Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2022, 23:21   #3196
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

@DarkerThanBlack, adding the pictures and creating another post for the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220529_122035.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220529_122051.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img_20220529_122058.jpg  

swunkjyn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 12:13   #3197

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkerThanBlack View Post
Nice Review.

Please clear my doubt - Do sidewalls create problems while using Clutch on MT?
When I tried MT, I felt sidewalls constantly rubbing on the side of my left leg.

After almost 8 months of daily usage with some very long trips lasting over 1500 kms, I can confidently say that using the clutch is perfectly fine. I never felt the sidewall annoying my feet. The sidewalls sit flush with the left leg, but I never felt it interfered with my clutch usage. I personally never feel that the side wall touching the left leg caused any discomfort, despite my daily usage being around 50 km minimum. Hope that helps!
WemaKadphises is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 11:22   #3198
Senior - BHPian

PSA

There is an engine wiring harness replacement service action for the Thar. This is categorised as RED (action immediately/ ASAP). Noticed this when I came in for my 30k service, the action has been issued just now, and the spares have not reached the dealership yet.

My Thar is from the first batch, and had teething issues with water-in-fuel indication coming up, which was zeroed in as wiring harness-related (fuel filter connection) - the recommendation back then was to replace the engine wiring harness, but since the issue didn't recur, chose not to. This is now a mandatory replacement.

It's not clear what batches of the Thar are affected - considering the seriousness, it's better to check with your service advisor.

EDIT: MASS will call affected vehicle's owners proactively, and have been pretty good at this in my experience (my ownership thread has the consolidated list of Service Actions completed in my Thar, all smooth, seamless - and proactive).

Last edited by ph03n!x : 4th June 2022 at 11:45.
ph03n!x is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 12:19   #3199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post

MASS will call affected vehicle's owners proactively, and have been pretty good at this in my experience
Is there any fix for flickering Odometer? I noticed many times lights in odometer goes out for about half a second then it's normal again. Initially I thought my mind is tricking me about it but happened quite a few times.
batish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 12:57   #3200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Is there any fix for flickering Odometer? I noticed many times lights in odometer goes out for about half a second then it's normal again. Initially I thought my mind is tricking me about it but happened quite a few times.
How often does this happen? And have you noticed if the speedo/ tacho go off (needle drops to zero), or if it's just the light?

Reason I'm asking - the "light going off" is usually a symptom when a warning is flashing and going off in a fraction of a second. For example, in Diesel Thar the "exhaust is clogged" warning comes up when the exhaust system is doing is work - and this is a fraction-of-a-second notification, and the is no action needed on it. When this (or similar no-action notification) comes up, the LCD lights will dim out and turn back on to normal, leading to a perception the odo is flickering.

The other problem - where the speedo and tacho needle themselves will drop to zero, lights go out, and then things get back to normal - is a wiring issue. This has occurred twice in my 30,000 KM/ 18 months of owning the Thar, and the wiring harness replacement might fix that.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 16:05   #3201
BHPian

Quote:
How often does this happen? And have you noticed if the speedo/ tacho go off (needle drops to zero), or if it's just the light?
In last 500-700kms I've observed it more than 3-4 times. I think it's just the light although I'm not sure because it's in a fraction of a second. Just when you focus on meter again, it's normal. It's really hard to figure out what's happening. Eyes can just gauge the darkness in meter console for a split second.

Quote:
Reason I'm asking - the "light going off" is usually a symptom when a warning is flashing and going off in a fraction of a second. For example, in Diesel Thar the "exhaust is clogged" warning comes up when the exhaust system is doing is work - and this is a fraction-of-a-second notification, and the is no action needed on it. When this (or similar no-action notification) comes up, the LCD lights will dim out and turn back on to normal, leading to a perception the odo is flickering.
It could be. Really hard to figure out. In my case, exhaust clogged would be a stretch because my car has just 2800kms on the ODO and it is just 3 months old and majority of the run was on highways.

Quote:
The other problem - where the speedo and tacho needle themselves will drop to zero, lights go out, and then things get back to normal - is a wiring issue.
Oh! This too happens for a fraction of a second, right?

Quote:
The wiring harness replacement might fix that.
It's kinda sad they could not fix this even in MY 2022 batches. So this wiring harness is from BCM to Meter console? Entire harness is swapped?

On a separate note, Android Auto disconnection is really annoying. Bluetooth too fails to connect in one go sometimes. Need to restart the vehicle only then they work fine. This AA disconnection just bothers me. Sometimes it just disconnects twice in 5 minutes. Doesn't even let one song complete.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 17:56   #3202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Eyes can just gauge the darkness in meter console for a split second.
In my case, exhaust clogged would be a stretch because my car has just 2800kms on the ODO and it is just 3 months old and majority of the run was on highways.
I'd hazard a guess this is the exhaust system doing it's duty. A liter of DEF lasts 400 KM, so your symptom is probably that!

Quote:
Oh! This too happens for a fraction of a second, right?
This lasts longer - you'll notice the needle going to zero n restarting!
Quote:
So this wiring harness is from BCM to Meter console? Entire harness is swapped?
I'll confirm this when the part is in stock, but this is the wiring kit connecting everything with the engine bay - is what I understand. And the battery is here, so it's kinda the mother of all wiring.
Quote:
...On a separate note, Android Auto disconnection is really annoying. Bluetooth too fails to connect in one go sometimes. Need to restart the vehicle only then they work fine. This AA disconnection just bothers me. Sometimes it just disconnects twice in 5 minutes. Doesn't even let one song complete.
Workaround - don't fire the engine, turn to ACC mode and see if your phone's connected or if the Settings > Connectivity menu shows your paired devices. If not, turn off, remove the key and try again - this is sure-shot working.

I'm told that there is a new SW version that's being tested to fix this, let's see!
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 10:59   #3203
BHPian

Quote:
The other problem - where the speedo and tacho needle themselves will drop to zero, lights go out, and then things get back to normal - is a wiring issue.
Just wanted to add this to my original list as well. It happens almost every ride, no matter how quick it is. Quite annoying and worrying if we take it out for a long ride.
Old 5th June 2022, 13:15   #3204
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhargav_dave View Post
Just wanted to add this to my original list as well. It happens almost every ride, no matter how quick it is. Quite annoying and worrying if we take it out for a long ride.
I have experienced this in one of my previous rides and it's due to a wiring cut by rats.please get it checked
msk_kapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2022, 18:31   #3205
BHPian

No service action yet.
October 2021 built diesel HT.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220605183012_chrome.jpg  

Old 5th June 2022, 21:38   #3206
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
No service action yet.
October 2021 built diesel HT.
Don't go by that. My Thar shows 'no service action' too on the weblink, but the MASS system shows the wiring harness action!
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 10:42   #3207
Senior - BHPian

I've got the Avo suspensions on my Thar recently. I had a plan to do so after about a year but this is happening early as I'm planning to drive Zanskar valley and some places around Hanle during this trip.

I've not got much opportunity to drive around post getting this suspension change, except a quick highway drive from Bangalore-Dharmapuri-Hogenakkal-Bangalore with the full load, the difference is obvious from this drive, passengers did mention about the reduction on car rolling and pitching in certain conditions, without asking.
A few trips inside the city gave me a lot to observe, the vehicle dynamics have changed when I go over a speed-breaker and/or bad roads, at low, medium or high speeds. The dampers seem to be making a lot of difference for sure, I don't see that bouncing around effect anymore, rolling effect is contained amazingly, same with the pitching when I hit the brakes hard.
This is just my first impression, I'm yet to drive enough for more observations. I shall try to provide detailed experience post this Himalaya drive we have coming up.

A question for existing Avo folks on the forum, I'm on 12/13 clicks on my Thar currently, that looks to be more stiffer side than other folks here. Do you think it'd be right setting when I'm planning to drive to Zanskar/Leh next week? I'm feeling it to be bit stiffer side on bad roads, I observed a slight body rattle when it rides on bad roads.
While I'm going to drive with full load and full pax for 6-7 days of highways and another 8-10 days in Himalayas, do you think 12/13 is a right adjustment or should I try to get bit softer like 13/14 or 14/15?
Thanks.
Ketan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 12:28   #3208
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketan View Post
A question for existing Avo folks on the forum, I'm on 12/13 clicks on my Thar currently, that looks to be more stiffer side than other folks here. Do you think it'd be right setting when I'm planning to drive to Zanskar/Leh next week? I'm feeling it to be bit stiffer side on bad roads, I observed a slight body rattle when it rides on bad roads.
While I'm going to drive with full load and full pax for 6-7 days of highways and another 8-10 days in Himalayas, do you think 12/13 is a right adjustment or should I try to get bit softer like 13/14 or 14/15?
Thanks.
Am assuming that is 12 Fr and 13 Rr. With full load, anything softer than 13 at the rear can cause the rear strut to bottom out at speed breakers unless taken dead slow - I am at 12/ 14 now, and it's primarily just me (or me and my wife). But if two adults sit in the back, it does bottom out - and the advise from Arka is to keep it at 13 at the back for such use-cases.
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 13:06   #3209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't go by that. My Thar shows 'no service action' too on the weblink, but the MASS system shows the wiring harness action!
Same for me, the web portal is not showing any service action for me. I recently got my 10K service done, service advisor told me there may be only one item under service action. When I look at the invoice today, I don't see anything mentioned 'under warranty'. So, looks like nothing done, I'll have to check with them on get this clarified. Mine is Sep 2021 mfg that was delivered in Nov.

Quote:
Am assuming that is 12 Fr and 13 Rr. With full load, anything softer than 13 at the rear can cause the rear strut to bottom out at speed breakers unless taken dead slow - I am at 12/ 14 now, and it's primarily just me (or me and my wife). But if two adults sit in the back, it does bottom out - and the advise from Arka is to keep it at 13 at the back for such use-cases.
Thanks so much, yes I have got 12 front and 13 rear. I'll continue to use the same setup for the Zanskar trip and change it slightly when it'll be used with lesser load.
Ketan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2022, 08:40   #3210
BHPian

Last evening I refuelled (diesel) at a HP gas station. It's not the one is usually refuel from.

This morning as I headed out and around ten minutes into the drive white smoke started coming out of the exhaust. There was an instance when the intensity increased and then it stopped.

I pulled over and restarted the vehicle after about half an hour. Again a few minutes into the drive there was some white smoke. This was accompanied by a strong chemical smell (my windows were rolled down).

I haven't experienced any loss of power or any other anomaly in the car behaviour yet. There are no warning signs on the MID either.

I am currently at the ASC waiting for it to open as I want to get it checked.

Is it adulterated fuel or am I looking at something more serious? Any views what this might be?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks