Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2022, 22:09   #2821
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Is it the mHawk Diesel or mStallion Petrol?

Mahindra should address the issue professionally.
I checked the gentleman's post on FB. Seems like it was a Diesel Manual. What would be interesting to know is what caused this failure and how Mahindra handles it.
Old 24th January 2022, 12:04   #2822
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_TJ View Post
Also someone please help me regarding how to gain access to the car DRL and Turn indicator Coupler.
You need to remove wheel arch cladding to gain access to DRLs.
nitinralli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th January 2022, 14:19   #2823

I recently took delivery of my thar diesel auto a month back.Upon hard acceleration,I can feel vibration on the accelerator pedal when the gears are changing.It is most evident when gear is shifting from 2nd to 3rd.
Anyone else also facing the same issue?
TIA.
AadvityaG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 12:59   #2824
Senior - BHPian

The DTE of the Thar gave me a slight scare this weekend. Its been raining in Doon last 2 days and I thought I should take advantage of the weather and go for a short spin. The DTE was showing a range of 160 odd kms so I wasn't worried. I wasnt ripping or off roading either so there was nothing to worry about, right?
By the time I did the 50 ish kms drive, the DTE had come to 28 kms and I was praying I don't get stranded. Thankfully was able to reach the pump and the Thar gulped about 47 liters of fuel (petrol)by cut-off.

Not going to go with DTE figures again ��

Last edited by sammyboy : 25th January 2022 at 13:00.
sammyboy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 14:30   #2825
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The DTE of the Thar gave me a slight scare this weekend. Its been raining in Doon last 2 days and I thought I should take advantage of the weather and go for a short spin. The DTE was showing a range of 160 odd kms so I wasn't worried. I wasnt ripping or off roading either so there was nothing to worry about, right?
By the time I did the 50 ish kms drive, the DTE had come to 28 kms and I was praying I don't get stranded. Thankfully was able to reach the pump and the Thar gulped about 47 liters of fuel (petrol)by cut-off.

Not going to go with DTE figures again ��

Yeah, that's happened to me too - I go by the trip meter, and plan for 600 KM as the r safe ange per full tank. DTE and indicated mileage are wonky at best and misleading at worst!
Old 25th January 2022, 14:57   #2826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyboy View Post
The DTE of the Thar gave me a slight scare this weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Yeah, that's happened to me too - I go by the trip meter, and plan for 600 KM as the r safe ange per full tank. DTE and indicated mileage are wonky at best and misleading at worst!
Does DTE stand for Don't Trust Eternally?

Last edited by Bibendum90949 : 25th January 2022 at 15:01.
Bibendum90949 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 16:19   #2827
BHPian

TEST DRIVE on your regular routes!

That's my one advice to any potential Thar buyers, after finally getting around to driving the Thar Petrol AT HT recently.

Backstory - I have previously driven a last gen Thar on 2 occasions -
1 - Did a week long overlanding trip through Meghalaya a couple years ago in a rented Thar. This one was modified with a rooftop tent mounted on an external metal frame. The trip started and finished in Guwahati, so it included some nice stretches of mountain highways, well laid canyon roads, as well as sections of non-existant roads, broken stone/rock layered paths. This is the experience that really sold me on the idea of owning a Thar. As a couple we both didnt feel any excessive discomforts or tiredness over the week which involved hours of driving every day. I was actually quite impressed with the performance and handling (speaking loosely in SWB Ladder on frame expectations.)
2 - Rented one for a few days in Goa. Drove north into Maharashtra. Explored all over Goa. Went for dinners, etc. The usual Goa itinerary. Felt quite comfortable with the car and drives were fun. The rudimentary nature of the Thar was more evident during this trip as we were no longer on an adventure where the utility of the vehicle allowed us to gloss over the minimalist features. Overall though, there were no deal breakers, and it stayed on our list of adventure vehicle to potentially own.

Over the last 2-3 years, I have been glued to overlanding videos on YouTube, and Travelogues on TeamBHP. The aspiration to get on the bandwagon with a go anywhere vehicle was kept alive with planning the kind of modifications possible, the places that could be reached, etc.

In fact I was even going through a debate over the tires of choice for my needs - i.e. non-offroading but adventorous drives through poor surfaces to reach previous unreachable destinations. A question that is yet unanswered on this journey is - Does the new Thar really need tires the same profile as a much heavier and much more powerful Jeep Wrangler an is the 255mm profile provided purely as a "tashan" statement or does it serve a purpose besides making the car less fuel efficient?

So while all the mental gymnastics took place, my current XUV500 hit the 80,000KM mark and for the most part has provided me a smooth ownership experience. Mahindra has managed to keep me in the more than happy to spend money on your vehicles camp. So as is logical a test drive of the much written about new Thar was arranged by my dealer.

And this is when realisation dawned...

The Thar Petrol AT showed up at home, and having previously already checked it out a couple times at the showroom, I wasted no time in jumping into the drivers seat and set off. Or did I? No, I sorted out the seat positioning for my liking, being on the taller side, I went to adjust the steering and .... no reach adjust. Ok, I suppose, I can adjust myself for the love of adventure. Began adjusting the ORVM, and the driver side ORVM reached the extreme and wouldn't budge more. But I could still see a lot of Thar in the mirror, it should allow further adjustment for safer driving. Oh well, forget it. Minor details. We will figure something out when I get my own Thar.

So we finally set off.... and..... there it was!! The SWB jeep characteristics stared me in my face the moment we were out of the driveway.
**Anyone familiar with Kolkata roads will know that our streets never seem broken or poorly maintained, from a distance they look like nicely laid out tar carpets, but once you drive on them you realise that there has been zero effort to maintain any kind of levelling between the various patches along any stretch of road. You're driving on essentially a reasonably smooth feeling but wavy road surface. And not just wavy in one direction.**
And the moment the Thar was driven on these roads, I could feel the pitching, the kicking up of the rear, the rolling, shaking you around in the drivers seat. Ignoring that I powered on to get a feel for the drivetrain, and was quite impressed with the overall performance but not by the fuel economy on display. Having reset the trip meter pre test drive, it stood at a handsome 7.1 km/L at the end. Adjusting for MID error, I'd expect a city efficiency of 6-7 km/L for the Thar Petrol AT in Kolkata traffic.

All the pre test drive excitement had vanished and the realisation that this was definitely not a vehicle I would be comfortable using around the city set in. Plans dropped. XUV700 ownership becomes closer to reality for my future.

Of course, being a TeamBHPian, the dream isn't dead. The posts about suspension upgrades (AVO suspension) have kept the dream alive. Maybe in the future when I get a chance to drive a Thar with the suspension changed, this ember will once again light up into a bright flame!

So, TLDR - Please test drive the Thar over the surfaces you intend to drive it for most of it's life. You can choose to compromise on many aspects of a vehicle, but make sure the compromise is a choice and not a post purchase compulsion.
ask99 is online now   (30) Thanks
Old 25th January 2022, 23:30   #2828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ask99 View Post
TEST DRIVE on your regular routes!
And the moment the Thar was driven on these roads, I could feel the pitching, the kicking up of the rear, the rolling, shaking you around in the drivers seat.
The ride quality on the Thar is far from being plush and no where close to the Innova or XUV 7OO. However would suggest once to check the tire pressure of the car you test drove. 29-30 PSI at cold start gives the ideal ride comfort in the city and I find it to be quite reasonable.

My hunch is the Thar you drove had tire pressure upwards of 32 PSI giving such a hash ride experience.
sid_deb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 12:47   #2829
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid_deb View Post
The ride quality on the Thar is far from being plush and no where close to the Innova or XUV 7OO. However would suggest once to check the tire pressure of the car you test drove. 29-30 PSI at cold start gives the ideal ride comfort in the city and I find it to be quite reasonable.

My hunch is the Thar you drove had tire pressure upwards of 32 PSI giving such a hash ride experience.
I did check the TPMS, but someone had it set to units of kPa so the numbers did not make sense. The SA did tell me the pressure was set to 32 though. Will try and get it checked at a trusty Air machine before the next test drive and see if things change. Fingers crossed!
ask99 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2022, 20:21   #2830
Senior - BHPian

Set your front tire pressure to 32 and rear to 30.
lurker is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2022, 16:55   #2831
BHPian

Hello Folks
So after cancelling my booking last year I think I cannot postpone my purchase farther than August this year, which means I will have to book it now. What I was wondering was if anyone has any inputs on whether there is going to be a a 2022 Model which some alterations ? Maybe some learnings incorporated from the on going version or some upgrades ?
Old 28th January 2022, 21:54   #2832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
?Maybe some learnings incorporated from the on going version or some upgrades ?
You will probably have better luck timing the share market my friend. If you like it, get it. Dont overthink.
sammyboy is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 00:08   #2833
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karan_n8 View Post
Hello Folks
So after cancelling my booking last year I think I cannot postpone my purchase farther than August this year, which means I will have to book it now. What I was wondering was if anyone has any inputs on whether there is going to be a a 2022 Model which some alterations ? Maybe some learnings incorporated from the on going version or some upgrades ?
There is no facelift in '22 for the Thar, but all service actions and updates will be done from factory in newer vehicles.

My Diesel CT AT is getting the first batch, and I'd updated my ownership thread a few days ago with all service actions that's been carried out in my Thar - I'm going in for another one, a radiator change service action tomorrow.

You can trust M&M to do right by their vehicle in terms of proactive service actions like the dozen or so that I've undergone as and when a need arises!
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2022, 11:47   #2834
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Thar new TVC in Hindi

Quote:
This was done back when Thar was launched but such was the runaway (and unexpected) success & incredible bookings (and wait!) that the TVC was shelved lest it lead to an even more unmanageable waiting list.
Link
Name:  SmartSelect_20220129114914_Twitter.gif
Views: 1923
Size:  1.92 MB

Name:  SmartSelect_20220129114944_Twitter.gif
Views: 2329
Size:  1.71 MB

Name:  SmartSelect_20220129115041_Twitter.gif
Views: 2177
Size:  2.84 MB

Last edited by Venkatesh : 29th January 2022 at 12:06.
Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2022, 08:28   #2835
BHPian

Hi there,

It's like a childhood dream coming true, my love started with Classic (Red)... Then came the previous gen Thar, but nothing pulled the string as hard as the current CT Thar. Well it's another thing that I couldn't afford one either

After a long research, finally decided to take the plunge! The mind screamed 'No', but heart wouldn't listen... plonking nearly 17.8 big ones (Bangalore On Road), booked a LX D MT CT Cheery Red...

I would like your suggestions on the list of enhancements am planning;

Official M&M - radiator gaurd, fuel tank gaurd, reverse camera and bug deflector.

Also, wondering if I should swap to BFG KA02s on stock alloys? Finding it hard to find inputs, on the road manners post swap. BFGs are primarily to enhance the looks and off road traction, but I don't want to compromise on the dynamics either... Driving is what I enjoy most!

Thank you
dr.dre is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks