Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2022, 20:32   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The windscreen has a slight crack but it can't be felt from either side if the glass
Can you check this part -

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img202201011720082.jpg

The white dot that I've circled, is that dust or is there something there? If there's a dot there, could be a minor stone / debris hitting the glass there resulting in a slow crack. If there's absolutely nothing around the crack, then have it checked at your service center.

Have you used the heater on the glass, maybe to get rid of fogging? I've known of a Thar who's glass cracked coz he had the heater on for a while and had positioned it towards the windshield...

Last edited by ph03n!x : 2nd January 2022 at 20:34.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2022, 23:37   #2747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Can you check this part -

You know just after I sent this pic i cleaned the windscreen and noticed the small dots. Was wondering if that could be the culprit too. It's very strange though, do you think it's the quality of glass or the fact that it's almost vertical, that could have caused it. I never thought it would happen like this.

I haven't really used the heater much either, but it's an interesting point. I would need it at the low temperatures here but will try not to use it on the glass (atleast not at high temp) .
sammyboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:17   #2748
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
What size bfg are you looking for?
Honestly I am still not sure if I should go for 16s or stick to 18s. Cant make up my mind.
Old 3rd January 2022, 10:29   #2749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.U View Post
A question to the people who are using BFGs on their Thars- how much did you pay for a set of 5?

I made some enquiries and was quoted an eye watering price of ₹35,000 per piece plus shipping.
Well, I was given a quote of 36k without any bill or warranty. A lot of grey dealings are going on. I was told that it's a direct import made by the dealer himself and he doesn't disclose it as it might affect his BF dealership.

I will stay away and only procure it once we have a settled rate/distribution.

I will get my LX AT HT Petrol this weekend. Wanted to get the rubber changed the same day to get some bucks of the OEM tire but looks like it's not going to happen.
Old 3rd January 2022, 12:44   #2750
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Nair.V8 sure will buzz you once the Thar is delivered, where have you booked your, I have mine from NBS Andheri, tentative dealer LFAD is 9th Jan I hope it stays that way and not gets postponed again. Hope you get yours soon too.
I made the booking at Randhawa (LBS), they claim mine will be delivered before/within Feb. Although, I haven't received any written confirmation yet.
Fingers crossed its sooner than later!
Old 3rd January 2022, 19:34   #2751
BHPian

Friends, Got my Rocky Beige Diesel HT AT last week after about 6 months, in time for my year end vacation.

A shout out to Anand (sales) from Sireesha Rajajinagar and Pravin (Accessories head) for their prompt service.

Have covered over 1500 km including about 20 km offroad through jungle trails in 4H, picking up a few battle scars.

The vehicle is a pleasure to drive as many have pointed out. Covered Mysore, Hassan, Chikmagalur, Kemmangundi and Mekedatu. Completed first service in Hassan.

I have been in several 4*4 vehicles for Jungle Safaris, but this is my first drive and it is pure bliss.

Went in for most accessories from dealer to save on installation time and retain warranty. Will post details once everything is installed.

There is a huge desirability and individuality factor with the Thar and am sure many more friends will join me for rides with Thar than any other cars.

While I am yet to get over the initial euphoria (sincerely hope it continues for long), two drawbacks I couldn't ignore are poor headlights and difficult access to rear seats for elders.

Could get around the latter by using a plastic bathroom stool as a makeshift intermediate step. Confused if I should just change to better bulbs or switch to LED for better visibility.

Couldn't take many pictures as I was driving most times.

Sincere thanks to team-bhp and every team member on this thread who have virtually been part of my journey owning Thar.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20211231_152042.jpg  

Mogs is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 02:56   #2752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
Same here. Crazy rates for BFG. What’s worse is that none of the people I have spoken to are least interested in buying the hardly driven stock tires back from me, making it a complete waste. Will probably hold off this purchase for some time. What size bfg are you looking for?
I do not want to quote the names but called a few dealers in Gurgaon (NCR region mostly) and have been told the following -

180000 for 5 tyres 285/60/18 BF Goodrich KO2
Exchange price : 22500 for 5 Ceat & 27500 for 5 MRF

Or

152500 if you get MRF
157500 if you get Ceat

He suggested not to go for them (unless I have an urge only to buy them), because of the price factor and said to go for Maxxis/Wideway as they are costing somewhere from 18k to 19k per tyre. Also 16 inch BFG's are not easy to find too, the other option would have been to lower the rim size to 16 inch and then get the BFG as they would be cheaper.
swunkjyn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 09:48   #2753
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mushroomz View Post
Well, I was given a quote of 36k without any bill or warranty. A lot of grey dealings are going on. I was told that it's a direct import made by the dealer himself and he doesn't disclose it as it might affect his BF dealership.

I will stay away and only procure it once we have a settled rate/distribution.

I will get my LX AT HT Petrol this weekend. Wanted to get the rubber changed the same day to get some bucks of the OEM tire but looks like it's not going to happen.
You should be happy that you are saving 1.8L now and then having to spend this again after a few years of use. Tyre is a consumable as well as it is prone to damage during off-road excursions. Avoid spending too much money on it.
Old 4th January 2022, 10:21   #2754
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
Confused if I should just change to better bulbs or switch to LED for better visibility.
Congrats on your Thar!! It surely is an aspirational vehicle for most of us. It was outright vetoed by my wife to be even put on the consideration list.

On the conversion to LED - Just no. Please, no. You'll severely hamper not only your visibility but also the traffic around you.

Halogens and LEDs aren't interchangeable. This is because the light radiates out differently from both Halogen and LED. Unless of course, you change the entire reflector housing itself.

For headlights, the beam projection is more critical than the intensity of the light itself. If you simply swap the bulbs and put an incompatible bulb, what will simply happen is that you'll dazzle the traffic around because the reflector housing isn't designed for the way the LED lights work. Consequently, it will not really improve your visibility either.

The below video by Gagan Choudhary explains this.

The closest conversion would be HID since the light radiates out similar to Halogen. So you can explore this option.
krishnakumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 10:36   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogs View Post
...... Confused if I should just change to better bulbs or switch to LED for better visibility.
The first option you should try is getting better bulbs. Try the Osram Night breakers. Worked for me. Visibility is definitely better as well as throw.
You can also try the Phillips rally vision or race vision. The equivalent ones of the Osram Night breakers.

Also get your lights focus adjusted. Works wonders.
navpreet318 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 12:24   #2756
BHPian

Got a facelift done for the beauty with new eyes and a nose job:-)

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-thar-3.jpeg
the pony is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 13:08   #2757
VND
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
The first option you should try is getting better bulbs. Try the Osram Night breakers. Worked for me. Visibility is definitely better as well as throw.
You can also try the Phillips rally vision or race vision. The equivalent ones of the Osram Night breakers.

Also get your lights focus adjusted. Works wonders.
Hi,

What's the life of those bulbs? I am considering Philips racing vision but it says that bulb life is about 200 hours only for H7, Thar uses H4 so might be a little more.

Also what is your take on HID setup? Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 13:29   #2758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
No bro, no coconut trees this side of the country :( i think my pic didn't come out clear too. The windscreen has a slight crack but it can't be felt from either side if the glass . Sorry'for the poor post, should have been clearer.
This is a known weak point of the new Thar, even a minor impact and the front glass goes cracking. Happened to us, and my friend actually used windshield guys to repair. They basically put a small mark perpendicular to the crack to arrest the spread and then use some liquid to fill in the existing crack. Apparently this is an old technique used by window glass folks, I was told.

Replacement is not very costly otherwise and the new glass is under some 4000 INR.
Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:04   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the pony View Post
Got a facelift done for the beauty with new eyes and a nose job:-)

Attachment 2253910
How is the light output from those new headlights?

I have installed Bi-LED Projector Fog lights on my Thar, looking to upgrade to better headlights next.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-p_20211230_175149.jpg

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-p_20211226_142213.jpg

Lumiere Concepts have some really cool looking Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights for the Thar.

Last edited by dr_TJ : 4th January 2022 at 14:06.
dr_TJ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2022, 14:29   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
How is the light output from those new headlights?
The light output is much better as compared to the stock halogen ones but nothing extraordinary. Maybe not a fair comparison but I have an Octavia with full adaptive LED setup and these ones don't hold a candle in front of those.
the pony is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed