Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2021, 15:40   #2641
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhubaneswar01 View Post
Also I will be grateful if anyone could share their experience with reverse camera, as in whether installing a Blaupunkt reverse camera would void the warranty instead of installing a Mahindra reverse camera which I believe is coupler to coupler?
I doubt if anyone will be able to confirm for sure. However, my take is that as long as you take care of not cutting stock wires and any splicing is done through scotch lock or equivalent cleanly, it should be fine. I have Mahindra reverse camera and does an ok job.
Old 4th December 2021, 15:52   #2642
BHPian

Quote:

1. Also I will be grateful if anyone could share their experience with reverse camera, as in whether installing a Blaupunkt reverse camera would void the warranty instead of installing a Mahindra reverse camera which I believe is coupler to coupler?

2. Is there any difference between ABS and FRP 7 slot grill? which one should one go for? No one in the market is able to clarify which is better and both are costing almost the same with abs being a bit more expensive. Folks at Bimbra are insisting on FRP over ABS saying FRP is superior. Pls share your views
1. I bought Mahindra's genuine reverse camera from m2all.com. Serves the purpose well for me. No issues with night vision, gets the job done. Although installation is not coupler to coupler. Scotch-lock wire connectors are provided in the package. Although the Mahindra service center guys didn't use those scotch lock and directly spliced the wires to tap power and signal. Installation job is just average at best. I could do a better job at installation but I lack a power drill to install the camera on the bumper and you need a custom software for the HU to support the reverse camera. If you plan to get the Blaupunkt camera, you just need to replace the stock camera with the Blaupunkt one. I bought the Genuine Camera for Rs 2500 + Rs 100 Shipping charge. Rs 1000 installation charge, paid at the service center.

2. I heard the opposite. Few Thar grill sellers are saying ABS is better than FRP. Few FRP grill go for as low as Rs 7500 and ABS one is for Rs 12000.

Need more clarity on which front grill is better?

Last edited by dr_TJ : 4th December 2021 at 15:56.
dr_TJ is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 16:10   #2643

I too wanted to get these for my vehicle however not sure if this will void the warranty as I was told not to tinker with the electricals

Quote:
Based on Alok's experience with Genome, I reached out to them and they shared the headlight designs available for Thar. I am also attaching the Official Mahindra Thar accessories catalogue.

Also I will be grateful if anyone could share their experience with reverse camera, as in whether installing a Blaupunkt reverse camera would void the warranty instead of installing a Mahindra reverse camera which I believe is coupler to coupler?

2. Is there any difference between ABS and FRP 7 slot grill? which one should one go for? No one in the market is able to clarify which is better and both are costing almost the same with abs being a bit more expensive. Folks at Bimbra are insisting on FRP over ABS saying FRP is superior. Pls share your views
Old 4th December 2021, 16:23   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
2. I heard the opposite. Few Thar grill sellers are saying ABS is better than FRP. Few FRP grill go for as low as Rs 7500 and ABS one is for Rs 12000.

Need more clarity on which front grill is better?
I did a bit of research in ABS vs. FRP when I changed my Thar's grill.

ABS (Acrylonitrile, Butadiene, Styrene) is a polymer whose properties can be decided based on the composition of the polymer - typical auto application makes them strong, yet flexible. Stock grill is ABS.

FRP (Fibreglass Reinforced Plastic) - these are like plastic concrete reinforced with fibreglass rods (bad analogy ) and are used in custom audio installs, body kits, etc. They are more rigid than ABS and hence are prone to breaking/ cracking (on impact, for instance).

When I got my grill from Auto Ignite way back, there were not many options available - it was an expensive affair, buying it, painting it, installing it. There's enough and more available now, so you can experiment with the choices at relatively lower cost than what I did
ph03n!x is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 16:29   #2645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
Posting pics of Genome performance bi-xenon headlights. It was 60 W and 5000k.
Isn’t the alignment a bit too high? Seems to reach the 1st floor of that building!
Dry Ice is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2021, 17:57   #2646
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
Isn’t the alignment a bit too high? Seems to reach the 1st floor of that building!
Yes. Correct observation . Getting it fixed tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
I did a bit of research in ABS vs. FRP when I changed my Thar's grill.
Thanks! Great Info on the grill. I did look at Bimbra's one which was available in pune and I did not like their overall finish. Still looking for an option in 7 slot which has better finish.

Last edited by Aditya : 5th December 2021 at 05:20. Reason: Back to back posts merged
alokk0912 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 12:00   #2647
BHPian

Finally got around to getting some upgrades done.

1. ABS vs FRP Grill: As mentioned by Phoenix, ABS is better but another thing I noticed is that the headlights fit better on the ABS grills. FRP grills leave a gap around the lights.

2. Reverse Cam: I got the 10" Dashcam mirror with front and reverse 1080p Dashcam, similar to the 70 Mai option on amazon. Mahindra dealership refused to install it so it was a DIY project that took 60-90 minutes.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-2.jpeg  

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar.jpeg  

Cavityavenger is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 5th December 2021, 12:15   #2648
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
An unexpected and pleasant gesture by my dealership's CRM Team on my Thar's first birthday - a nice bouquet and a big box of sweets!

We have a few cars, owned some more in the past, but I haven't heard of a dealership celebrating a vehicle's first birthday

Thank you M&M, and thank you CAI Mahindra!! If only all dealerships of M&M are like you...!

I'll post a detailed one-year update in my ownership thread soon!
Congrats . Waiting for your ownership thread. Cheers.
Old 6th December 2021, 08:38   #2649
BHPian

Is there any restriction w.r.t. driving around in an open top jeep/car on Indian city roads?
Old 6th December 2021, 10:00   #2650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TokyoDrifter View Post
Is there any restriction w.r.t. driving around in an open top jeep/car on Indian city roads?
Apart from dust, pollution, and maybe paan laced extracellular fluids from buses n trucks.

The convertible top is registered as one in the RC, so no legal issues per se!
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2021, 14:43   #2651

Quote:
I got the reverse camera from M&M Thar genuine accessory installed by dealer and it does the job well. Its not plush mounted on to the bumper but it kind of sticks out a bit facing downward.

Also it displays guide lines on the screen and it doesn't come with LED light built-in for low light scenario, I found the low light performance to be descent though.

I have Blaupunkt on my Swift and the M & M reversing camera on Thar isn't bad compared to Blaupunkt in terms of quality of video.
Old 6th December 2021, 15:54   #2652
BHPian

I too got the M&M rear camera. Neatly installed and quality is decent enough for me to not really want an upgrade. I will say that driving cars without these aids has trained me to rely more on the mirrors than camera so YMMV.

On another note went for my first service (one month). I tried to get the carpet mats but they kept slipping so in the end returned it and stayed with the Weathertech mats I was already using.

The Black Panther has run a little more than 600 kms in its first month with a couple of long drives in the offing.

First free service though I was asked to pitch in for the engine spray (1k) which I declined.
Terrific service at PPS Thanisandra.

Last edited by Aditya : 7th December 2021 at 05:04. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 6th December 2021, 18:50   #2653
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
The Black Panther has run a little more than 600 kms in its first month with a couple of long drives in the offing.
First service should be done after 1 month or 1000 kms?
Old 6th December 2021, 18:57   #2654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
For those interested in real-world FE figures of the mStallion mill, here is what I got on my 280 km run from Bangalore to south Coorg, drive being a mix of NH, SH, and interior narrow hilly roads. Of course, I was a tad gentle on the pedal as the Thar is yet to touch the 1000 km mark on its odo. Decent figures nonetheless, for a 2 lit turbo petrol with AT.
Those are good figures indeed. I am getting roughly 9kmpl on highways and about 6-7 in city. I am using TFE method. I have not driven it beyond 80km speed yet. It has only done 1300kms in total though. Is this normal for a petrol Thar?
Old 6th December 2021, 20:34   #2655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alokk0912 View Post
First service should be done after 1 month or 1000 kms?
I was told whichever was earlier by the service guys. Since one month rolled by quicker than the thousand km on the odo, I went for the service rather than delaying it further.
Kapany is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks