Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2021, 11:11   #2686
BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayeshdamle View Post
Congratulations on the ride and wish you happy miles. Can you please share from where you got tbe headlights replaced. I am waiting for mine but wanted to know of any good place in Mumbai for the minimum mods that I am planning
Thanks Jayesh. The headlights were sourced from Bimbra 4x4 and were installed at their authorised dealer - Future India at Andheri.
Old 13th December 2021, 10:23   #2687
BHPian

I have just been informed that the GVW of Thar is 2214 kgs. With the kerb weight itself being 1750 kgs, that only leaves 464 kgs for any add-ons like fuel, passengers, luggage, under-body protection, bumpers, winches, lights, jerry-cans, ladders, roof racks, roof-top tents/shades, tools, compressors, larger wheels/tyres, suspension upgrades etc.

I wonder how is it some people (like some YouTubers) have installed a lot of overlanding and other accessories (some of which are listed above); and yet remain within GVW. Or is it that they have no concept of GVW at all (or do not care)?

People here who have done some or all of these, I would love to hear your take on this and how you managed this in your case.

Thanks and cheers

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 14:20   #2688
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
I was contemplating putting a Dieseltronic Piggyback ECU for enhanced power and torque. Has anyone used it ? Seems to be clean plug and play solution. Also at present some discount also going on on the product.
Anyone using Dieseltronic ?
How is this in long run? Does it damage or something or is reliable?
Old 13th December 2021, 15:02   #2689
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfreak View Post
Anyone using Dieseltronic ?
How is this in long run? Does it damage or something or is reliable?
I have used Dieseltronic dual channel power box on my earlier Fortuner and it is amazing, for sure. Makes the drive a lot more peppy and joyful!

It doesn't damage anything and I have used it for 6 years on the Fortuner. It actually increased the mileage.

I have ordered my Dieseltronic powerbox for Thar and waiting it's delivery now. I'm super happy with Race Dynamics and their piggy back power box options!!

Last edited by getsurya : 13th December 2021 at 15:04.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2021, 16:27   #2690
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
I have just been informed that the GVW of Thar is 2214 kgs. With the kerb weight itself being 1750 kgs, that only leaves 464 kgs for any add-ons like fuel, passengers, luggage, under-body protection, bumpers, winches, lights, jerry-cans, ladders, roof racks, roof-top tents/shades, tools, compressors, larger wheels/tyres, suspension upgrades etc.
Thanks for bringing this piece of information. One question, does this GVW include towing capacity too? Meaning towing weight has to be within 464 kg including cargo and trailer?

Asking because if we add the weight of 2 average passengers to be 130 and fuel to be 50, we are just left with 284 kgs.

Last edited by batish : 13th December 2021 at 16:29.
Old 14th December 2021, 11:53   #2691
BHPian

What is a good recommendation for Shackles and tow ropes? The heath brand gets thrown a lot, is it any good? What is the typical BHP Thar owner's set up? Very curious to hear if you all keep this equipment in the boot all the time or only while off-roading?
Old 14th December 2021, 12:43   #2692
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapany View Post
What is a good recommendation for Shackles and tow ropes? The heath brand gets thrown a lot, is it any good? What is the typical BHP Thar owner's set up? Very curious to hear if you all keep this equipment in the boot all the time or only while off-roading?
Ive gone in for soft shackles, a tow rope, and a snatch strap. Pretty light and safe as well. Bought it from AMX 4x4. Keep them in a bag in the office and take them when we go for off-roading which has happened just once since I bought the jeep in April. Such is the sad life of a businessman in automobile trade. No time for life.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 12:45   #2693
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Thanks for bringing this piece of information. One question, does this GVW include towing capacity too? Meaning towing weight has to be within 464 kg including cargo and trailer?

Asking because if we add the weight of 2 average passengers to be 130 and fuel to be 50, we are just left with 284 kgs.
AFAIK towing capacity is a separate number and does not affect GVW since the trailer is not on the car itself.

I am hoping that among the so many offroaders and overlanders here that at least one of them would respond with some input

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 12:53   #2694
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Ive gone in for soft shackles, a tow rope, and a snatch strap. Pretty light and safe as well. Bought it from AMX 4x4. Keep them in a bag in the office and take them when we go for off-roading which has happened just once since I bought the jeep in April. Such is the sad life of a businessman in automobile trade. No time for life.
Haha! I hope the businessman gets to go for a lot of off-roading trips in the next year! Thank you for the information. Appreciate it.
Old 14th December 2021, 13:36   #2695
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK towing capacity is a separate number and does not affect GVW since the trailer is not on the car itself.
Any idea what this number could be? Could not find anything in owner's manual.
Old 14th December 2021, 15:23   #2696
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There won't be any official towing capacity figures for the Thar as Mahindra would not have "certified" it for towing.

Last edited by cool_dube : 14th December 2021 at 15:26.
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th December 2021, 19:54   #2697
BHPian

Mahindra has been good at issuing recalls in a timely manner and dealers are doing a good job in getting the implementation of the recall as well.

What's been very strange is that many of us now have a broken AC knob and i am certain it's known to the product engineering team at M&M too.

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20211214wa0031.jpeg

But till date there has been no official recall and to make matters worse, most / all dealers keep parroting that they don't have the parts to replace the broken / defective AC vent.

My question is, what ensures that a defective part gets noticed and approved for a recall?
soumobakshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 11:51   #2698
Senior - BHPian

Got my new toy.

It's a Petrol HT AT delivered to me on Sunday. Booked it on 10th October 2021 and it reached stockyard on 10th November. But since I was traveling, hence it waited for ME for a month to take him home😀

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-img20211212wa0063.jpg
nitinralli is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th December 2021, 12:35   #2699
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
I have used Dieseltronic dual channel power box on my earlier Fortuner and it is amazing, for sure. Makes the drive a lot more peppy and joyful!

It doesn't damage anything and I have used it for 6 years on the Fortuner. It actually increased the mileage.

I have ordered my Dieseltronic powerbox for Thar and waiting it's delivery now. I'm super happy with Race Dynamics and their piggy back power box options!!
Waiting for your feedback. Being new to upgrading ECU am little apprehensive. But am sure getting it this time.
techfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th December 2021, 10:11   #2700
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
One question, does this GVW include towing capacity too? Meaning towing weight has to be within 464 kg including cargo and trailer?

Quote:

I am hoping that among the so many offroaders and overlanders here that at least one of them would respond with some input

Cheers
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
There won't be any official towing capacity figures for the Thar as Mahindra would not have "certified" it for towing.
Before you think about towing, we need to confirm if the Thar's ladder frame is even towing-ready.

See this (Various types of chassis sections used in Ladder frame construction) - specifically, the photo in the first thread. A frame that pull loads will need the K-member at the back like in this picture - the Thar doesn't have this member, at least not from my times under the body earlier during my ownership.

If this member is not present, you cannot pull loads - the frame cannot take it.
ph03n!x is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks