherwise you will lose the basic fun of owning a thar. As far as the issue is concerned, FRP has water holding property and you can remain carefree that the water won’t seep in.
abhikb is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks