Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2022, 12:56   #3241
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)
Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

I maintain 34 PSI across all 4 tyres. I am usually driving alone or with just one passenger in front. Im running on the stock Ceat Czar tyres.

My Thar boot contains a lot of vehicle related paraphernalia and tools and tyre inflator and bottle jack and oil and coolant and jumper cables and all - kept in those boot organisers - all of which provides some level of load.

The rear seats in my case are almost always folded down to accommodate my golf bag and trolley.

We also have some concrete roads here in Bangalore.
And a lot of broken tarmac roads too.

I keep my AVO settings at 11 in front and 12 at the rear. And I am finding these settings perfect.

Yesterday I went to Sarjapur- Attibele region for golf.
Most of that stretch is under repair and it also has some elephantine speed breakers and some severe broken surfaces.

Since I was very early I also went onto some rutted tracks and a little off the road just to put the vehicle into 4H and give it a little exercise.

And just this morning my Dad and I drove up to Krishnagiri on the Salem highway for breakfast and back.

The Thar feels strong and solid and one can drive fearlessly over those speed breakers and rumble strips and even broken roads and everything.

I find the AVO suspension at these settings coupled with the above mentioned tyre pressures, a good match for my needs.

I don’t think the Thar will really ‘bottom out’ as you have mentioned. It is just hitting the bump stops because you’ve used setting number 8 at rear. If you increase it to 12 it will take a really elephantine speed breaker to cause the rear to hit the bump stops when descending the speed breaker.

I think you should increase your tyre pressure and use the settings as above. I’m confident you’ll see a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbolove View Post
Hey, I recently got the AVO suspension and am still trying Has it been the same for you over concrete roads ?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-5f5381446a5148cbb29d1eedcbe55baa.jpeg  

Last edited by moralfibre : 6th July 2022 at 02:19. Reason: Additional info. Duplicate attachments.
shankar.balan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th July 2022, 17:34   #3242
BHPian

Has anyone gotten a sunroof or a moonroof in the new Thar? I know Bimbra offers a manual for sunroof for about 60,000.

My first preference is a moonroof for the front. It shouldn't be too difficult to cut out the top and add a glass to it no? Any recommendations?

Edit: while doing a quick Google search, this is what I found: https://www.razencustoms.com/product...har-moon-roof/

Anyone has any experiences with Razen?

Last edited by vellatechie : 5th July 2022 at 17:37.
Old 5th July 2022, 21:51   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vellatechie View Post
Has anyone gotten a sunroof or a moonroof in the new Thar? I know Bimbra offers a manual for sunroof for about 60,000.
Switch to a convertible top, and go topless the sun or the moon!

Jokes apart, aftermarket sunroofs are a hit-or-miss affair for "regular" roofs - the fiber roof already is leak-prone (as recent as a few posts above this), don't think riding a sun/ moon roof to it is a good idea.

Especially when you can do top-less
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 00:06   #3244

Hi All,

I have a quick question about my Thar Diesel MT. I have noticed that whenever i drive on rumblers or small multiple speed breakers at decent slow speeds(20km/h-40km/h) the rear starts fish tailing. Am not sure how to explain this but when am crossing these breakers the read tends to slide out or just moves to one side. Am not sure why this happens and is this normal. My previous car was a swift petrol and it never felt this way and yes this is my first SUV/4*4/body-on-frame vehicle that am driving. I tend to slow down to crawl speeds to avoid this weird sliding but apart from that am having a blast with the vehicle. Cruising at 100km/h on highways with the rpm just under 2000 is something mind blowing for me, am in love with diesel engines. I think am becoming a 4*4 and a diesel addict.
AjitSen6333 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2022, 06:02   #3245
BANNED

This ‘slight slide’ is absolutely normal.

And honestly it will happen almost with any vehicle depending on the speed at which you are going over these rumblers.

Being a tall body on frame vehicle with a higher centre of gravity, this ‘slide’ is pretty tangible in the Mahindra Thar in its stock avatar.

The slide is more pronounced when the said rumblers are situated along a curve - we have a few instances of this in Bangalore - along the old airport road and on some parts of the outer ring road.

I also experience this all the time when in my stock Gypsy though that is a very light soft top - only half the weight of the Thar, but it has stock cross ply nylon tyres and leaf spring suspension which transfers the entire unadulterated road feel to the driver.

Also used to experience this in my earlier Yeti and now in my Dad’s Glanza. Of course to a different extent in each car.

It is there even in my Cooper with its sporty suspension, though I am extremely careful going over such things in that particular car.

But all this is greatly mitigated with the suspension upgrade such as the one I have carried out in my Thar. You can refer to my earlier posts on this thread for more details about the said upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitSen6333 View Post
Hi All,
I have a quick question about my Thar Diesel MT. I have noticed that whenever i drive on rumblers or small multiple speed breakers at decent slow speeds(20km/h-40km/h) the rear starts fish tailing.
shankar.balan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2022, 22:42   #3246
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Is the sole purpose of your visit this Rooftop Carrier?
Yes Dada, that is the whole purpose. Mother-in-law just arrived in Bangalore from Chandigarh (its very hot towards the North part of India). Now to get her luggage from the Airport to Home, we had to fold one seat. Now with three of us (Wife, Daughter and Me), it was not an issue as we would travel light or have a make shift arrangement.

But will 3 adults, a kid and the luggage, there is a need to get something for rooftop. I am sharing two options that I have in Bengaluru.

Vin4x4 - https://www.instagram.com/reel/CfUMH..._web_copy_link

I had a similar option from Classic Noida, but they asked for 2 weeks of time. My argument with both Vin and Classic was the exoskeleton. If they have installed it on a Thar, probably there will be measurements or cut-outs or a Blue-print already. So the exoskeleton should be ready and once it is ready, they can let me know and I will drop the car for a day or two. After which they can bolt it to the chassis, test it and deliver the vehicle back to me. I even said that I can pay upfront.

Then, like yourself, there are many others who are against this. They are saying not to drill anything. Now there is this alternate solution with no drilling from Bimbra.

No drilling on to chassis and there are clamps across A/B and C Pillar.

Now I am sharing the points across both.

1. Overland Roof rack is costing 37k to 48k. But it can take 200 to 250 kilos of weight and I can stand on it. For reference purpose, I weigh 95 kilos. Bimbra Roof rack costs 19k with installation and called Bimbra, they said not to load more than 110 to 120 kilos.
2. Overland Roof rack, I can climb on it and load whatever I want to or even have rooftop tent. Bimbra, its a big NO for both these option.
3. For installation of Overland Roof rack by Vin4x4, it will take 7 to 8 days, Bimbra is under 1 hour.

Now Wife is saying that for the cost, Overland is better VFM but then she said - 8 days without Thar is a lot. Then there is this notion of booking Scorpio, depending on how much we can recuperate from Thar.

The SA who helped us said that after paying 6 EMI, we are eligible for selling of or trading/exchanging our Thar. Also the Loan is from Mahindra Finance itself. As long as Thar is in our Family, we are certainly looking at the option of Roof top rack.
Old 8th July 2022, 23:57   #3247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swunkjyn View Post
Now Wife is saying that for the cost, Overland is better VFM. Then there is this notion of booking Scorpio, depending on how much we can recuperate from Thar.

The SA who helped us said that after paying 6 EMI, we are eligible for selling of or trading/exchanging our Thar. Also the Loan is from Mahindra Finance itself. As long as Thar is in our Family, we are certainly looking at the option of Roof top rack.
Sir, Don't mean to sound arrogant but didn't you know about space issues earlier?

Anyway, coming back to the topic. The plans you're having about keeping stuff on roof is good for long distances and that too if you venture out for holidays regularly otherwise financially, this doesn't make much sense.

Locally like you gave an example of ferrying from airport, first you'll have to hold that heavy luggage, lift it and then keep it on the roof. Removing it from roof would be difficult too because of vehicle's height. Also do keep in mind you'd need some secure straps to hold it in place and something more secure which ensures that nobody just picks up your stuff over your head without you even noticing.

I know I sound paranoid while saying all this but I've seen this from my eyes how stuff gets stolen and before the driver realised the thief had sprinted in little alley from where he could not be even seen and all this in a traffic jam in densely populated market, got to know later it was quite common.
Old 9th July 2022, 02:49   #3248
BANNED

1.How often do you get or are you likely to have guests with lots of luggage?
2.How often do you plan to do overland travel with three adults one kid and luggage ?
3.Cant you simply do an Uber rental or take a Self drive rental Hexa or similar, during such times?
4. The Thar does definitely have a space challenge in circumstances of this kind. It can, at the very maximum, manage three persons plus luggage and preferably all that luggage has to be carried in soft bag form.
5. If it is absolutely unavoidable I would go to Azad or Vin4x4 or Bimbra and see what they have without any drilling but only mounting using clamps or using large tightening screws.
6. On top of such a roof mounted carrier there will need to be cross bars. I would look for a strong yet lightweight abs plastic/ fibreglass / frp based Thule box to mount on those cross bars, to carry luggage. And this luggage also will have to be in soft bags and has to be only very lightweight items. Because the entire driving dynamics of the Thar is already compromised because it is tall and has a high centre of gravity. Adding a roof rack and rooftop box will only further affect this.
7.And with all this paraphernalia mounted on top one cannot exceed 70-80 kmph at the absolute maximum on a highway. One has to be extremely careful at all times to avoid low hanging tree branches, watch out for those height restriction metal arches on various roads, be extremely careful when taking those long sweeping curves, going over potholes, bumps and rumble strips and speed breakers and while driving on ghat roads in the hills, because one has to allow for the load and centre of gravity shifting from side to side and so on. Also, one has to be extremely mindful when braking- advance anticipatory braking is needed because sudden braking may cause serious gravitational problems with the overhead load being carried.

Basically then, if you want a comfortable and more or less go-anywhere Grand Tourer for 4 persons and a good amount of luggage to be carried within the vehicle, and if this is going to be your primary use case, you are best off saying bye bye to your 3 door Thar and buying a 5 door Harrier or Safari or the new Scorpio N if youre looking for 4WD and all.

But none of these except the Scorpio N can come close to or match the real adventuring off road ability of the Thar. Or you will need to await the 5 door Thar whenever that comes along.

Unless of course you love your Thar so much and you have the resources and space to get another second vehicle as a purely functional, people and luggage mover on a budget, such as an used Innova or Creta or Ertiga or XL6 or even a sedan with a boot or something similar.

In which case you can keep the Thar as your special Fun Toy for your daily commuting and occasional adventuring forays.

In case you plan to sell your Thar and replace it with a more capacious grand touring vehicle, now that the new Scorpio N has been launched, it is prudent to be prepared for the fact that there will be a glut in the market for used Thars, which in turn, will cause a drop in prices.

Its a tough circumstance that you’re faced with, if all of the above describes your situation accurately.

Wishing you all the best in finding a happy solution.

Quote:
Yes Dada, that is the whole purpose. Mother-in-law just arrived in Bangalore from Chandigarh (its very hot towards the North part of India). Now to get her luggage from the Airport to Home, we had to fold one seat. Now with three of us (Wife, Daughter and Me), it was not an issue as we would travel light or have a make shift arrangement.

But will 3 adults, a kid and the luggage, there is a need to get something for rooftop. I am sharing two options that I have in Bengaluru.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 9th July 2022 at 02:53.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 09:47   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
Sir, Don't mean to sound arrogant but didn't you know about space issues earlier?

Anyway, coming back to the topic. The plans you're having about keeping stuff on roof is good for long distances and that too if you venture out for holidays regularly otherwise financially, this doesn't make much sense.

Locally like you gave an example of ferrying from airport, first you'll have to hold that heavy luggage, lift it and then keep it on the roof. Removing it from roof would be difficult too because of vehicle's height. Also do keep in mind you'd need some secure straps to hold it in place and something more secure which ensures that nobody just picks up your stuff over your head without you even noticing.

I know I sound paranoid while saying all this but I've seen this from my eyes how stuff gets stolen and before the driver realised the thief had sprinted in little alley from where he could not be even seen and all this in a traffic jam in densely populated market, got to know later it was quite common.
1. No you are not being arrogant at all, that is you being upfront. When we bought or had thought of Thar, a roof-top rack was always in our minds. Our Parents also agreed with us. The intent of this vehicle was for over-landing. The only constraint we have is time, this is our only vehicle.

2. Well, here is my take on it. Bimbra Roof rack is full fledged but there are no mounting points and costs 20k with installation. However the one I was quoted (if you check the insta post that I have shared), is full over-landing setup. Load carrying capacity is close to 300 kilos, I know that I will not be carrying this much load but it would be helpful to have that figure.

3. Yes, this will be an issue with the Bimbra one and not the over-landing one as it has a ladder.

4. That is a challenge for sure and we cannot leave our luggage unattended but you see roof rack carrier on Innova and many other Private/commercial vehicles plus we would be packing it with chains or a mechanism that is not easy to get rid of.

Last edited by swunkjyn : 9th July 2022 at 09:48.
Old 9th July 2022, 10:17   #3250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
1.How often do you get or are you likely to have guests with lots of luggage?.
1. Usually or mostly it is three of us but I think with the suprise visit from my Mother-in-law, it is time to implement a solution for this.

2. We wanted to go this week itself as my Mother-in-law is in town for 3 weeks from now. The frequency of travelling with more than 2 Adults was more when I was in Himachal (My Parents live there) and going to my Dad's or Mom's Village would require carrying stuff and getting vegetables from there.

3. I did look at this option too but found it to be expensive.

4. Me and My wife would use a convoy of backpack, 4 or 5 of them and just stuff it at the back. We would keep only the required stuff on the seats.

5. I did check with Bimbra and Vin4x4, these are the only one's I have contacted in Bangalore. The non-drill options are not strong enough for me to stand on it and then tie the luggage.

6. Thule's box challenge is that I wont be able to carry loads of luggage for the people travelling onboard. Though you are right in your observation and suggestions, but Dada, I could only find metal options. Probably because of the cost and the ease, no one wants to venture into it.

7. I do not drive fast usually, Thar loves to be around 65 to 90 and also gives good mileage. While being between that speed, from JP Nagar Phase-8 to Airport, I got 14 kmpl mileage for Petrol Manual. I have seen this personally while coming back from Trimula that with speeds over 100 or as you speed up, the mileage starts going down due to the boxy shape of Thar. Though it is yet to be decided, but we do plan to a trip from Bangalore to Shimla and then to Leh/Ladakh from Jammu. On the way back comeback from Manali, like doing a Full circuit. So was thinking of something that also gives me option to mount Jerrycan along with luggage and a roof-top tent. I am asking too much now.

Basically then, if you want a comfortable and more or less go-anywhere Grand Tourer for 4 persons and a good amount of luggage to be carried within the vehicle, and if this is going to be your primary use case, you are best off saying bye bye to your 3 door Thar and buying a 5 door Harrier or Safari or the new Scorpio N if youre looking for 4WD and all.
This is also an option we are looking for. With Scorpio, I wont have to be worried about mounting luggage on the roof-top, just a tent.

But none of these except the Scorpio N can come close to or match the real adventuring off road ability of the Thar. Or you will need to await the 5 door Thar whenever that comes along.
Yes, that is also what we have on your list. Scorpio is no doubt a marvel of a product from Mahindra but Thar SWB helps a lot in tricky situations and I have seen it work for me. In Solang valley, A Fortuner got beached while I had no issues.

Unless of course you love your Thar so much and you have the resources and space to get another second vehicle as a purely functional, people and luggage mover on a budget, such as an used Innova or Creta or Ertiga or XL6 or even a sedan with a boot or something similar.
We do, and are a bit biased to it. Everytime I drive it, it brings a smile to my face and does my Wife likes to drive it. We both have a driving experience of close to 1.6 to 1.7 Lakh kilometers. I have been driving for 20 years now and she has been doing so for 17 to 18 years.

In which case you can keep the Thar as your special Fun Toy for your daily commuting and occasional adventuring forays. In case you plan to sell your Thar and replace it with a more capacious grand touring vehicle, now that the new Scorpio N has been launched, it is prudent to be prepared for the fact that there will be a glut in the market for used Thars, which in turn, will cause a drop in prices. Its a tough circumstance that you’re faced with, if all of the above describes your situation accurately.
Yes Dada, this is not an easy decision for us. We want to hold on to Thar because of Emotional value that it holds and also the capability it has. When we bought it, we were aware that -

The mileage will be less.
Ride will be not like Renault Duster (My in-laws have Duster and it has completed 9 years now).
Space will be an issue.
Its a three door or old folks will have issue getting issue and may feel claustrophobic sitting at the back.

You wont believe that we want to do three things -

1. Make our Thar into over-landing vehicle.
2. Book Scorpio 4x4 Manual or Automatic, depending on how much we can recuperate by selling of Thar.
3. Whenever 5 Door Thar comes, buy it as well.

Bottom-line -

1. If we want to keep the Thar for long, then over-landing is the perfect solution and maybe after 3 years or 4 years, I can trade it off.
2. If we were to sell Thar, then BIMBRA is the offering the best solution with no drilling required onto the chassis or external body.
3. Scorpio is not going to be true-blue off-roader and has a long wheel base which can be tricky in some situation and also has a lesser ground clearance.
4. Thar 5 Door - No one has spotted the Test-mules yet so this will take time to take-off, we are trying to see which option is the best for us for the time-being.

Thank you for being so thorough and understanding the fix we are in. That is why we love TeamBHP.

Last edited by Aditya : 10th July 2022 at 05:01. Reason: Extra smiley deleted
Old 9th July 2022, 10:49   #3251
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AjitSen6333 View Post
I have noticed that whenever i drive on rumblers or small multiple speed breakers at decent slow speeds(20km/h-40km/h) the rear starts fish tailing. .
Like ShankarBalan said, this is quite normal. This fish-tailing in one direction happens because there is not enough time gap between two strips for the suspensions to work.

Quote:
Then, like yourself, there are many others who are against this. They are saying not to drill anything. Now there is this alternate solution with no drilling from Bimbra.
You drill or not, you load only 50kg or 150 - pls remember that the CoG moves higher and the vehicle becomes far less stable. Plus a good drop in FE. And more than this - the cops pulling you over for a roof rack.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2022, 11:53   #3252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
You drill or not, you load only 50kg or 150 - pls remember that the CoG moves higher and the vehicle becomes far less stable. Plus a good drop in FE. And more than this - the cops pulling you over for a roof rack.
I checked this with a Local Cop and he said that Roofrack is not illegal in Himachal for both private or commercial vehicles. I would say that around 25% to 30% travel will be with Full Luggage or 3 adults.
Old 10th July 2022, 00:42   #3253
BHPian

Got the infamous E21 issue today.
This is after a drive from Noida through Chandigarh, Kashmir, and now at Leh.

Ran through a little bit of a watery patch in the hills above the amarnath base camp.. About 1'. Got this error 6 hours later as I was parking in Leh..

Any ideas? Last Servicing was at 9.5k kms... DEF was completely topped up. I'm at 15.3K kms now. Is it an NOX failure pump or just DEF fluid running out?

I'm stuck at Leh thinking about the onward journey to Nubra and Pangong! How much time do I have before E21 goes to E22(800kms left at E2)?

Could anything ruin the show so poorly that I'm totally stuck (no engine ignition allowed)
? I can't find any Mahindra service points on the map here.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220709_214853.jpg  

wooka is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2022, 00:57   #3254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
Got the infamous E21 issue today.
This is after a drive from Noida through Chandigarh, Kashmir, and now at Leh.

Ran through a little bit of a watery patch in the hills above the amarnath base camp.. About 1'. Got this error 6 hours later as I was parking in Leh..

Any ideas? Last Servicing was at 9.5k kms... DEF was completely topped up. I'm at 15.3K kms now. Is it an NOX failure pump or just DEF fluid running out?

I'm stuck at Leh thinking about the onward journey to Nubra and Pangong! How much time do I have before E21 goes to E22(800kms left at E2)?

Could anything ruin the show so poorly that I'm totally stuck (no engine ignition allowed)
? I can't find any Mahindra service points on the map here.
TL;DR - Don't let it bother you, but keep an eye. It should go off in a day/ 2 to 3 driving cycles.

I got this at 30,129 KM, right after my 4th service, and as expected, freaked out.

There is no drop in power, the vehicle is behaving like normal and I cannot go to the service center as I had a few obligations. Called up my SA, he asked me to come in when I can in the next day or two.

I was driving within the city for about 40 or 50 KM, 2 to 4 driving cycles. The error showed again when I started the second driving cycle for sure, but disappeared on its own after the 3rd or 4th.

I did eventually go in to MASS, had a wiring harness recall to complete (owe an ownership update - 30k service and recall, which seems to be only for 2020 vehicles, wasn't there for a friend's May '21 Thar) - which too throws a bunch of errors and have to be cleared. After all that, haven't seen this again.

The error seems occur when dosing of DEF gets interrupted for whatever reason during an auto-regen, and in my Thar there was a later log showing regen competed a little later. I was driving about 59 KM, all within the city.

Last edited by ph03n!x : 10th July 2022 at 01:25.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2022, 09:55   #3255
BHPian

E21 has devolved to E22.
It went from 800 kms to 750 left in just 20 kms on the road! Scary for one up in the hills.

At Mentokling Motors in Leh now. Hoping for a quick resolution! Phoenix here has been most supportive!
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-20220711_082545.jpg  

wooka is online now   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks