Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th August 2022, 12:09   #3376
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mahindra Thar : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by for_cars1 View Post
Too bad if they have discontinued Rocky Beige.

It is one of the most appealing colours and gives the Thar 'in its elements' look
Rocky beige has indeed gone. Vehicle configurator shows just 4 colour now.
starter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 13:30   #3377
udy
BHPian

Looks like Mystic Copper color is gone too. Only Red Rage, Aqua Marine, Napoli Black and Galaxy Grey are showing up in the configurator.
udy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th August 2022, 18:41   #3378
BHPian

Updates (1 visit to Harbir Chandigarh and 1 to Koncept NOIDA):

I got my 20k service done today at ~ 19k KMS on the odo (I have driven it hard and all over the place, thus the early service.)
^ yes, I changed my air filter before the scheduled change. No kidding, it's not a foam filter anymore - paper is rendered useless in 200 kms of following vehicles in Ladhak. Old thar > new thar.

1. HVAC part reached Chandigarh after I left for NOIDA. The part is expected on Monday and I'll get it done mid-week at Koncept.
2. Roof reseating wasn't done since Harbir said that the workers may clip my speakers/dashcam wires!!!
3. DEF valve was replaced at Harbir without fuss.
4. No cap for me.
5. DEF is now topped up thanks to Harbir. And thanks for the 5% on parts and 10% on labor!
6. New s/w 1.01.05 - lets see! I believe principal target is black screen on android auto - not a common sight!
7. Had my fan blower changed completely.
----------------
MISC:
A. Noisy clutch pedal - they sprayed WD40 basically (rust-o-clean mahindra-nonsense) - no fix! Koncept noida sec 2.
B. Tyre rotation and WB and alignment - they tried shortcuts - I had to have them re-do everything. BE VERY CAREFUL about 5 tyre rotations!!!!!! This is Koncept NOIDA sec 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wooka View Post
I am headed to Harbir Motors (Chandigarh) tomorrow morning from NOIDA to get a few things done:

1. HVAC kit replacement due to fogging on the windshield.

2. Roof re-seating (pray this goes well - I just had a carrier installed 2 weeks back.)
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5348888 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

3. DEF dosing valve replacement. I am not OK with whacking the darn thing till it works. It will 'stick' again eventually. What then? This cannot be a repeated phenomenon.
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5355303 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

4. Cap addition on e-MLD? motor wiring
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5358444 (Mahindra Thar : Official Review)

5. DEF top up
(I'm at 10L I believe)

6. Android auto disconnection
(any number of posts here - I had my stereo replaced by Nippon last month - no dice.)
((tried 5 new cables- all quality ones, and three S2x ultra phones.))
(((s.ver is 1.1.04; .05 should have come out by now.)))

7. Fan blower motor is SUPER noisy
I hope this gets resolved with point #1 above. If it doesn't I have a video. This just happened today!

Last edited by wooka : 6th August 2022 at 18:43.
wooka is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th August 2022, 17:04   #3379
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
....has left a bitter taste towards BS 6 diesels and Thar in general. We have been planning this trip since 2020 and the Thar could not make it till the end. It’s like the 2020 Thar is not made for these terrain or rugged conditions. Perhaps it’s better to buy a petrol Thar and use it as a mall crawler.

Now the wait begins to get it fixed at Leh. Fingers crossed.

"....Perhaps it’s better to buy a petrol Thar and use it as a mall crawler". While I empathize with you in your predicament, a "mall crawler or "boulvardier" is not a term I would associate with the petrol Thar. With max torque coming in at 1250 rpm (300 Nm, same as the diesel) for the MT petrol, that's a good 350 rpm (at 1600 rpm) lower than the diesel.

In fact my reason for choosing the petrol MT (I've been in the diesel body-on-frame corner - Tata Sierra & M&M Scorpio - over the past two & a half decades) over the diesel was the T/Charged petrol. Which takes care of the constant nagging in the media that a NA petrol has insipid low down grunt. All those driving a petrol BS6 Thar will vouch for its galvanized performance from as low as 1200 rpm. DEF and DPF issues are something M&M need to address on a war footing.

Last edited by shashanka : 7th August 2022 at 17:07.
Old 7th August 2022, 18:35   #3380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashanka View Post
"....Perhaps it’s better to buy a petrol Thar and use it as a mall crawler". While I empathize with you in your predicament, a "mall crawler or "boulvardier" is not a term I would associate with the petrol Thar. With max torque coming in at 1250 rpm (300 Nm, same as the diesel) for the MT petrol, that's a good 350 rpm (at 1600 rpm) lower than the diesel.

In fact my reason for choosing the petrol MT (I've been in the diesel body-on-frame corner - Tata Sierra & M&M Scorpio - over the past two & a half decades) over the diesel was the T/Charged petrol. Which takes care of the constant nagging in the media that a NA petrol has insipid low down grunt. All those driving a petrol BS6 Thar will vouch for its galvanized performance from as low as 1200 rpm. DEF and DPF issues are something M&M need to address on a war footing.
Buddy, I have waited 11 months for a Thar to be delivered and in the between have test driven the petrol Thar at least 3 times and it’s a brilliant car. It’s absolutely brilliant. Perhaps I should have been more contextual. The only reason I would not take a petrol Thar to Zanskar is the tank range vis-a-vis the mileage I will get. There were stretches where an auto diesel would return sub-6 kmpl and I can’t imagine what the petrol will do. This will substantially compromise the range and the fuel costs will be astronomical. Hence I will not prefer a petrol Thar for an off roading trip to the Himalayas. Yes the manual MT will definitely do better but I was referring to the auto variant given my use case. Regardless, if I buy a Thar in the future it will be petrol.

P.S: There is a reason why diesel Thars have been high on demand despite the petrol variant being very good. I will leave you to think about it.

Last edited by Pancham : 7th August 2022 at 18:39.
Pancham is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 17:59   #3381
BHPian

Hello Guys, Is the new Thar equipped with Anti Theft Alarm? If yes, how can I check if it really works?
Old 8th August 2022, 21:59   #3382

Hello Guys,

I own a Thar Diesel MT currently 6500 kms on the odo, for the last two days whenever i turn off the vehicle i could hear a tak . . tak. . . tak sound coming from around the glove box area for 3-4 seconds. Today i tried to isolate the snag and noticed that whenever i turn on/off the ac re-circulation thats exactly when i hear this sound coming. Am not really sure what the issue is but it has probably something to do with the vents that control the re-circulation, again am just guessing this. If anyone could please shed some light on this. Recently i had a dpf issue and now this comes up. Thar and its tantrums!!
Old 9th August 2022, 05:21   #3383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaypatrol View Post
Hello Guys, Is the new Thar equipped with Anti Theft Alarm? If yes, how can I check if it really works?
From the manual -

Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220809_051421.jpg
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 08:31   #3384
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
From the manual -

Attachment 2343710
Brochure says the car is equipped with anti theft alarm feature, is it the same as Engine Immobiliser?
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra Thar : Official Review-screenshot_20220809082609.jpg  

highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 09:27   #3385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Brochure says the car is equipped with anti theft alarm feature, is it the same as Engine Immobiliser?
You missed the last part of that snip - the "Notice" .

It has both alarm and immobilizer.
ph03n!x is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 10:56   #3386
BHPian

Thanks @ph03n!x, If that is the case, then technically when we lock the car using smart key and after 1 minute if we try to unlock the car using manual key, while opening the door the alarm should start buzzing. However it doesn't happen on my car. Can you also check if this happens with your Thar?

Does this alarm require a specific activation like they do for Maruti cars?
highwaypatrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 11:27   #3387
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @ph03n!x, If that is the case, then technically when we lock the car using smart key and after 1 minute if we try to unlock the car using manual key, while opening the door the alarm should start buzzing. However it doesn't happen on my car. Can you also check if this happens with your Thar?

You are right! Opening with the key after locking it remotely does not trigger the alarm!

Will get this checked ASAP!
ph03n!x is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 21:07   #3388
BHPian

Quote:
You are right! Opening with the key after locking it remotely does not trigger the alarm!

It is the same case for my Thar as well. Not sure if it intentional since we received only one smart key and one normal key with the vehicle in March this year (probably due to chip shortage).
Please keep us posted regarding what you find.

Thanks.
vaasu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 22:34   #3389
BHPian

Since we are on this. Can someone please tell me what exactly is "Tow Hitch Protection"? I could not find anything about it online.

Name:  Screenshot_20220809082609.jpg
Views: 1136
Size:  108.4 KB
batish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2022, 06:21   #3390
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:

As the key is mapped from the factory like that there is never an alarm issue. I use the keys interchangeably a lot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaasu View Post
Not sure if it intentional since we received only one smart key and one normal key with the vehicle in March this year
Since the initial lot, Thar always had one Smart key and another normal key.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks