Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2022, 12:26   #3301
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikbats View Post
*SNIP* Activate regeneration immediately when a loss of power is detected *SNIP*
There's a prevalent belief that one cannot just go to Tirupati whenever one feels like it - that one has to be invited by Balaji and only then would one actually be able to go to Tirupati.

Similarly, one cannot "activate regen" any time one feels like it. The car has to indicate that it needs a regen (by way of a message on the MID), and only then would one be able to perform one.

Cheers
tilt is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 13:18   #3302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
There's a prevalent belief that one cannot just go to Tirupati whenever one feels like it - that one has to be invited by Balaji and only then would one actually be able to go to Tirupati.

Similarly, one cannot "activate regen" any time one feels like it. The car has to indicate that it needs a regen (by way of a message on the MID), and only then would one be able to perform one.

Cheers
Yes one cannot activate REGEN at will unless the system indicates a clog. However I feel it can be changed via a software update by the company. Seeing the number of issues cropping up relates to DPF clog Mahindra should do the following
(a) Let the DPF wg stay ON unless cleared manually.
(B) Give some provision to activate REGEN manually in an easier way.
techfreak is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 20:31   #3303
BHPian

Forced manual regen will be a calamity.
1. It hurts the engine and the oil every time it is run.
2. There is a significant ramp-up (temps) before there is the actual burning of soot.
3. Auto regen will have very limited room to work with. This wouldn't be the case if we had a bigger soot mass filter
4. People will toy with it.

A DPF and DEF indicator of actual levels would both allay such fears AND incite more of a mess at the same time, with people getting paranoid and fear-mongering among the lesser informed.

------------------------------
I am headed to Harbir Motors (Chandigarh) tomorrow morning from NOIDA to get a few things done:

1. HVAC kit replacement due to fogging on the windshield.

2. Roof re-seating (pray this goes well - I just had a carrier installed 2 weeks back.)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5348888 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

3. DEF dosing valve replacement. I am not OK with whacking the darn thing till it works. It will 'stick' again eventually. What then? This cannot be a repeated phenomenon.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5355303 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

4. Cap addition on e-MLD? motor wiring
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5358444 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

5. DEF top up
(I'm at 10L I believe)

6. Android auto disconnection
(any number of posts here - I had my stereo replaced by Nippon last month - no dice.)
((tried 5 new cables- all quality ones, and three S2x ultra phones.))
(((s.ver is 1.1.04; .05 should have come out by now.)))

7. Fan blower motor is SUPER noisy
I hope this gets resolved with point #1 above. If it doesn't I have a video. This just happened today!
wooka is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 21:34   #3304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
How exactly can this be solved? Even I have the same fogging issue, it's more severe during monsoons.

Quote:
7. Fan blower motor is SUPER noisy
I hope this gets resolved with point #1 above. If it doesn't I have a video. This just happened today!
Isn't this just how it is. I mean won't the replacement one would be noisy too? Even I find it annoying sometimes especially once passenger side vents are closed.
Old 22nd July 2022, 22:49   #3305
BHPian

So the blower got super noisy today - have a video of it. It's a failure or something got stuck. Well, we'll know soon enough.

HVAC replacement ---- god knows - I'll advise tomorrow by tea.
wooka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2022, 23:34   #3306

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Yes one cannot activate REGEN at will unless the system indicates a clog. However I feel it can be changed via a software update by the company. Seeing the number of issues cropping up relates to DPF clog Mahindra should do the following
(a) Let the DPF wg stay ON unless cleared manually.
(B) Give some provision to activate REGEN manually in an easier way.
Thank you for this information. New to this issue.
Seems like the system is slow to pass on the information from the DPF to the ECU. reports were of the DPF clogged lights just about flickering and then "All systems down". Mahindra definitely needs better engine management.
Old 23rd July 2022, 01:12   #3307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post

6. Android auto disconnection
(any number of posts here - I had my stereo replaced by Nippon last month - no dice.)
((tried 5 new cables- all quality ones, and three S2x ultra phones.))
(((s.ver is 1.1.04; .05 should have come out by now.)))
For the HVAC replacement, while the fix is available, be mindful that it's a couple of days' job - they have to strip off the entire dashboard and center console to replace this - down to the cross beam. I was not comfortable with this, though been having this issue from day 1. My workaround is using one of those rubber non-slip mats in the windscreen vents

The current version of .14 - but it doesn't fix the AA/ CP disconnect issue. The Bluetooth not connecting when powering on the vehicle needing a switch off/ on cycle exists, though has been pretty rare after this update.
ph03n!x is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 07:32   #3308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I was not comfortable with this, though been having this issue from day 1. My workaround is using one of those rubber non-slip mats in the windscreen vents
I too have the same issue with my dashboard vents but the fix with full removal of the dashboard is something I don't want. I know how tough it is to remove the dashboard and fix it back, having done DIY AC vents replacement. But a positive aspect is new Thar's Dashboard is 3 piece, so won't be as tough as a one piece dashboard in most other cars.

So, I keep microfiber towels in my car anyway. I place two folded microfiber towels over the vents. Otherwise, the windshield fogging issue gets very irritating in the monsoon.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 23rd July 2022 at 07:36.
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2022, 21:34   #3309

Hello guys,

While I wait for my Thar to be delivered as and when M&M thinks I am worthy of one, I'd like to mention my dealership experience so far.
So, my wife being aware of my hidden desire to own and build a swb 4x4 tried to surprise me with the booking of Thar on my birthday (Little does she know that the attention she has been getting is going to be halved with something she has only gifted).

So, she booked the Thar on 31st may,2022 and gifted me the printout of the booking copy 2 days later. I had been reading on the M&M websites about the delivery timelines almost daily, so naturally I started calculating 40 weeks from the day of booking and parked the thought of owning one until early next year.

We booked the Thar D HT AT in Rocky Beige Colour, selecting Dada Motors in Ludhiana as our dealer.

On the 14th of June I get a call from the dealership and the guy on the other side tells me that my car is arrived. For a second I had lost it and started dreaming how a car I have been dreaming about since 2010 is now going to be mine, but the practical side of mind awakens and tells me to say no as I haven't planned my finances, not sold the almost 6 year Baleno and how I can't leave from my office in Bombay for 5-6 days to get it home. Eventually, has to say no. This car was definitely someone's else's car who would have either canceled the booking last minute or would want it later like myself.

I again go back and park the thought aside, until a week. Again a SA calls and tries to convince me to buy a black in the same configuration. I said NO!

Then the news of the updated thar surfaces on all the forums and I see black bumpers, CEAT Crossdrive tyres and the deletion of Lumbar Support, I felt them very necessary due to the pains in my lower back. I called up the dealer and asked them about any Rocky Beige which they can arrange in the coming week. The lad on the other side said he will let me know as all of their inventory has blacks and greys, which is a NO for me. My wife drives a black Creta and I know how much of a pain is there to keep it shining everyday.

8th July, I get a call that they have a Rocky Beige being dispatched from the factory and if I transfer them 1 Lakh, they can have it loaded in a truck to them and deliver it in 10 days. I was in a win win situation, until my Bank Manager friend asked me to get a quotation from them to apply the loan. There go all my day dreams out of the window as the SA wants to sell me accesorries worth 35k and Ceramic Coating worth 20k. I told him to remove these things as I don't want the flashy chrome package and the ceramic coating, in addition to the insurance amount which needed negotiations. It is at this moment that he tells that this is already fixed to the car, when I asked how can Factory fit accessories and do a ceramic coat. The moment of truth, it was another canceled car on which the dealer fitted accessories to leech the next customer.
For how much ever love I have for the car, I ain't putting half lakh on things which I would never want on my car. I refused for this car again and made up my mind to get the bumper and tyres changed to the pre facelift (courtesy all the people who are changing the tyres and the bumper to offroad spec) as and when my vehicle comes.

21st July, A call is made to me telling me that Rocky Beige and Mystic Copper are going to be discontinued from the factory and as and when the car comes, I will not be able to refuse it. I found it very odd as I have seen quite a lot of Rocky Beige Thars on road. Had they told me the same about Aquamarine, I might have bought it. I called by the tollfree number for Mahindra Automobile and they told me that there is no such news of the same. It is still available on the official website. I knew that it is again one of their tactics to make either shift to black or grey so that they can clear their inventory or they'll stick up some random accessories onto the car when it arrives and then tell me that I can't refuse. All the best to them if they try the latter!!

Yesterday I got a call from another SA telling me that M&M has stopped making the Rocky Beige and they can't get me any car in my choice of the colour. I smiled at her and told her that I'll wait for the official two cents from M&M on it, as and when they announce it or take off their website.

Just wanted to know has anyone else experienced this ? I have tweeted a series of tweets to Mahindra_Auto & the man Anand Mahindra. They replied to me assuring a call back today before noon, I haven't received any as of now.

How can Mahindra just not tame their dealers and their cheap tactics to leech the customer who is going to put 19 big ones on a Lifestyle Vehicle...

Last edited by Aditya : 24th July 2022 at 05:01. Reason: Typo, spacing
mittarn is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 00:30   #3310
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittarn View Post
Just wanted to know has anyone else experienced this?
Not experienced this but I'll suggest you to call up 2-3 dealers in other cities like Chandigarh, Delhi as a potential customer, and ask them about the colour discontinuation news. If they confirm, then the dealer you're dealing with just wants to get rid of his inventory.

Btw, you can try other dealers too in Punjab. Since registration is online, you won't face any issue in the purchase process. Call up dealers in 2-3 cities, ask them if they have your configuration in stock. Dealers like Raj Vehicles have their branches across Punjab so one call to them means you'll know about stock in 3-4 cities. Try other dealers too. If you're lucky, then get one. No point in waiting for 40 weeks. You'll see many price hikes in between and who knows they might delete 1-2 features by then.

If I had got mine sometime before I purchased, I would not have lost one additional USB Port and 70-75k.
batish is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 16:11   #3311
BHPian

Has anyone tried putting LED Bulbs in Thar's Headlights?

I have seen many members and some YouTubers not recommending LED bulbs for reflector housing. But, after watching many videos on LED Bulbs for Wrangler, I am thinking of giving it a try, as the problem is with their alignment and not with the bulbs themselves.

Link - LED bulbs for Wrangler's Reflector Housing

Link - Alignment of H4 LED bulb in 7inch Headlight

Any Thoughts?

Thanks
DarkerThanBlack is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 16:23   #3312
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittarn View Post
A call is made to me telling me that Rocky Beige and Mystic Copper are going to be discontinued from the factory and as and when the car comes, I will not be able to refuse it. I found it very odd as I have seen quite a lot of Rocky Beige Thars on road. Had they told me the same about Aquamarine, I might have bought it.
I confirmed this with my dealer (JS4Wheel Alwar) just now. He told me that they got a notification on 19th July that dealers shall not take any booking of Rocky Beige and Mystic Copper from 20 July onwards, as Mahindra will be discontinuing production of these two colors. Also, Aquamarine, Grey, Red and Black will continue. It seems your dealer is telling truth.
DarkerThanBlack is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 17:01   #3313
BANNED

Re: New Thar Convertible Top - Accessory Suggestions Please!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Honestly LED lights just look good but are absolutely useless in the driving rain, mist and fog. I have put Philips G Force extreme vision white halogen bulbs in the headlamps. This is a straight swap. 55W 12 V. Available on Amazon for Rs 1800 for a pair of bulbs. I did this last year sometime.
Hello Shanker Balan, the photos of the light throw at night are very impressive. I'm seriously thinking of changing my Thar's lighting too too. Is the illumination from the new fog lamps alone (7000/-) or from the Philips G Force headlamps? Or both together?

Last edited by Aditya : 25th July 2022 at 05:09. Reason: Quoted text trimmed
shashanka is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 18:48   #3314
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
Hello Shanker Balan, the photos of the light throw at night are very impressive. I'm seriously thinking of changing my Thar's lighting too too. Is the illumination from the new fog lamps alone (7000/-) or from the Philips G Force headlamps? Or both together?
Hi Shashanka
This picture was taken in Sep/ Oct 2021.
At that time I had just fitted the 55 Watt/12 Volt Philips Extreme Vision G Force bulbs into the headlamps by swapping out the OEM bulbs. The throw you see there is 85-90% from those bulbs. The standard OEM stock fog lamps are also on but their throw probably contributes no more than 10 to 15% to the illumination that you see in the picture.
These Rs 7000 - 3 coloured 3000kelvin fog lamps I only fitted last week.

See the two pictures below which I am attaching now. These were also taken with the same Philips Headlamps and OEM stock fog lamps in November of 2021 and again in December 2021. In November it was drizzly and misty in the Nilgiris. And in December it was a patch of white mist near Madikeri in Coorg.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-950929481d084df5b531f2a3a308dde1.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-01dd7a6bdc394ed9ad5a48e68ea24da6.jpeg  

shankar.balan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 24th July 2022, 23:14   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The standard OEM stock fog lamps are also on but their throw probably contributes no more than 10 to 15% to the illumination that you see in the picture.
I don't know if mine is a single odd case or it's with every Thar but I found fog lamp beam to be completely misaligned. Haven't got the chance to correct it since it involves removing bumper and doing the adjustments. I think that is the main cause for poor illumination. I could be wrong though.

Did you try adjusting the fog lamp beam before swapping them?
batish is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks