Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th November 2021, 19:22   #2551
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Can you check this, and post a comparo pic of Ecosense from your ICE please?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4949934

Does Ecosense actually give you ratings based on your driving - considering you also have an AT?
I will surely post a picture soon. Yes, Ecosense does give a rating for my driving on the HU.
Will click pictures and update here.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 14th November 2021 at 19:49.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 11:09   #2552
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Eagerly waiting for your review of this upgrade, sir. I am torn between getting a JL component upgrade (only) or springing a little extra and getting infinity components, mini basslink sub woofer and amp. The JL components are obviously a lot better but I wonder if they ll be good enough without the amp and underseat subwoofer.
Mate, please do not call me 'sir'
I was also in the same boat as you are in now. Finally decided to go for complete set up so that there are no regrets or questions in my mind later

I believe Thar's head unit is pretty good and JL C1 components work fine without an AMP. Please read more here:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...ndra-thar.html (Best plug & play speaker upgrade for the 2nd-gen Mahindra Thar?)

May be you can try step by step upgrade too.
I will post my experience after the upgrade.
Old 15th November 2021, 12:39   #2553
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I expecting a test drive soon too, fingers crossed. The biggest drawback with Thar I find is Ride quality and composure on uneven surfaces, while it absorbs the bad patches but is never settled. If this solves it some extent I am all game for getting Avo suspension installed.
This is an update on my quoted post from few days ago..

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Hoping for a similar result...
...I think Speedsport is also the dealer for this suspension.
So Speedsport arranged a car for us. I was travelling and not in town, so asked 2 of my friends, bhpian AceF355 and Nakul(fellow offroader and owns Thar Petrol MT) to take an extended test drive on our set route we use to compare suspension setups. They took the car for an extended test drive, here are some of the observations they have conveyed.

1.Ride quality is a lot more composed, the constant up and down, sideways movements have been controlled to a great extent. Feels much more car like than Scorpio like earlier.

2. Composure on gravel roads, broken surfaces, offroad at speed has increased by huge margin. Even when cornering on road surfaces and bumpy roads, car feels lot more confident.

3. There is a good range of damping adjustment available, set to stiffest, the car rides flat but you can feel the road surface and car crashes into potholes. On softer side ride is pretty supple which is great because we use our 4x4s in wide variety of application from daily city drive to touring to expeditions to offroad to competitions, so this adjustment option is great to have.

Based on the report, I have already ordered the kit for my car, while Nakul has already got the kit installed. Ill post more updates soon, we are headed for long drive to dunes, for which we will have both the cars for comparison.

At 109k + Installation, the kit surely is on expensive side. A typical Old Man EMU or Ironman kit costs 70-90k for similar setups(for Fortuner/Endeavour), but those are mass market cars and suspension brands(at global level).

Some pics-

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20211111wa0018.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20211111wa0003.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20211111wa0009.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithunSathianat View Post
Please put it for thorough test if you get a chance especially some off-roading where rear wheel articulation is also tested to ensure the current capabilities are uncompromised.
Since the ride height is unchanged and none of the linkages are different in this setup, I dont expect any change to articulation at all.
.anshuman is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 12:46   #2554
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Can you check this, and post a comparo pic of Ecosense from your ICE please?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...ml#post4949934

Does Ecosense actually give you ratings based on your driving - considering you also have an AT?
Here is the Ecosense tab in my Car Info.
Although I still don't have the Rev cam option in the Car Info tab cause the service center has not been able to update the software. But as per my guess, the Mahindra Dealership has sold 2 to 3 Automatic Thars here. Automatic demand is minimal here. So, Software update for the HU has been a bit tricky

So, If they do update the software for my HU for the reverse camera functionality, Ecosense tab might get removed.

P. S Ecosense score of 100 is because of my reset.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-p_20211115_081029.jpg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-p_20211115_081035.jpg  

Last edited by dr_TJ : 15th November 2021 at 12:49.
dr_TJ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 13:15   #2555
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is an update on my quoted post from few days ago.....

It will get better as it is used. I took mine for a round trip to Saharanpur and back. Drove hard and fast especially in the Mohund Forest section. The Jeep is handling like a car now. Very confident!

I have set it at 11 clicks from the hardest for the front and 13 clicks from the hardest for the rear. Will be experimenting more as time goes on but today morning after a rest of 1 day in between, the ride sure feels very nice with the constant movement reduced quite a bit. Though the undulations are still felt and the movement over undulations are also present.
Will be talking to Karna and the Arka Team for further tuning tips so as to get this suspension to work at its maximum potential.

I do feel that there is a slight lift in the front. A very slight one.
navpreet318 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 14:50   #2556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibendum90949 View Post
I'm in touch with their guy in Bangalore and would soon be test driving their Thar fitted with this suspension.
I've test driven a friend's petrol AT Thar with the AVO suspension for a short run but on some typical bad roads of Bangalore - potholes, unscientific humps, mini craters et al. The car had done only 600 kms or so post installation. He told the setting was at the comfort position, not sure about the count of clicks to the position. It was a back to back drive with a stock petrol AT Thar and the difference was huge. Few quick impressions.

The inherent bobbing is contained to a very large extent. Car is much more planted and the composure has gone up by many notches. The sideways movements and inevitable body roll are tamed, of course not fully.

Ride is obviously and understandably on the firmer side but very much liveable. This isn't an issue at all since multiple suspension settings are available. More than the comfort and better dynamics, I look at it as a layer of safety addition to the car that can improve the handling on highways and ghats. With this, I feel one won't be caught off guard if it hits an undulation on highways at speeds or a pothole /hump that can unnerve the car and the driver. It's a worthy upgrade I reckon.

Quote:
This is an update on my quoted post from few days ago..

1.Ride quality is a lot more composed, the constant up and down, sideways movements have been controlled to a great extent. Feels much more car like than Scorpio like earlier.

Yes this is the big gain in the whole set up. Also I understand they have retained the stock springs at the front. Only the four dampers and the rear springs come with the AVO pack. One needs to find a sweet spot basis their preference with trial and error. It can't be a one size fits all scenario since the kerb weights of petrol and diesel Thars are different too. And Thar owners who upsize tyres too has to tweak the settings and play with it before arriving at a sweet spot.

Another friend is also installing the same in his petrol AT in the coming week and we intend to take the car for a long drive and some off roading too post that. Shall update soon.

Quote:
At 109k + Installation, the kit surely is on expensive side. A typical Old Man EMU or Ironman kit costs 70-90k for similar setups(for Fortuner/Endeavour), but those are mass market cars and suspension brands(at global level).
Yes true that. One has to factor in the testing efforts, specifically for Thar, that has gone behind and the price range of a mass market one doesn't hold good. Also I guess the 70-90K prices of Iron man was some time back. Even new Iron man kit for gypsies are being quoted at 110-120k+ or even more AFAIK. But then it includes the bushes, dampers and leaf springs etc for all four sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Drove hard and fast especially in the Mohund Forest section. The Jeep is handling like a car now. Very confident!
This is exactly the trait I was looking for with AVO. It indeed makes the Thar a much more safer car(in the context of driving dynamics)

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 15th November 2021 at 15:13.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 20:12   #2557
BHPian

Hello, I need help with securing the spare tyre, any Ford Ecosport like locking nut available to buy online? Also, I am in need of a Auto-dimming IRVM for the Thar.
Any information?
Old 15th November 2021, 20:32   #2558
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Hello, I need help with securing the spare tyre, any Ford Ecosport like locking nut available to buy online? Also, I am in need of a Auto-dimming IRVM for the Thar.
Any information?
Hi, I have purchased 5 locking nuts after my tyre upgrade from Farad India, for my Thar. You can call Mahendra of Farad on +917507801517 and refer my name (Srikanth).
getsurya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 21:45   #2559
Team-BHP Support

Finally after waiting for around 11-1/2 months, our Thar came to the dealership. It’s produced on 30th October. I am not sure what all accessories should I get from the showroom. Sales person was suggesting to go for the camera at least. There’s some voucher of 9,000 which can be used if we buy some minimum value or something like that.

Will go through this thread but it has become very exhaustive. I will be keen to know the minimum accessories that we should pick from the dealership. It’s Diesel Auto - Hard Top
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-whatsapp-image-20211115-2.36.09-pm.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th November 2021 at 21:48.
Turbanator is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 22:16   #2560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Finally after waiting for around 11-1/2 months, our Thar came to the dealership. It’s produced on 30th October. I am not sure what all accessories should I get from the showroom. Sales person was suggesting to go for the camera at least. There’s some voucher of 9,000 which can be used if we buy some minimum value or something like that.

Will go through this thread but it has become very exhaustive. I will be keen to know the minimum accessories that we should pick from the dealership. It’s Diesel Auto - Hard Top
Hello, As per your VIN, its produced in the month of August and not in October.
highwaypatrol is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 22:19   #2561
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hello, As per your VIN, its produced in the month of August and not in October.
So, can this be dispatch date from the factory? Why is Mahindra keeping stuff at the factory and not delivering in that case?

Edit - Just rechecked the message from the SA, it says, plant billing date

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th November 2021 at 22:36.
Turbanator is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 22:30   #2562
BHPian

Quote:
So, can this be dispatch date from the factory? Why is Mahindra keeping stuff at the factory and not delivering in that case?
M2H is 2021, August manufactured. Mine is M2G, i.e July 2021

My Thar Diesel HT AT was manufactured in July 2021 and dispatched in August. The original booking for the specific Thar was cancelled and I accepted the offer for its delivery. I took delivery in September.

During my PDI, the HU was not installed. It was on its way to the dealership separately. Global semi-conductor shortage is one of the reason of delayed dispatch from the factory.
The HU in my Thar was installed on delivery day
dr_TJ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th November 2021, 23:52   #2563
BHPian

Quote:
I will be keen to know the minimum accessories that we should pick from the dealership. It’s Diesel Auto - Hard Top
Congratulations on your new Thar! Some of the accessories which I got and felt important were as follows :
- Fuel pump and Radiator protector : Dealer
- Floor mats
- Rear camera : Dealer
- Dash Cam
- Front and rear arm rest
- Headlights replacement

I have mentioned the ones I got from dealer and rest are after market.
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 04:12   #2564
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone get a call about a service action, where M&M is replacing the locking mechanism of the hood? I was we enroute my planned long drive when I got the call from my dealership - while I don't know the details, my guess is that the main locking mechanism is getting replaced with a two step lock. I'll only know when I get it done, but if someone else for the call, please update

Needless to add, the proactivenesd of M&M in improving a jeep they sold me almost a year ago continues to pleasantly baffle me!
ph03n!x is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 16th November 2021, 07:06   #2565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
During my PDI, the HU was not installed. It was on its way to the dealership separately. Global semi-conductor shortage is one of the reason of delayed dispatch from the factory.
The HU in my Thar was installed on delivery day
Its true, I went for a Test drive for Thar Petrol Automatic and XUV700 Diesel Manual. The Sales rep said that it is common for the cars to come without HeadUnit and they are being fitted in later.
He also stated that a lot of cars are there in stockyard without the Headunit. Though they are trained but I doubt the fit and finish will be as good as it comes out of the factory (though I may be wrong on this).
swunkjyn is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks